Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMichael Moore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Do you agree with him . . .
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [26.67%]
20 [44.44%]
3 [6.67%]
9 [20.00%]
1 [2.22%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Any teacher who pushes somebody else's agenda to her students should be fired, in my opinion. It gets us nowhere when an entire generation is told exactly what to think and feel. What we SHOULD be telling our kids is to think and feel for themselves.
Yup.  I think that showing his films in a classroom is beyond ridiculous.  Still, that shows more about the teacher than it does about Michael Moore.

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by UndercoverBoy UndercoverBoy wrote:

Any teacher who pushes somebody else's agenda to her students should be fired, in my opinion. It gets us nowhere when an entire generation is told exactly what to think and feel. What we SHOULD be telling our kids is to think and feel for themselves.
Yup.  I think that showing his films in a classroom is beyond ridiculous.  Still, that shows more about the teacher than it does about Michael Moore.

Well, if you notice, I did in fact say that Michael Moore would most likely agree with us all that the teacher forcing-feeding the kids isn't cool.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:34
I agree with him a lot of time. When he took patients to Cuba to show the wonders of the cuban system was one of those times when I didn't. 
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:35

I think it depends on how the film is used - if it's simply used as a substitute for actual teaching, then there certainly is an issue; if the film (or a section of it) is used to encourage students to engage with it and to explore and criticise or justify the opinions, then it's as valid as using a book or magazine article.

Broadly speaking I tend to agree with Michael Moore, but he does over simplify. However, he reaches far more people than Noam Chomsky and (to judge from the blogosphere) there's no shortage of people who disagree with him - if he's trying to brainwash people he's failing pretty dismally.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:42
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I think it depends on how the film is used - if it's simply used as a substitute for actual teaching, then there certainly is an issue; if the film (or a section of it) is used to encourage students to engage with it and to explore and criticise or justify the opinions, then it's as valid as using a book or magazine article.

I agree. There is no right or wrong in terms of the material used in a classroom. What matters is how it's used. So to judge this particular case, we'd need to know more about what the teacher did with the film in the classroom.
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:44
I've liked MM ever since Roger & Me.  Never seen anything in any of his films or read anything on his website that I didn't agree with.  He gets trashed on the right for challenging the powers that be.

I would like to add that Noam doesn't reach too many people because he writes books that are really hard to read.  I have yet to finish one. LOL
The guy is extremely eloquent though.

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 01 2010 at 11:47
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've liked MM ever since Roger & Me.  Never seen anything in any of his films or read anything on his website that I didn't agree with.  He gets trashed on the right for challenging the powers that be.

I would like to add that Noam doesn't reach too many people because he writes books that are really hard to read.  I have yet to finish one. LOL

And, unlike Moore, I have yet to discover that Noam Chomsky has a sense of humour . Just watch his interview with Ali G. Wink
"Es ist übrigens unmöglich, eine Meinung zu haben, ohne dass es unerfreuliche Überschneidungen gibt. Die Grünen sind für den deutschen Wald, die NPD ebenfalls."

UndercoverBoy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:48

I like how you dodged my question, UndercoverBoy. Tongue You don't feel like debating today?
I'm actually looking for resources right now, Micah.Wink

LOL Okay, cool. I look foreard to debating with you.
Okay, so here-a we go (pun intended):

It's true that countries with gun control have far less gun-related crime than those that don't.  For example:

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons

Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated): 

HomicideSuicideOther (inc Accident)

USA (2001)      3.98 5.920.36
Italy (1997) 0.811.10.07
Switzerland (1998)0.50 5.8   0.10
Canada (2002)0.42.00.04
Finland (2003)0.354.450.10
Australia (2001)0.241.340.10
France (2001)0.213.40.49
England/Wales (2002)0.150.20.03
Scotland (2002)0.060.20.02
Japan (2002)0.020.040

Data taken from Cukier and Sidel (2006) The Global Gun Epidemic. Praeger Security International.  Westport.

