Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI love Prog... and Rap Too!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:02
Just got a new record called I f**king Hate Rappers by an MC called PackFM. Calling out mainstream rappers for being wack is nothing new but this is a conceptual album dedicated entirely to that, PackFM speaking on how even though he does rap for a job he is pretty much nothing but irritated by most other rappers, their creative output and trends in hip-hop. Even opens with a hilarious skit where he goes to a support group for people who can't stand hip-hop and has to confess that he is a rapper himself but can't quit.
Unfortunately though, the album isn't that good- it's short and has quite a few skits. Same thing was true of one of my fave rap albums of all time, I Phantom, but on that album, the MC, Mr Lif, blazed like a supernova star lyrically and made it count. PackFM is a bit average by comparison. His heart is in the right place but the skills don't seem to be there. Still it's interesting to see a rapper expressing the frustration and dislike many outside of the genre feel.

I much preferred the thematically similar but musically/lyrically stronger Hood Treason (2007) by NY Oil.
CinemaZebra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 14:20
Just finished Haiku D'Etat's self-titled album, and I gotta say it's close to a masterpiece. The rhyming is always clever, the beats are fantastic, and the cool flow of the entire release never lets up.

Highly recommended.
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2010 at 10:50
Can I kick it?

Yes you can.

Tribe, they're the best, man. I saw them live. When they opened with Excursions, it was incredible.

Nas is AMAZING. Jay-Z has his moments (when I say moments, I mean entire albums of awesome). Mobb Deep. How can you not like NWA? Kanye is a actually a talented producer. Learned it from the man, J-Dilla (Donuts is the best album ever). Biggie's first album is brilliant.

Ooo!! Eric B and Rakim! They're SO good. Rakim's flow and lyricism is unmatched. Common has some of the best tracks in hip hop.

If you can wander through my incoherent list, good for you! Hip hop is one of the most powerful and accessible forms of self-expression, and should not simply be cast aside out of arrogance. It has much to offer for everyone (and yes, I said everyone. I have no doubt you could sample a country song or a polka song. It's probably been done already)
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2010 at 14:25
Listening to some Atmosphere right, good stuff. RJD2 is another hip hop artists i have been listening to alot lately. And some classics like EPMD and Souls of Mischeifs have been gettting alot of airplay on my zune of late. There is great hip hop out their people!
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2010 at 16:23
CZ: If you like Haiku D'etat, have you tried Magic Heart Genies? Another Myka 9 project, but it's pretty way out there... you might appreciate.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 15:53
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

CZ: If you like Haiku D'etat, have you tried Magic Heart Genies? Another Myka 9 project, but it's pretty way out there... you might appreciate.
No, I haven't. Thanks for the recommendation!
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 20:56
Have u guys checked out People Under the Stairs?.....great hip hop!

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 21:31
I always up end coming back to Dr Dre's 2001 album the most out of any hip hop I have.
Even though it's now 11 years old, it's just so timeless sounding.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 22:25
Jrocha: Thanks for mentioning People Under The Stairs! I know them but they're famous for being the classic hip-hop group that releases nothing but good albums and yet never ever gets mentioned. True to form, I forgot to mention them.

Petrov: Yeah that's a goodie. I wonder if Detox will ever be made.

Oh in case anyone was going to go to the record shop to get Drake or the new Eminem, don't. Both are a bit crap. Just wait a couple more weeks and you've got Big Boi and The Roots to choose from, both far superior records.
JROCHA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2010 at 22:49
I cant wait for the new roots album, its been in talks for a while now. Just listened to the new single dear god 2.0 and it sounds pretty good.

npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 09:45
Honestly, I think it's just unspeakably awful.
Just to get a critical word in among all this celebration here.
I'd rather go exploring the wonderful hidden depths of Country and Western,and that's saying a lot!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 14:36
Some people.

Okay, the reason I think rap music CAN be just as good as prog or any other musicial genre not defined by clothes is because it requires talent. You can start out a mediocre rapper and through experience, get better and better.

Just like any other type of music.

Any genre that can be measured by quality, talent, and experience has a chance to become a favorite in my book. Thus, saying rap is just "unspeakably awful" is not a logical statement, not to mention close-minded and dickish.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 16:29

I find that almost anybody who pulls the "all rap is awful" card has about 11/10 times never given it a serious try and is a pompous windbag who can be cheerfully disregarded.

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 16:39
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

I find that almost anybody who pulls the "all rap is awful" card has about 11/10 times never given it a serious try and is a pompous windbag who can be cheerfully disregarded.

I agree. I don't like rap at all, however. LOL
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 01:43
Guys, I think from now on, whenever npjnpj starts an appreciation thread on a band you don't like, just go in there and piss all over the thread.
I think it's only fair, don't you think npjnpj?
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 03:26

Tempting but we're not overgrown children.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 04:50
My motto is enjoy music in all its diversity, but there's no requirement that you have to like it all.  If something doesn't appeal to you, it's totally OK to ignore it.  Life's too short to to spend any effort trashing it. By the way, what the hell is up with rap???  I mean it's just crap, isn't it???LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 16 2010 at 04:52
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 05:38
This has some of the old guard foaming at the mouth but I personally believe that anyone who rejects rap/hip-hop (or indeed ANY genre) wholesale is not a progressive music listener. Yes there is plenty to bash in MAINSTREAM rap and post Shania Twain country for example, but to say there are no and could never be good artists/albums in the rap and country scenes is blatant asinine twaddle and you should be on some sort of rock/nostalgia site, not a prog one.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 05:56
Oh dear, I seem to have upset some people, sorry about that. Just to make amends I state here and now, that there never was, nor will there ever be music that can equal or in any way surpass hip-hop and rap.

There! LOL
LOL
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2010 at 07:13
Killing MC Solaar's Prose Combat recently. Really good French sh*t. Cannot understand a word the cat's saying but the beats make me feel like melting away into infinity.

Massive fan of DJ Screw, have somewhere in the vicinity of 250 of his mix tapes. Nothing like a 30min + freestyle to wile away the afternoons.

Too much stuff to mention in one post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>