Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin Prog Rock Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin Prog Rock Songs
    Posted: July 06 2012 at 21:43
I think you'd have to listen to "When the Levee Breaks". It is by my definition, a progressive blues song. Also many songs off Physical Grafitti, a particular favorite being "Ten Years Gone"
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
wjohnd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 14:32
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

HeadbangerZep is Zep, beyond catagory,

This.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 13:29

HeadbangerZep is Zep, beyond catagory,

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Theat001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 13:22
Honestly the only album I didn't find proggy was their first which wasn't really their songs... so
Theat001 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2012 at 13:20
I agree. Zeppelin were progressive in many ways... progressive just wasn't really a term yet. Of course there are distinctions but they we're definitely forward thinking.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 12:12
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in my honest opinion Led Zeppelin are a full-fledged progressive rock band, as are for example Deep Purple or Wishbone Ash too.  but I know that many won't agree with me. however, in the 70s these distinctions were never made anyway. Led Zeppelin were one of the bands which tried something different. and that's what counted

No, many won't agree with you Jean, but I most certainly do.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 05:40
in my honest opinion Led Zeppelin are a full-fledged progressive rock band, as are for example Deep Purple or Wishbone Ash too.  but I know that many won't agree with me. however, in the 70s these distinctions were never made anyway. Led Zeppelin were one of the bands which tried something different. and that's what counted

Edited by BaldJean - May 31 2010 at 05:41

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Wiktor Hatif View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 01:48
I always loved "Carouselambra" - maybe because of the "gizmo" that was used there (if you don't know, gizmo is an invention for guitar by Godley & Creme of 10cc)
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 23:47
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Achilles Last Stand
Kashmir
No Quarter
The Rain Song
Dazed and Confused

All the above have tons of prog elements and then some!! Wink

Too bad that your reflection is 35 years later, and the term was not even used until 20 years ago!

At the time music had a lot of experimental elements and Led Zeppelin were just as much at the forefront of it, specially in concert, as they were in their music.

Sadly no one gives Jimmy the credit he should deserve as being a master musician that was way up and ahead of others and he had a good knack for adjusting, adding and bringing things together in any jam and experiment, which is something that you can't teach and is the most important factor in the definition and birth of what we came to call "progressive".

It was a special time. And it we are not men enough to consider those progressive, then we need to come up with a new term and I, for one, will quit the "prog" scene ... and call it DIVINE.

It's just weird seeing terminology aplied to music that could have given a damn about what it was ... and most people are missing the point of the music and what it meant to those that were doing it ,.. it wasn't because it was "prog" ... it was because that's what you had inside your heart and the time and place helped you bring it out! ... this f**king prog illusion is so sick!
Hey I wouldn't be so hard on the genre tagging side of things. A charcteristic of humans ( most) that we compartmentalize and PA's strength is that we do what is best to find the right fit for the artists..

I wholeheartedley agree however that Jimmy Page was well ahead of his time, does not get enough credit sometimes and LZ were experimental ( playing a guitar with a violin bow springs to mind) ( Sandy Denny singing on Battle of Evermore another)

They truly were the Rock masters. Untouchable IMO.

Thanks Chris for your comments. Smile
Moshkito:
I am surprised that using the terminology highlighted in my quote could draw such criticism and pedantic analysis!! Yes - I agree Jimmy Page should be given more credit as a Master musician. But what has that got to do with the term "prog" - which is a commonly used shortened version of "progressive" and used by most PA'ers.??. In relation to my posting that is all that it implied and nothing else - but then why am I justifying my use of that terminology? It certainly was not a throw away remark. I think there are better things to focus on than a commonly used term, which I and most others use with affection!  ConfusedErmm

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 06:34
Kashmir,
Carouselambra,
No Quarter,
The Rain Song...

hell...even "Stairway to Heaven" to me has a prog influence...the mood, the atmosphere, the visionary lyrics, the structure (a crescendo to the rockin' final)...
]
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 17:54
Originally posted by AbrahamSapien AbrahamSapien wrote:

What about Tea For one and in fact the whole Presence album?

