Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteely Dan appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steely Dan appreciation
    Posted: May 21 2010 at 12:04
Recently got into this band in a big way.  Picked up Aja almost blind (didn't even know if it was the best place to start), and after a lot of drooling over it LOL revisited Pretzel Logic which I had heard a long time back but hadn't been blown away and so on and so forth.  I think they are going to be one of my all time favourite bands easy.  Aja is my favourite so far but also really love Royal Scam and Countdown to Ecstacy.  Katy Lied and Pretzel Logic a little behind, followed by Gaucho and Can't Buy A Thrill which have their flaws but are still worthy.  I don't know how prog or not they are and I am not going to rekindle an old debate LOL because I really don't care about it, few bands are so perfect for my tastes as Steely Dan.   What do YOU think?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 12:16
Yeah, I didn't pay much attention to these guys though they were well regarded amongst prog fans I knew.  What made them finally click for me was when I got the box set of their '70's stuff.  I like their new albums, too but it's hard to top the old stuff. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 21 2010 at 12:16
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 12:19
Haven't got to Everything Must Go yet but I quite liked Two Against Nature. No real changes to their style and yet doesn't sound pale or stagnant...strange, that, lots of old bands go either of those two ways, Steely Dan simply carried on where they had left all those years back.  But yeah, doesn't top the old stuff. not nearly. 
Ronnie Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:11
I'm all in! Steely Dan is my favorite band, prog or not. They have "progressed" through time, and I love material from their first album as much as material from their latest one (and all points in between).

Edited by Ronnie Pilgrim - May 21 2010 at 13:13
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 16:50
Only really got into them recently as the band I'm in do a few of their numbers. They're great to play, some of the chord structures they use are just wonderful. I reckon the middle period was probably their best - Kid Charlemagne and Haitian Divorce.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 20:14
Yeah, wonderful chord sequences even on their simpler songs like Peg. Kid Charlemagne is simply amazing, especially the massive change right after the chorus.Clap  Green Earrings from the same album too, with its three ripping solos.
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 15:11
Elegant mixture of pop and jazz. I discovered them through 'royal scam'. A lot of great musicians played with them (and often jazz-related) : Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta, Larry Carlton, Steve Gadd, Jim Keltner, Jeff Porcaro, David Paich, Joe Sample, Chuck Rainey, Rick Derringer, Dean Parks, Tom Scott.

Donald Fagen released threee excellent solo albums after they disbanded.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Elegant mixture of pop and jazz. I discovered them through 'royal scam'. A lot of great musicians played with them (and often jazz-related) : Bernard Purdie, Rick Marotta, Larry Carlton, Steve Gadd, Jim Keltner, Jeff Porcaro, David Paich, Joe Sample, Chuck Rainey, Rick Derringer, Dean Parks, Tom Scott.

I've heard it said that they are musician's musicians.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 22:10
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Porcaro has talked about how hard Fagen and Becker made them work just to get a drum track right for Gaucho.  Funny the album itself didn't seem to justify that much effort and perfectionism though it was a good album again from SD.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 05:10
The first DVD I purchased:

Not making it up. Big smile

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 14:05
I wrote about SD sub-gen and i think Jazz rock/fusion is good for this great band. I love 2 first albums and AJA  is special for me. I listen fagen and becker solo albums and i think if they join then they can release more better stuff.
pied piper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 03:58
I do love the band: I still remember the first time I heard "Do it again", in 1973.
I was disappointed when they disbanded, and I loved Fagen's "Nightfly". I was very glad when they regrouped!
I had been lucky to see them on stage, while touring Italy: superb music, extraordinary musicians.
Of course it's no progressive, but I'm used to listen to many genres.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 05:15
I am in LOVE with their first time.
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:25
Pretty great band.  My father was a pretty big fan in the 70s so I was very familiar with all their albums even way back then, and I still listen to them now.  I've never thought "Can't Buy a Thrill" was all that great, except for the godlike track "Do it Again".  But otherwise, all the albums through Gaucho are great.  My personal favorite is either "Countdown to Ecstasy" or "Royal Scam" - endlessly complex and entertaining, both of them.  Fagen's first solo album "Nightfly" is quite neat too - a real original sounding 50s/80s hybrid, very alluring. 

I got "Two Against Nature" when it came out, but something essential seemed to be missing.  It seemed to have all the style but none of the substance of Steely Dan. Granted, by the time of Gaucho, their sound had already begun to get more homogenized, but there were still interesting compositional quirks or unexpected happenings in the songs here and there.  Two Against Nature just sounds like warm milk - smooth and bland.  I haven't bothered to try "Everything Must Go", but I don't have my hopes up.

Edited by HolyMoly - May 25 2010 at 11:26
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:26
Originally posted by pied piper pied piper wrote:

I was disappointed when they disbanded, and I loved Fagen's "Nightfly". I was very glad when they regrouped!

Yeah, I love Nightfly too, lovely jazz pop Smile, couldn't believe it was that a**h*** singing so earnestly and, at places, tenderly, actually. LOL
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:30
I think Countdown is the most  prog-compatible of their albums. After that, Aja for the two big jazz fusion-ish tracks and then Royal Scam has an APP rocking much harder than usual feeling.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:42
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I got "Two Against Nature" when it came out, but something essential seemed to be missing.  

I suggest you try smoking a good bowl, kicking back and enjoying the note by note perfection that is  "What a Shame About Me." Wink
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:44
All of you fans, check out this album:

You won't regret it, it's great.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 11:46
Have been meaning to get to that. How about the one in the middle...something starting with K? LOL
Norman Kiddie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2010 at 12:03
WinkSteely Dan are one of the best bands on the planet. Check out Donald Fagan and Walter Becker solo projects and albums created as a duo. They retain a lot of the typical Steely Dan sound, and are timeless additions to any collection. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>