Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Pretty Things

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pretty Things
    Posted: May 21 2010 at 12:31
If they're not on here already I'm pretty sure there's a good reason but... I believe The Pretty Things should be on here in Proto-prog for their contribution of this album:

One of the first major rock operas, went on to influence alot of progressive artists, especially the ones who did concept albums.  Shouldn't they be added? 

Edited by The Truth - May 21 2010 at 12:32
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 13:28
I think that album has Proto-Prog merits, but one concern that has been raised with including The Pretty Things has been the large discography which is mostly not considered PA worthy at all (personally, I'd rather an album focus rather than band/discography focus -- one  album deemed appropriate and you're in, and I question the necessity for including full discographies -- when it comes to inclusion, but that's my personal bias).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2010 at 16:20

I wasn't really aware they had a large discography but I didn't really think to look at that LOL I think the same thing happened with Led Zeppelin...  Led Zeppelin IV was the only truly prog album in their discography but they were still added but I guess there are still some prog tendencies in their other albums...

(I know that if X is here then Y should be here deal is frowned upon, but I thought this was worth mentioning.)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 11:47
It's frowned on by some, but I think it depends upon how it's approached (usually by choosing acts that sound similar that are in PA).

Provided that the if x is here then y should be here deal (or better yet, if x is here then there is a case for y) is an apples vs. apples comparison , then it's perfectly valid and right to mention. Anyway, I think it's fine and right to consider precedents.  Methinks Zep's case is too different to be a great example.  Even if we aren't doing it that consciously, we consider precedents and similar bands in PA (and for Prog Related and Proto-Prog it's common to use them to make the case)

Side note: I think of Houses of the Holy as more "prog" (rather loathe that word for describing so much of the music under PA's umbrella)) than IV, but there's a lot of material in various albums that I think of as proggy ("Achilles Last Stand", "Carouselambra" "No Quarter", "In the Light"...).

Edited by Logan - May 22 2010 at 11:49
Just a fanboy passin' through.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 20:06

the Pretty Who? I never heard of them, but when it comes to early rock opera's even The Kinks beat those guys to it.

Face To Face (1966) or The Village Green Preservation Society (1968) preseded The Pretty Things thingy (S.F. Sorrow). and The Kinks did trully progressive rock (70's Kinks is rock opera stretched over several albums worth of content). So basically I agree, but only if The Kinks are added aswell (and following tradition prior to The Pretty Things)

which reminds me, is Spirit already added, cos I Got A Line On YouTongue

anyway. The Pretty Things are nice, but too much just a small band following in the footsteps of their bigger brothers and contempory's(most notably The Who, but also some Rolling Stones Beatles and The Kinks influence).They themselves where not really progressive I think.

and I don't think they really influenced anyone on their own accord.

Keith West (and Tomorow) however. which begs the question is Keith West already added on the strength of A Teenage Opera (didn't Steve Howe played in that band)

Edited by tuxon - May 22 2010 at 20:22
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
krishl View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 15:24
I'd never heard of TPF until I got the boxed set Supernatural Fairy Tales: The Progressive Rock Era (many years ago).  The first CD of that set includes Private Sorrow / Balloon Burning off of S.F.Sorrow.  I think that both S.F.Sorrow and Parachute are suitably proggy that The Pretty Things should be included as proto-prog or perhaps as prog-related.  I think they're every bit as proggy as Klaatu or Ambrosia, for example.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 15:49
They deserve to be here at least for S.F. Sorrow.

And i support Logan's argument.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2010 at 16:27
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

Keith West (and Tomorow) however. which begs the question is Keith West already added on the strength of A Teenage Opera (didn't Steve Howe played in that band)
West as in Tomorrow with Howe - Tomorrow is here (in Proto Prog), West as a solo artist is not. A Teenage Opera was neither Keith West nor Tomorrow, but Mark Wirtz - West and Howe were just the hired help. One song, "Grocer Jack (An Excerpt From A Teenage Opera)", was released as a solo single in West's name, but the full opera was relased under Wirtz's own name 29 years later.

Edited by Dean - July 14 2010 at 16:31
What?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 07:42
I would vote them in for Proto Prog for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply