Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVisions of the Emerald Beyond

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Visions of the Emerald Beyond
    Posted: May 30 2010 at 14:48
My god???
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 16:53
an absolutely  fantastic album-the first Mahavishnu Orchestra album that really worked for me, and still does-has a great musical presence and is a thrill to listen to-better than Apocalypse
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 17:01
Not better than Apocalypse, but still a great listen, specially the double-part opener: Eternity's Breath, it's mind-blowing.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2010 at 18:58
Narada Michael Walden is back to drumming in concert.  Currently on tour as drummer for Jeff Beck.
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 02:17
A real masterpiece in my book. Seems to be forgotten by many...

It's one of those albums where I can't really say which tracks are the best. There are like eight really increbidle tracks here... I haven't listened to it in a long time, because when I first got it I was listening to it all the time! You can really feel "a spiritual aura" in the music, similar to Yes'.

Edited by Anderson III - May 31 2010 at 02:27
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
Takeshi Kovacs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 04:30
You've inspired me to make it my first album of the morning!
Open the gates of the city wide....
Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/TakeshiKovacs/
Jackonthegreen View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 08:34
The first Mahavishnu Orchestra album i ever listened to, and so far, the best too.
It was also my introduction to Jazz Fusion, what an incredible album!
Waldens drumming is some of the best drumming ive ever heard.
I remember i almost laughed the first time i heard him, how was it possibble for a human being to play so fast and complex?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 09:08
I still find it odd that there's a group of people who really liked the first Maha band lineup but dismiss anything that came after that.  Apocalypse remains my favorite MO album but good stuff on this one, too.  I think my favorite track is Faith.  Short but with a delicious intensity.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2010 at 18:12
Thumbs Up
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 08:32
I picked up a box set of 5 MO CDs yesterday for £17, just working my way through them now. Maybe I'll just jump straight to this one.
Norman Kiddie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 10:10
TongueBack in 1975 I was lucky enough to see this album played live at the Colston Hall in Bristol.
The following summer the same line up played at Knebworth open air to a much astonished audience.
To put this thing into perspective it might be worth mentioning that McLaughlin was said to have had the best possible fusion band on the planet with Billy Cobham (drums), Rick Laird (bass), Jan Hammer (keyboards) and Jerry Goodman on the fiddle. This was of course the original Mahavishnu line up,
Birds Of Fire being the real thing at the time.
McLauchlin moved on. The new Mahavishnu was born with the likes of MIchael Walden, Ralph Armstrong and Jean Luc Ponty, not to mention the string section. I too am a great fan of Visions Of The Emerald Beyond. 
Bonnek View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 10:39

Quite different from the frantic rocking energy of Birds of Fire and Trident sessions, but a fantastic album!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 20:06
Hi,

I remember when this came out and then his album with Carlos Santana.

Yeah ... even the "jazz" folks didn't like it much. Frank Zappa was doing some of it too, but the lyrics usually send the jazz crowd home from the bars! You know how it is ... their poop don't stink!

Edited by moshkito - June 04 2010 at 16:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 15:58
John McLaughlin plays some really wild guitar solos on this one. It has that whole spiritual aspect to it. At the time of it's release musicians all around me were critical about the album and practically slaughtered it but, I strongly believe it had more to do with the changing of members. Sort of the same way groups of Yes fans left off with Close to the Edge and despised Topographic. I thought Emerald Beyond was a great album. I love the way McLaughlin lets loose on there...it's incredible. The pieces are just beautiful and dimensional. When I listen to it today, I appreaciate it's value and uniqueness. Just writing material like this and putting out a record of it is a hell of a realization. It's sort of in the Progressive rock vain too...although instrumental and not always a hundred percent fusion. It really is a great album.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 07:01
The great masterpiece. One of the best  MO albums. I die for " Eternity's Breath " . You can find " Indian taste " combined with JRF in this song. Fantastic drumming with light speed guitar playing plus perfect choral voice.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 08:20
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

The great masterpiece. One of the best  MO albums. I die for " Eternity's Breath " . You can find " Indian taste " combined with JRF in this song. Fantastic drumming with light speed guitar playing plus perfect choral voice.
Beautiful review!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 08:34
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I picked up a box set of 5 MO CDs yesterday for £17, just working my way through them now. Maybe I'll just jump straight to this one.

Hi Alan,

Great little boxset, even if only the very basic infos are present >> all five are excellent, despite Apocalypse being often derided. I've got a preference for the first two, but the next three are just fine as well

But you've got the chance to work through their discography chronologically, and if I was you I'd work that way (this thread will still existWink)

You can read the second side of the vinyl album (or second of the Cd) as a cosmic suite
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 09:23
The only thing McLaughlin did wrong with the MO was that atrocious Inner Worlds. Rumour has it that he was so pissed off with electric music after that stinker that he smashed one of his valuable double necks to bits. I think that after Emerald he had taken the MO concept to it's outer limits. Shakti was a relief. Those two albums he made in the 80s under the moniker Mahavishnu have nothing to do withe the original 70s incarnations although I do enjoy some of the music that appeared on those two albums but he overdid it with the synth axes. Saw him on tour for the first one and it was rather disappointing. He wouldn't put that bloody synth axe down. I think he played a Les Paul special on two pieces. After the show their were mixed reactions.
Oh no! I'm actually talking about music and not Israelis attacking Flottilas or  Vatican controversies.Shocked I'd better get back the the general discussions.Big smile
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 16:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Hi Alan,

Great little boxset, even if only the very basic infos are present >> all five are excellent, despite Apocalypse being often derided. I've got a preference for the first two, but the next three are just fine as well

But you've got the chance to work through their discography chronologically, and if I was you I'd work that way (this thread will still existWink)

You can read the second side of the vinyl album (or second of the Cd) as a cosmic suite
coincidentally, i purchased the same box set of 5 MO CDs yesterday as well-i am in the process of re-evaluating Apocalypse, and finally having a copy of the Live CD, and the others are old faves
 Post Reply Post Reply