Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Official 'review our music' forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDean Watson's "Unsettled"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 11:41
No problem, Dean. Wink Great work. Can't wait for the next one. 
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:30
Pretty awsome work... the review will be there very soon...
Change the program inside... Stay in silence is a crime.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:07
Review placed in the front page. One of the most impressive albums I've heard in the last few years... a total win... great work Dean... Thumbs Up
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:18
Jampa,

About the only thing I can say that's bad about your review is 4.5's get rounded to 4.0!

THANK YOU!
Find me at:
http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/
www.soundcloud.com/dean-watson
http://www.cdbaby.com/Search/RGVhbiBXYXRzb24%3d/0
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:25
Originally posted by Dean Watson Dean Watson wrote:

Jampa,

About the only thing I can say that's bad about your review is 4.5's get rounded to 4.0!

THANK YOU!
LOL Oh, that's because if it's not a 5, then it's not a Masterpiece... but wait to PA system changes to the one they are using in Metalarchives, then I will put the 4.5 star properly... Big smile
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:51

Jampa,

THANK YOU!

Hi Dean. CD arrived, will review soon, once I get rid of my work in Crossover Team.

I'm glad that you like Juan's review. His reviews are usually good (and I personally think that better than mine :-D )

One note - his review rounds it to 4.0 indeed, there's no dispute in this. But

1)You can't be accused of calling fanboys and friends to review your album extremely positively as some artists does. Not that you would do it, but Jampa's point of view is positive, sober point of view.

2)He is Prog Reviewer with weight 10 (instead of member's review of 5). So

2a)it's better than if he would give it 3 or 2 :-)

2b)the more reviews, the higher album's place in charts will be.

All reasons to smile Dean. It's hard to get 5-star review from people these days anyway.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 13:29
Hey Marty!

No, I wasn't implying it should have been a 5,  I'm more than pleased with heck, anything at all, but a 4 is awesome.  I'm just pleased Jampa liked it as much as he did!

btw - I wasn't aware of 'weights' and charts etc. etc.  Thanks for the information.

fyi - I'm smiling! 
Find me at:
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 09:22
I've said this before the review should speak for itself and sod the ratings. I wish we could just abandon this stupid star rating method of evaluating albums. As much as I don't care for the UK magazine "The Wire" I like reading their reviews because they carry no ratings and you can tell from the tone, attitude, word selection etc. of the reviewer what how he/she feels about the particular work. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2010 at 14:56

Hey Marty!

No, I wasn't implying it should have been a 5,  I'm more than pleased with heck, anything at all, but a 4 is awesome.  I'm just pleased Jampa liked it as much as he did!

btw - I wasn't aware of 'weights' and charts etc. etc.  Thanks for the information.

fyi - I'm smiling! 

Glad I could help. When talking about these "more serious" topics, I sometimes sound too harsh than I intend to, so I hope that you'll take it that way.

I'm smiling too, will listen to your CD shortly.

Weighted rating is described for example on wikipedia, but I find it too difficult for me to comprehend it in English (and Czech article is stupid), so I just use this simplified example:

Chart with 2 albums.

1. has 100 ratings and 4.2 average.
2. has 10 ratings and 4.8 average.

But their order in chart will be like that. First the one with 100, then the one with 10.

However, if it would be:

1. has 100 ratings and 4.2 average.
2. has 70 ratings and 4.8 average.

then 2nd album would be first and 1st album will be second.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 09:21
Wow! We have mathematicians here. I think ratings undermine the music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 11:01

I want to thank the 9 individuals who have taken their personal time to review Unsettled.  I also want to thank the two pending reviewers who are waiting in the wings.

Anyone else care to take a crack at "Unsettled"?
Find me at:
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2010 at 11:03
It just help to new readers to search what they want to. I won't be reading the 1000 reviews about Close to The Edge but I will search the 4 stars arguments, then if I have some worries I will check some 2 stars reviews and then if I have an idea read some of the 5 stars review so I have a good idea to actually buy a CD.

Stars are there for help... nothing more, at the end music is subjective and if you like an album, that's good for you. The rating is for helping people to get interested with something they don't know...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 05:22
Originally posted by jampa17 jampa17 wrote:

It just help to new readers to search what they want to. I won't be reading the 1000 reviews about Close to The Edge but I will search the 4 stars arguments, then if I have some worries I will check some 2 stars reviews and then if I have an idea read some of the 5 stars review so I have a good idea to actually buy a CD.

Stars are there for help... nothing more, at the end music is subjective and if you like an album, that's good for you. The rating is for helping people to get interested with something they don't know...

Robert Epignosis would search for 1-2 stars arguments :-) 

Or after all I. From time to time. Because these biggies are easy target and it's interesting to know what people think about them (from negative side).

But would there be someone reviewing Dean Watson's CD with 1 star, it would be disaster. For Close to the Edge, rating of this album would change probably from something like 4.51 to 4.5

or haven't changed at all.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 10:48
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Or after all I. From time to time. Because these biggies are easy target and it's interesting to know what people think about them (from negative side).

But would there be someone reviewing Dean Watson's CD with 1 star, it would be disaster. For Close to the Edge, rating of this album would change probably from something like 4.51 to 4.5

So this is why we should abolish ratings. Because there is always going to be some moron who will do just that. Give 1 star to an album that is deserving of at least the 3-5 range.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 11:01
Yes, we know of a reviewer who does exactly that .... it's a shame ...
Find me at:
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 11:28
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

So this is why we should abolish ratings. Because there is always going to be some moron who will do just that. Give 1 star to an album that is deserving of at least the 3-5 range.

if their opinion is backed up and they have a reason for thinking that an album is one star, just because we disagree, doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong. Music is all subjective.
jampa17 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 16:45
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

if their opinion is backed up and they have a reason for thinking that an album is one star, just because we disagree, doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong. Music is all subjective.

Clap And that's why Prog Reviewers had more weight than regular members, and that's why reviews have more weight than just ratings... only ratings are made by lazy people who doesn't have nothing to say... argue, describe, that's what we need as fans and music lovers... ratings help a lot... nothing wrong there...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 22:49
^^^ exactly

Now Dean onto more pressing concerns.... Do you have a better photo to add to your bio as the one presently is you in the distance walking off to some lonely location - Its a bit weird and a recognizable photo of you would promote better i feel.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 02:56

Listened yesterday, I'm quite impressed (even first track or two isn't exactly of my liking - good, but not fully my cup of tea). However later it turns to more interesting material.

Good impression.

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 03:32
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^^^ exactly

Now Dean onto more pressing concerns.... Do you have a better photo to add to your bio as the one presently is you in the distance walking off to some lonely location - Its a bit weird and a recognizable photo of you would promote better i feel.

Atomic, I'll try to get you out something this week.

Find me at:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>