According to these statistics, the U.S. has nearly 10 times more gun-related homicides than Canada (which, if I'm not mistaken, has more guns per capita than the U.S.), 27 times more gun-related homicides than England and Wales, 66 times more than Scotland, and 200 times more than Japan (to be fair, I don't think Japan was ever steeped in gun control like Western civilizations are.)  Clearly, guns have some role in the equation.  I'm not asking for the outright banning of guns, like some of the countries in that chart do, but I don't think that any psychopathic lunatic should be able to get his hands on a gun.  If there were stricter firearm laws for the U.S., I'm sure that your "how am I supposed to defend myself from an armed criminal" situation would be very less likely.  And since I'm assuming that you are a stable person, the process of getting a gun license in Canada does not seem very difficult, and the extensive background checks and restricting activities to hunting and other sports have proven to be very effective.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:48
Originally posted by Dorsalia Dorsalia wrote:

And, unlike Moore, I have yet to discover that Noam Chomsky has a sense of humour . Just watch his interview with Ali G. Wink

Did you see the Andy Rooney interview?  I haven't seen the one with Noam.  Need to look that up. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 01 2010 at 11:49
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:49

According to these statistics, the U.S. has nearly 10 times more gun-related homicides than Canada

We're number one, we're number one!!!!LOL
Uhm, number one with a bullet. Ermm

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 01 2010 at 11:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:51

According to these statistics, the U.S. has nearly 10 times more gun-related homicides than Canada

No but seriously, that's one of the reasons I don't live in that country anymore. It scares the hell out of me sometimes.

Edited by Dorsalia - June 01 2010 at 11:51

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 11:55

No but seriously, that's one of the reasons I don't live in that country anymore. It scares the hell out of me sometimes.

Don't give Canada such a hard time or I will have to shoot you Tongue

Edited by Slartibartfast - June 01 2010 at 11:56

Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:00

Don't give Canada such a hard time or I will have to shoot you Tongue

Now Canada I wouldn't mind living in. It's a beautiful country.

I mean, so is the U.S., don't get me wrong, I just don't want to live there anymore.

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:01
I'm certainly not moving to Finland.  You never know what I might do if I went there!
Help me I'm falling!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:17

I think he's a talented filmaker and I enjoy his films.  I disagree with him on most issues though.  He's sort of the Michael Savage of the left.  He's often misguided, but much more fun than Al Franken ever was. 

TV Nation was awesome fun!

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:21

I agree. There is no right or wrong in terms of the material used in a classroom. What matters is how it's used. So to judge this particular case, we'd need to know more about what the teacher did with the film in the classroom.

Let someone use the Bible

in a public school setting

regardless of the context

and see what happens.

Edited by Epignosis - June 01 2010 at 12:21
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:28
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

and see what happens.

Same goes for the Bible. Of course it should be used, at least in high schools. It should be used in the study of history, literature, philosophy and politics, to say the least. It is one of the most important books in the history of our modern world and how you could conceive of giving someone an education without analysing the bible's impact is beyond me.

Edited by Dorsalia - June 01 2010 at 12:32

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:34
I agree in principle with most of his political views, and IMHO he will likely be seen as a visionary fifty years from now after he's dead.

I do believe he intentionally oversimplifies his positions in his films, but given that he has to cover an awful lot of ground in 120 minutes or less that's understandable to a certain degree.  They guy does do his homework and is quite eloquent in the interviews I've seen with him.  IMHO he is truly passionate about improving our country and I do think he sees himself as a committed patriot, just one that has a different viewpoint than many of the flag-waving types who also sometimes have just as black-and-white views of the world.

Maybe we need a poll on favorite scenes from a MM film.  LOL

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Dorsalia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:42
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

I agree in principle with most of his political views, and IMHO he will likely be seen as a visionary fifty years from now after he's dead.

I do believe he intentionally oversimplifies his positions in his films, but given that he has to cover an awful lot of ground in 120 minutes or less that's understandable to a certain degree.  They guy does do his homework and is quite eloquent in the interviews I've seen with him.  IMHO he is truly passionate about improving our country and I do think he sees himself as a committed patriot, just one that has a different viewpoint than many of the flag-waving types who also sometimes have just as black-and-white views of the world.

Maybe we need a poll on favorite scenes from a MM film.  LOL

I'd have to go with the "Corporate Cops" segment from Bowling for Columbine. LOL

akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2010 at 12:46

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

and see what happens.

Same goes for the Bible. Of course it should be used, at least in high schools. It should be used in the study of history, literature, philosophy and politics, to say the least. It is one of the most important books in the history of our modern world and how you could conceive of giving someone an education without analysing the bible's impact is beyond me.

What has the Bible got to do with History? 

Anyway I agree with the French in that there is no place for Religion in Schools (Possibly the study of ALL the different religions in RE) but if parents want there kids to study a religion of any type then they can do it outside school.  (Church might be an appropriate place for example. 

Keep the Bible out of schools. 
Help me I'm falling!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>