Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sgt. Peppers importance to Classic Prog Rock. Mmm?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSgt. Peppers importance to Classic Prog Rock. Mmm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sgt. Peppers importance to Classic Prog Rock. Mmm?
    Posted: June 04 2010 at 05:27
Ok, I have a theory. Itīs clear that the fab four were an evident influence to the whole styles of music. Well, perhaps Christine Aguilera and the great Paris Hilton will be dissapointed with this...but, is there exist a lack of importance about the fact that Beatles Peppers influenced in, for example, King Crimson. 
Yes band obviously were marked by their character, but did prog artists from the 70s shut up this fact cause they wanted to be the ones who invented prog from nothing?

Tell me please. Smile 

Falx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 06:22
No more important to prog than Procol Harum, or Bob Dylan, if you ask me.

=F=
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 08:19
by the way Aguilera is very influenced by Etta James and mostly jazz vocalists but also soul
and I would not compare Christina Aguilera to Paris Hilton one who can't sing, the other one probably one of the most gfted and talented singers (of the female gender) to have walked this earth (stil walking) Embarrassed Clap I'm not saying I love Aguileras music but I respect her as a good singer with an amazing vocal range.  I think she is even better then the 90s divas Carey and Dion.

I have a abit emerrasing taste but I can actualy listen to female pop artist and luckaly i wil track some good things

Edited by aginor - June 04 2010 at 08:20
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 09:16
I measure this analogy on the history. The Beatles were already influential to Procol Harum, The Moody Blues and Syd Barrett years before Pepper. It may be to some, a matter of you got there first which is a offending attitude due to the highly regarded originality of the Beatles writing.

The shock about Pepper was how it influenced musicians to play and write this way or in this fashion stylistically. It had such an impact on American musicans. Jazz players enjoyed aspects to it, Classical players enjoyed the arrangements, Rock guitar players spent hours emulating the style of George Harrision and also constructing their own songs to be taylor made in the Pepper fashion. To truly put things into perspective,...one must think about the music of that day . When Pepper came along it was a slap in a musican's face. Everyone wanted to be disciplined and quickly enter the level that the Beatles were on.

With King Crimson I felt it was the overall idea to be something different ....like in a musical approach. Which was something the Beatles made evident to most bands of that era. Just the idea alone that one could expand off a concept. As Crimson sounded nothing like the Beatles however it is imaginable to hear Paul singing "Cadence and Cascade". There might be a slight Beatles influence in Crimson ballads but, Crimson were more unique if anything. It feels like a religion. You should have seen all the musicans back in the 60's feverishly struggling with Pepper. Various egotisitical individuals that I crossed paths with...and who are from a different generation....tend to give the Beatles history regarding all of it's artistic impact....about a C average. It has more to do with issues over the amount of stardom an artist has. Yes there are groups of people that think this way but, it's an attitude that Johann Sebastian Bach and Mozart had dealings with with their colleagues.

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 11:34
Originally posted by Falx Falx wrote:

=F=

The comma after Procol Harum doesn't belong. 

Just sayin'. Embarrassed
Falx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2010 at 23:27
Originally posted by JLocke JLocke wrote:

Originally posted by Falx Falx wrote:

=F=

The comma after Procol Harum doesn't belong. 

Just sayin'. Embarrassed

The comma was deliberate, to introduce a pause in the sentence. Firstly to indicate that Procol Harum was the first band I thought of, and thus a more important subject in the sentence; secondly to introduce a gap between the two bands. so that it wouldn't sound like I was lumping them together under the same musical style. I find your presumption irritating, I'm not some foreigner with a poor grasp of English.

=F=
"You must go beyond the limit of the limit of your limits!" - Mr. Doctor
"It is our duty as men and women to proceed as though the limits of our abilities do not exist." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
 Post Reply Post Reply