Tea For One is basically a slow blues.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 17:14

It's just weird seeing terminology aplied to music that could have given a damn about what it was ... and most people are missing the point of the music and what it meant to those that were doing it ,.. it wasn't because it was "prog" ... it was because that's what you had inside your heart and the time and place helped you bring it out! ... this f**king prog illusion is so sick!

relax, it's called history and that's how it works--  Jazz wasn't 'Jazz' till it was "Jazz"

..what are we supposed to do, mumble like idiots about "that cool, flashy, long-winded stuff in the 70s, y'know like that there Jethro Tull guy with the flute."

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 14:45

Achilles Last Stand
Kashmir
No Quarter
The Rain Song
Dazed and Confused

Too bad that your reflection is 35 years later, and the term was not even used until 20 years ago!

At the time music had a lot of experimental elements and Led Zeppelin were just as much at the forefront of it, specially in concert, as they were in their music.

Sadly no one gives Jimmy the credit he should deserve as being a master musician that was way up and ahead of others and he had a good knack for adjusting, adding and bringing things together in any jam and experiment, which is something that you can't teach and is the most important factor in the definition and birth of what we came to call "progressive".

It was a special time. And it we are not men enough to consider those progressive, then we need to come up with a new term and I, for one, will quit the "prog" scene ... and call it DIVINE.

Hey I wouldn't be so hard on the genre tagging side of things. A charcteristic of humans ( most) that we compartmentalize and PA's strength is that we do what is best to find the right fit for the artists..

I wholeheartedley agree however that Jimmy Page was well ahead of his time, does not get enough credit sometimes and LZ were experimental ( playing a guitar with a violin bow springs to mind) ( Sandy Denny singing on Battle of Evermore another)

They truly were the Rock masters. Untouchable IMO.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 14:28

Achilles Last Stand
Kashmir
No Quarter
The Rain Song
Dazed and Confused

Edited by moshkito - May 29 2010 at 14:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Caliban View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 14:12
Gernerally just the longer songs and those with multiple genres incorporated, which is many.
AbrahamSapien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 00:47
What about Tea For one and in fact the whole Presence album?
javier0889 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:59
The Rain Song is my favorite prog song from Zep. Mostly because it showcases the criminally underrated talent of John Paul Jones. He was very prog if you think about it: just playing there, not as wild as Plant, Page or Bonzo. Also he provided keyboards and mellotron. JPJ could have been a great prog rock musician.... imagine him in 70's Crimson.

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:41
Achilles Last Stand
Kashmir
No Quarter
The Rain Song
Dazed and Confused

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 22:00
Originally posted by WatcherOfTheSkies88 WatcherOfTheSkies88 wrote:

Led Zeppelin isn't really a progressive rock band... most of their songs aren't that complex or prog sounding, although they did have a fair share of 6+ minute long songs. However, IMO, they've made a few excellent progressive rock songs in their history. "Stairway to Heaven" is probably the most obvious example, since it is multi-part and is longer than 8 minutes. "Whole Lotta Love" is another one, with the long middle section with lots of weird noises. Other ones: No Quarter, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused, Battle of Evermore, How Many More Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, In My Time of Dying, Caroselambra, When The Levee Breaks, In The Light and Friends. However, I think their prog masterpiece, and the best song they've ever done, is the 10 minute "Achilles Last Stand". It's probably the most complex song they've done, and it is just incredible. Page's guitar solo is one of the all time best. Anyway, what songs of Zeppelin do you consider progressive, and which is your favorite?
ClapClapClapClap

I have to agree, Zeppelin's finest energized moment. Forget whether it is prog or not....who caresSmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 21:41
Presence while not as good as the first 6 albums is still pretty darn underrated.

PG is exellent and my fourth favorite after HOTH, II and III.

Custard Pie, Kashmir, In My Time Of Dying, Ten Years Gone, In the Light, Houses of the Holy, The Rover, Down by the Seaside and Trampled Under Foot are all great. I do think the 4th side is the weakest, like they crammed all the filler into that side of the album, these songs are listenable but uninspired, and they lack the punch of everything from the first 3 sides, so I like to pretend that Ten Years Gone is the real closer and everything after is just bonus material. Because the first 3 sides are perfect.

Edited by boo boo - May 28 2010 at 22:17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>