Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Morning Jacket for Prog Related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Morning Jacket for Prog Related
    Posted: May 28 2010 at 07:52

Edited by ko - May 28 2010 at 11:16
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 08:20
They're without suspicion a great Alternative-pop band but not much influenced by progressive scene nor influential upon other progressive rock bands (especially the latter is important methinks).

IMHO not fit for PA.
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 13:58
IMHO, MMJ get alot of influences, from Pink Floyd to The Dead, also from that alternative country scene, and beyond. A perfect example of todays Prog Related, no question.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 18:52
Originally posted by ko ko wrote:

IMHO, MMJ get alot of influences, from Pink Floyd to The Dead, also from that alternative country scene, and beyond. A perfect example of todays Prog Related, no question.
And, which younger progressive rock bands can they obviously influence upon, for example? Confused
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 22:09
Never IMO in a month of Sundays.......Indie/Alternative , but very nice too.

Edited by Chris S - May 28 2010 at 22:09
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2010 at 22:37
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Never IMO in a month of Sundays.......Indie/Alternative , but very nice too.
Thanks mucho. Smile
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 04:32
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Originally posted by ko ko wrote:

And, which younger progressive rock bands can they obviously influence upon, for example? Confused
I respect your opinion. Ok, sometimes it is hard to make a line beetwen "alternative" or "indie" and Prog (and Prog Related especialy!). I dont understood your question, though.Confused  Why should any Prog Related act ought to be influential to younger progressive rock artists? Personally, i dont think so. Pretty un-logical, in my opinion. I concerned that a Prog Related act ought to recieve some Prog influences. Thats not Proto Prog from 60s, what ought to be influential to younger progressive rock artists from 70's to 00's. I didn't sugested MMJ for Proto Prog, what they surely couldn't be.

Edited by ko - May 29 2010 at 08:44
boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 22:39

Fantastic band, one of the finest American bands around today. I don't think they have enough prog elements for inclusion but Off the Record does have that lengthy jam with the mellotron which has a very 70s prog sound. Pink Floyd certainly have some influence on them but I dunno about any other prog bands. My Morning Jacket have a very retro sound rooted in everything from classic rock to new wave, though they still have their own sound.

Edited by boo boo - May 31 2010 at 22:42
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 22:58
Please KO, Indie/Alternative is not Prog or Prog Related, despite who influenced them.

Iván

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 23:36

They don't really sound like any other indie/alt rock band though. Indie/alternative like prog is a very vague term and it's not impossible for the two to overlap, especially because both share some of the same ideals.

And after all there are a few bands listed here such as The Decemberists, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai who are associated with the indie movement.

I don't think My Morning Jacket should be added but they don't really sound like any other indie/alternative band band, their primary alt rock influences are Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev. Radiohead is already in the archive as crossover prog and the other two belong there as well, I believe.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 01:34
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

And after all there are a few bands listed here such as The Decemberists, Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai who are associated with the indie movement.

I don't think My Morning Jacket should be added but they don't really sound like any other indie/alternative band band, their primary alt rock influences are Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Mercury Rev. Radiohead is already in the archive as crossover prog and the other two belong there as well, I believe.

Radiohead has a lot of alternative components appart from Prog.

Iván

boo boo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 03:15
Well Radiohead are one of those bands who are straight up impossible to shoehorn into a single category especially considering how drastic their evolution has been.

It's true that Radiohead aren't really that fond of progressive rock outside of Floyd, electronic prog and krautrock. But like many prog bands they have strong jazz, classical and avant garde influences and incorporate a surprising amount of the prog elements listed in this site's "definition of progressive rock music" page.

Pablo honey is straight up alternative rock. The Bends is still rooted in the alt rock sound of Nirvana, REM and Pixies but it also introduces some of the proggier elements that the band would continue to experiment with. OK Computer is their real crossover album between their early sound and their later work. KID A, Amnesiac and HTTT don't sound like any alternative rock band I've ever heard and they're all extremely progressive. In Rainbows is somewhat of a back to basics with a more stripped down guitar based sound, though the odd time signatures and ethereal atmosphere remains intact. Are they a straight up prog band? No, they aren't straight up anything. But they certainly deserve to be listed as crossover prog.

As for Flaming Lips, they have also been through quite an evolution in their 27 year career. They started out as a punk band, then a noise rock band, then a psychedelic alternative rock band and now they're a band with more similarities to psychedelia and prog than alternative rock. Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Hawkwind, Can and The Moody Blues are all influences. So they have quite a lot of prog influences and it shows from Zaireeka and onwards. FL for crossover prog is something I could see.

Edited by boo boo - June 01 2010 at 03:23
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 07:10

MMJ did do a number of great covers of the songs originaly made by very different artists from very different a genres of popular music. I know that MMJ will not be added in PR category - end of disscusion - but this is really worthy to hear :

Erykah Badu cover

The Velvet Underground cover

The Who cover (live with Eddie Vedder)

EDIT: Those awesome Jefferson Airplane and Elton John covers, I posted above.

Edited by ko - June 01 2010 at 07:34
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 08:38
Originally posted by boo boo boo boo wrote:

(...) As for Flaming Lips, they have also been through quite an evolution in their 27 year career. They started out as a punk band, then a noise rock band, then a psychedelic alternative rock band and now they're a band with more similarities to psychedelia and prog than alternative rock. Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Frank Zappa, Hawkwind, Can and The Moody Blues are all influences. (...)
101% agreed with you regarding FL.

genesis_pig View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 18:40
I have heard few songs of MMJ..
which is the best album to start with?
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 18:54
Originally posted by genesis_pig genesis_pig wrote: