Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCannabis India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannabis India
    Posted: June 02 2010 at 01:05
Cannabis India was founded in 1971 by Oliver Petry (organ, vocals), Dirk Fleck (bass) and Rüdiger Braune (drums), all of them former members of the cover band The Futures. Burckhard Eick, former keyboarder with The Futures, became their manager. In next to no time they managed to come up with a repertoire suitable for gigs, consisting of exclusively own compositions in the style of classical-rock. Oliver Petry, born in 1955, who even at his young age could look back on many years of experience in music making - he had had seven years of training in classical piano - composed all titles. In an interview with the Westdeutsche Zeitung (WZ) Petry explained his desire to make music as follows:” I want to use music as a language, to express what I feel and think. Music is the territory I am comfortable in, where I can let off steam.” In the beginning he attempted to perfect himself on his instrument by experimenting with all sorts of styles and techniques, trying to find new modes of expressions.

Before long, word of Cannabis India’s musical potential had gotten around all over Germany, and many gigs followed in clubs, music pubs and festivals ( for example with Kin Pin Meh, Beggars Opera, Earth and Fire, Fumble, Eiliff). The performance at the IFA in Berlin in 1973 was a highlight, as was the gig at the 1st Wuppstock Festival in 1973 on the Hardt open-air-theatre in Wuppertal.An invitation to do recordings at the Südwestfunk in May 1973, documented on this CD, was an expression of the general esteem the band was receiving.

After that, the three-man-band was joined by guitarist Martin Köhmstedt, formerly member of the local band Solomon Jackdaw. However, he left the band again in 1974 to join Gate from Haan. With Gate he recorded a total of three albums, two of which were released on the famous label Brain. Oliver Petry participated as guest musician in the second album “Red Light Sister”, released in 1977.

Soon after Köhmstedt had left, Cannabis India split up and Petry founded the band Universe with the remaining members of Solomon Jackdaw. Burkhard Eick was again manager of the band, but unfortunately not as successful as with Cannabis India, so that the band split up again a few months later. Before the break-up, however, Universe had recorded two of Oliver Petry’s compositions in the Studio Neugebauer in Düsseldorf, which have been included as bonus tracks on this CD. One of the reasons for the failure of Universe was that, in spite of good musical talent, the band didn’t secure enough gigs, and eventually rehearsed itself to death.

The members of Cannabis India came back together again as musicians for the Fritz Müller Band project. Fritz Müller (alias Eberhard Kranemann), who had connections with Kraftwerk and Neu!, had been able to secure the services of studio wizard and producer Conny Plank. Together with the musicians of Cannabis India he recorded the album “Kommt” on the legendary Roth-Händle-label. From the musical point of view, the album was a mixture of heavy psychedelic sounds, avant-garde, punk and Neue Deutsche Welle. This was the last time the former Cannabis India members played together.

Later on, drummer Rüdiger Braune played with The Ramblers, Nena’s former backing group. After that, from 1980 on, he was founding member of the wave avant-garde band Kowalski, whose music the press at the time described as metal-pop. Kowalski recorded two albums, “Schlagende Wetter” and “Over man Underground”, both released on Virgin, along with several 12”. During the nineties he played the drums in Gianna Nannini’s live band as well as on several albums.

Bassist Dirk Fleck founded the rock band “Mama” together with guitarist Martin Köhmstedt, who had also been on live tour with Gianna Nannini.

Oliver Petry became lead singer of Empire from Mönchengladbach (together with bassist Dirk Fleck and others). Together they recorded one album, released in 1981, and a single for Repertoire records.

In the following years he did numerous jobs as studio/guest musician, vocalist and keyboarder. At the end of the eighties four of his compositions were produced with the singer Tina Charles (I love to love), but never released. In 2000 he recorded eight titles on his own in a studio in Cologne, in the musical style of pop/song-writing. Oliver Petry, who has been working as an independent web- and graphic designer as well as sound designer for websites (see and hear on www.jermai.de), is planning a “just-for-fun” musical project for 2009, with the working title “The Unbrothers”, featuring zappaesque samples and a real Italian tenor...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 01:18
SWF Sessions is a great CD, I've been wanting to add them but unsure as to genre, it's kinda heavy symph (despite the 'krautrock' label) .. thanks for the reminder

G-Bombz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 01:21
definitely agree to the heavy symph, and no problemo lol
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 01:26
hey do you have a band photo you could post ?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 01:32
oh and do us a favor:  don't carpet bomb the Suggest New Bands section, it doesn't really help, just a few a week is best

thanks again

G-Bombz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 02:55
haha sorry, got excited. and yea ill see what i can find
but in the meantime...

Hand of the King

Lapis (not the full version)

Beethoven's 9th
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 04:23
This sounds like a very good suggestion, thanks G-Bombz. I'll ask the Symphonic Prog Team to evaluate the band. BTW, you should know that the evaluation of the suggestions you've submitted today will be a long process. Flooding the board is not the good way to proceed. Also, inserting suggested sub-genres in the thread title is something important, and providing links (like official website link, MySpace link, etc.) is also required. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:23
Have heard Cannabis India and sounds like heavily influenced by THE NICE.

Even when THE NICE is not a nattural Symphonic band (Proto Prog added to Symphonic due to the similarities and relation with ELP), I believe Cannabis India will fit in Symphonic better than i any other sub-genre.

I say Yes.

I'll be notfiying the team, but 1/3 is with YES.

Iván

Please G Bombz, could you write a bio ONLY ABOUT CANNABIS INDIA, with no Tina Charles mention, I'm almost sure the team will say yes.

Almost forgot: A Band or even the lead member's photo

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 02 2010 at 11:29

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 11:55
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

This sounds like a very good suggestion, thanks G-Bombz. I'll ask the Symphonic Prog Team to evaluate the band. BTW, you should know that the evaluation of the suggestions you've submitted today will be a long process. Flooding the board is not the good way to proceed. Also, inserting suggested sub-genres in the thread title is something important, and providing links (like official website link, MySpace link, etc.) is also required. 

Not so long Harmonium LOL, in less than 4 hours we were notified CANNABIS INDIA APPROVED BY SYMPHONIC.

Now the ball is in GBOMBZ field, we need:

1. A Bio only about the band, the later works of the members being mainstream, don't count for us
  2. A Photo (May be of the full band, a photoshop work of all the members ot a photo of an important member
  3. Complete Discography.

If this can't be provided to me by PM, we will search for it, but will take longer, being that we are updating past work.

Thanks

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - June 02 2010 at 11:56

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 13:14
Thumbs Up
G-Bombz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 16:07

thank you for the input. i am a newbie to the site as my rating thing under my avatar says, so now ill know what kind of information you guys are looking for  in the future

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 18:13
if needed, I'd be glad to do an original bio and the addition if Symph Team wants them, I have the CD and am a fan--

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:30
Originally posted by G-Bombz G-Bombz wrote:

thank you for the input. i am a newbie to the site as my rating thing under my avatar says, so now ill know what kind of information you guys are looking for  in the future

Hey Gbombz we are working on it now - you do Cannabis India bio for us as you know them, and I can work on some others when approved, along with other team members working on others - but please don't bombard us all at once - there are only so many hours in a week,  besides i want to write more reviews LOL

Cheers for the suggestions though and we will take them seriously on the Symphonic team.StarStarStar
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

if needed, I'd be glad to do an original bio and the addition if Symph Team wants them, I have the CD and am a fan--

Hey thats a great idea too. I wonder what Ivan thinks! 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:33
G-Bombz is welcome to it, whatever SymphTeam would like

a photo would be nice too, but one doesn't seem to exist (not even in the CD notes)

Edited by Atavachron - June 02 2010 at 20:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:41
A non existent band????? no photos????? whats the world coming to? i could find very little on Realm either. ah well we could put in an album cover.....

do you want ot work on a bio and send ideas and see how we go? Maybe you could come up with something to help gbombz as he is newer at this.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 20:44
maybe I'll post a bio in Symph thread and yooz guys can take it from there
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 23:02

David, go on, add the band, I have no problem, you are a member in who we all trust.

Iván

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2010 at 23:33
okay Ivan, will do--  I posted the bio in Symph thread

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2010 at 00:32