Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 06:51
Good work...but your habit of inserting non period photos is kind of annoying.

Otherwise very interesting.Approve
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:01

1973 Genesis ride the waves of success 

With the release of the live album, Genesis were able to settle into the studio and begin recording new material for the next album. It would prove to be another masterpiece and in many fan’s minds, the ultimate Genesis album.  Genesis needed a best seller as rising bands such as King Crimson, Yes and Emerson Lake & Palmer were producing albums that had critical acclaim and they were stamping their authority on the 70s prog rock wave.

Genesis had the energy of Hackett’s guitars, the majesty of Banks keyboards, the pulse of Rutherford’s bass, the jazz fusion dynamics of Collin’s drums and the theatrical eccentricity of Gabriel’s vocals and flute, not to mention his enigmatic stage presence; they should have been the talking point of England with all this vitality rather than a cult curiosity. The time for Genesis had come to prove their worth, and prove it they did with the release of their next album.  

In the UK, “Selling England By The Pound” was released in October 1973, entering the UK charts on 20-Oct-1973 and reaching position #3, spending 21 weeks in the charts. It was the first Genesis chart position in the US entering the US charts on 15-Dec-1973, reaching #70, spending 29 weeks in the charts. It was certified Gold by the RIAA in April 1990. Today it is one of the most beloved Genesis albums, many times reaching top tens of prog fans’ album lists.

The sound of the album was as whimsical as “Foxtrot” but retained more of the pastoral touches of “Trespass”. There were no epics but the mini epics were there, primarily “The Cinema Show” and “The Battle of Epping Forest” that clocked in at over 11 minutes respectively.

The theme was based on the various states and mythology of England, a popular theme in the 70s. In "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight" there is lyrical content about the downfall and decline of Great Britain as it loses its empire on which the sun never sets, it's always daytime somewhere, and the British economy was effecting Englishmen; it was a cultural crisis made worse as the first oil crisis occurred. Prices of transports and oil-derived vinyl were skyrocketing and Genesis were reacting to the way large companies were destroying England's heritage. 

Other songs focused on battles of historical significance in the conflicts between lost causes in Epping Forest, “The Battle of Epping Forest”, modern day retellings of suburban existence with the mundane act of lawn mowing as a representative of modern culture ,"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)", and a tale of two amorous love children who are reincarnations of ancient Greek figures, “The Cinema Show”. This highly revered track actually is based on T S Eliot’s “The Waste Land” epic poem, specifically “The Fire Sermon", showing Gabriel’s love of the work of T S Eliot, one of his inspirations, and giving him more excuses to wear outrageous costumes in the live performance.

The album artwork was this time not a whimsical fairy tale told in pictures, rather the band turned to the artistry of Betty Swanwick who presented her painting The Dream. A lawnmower was painted in by Swanwick at the band’s request to refer to the single from the album, "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)." The pastoral yellows and greens are all part of the illusion to show that Genesis were returning to their pastoral green England roots, rather than the darkness of innocent girls smashing heads about with croquet mallets, or fox hunters and their hounds waiting to capture innocent foxes.

Side one

1. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (8:01)
2. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (4:06)
3. Firth Of Fifth (9:34)
4. More Fool Me (3:09)

Side two

5. The Battle Of Epping Forest(11:43)
6. After The Ordeal (4:12)
7. The Cinema Show (11:06)
8. Aisle Of Plenty (1:31)

Genesis Selling England By The Pound album cover

Peter Gabriel – lead vocals, flute, percussion, oboe

Phil Collins – drums, percussion, backing vocals, lead vocals on "More Fool Me"

Steve Hackett – guitar, electric coral sitar on "I Know What I like", backing vocals on "I Know What I Like"

Mike Rutherford – bass guitar and pedals, rhythm guitar, cello on "Dancing With The Moonlight Knight"

Tony Banks – backing vocals, piano, keyboards, acoustic guitar on "The Cinema Show"

Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (excerpt)

The Captain leads his dance right on through the night
join the dance
Follow on! A Round Table-talking down we go.
You're the show
Off we go with, You play the hobbyhorse,
I'll play the fool.
We'll tease the bull
ringing round & loud, loud & round.
Follow on! With a twist of the world we go.
Follow on! Till the gold is cold.
Dancing out with the moonlit knight,
Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (excerpt)

Sunday night, Mr Farmer called, said
"Listen son, you're wasting time; there's a future for you
in the fire escape trade. Come up to town"
But I remembered a voice from the past
"Gambling only pays when you're winning"
- I had to thank old Miss Mort for schooling a failure.
Keep them mowing blades sharp
I know what I like, and I like what I know
getting better in your wardrobe, stepping one beyond your show.

When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench,
I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk.

Now as the river dissolves in sea,
So Neptune has claimed another soul.
And so with gods and men
The sheep remain inside their pen,
Until the Shepherd leads his flock away.
The sands of time were eroded by
The river of constant change,

The Cinema Show (excerpt)

Home from work our Juliet
Clears her morning meal.
She dabs her skin with pretty smells
Concealing to appeal.
I will make my bed,
She said, but turned to go.
Can she be late for her cinema show?
Romeo locks his basement flat,
And scurries up the stair.

