Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHighest Level of Education

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: What is the highest degree you have earned?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.53%]
19 [24.05%]
21 [26.58%]
4 [5.06%]
5 [6.33%]
3 [3.80%]
23 [29.11%]
2 [2.53%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 06:52
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Can anyone with a masters or doctorate say their degree was worth the time and money? You're discouraging me people

Yeah, the masters degree did help get better jobs.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 06:58
@T: I don't know how things are in the States, but in Europe, since the undergraduate studies were reduced from 4 to 3 years and are now considered just "a first stage" of a longer process, you can't really do much here with only a bachelor's degree. 
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 07:07
I voted 'Other'

Never went to college, never went to university, saw the way things were going in 1979, wen I left school & decided I'd be better off getting a job straight away; sent 'cold' letters to a number of local companies, banks etc & in 2 months started as a bank clerk.

OK, I may not be the richest or most intelligent person here, but I'm a happy chappy

Edited by Jim Garten - June 03 2010 at 07:07

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 07:42
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

@T: I don't know how things are in the States, but in Europe, since the undergraduate studies were reduced from 4 to 3 years and are now considered just "a first stage" of a longer process, you can't really do much here with only a bachelor's degree. 

Not everywhere - in many European countries undergraduate studies still continue 4 yrs. But I believe the situation on job's market depends on country you live/work. I lived and worked some years in Southern Europe, where higher education is not so popular, so any graduated person has a big advantage when searching a job (I am not speaking about MSc or PhD, just BA ). But in my country (ok, we are strongly above European average figures for people with University education) according to official statistics 60% of yesterday school pupils continue their education in Universities. As a result, undergraduated candidates are absolute norm, and MSc or PhD is some advantage ( depending on job though).

Edited by snobb - June 03 2010 at 07:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 07:47
^ Yes, I was referring to the countries that are part of the so called "Bologna process". But even if they don't represent the whole Europe, I think they are a trend setting majority, and things will evolve in that direction. 
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 13:48
High school. I was studying, but was too lazy to finish the BA degree. However, I have some plans to finish it this year or the next one - it's not easier to find a job, sometimes it's not even a better payed job, but it's easier and more convenient jobs that are available.
JemJem714 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 13:48
BSc. Hopefully MSc within the next 3 or 4 years when I can afford it.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 13:56
The University of Errors.
Help me I'm falling!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 14:02
Is "the school of life" an international expression or is it just in my language? LOL And the same for its variant, "the school of the street".
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 14:08
THe School of Hard Knocks Ouch
Help me I'm falling!
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 14:24
Originally posted by akamaisondufromage akamaisondufromage wrote:

THe School of Hard Knocks Ouch

Ditto. The only thing I got as a university graduation present was a handshake from my dear old dad with him saying " and now for the hard part " . Man, was he ever right!
YesFan72 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 16:11
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

Is the misspelling of professional in the poll choice a deliberate error, bringing a wonderful level of irony to a thread about education?

Hehe I was typing quickly. I know how to spell professional.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 18:53
Was able to parlay a $5000 technical skill degree into a reasonable middle class existence.  As was my brother.  My sister is a HS graduate only, now making close to 6 figures.  Our father dropped out in 8th grade and ended up securely in the middle class. 

Our family has apparently skirted the requirement for expensive educational credentialism, for which I am grateful.  I know most people are not so lucky. 

I sincerely wish all our young members here very good luck in navigating the confusing mess of the education system.  These days especially, it must be very difficult with the competition for jobs. 

The Monodrone View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 20:33

I will have a High School Honors diploma in my hands as of tomorrow evening.   : )

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 21:48

Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

Started two degrees and finished neither. First was Visual Arts the second Art History/History. Formal education has never been my thing. 

We are kindred spirits LOL I've also nearly finished my Art History & Theory graduate cycle...

Ha ha... Indeed! After a while I found I was more interested in creating than being critical of others works :P Now I'm looking for volunteer work in galleries and am waiting on a responses from our National Sound and Film archives about the possibility of casual work (could be waiting a little while tho').

-----------------

It is the same here in Australia, a bachelor degree means little more than a piece of paper, so if your interested in specialization you'll be spending a while in uni. If your looking for general government work, more often than not they don't care what the degree is in, but are more interested in the fact you were able to show a certain amount of aptitude by stick out the duration of the degree.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 21:49
Originally posted by ptkc123 ptkc123 wrote:

I will have a High School Honors diploma in my hands as of tomorrow evening.   : )

ClapClapClap   Congrats!!

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 23:44
Lord Garth, Master Of The Universe. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 04:56

Started two degrees and finished neither. First was Visual Arts the second Art History/History. Formal education has never been my thing. 

We are kindred spirits LOL I've also nearly finished my Art History & Theory graduate cycle...

Ha ha... Indeed! After a while I found I was more interested in creating than being critical of others works :P Now I'm looking for volunteer work in galleries and am waiting on a responses from our National Sound and Film archives about the possibility of casual work (could be waiting a little while tho').

Well this really gets strange, I am also applying for volunteer work! ShockedLOL

We must be antipode twin destinies! LOL

The bad thing in France is that the "volunteering" concept is completely unknown, unlike in the anglo-saxon cultures. All museums and art institutions are public institutions and abide the law, which doesn't specify volunteering, only internship. And interns need to be students of some sort and to have a "educational project" (with a supervisor) that requires an internship, a contract between the institution, the school and the student ne to be signed etc etc Angry I can't be an intern...

So I'll most likely apply at private galleries next. Now from these guys I would expect a "normal" answer to the question "hey would you like to have some work done for free?" LOL

It is the same here in Australia, a bachelor degree means little more than a piece of paper, so if your interested in specialization you'll be spending a while in uni. If your looking for general government work, more often than not they don't care what the degree is in, but are more interested in the fact you were able to show a certain amount of aptitude by stick out the duration of the degree.

That's nice, many European countries are different. For example, in such countries as France (where I live) or Romania (where I come from) (but also Greece, Italy, etc.), if you want to work in the cultural domain most jobs are in the public sector, and "papers" (degrees) are mandatory, so different to other countries where they're interested in your actual competences.
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 03:02

Well this really gets strange, I am also applying for volunteer work! ShockedLOL

We must be antipode twin destinies! LOL

The bad thing in France is that the "volunteering" concept is completely unknown, unlike in the anglo-saxon cultures. All museums and art institutions are public institutions and abide the law, which doesn't specify volunteering, only internship. And interns need to be students of some sort and to have a "educational project" (with a supervisor) that requires an internship, a contract between the institution, the school and the student ne to be signed etc etc Angry I can't be an intern...

So I'll most likely apply at private galleries next. Now from these guys I would expect a "normal" answer to the question "hey would you like to have some work done for free?" LOL

----------------------------

That's nice, many European countries are different. For example, in such countries as France (where I live) or Romania (where I come from) (but also Greece, Italy, etc.), if you want to work in the cultural domain most jobs are in the public sector, and "papers" (degrees) are mandatory, so different to other countries where they're interested in your actual competences.

ha ha.... I love coincidences like this!

'tis a shame about the situation in France. In my town nearly all tour guides in cultures institutions are volunteers. So they are a vital part of the system. They even educate these volunteers. Here is some light reading if your interested in the setup: http://nga.gov.au/Visiting/guides.html Unfortunately I don't like people so there goes that option out the window :P

Out of interest, if you are able to get work in the small private galleries, would this hold you in good stead for getting a 'degree' job in a higher institution, if that is the avenue your interested in. So, would someone with hands on experience be taken in preference over a freshman out of uni with a bit of paper? This is just of some personal interest to me, as in the future France would be a country I'd be interested to work in.

I can understand your frustration in regards to internships. I nearly had a professor signing me off for our local contemporary space, to start work on project. Thought I'd try my luck by talking my way into it without a degree. Had a long chat about my ideas for sound installations; I had him nodding his head to my tune, and they  found my knowledge on the subject intriguing, and was willing to sign me up there and then. But, then ask what the degree I'd finish was. f**k!

Oh, sh*t, I'm derailing another thread with my digressions. 
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2010 at 10:54
Bachelor of Science.

I also have a teaching qualification (the lowest level).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>