Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Faceless -> extreme tech/insane/prog/death met
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Faceless -> extreme tech/insane/prog/death met

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Faceless -> extreme tech/insane/prog/death met
    Posted: May 27 2010 at 23:29
IMO, The Faceless is the best tech/../../death metal, followed close by Between the buried and me. Anyone else think that or what group u think it? I feel like they are writing 20 mins song and they make them fit in 5 minutes songs.

here's some vids if u dont know them

Aren'T THEY ePIC? Rawks
paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 02:27
I totally believe you. 8 out of 10 of my favorite prog metal bands are little known. Many undiscovered gems in this genre.
av View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 03:06
I've listened Planetary Duality couple of times, nice stuff! Probably just got to listen more to get into it, bands weak part would be vocalist though, I find those parts a little bit "spiritless".
Breathe in Breathe out

http://www.myspace.com/constantineoffinland
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 11:46
Damn... I'm getting that album.. It's good! 
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 11:56
You should like this band :

"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 17:20
They sound a lot like the bands Arsis and Necrophagist.

That's one problem I find with technical death metal: most of the bands sound quite similar
Black Rose Immortal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 17:56

listen carefully dude, The Faceless really made a unique sound, listen to to song completly, they are full of OMG riff rly original, with metalcore aspects that fits so well with the style and awesome solos mteal/ pink floyd style.IMO, they really dont look like any other groups.The Faceless= Unique

Edited by Black Rose Immortal - May 28 2010 at 17:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 19:48
Originally posted by Black Rose Immortal Black Rose Immortal wrote:

listen carefully dude, The Faceless really made a unique sound, listen to to song completly, they are full of OMG riff rly original, with metalcore aspects that fits so well with the style and awesome solos mteal/ pink floyd style.IMO, they really dont look like any other groups.The Faceless= Unique

Yeah, Necrophagist and Arsis are full of those things too.  I've heard them all, I've seen them all live, the are extremely similar
el_macleod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 21:02
Not sure if troll? 
... Yes, that was Random.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 23:31
Originally posted by el_macleod el_macleod wrote:

Not sure if troll? 

I'm not trolling, it's evident that OP hasn't heard any other tech death metal bands if he thinks The Faceless are extremely unique
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 02:45
By default, technical death metal is extremely limited in it's sound. I find this music pretty boring from Atheist and onwards, but The Faceless album is on my to-do-reviews list and I hope I will get onto them this year.......  
Black Rose Immortal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 02:52
I hope too, cause right now , I'm really drunk, and after per un amico playing, i'll go with Xenochrist, and i'llbe appreciating it alot.( it took me some time too to rly apreciate thier music )
Caliban View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 14:16
Any Demilllich fans?
enemyofthesundevils View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 22:51
Check out Brain Drill. With a stupid name like that one would think they were some generic old school death metal band.  Similar to Necrophagist but even more technical and their new album ends with a 16  minute masterpiece(last 5 minutes are noise).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 23:08
Yeah I've heard Braindrill too

They're actually slightly different then the other 3 bands mentioned.  I guess Arsis is a bit different too because of the clean parts, but not so much
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 12:48
The most "elegant" and classy brutal tech death remains SUFFOCATION in my opinion.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 12:58
Suffocation, "elegant"?...
Either I really should check them, or you are drunk, my good fellow.

By the way, The Faceless will play in Paris very soon, but opening for some deathcore bands. I'm not sure if I feel like discovering them in such conditions.

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2010 at 18:51
pffffft.

nobody.  and I mean NOBODY will ever top the kings from Canada, Gorguts and Martyr.  OH and Cynic (even modern day Cynic) would conclude a trio in my opinion of the best.  all this other stuff is just blast-fest noodling with no direction or dynamics or feeling.  I need dynamics.  You can sweep pick until the cows come home, but if the solos and riffs are not novel and unique (in a word- dissonant or jazzy for my tastes- not typical chord progressions), they are just putting me to sleep.  I have the new Brain Drill and it is a whirlwind of just w**k with nothing memorable.  I love technical metal when it is done right, but most of these new bands don't know what is up.  another example:  Son Of Aurelius, their new album is just consecutive sweep arpeggios strung together.  I get it, you can play fast.... but can you combine that with feeling and dynamics?  Their are too many homogenous and generic tech metal bands out there.  Nothing sticks out as really memorable for me these days.  The Faceless are okay I suppose, but they obviously are utilizing the same wheel that godfathers like Cynic (vocoder vocals?  hello- Cynic?!)and Atheist already fabricated.  I guess I am more picky because 1) I have been listening to tech metal for about 15 years, and 2) I am a musician.  Just as a historical reference, do yourself a favor and listen to Gorguts' "obscura", I think you may find it still is fresh today.  (what a feat, considering a lot of that material was written in the mid to late nineties)The same can be said from their album "from wisdom to hate" or even their early death metal material is unique for that period.  Also, all the Martyr albums are unbeatable.  Canada has a fairly lively scene for this sort of music.  Ion Dissonance's first album is great too..... I could never fully get into Cryptopsy though.  Quo Vadis is decent.  ah, hell, not trying to rain on your parade man, but these are just my opinions on the current state of Technical metal.  Also, check out Watchtower, Sieges Even (early material), and Spastic Ink, or even Blotted Science (Machinations Of Dementia).  Drottnar is another unique technical black metal band.  Extol wrote some killer stuff in this vein.  Check out their "Synergy" album...

also, check out this thread:

and here is my contribution:
(fourth post down)

also, if you go further in that thread, you can learn more and more.....

Edited by avalanchemaster - June 05 2010 at 18:52
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 04:48
Aaaaah, the wrath of the Old Ones... I guess you won't like Behold The Arctopus (I must confess I have hard times with this band: great musicians, but I wonder if they WRITE) or the "Brutal Prog" stuff.
It remembers me I have 2 mp3 by Son Of Aurelius: not bad, but it's not like I found an unique band - Gigan seems more interesting.

Back to the topic: from what I hear on the, er, "vids", The Faceless is a nice band, but, once again, I fail to feel really moved. Just like avalanchemaster, I must be old and tired (Pestilence anyone?).

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 09:50
haha.  yeah, I'm an old fart by now.  but 34 isn't that old is it?

yeah, so Pestilence... great stuff, except for that latest atrocity of boring straightforward death metal... I am one of the few people who thought/thinks Spheres was a great album.... "consuming impulse" is one excellent technical thrash album...  Testimony Of The Ancients is interesting too.... I should also mention that I have seen The Faceless on that Cynic/Meshuggah/The Faceless tour of last year... and they put on a great live show.  I was surprised to see such young guys holding it down.  Almost any tech band is more impressive live. (at least skills-wise) The main guitarist was a sweepaholic.  It is rumored that the latest US Cynic tour will include their album Focus played through its entirety for those interested...

Oh and CPicard, I DO like Behold The Arctopus, they have stayed at my place during two tours, and I have seen them twice... great guys.  They are what tech metal should be... with their ambient interludes and crazed multi-layered compositions.  Plus the drummer is no slouch and mixes it up more than just straigthforward blasting. How many tech bands utilize a Warr Guitar?  I am fickle I guess about my tech metal.

http://www.cyniconline.com/index.php?sub=tour
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>