My Review:

***** A perfect balance of elements; lyrical sketches, virtuosic instrumentation and theatrical vocals.

Review #966. On "Selling England By The Pound" Genesis prove themselves to be creative visionaries. The entire musical arrangement is tighter and structured with instrumental breaks that are virtuoso on their own merits. There seems to be a stronger cohesion and unification of melodic musical ideas, with each member having a chance to shine as never before. Banks in particular flourishes on classical piano pieces and lengthy synthesizer breaks. There are no lengthy epics but there are long songs clocking around 10 minutes, such as "The Cinema Show", The Battle of Epping Forest" and "Firth of Fifth" that have become classic Genesis tracks, highly memorable due to lengthy instrumental passages, odd time signatures, key changes and mood shifts along with quirky thematic content.

The magical and most loved lineup of Genesis is here: Peter Gabriel, a tour de force on lead vocals, flute, oboe; Phil Collins, magnificent on drums, percussion, and vocals (he takes the lead vocals on "More Fool Me" signifying his eventual ability to be the Genesis front man on Gabriel's departure); Steve Hackett, a master of lead guitar, acoustics, vocals and electric coral sitar (on "I Know What I like"); Mike Rutherford, extraordinary on bass guitar, bass pedals, rhythm guitar, and cello (on "Dancing With The Moonlight Knight"); and the incomparable Tony Banks, on vocals, piano, keyboards, and acoustic guitar (on "The Cinema Show"). Together they are perhaps the definitive Genesis, never to be surpassed for sheer musical excellence and creativity. Every track is fresh, ferociously original and first class.

The lyrics of "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" typify the high strangeness of the album; "Off we go with, You play the hobbyhorse, I'll play the fool, We'll tease the bull, ringing round & loud, loud & round, Follow on, With a twist of the world we go." It features extreme time sig changes and theatrical vocals; Genesis takes the storytelling qualities of previous albums and gives it a vibrant injection of polished instrumental prowess.

The single from the album came in the unlikely form of a song about a lawnmower. That's right the mundane act of mowing a lawn became part of the staple radio diet, "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)". The drone of the lawnmower makes an appearance at the end of the track and it is very effective in making a statement that lawnmowing is part of the English past time, maintaining a healthy lawn is the key. The lyrics are pure whimsy; "When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk, Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk." The theme is therefore that the inanimate object of the mower is speaking about it's existence, it's life on a farm and it's life in a suburban backyard; "Keep them mowing blades sharp." The track ends on Gabriel's fluttering flute solo and an odd jazz rock beat, but radio stations adored playing this as it was such a curiosity.

"Cinema Show" features a bombastic refrain and some incredible passages of synth and jazz drumming. It has a catchy melody that grabs hold and creates an ethereal atmosphere. Rutherford and Hackett's acoustic guitars begin the piece and the natural progression to fully loaded synthesizer dominates. It has become one of the Genesis masterpieces that are quintessential to the group's long career. Gabriel's infatuation over T. S. Eliot is apparent in the lyrics; "I will make my bed, She said, but turned to go, Can she be late for her cinema show? Romeo locks his basement flat, And scurries up the stair." The Shakespeare references are a nice touch and give the track a mediaeval historical relevance. In the reunion tour the song made an appearance to an enraptured crowd, as did many other songs from the album such as "Firth of Fifth".

In the virtuosic "Firth of Fifth", the piano intro signifies England's greener fields, a similar feel to Emerson Lake & Palmer's "The Gates of Kiev" from "Pictures of an Exhibition". The tempo is a strong rhythm full of grandeur and majestic Hammond; a religious cathedral like atmosphere ensues. Gabriel is at his theatrical best; "Urge the sailors on, till lured by the sirens' cry", and the medieval theme of beautiful sirens luring sailors is mimicked with alluring music. The interlude of synth and guitar embellishments with augmented keys are very emotive. There are tranquil melodies in one of the most celebrated passages of music generated from Genesis. The melody is played live on the DVD "Genesis in Rome" without lyrics and is as powerful and majestic as ever. "Now as the river dissolves in sea, So Neptune has claimed another soul. And so with gods and men" the lyrics continue, presenting a typical mythological theme. The melancholy piano is accompanied by an up tempo synth with a sombre guitar and these tend to blend together to build a solid block of sound. It is a mesmirising track and certainly a definitive Genesis classic.

The epitome of the progressive side of the band is captured in the way the tracks vary so diversely from track to track. There is even a Collins ballad, his first lead vocal for the group, in the song "More Fool Me". Perhaps this prophesises the impact of Collins upon the group in the 1980s and indeed his solo career that was replete with power ballads.

"The Battle Of Epping Forest" is an 11 minute 43 seconds romp through the tale of two rival gangs and the violence of the slaughter is sent up rather than taken seriously. Yet the darkness of the battle royale is embedded in the lyrics; "In with a left hook is the bethnal green butcher, But he's countered on the right by Mick's chain-gang fight, And liquid len, with his smashed bottle men, Is lobbing Bob the Nob across the gob. With his kisser in a mess, Bob seems under stress, But Jones the Jug hits Len right in the mug, And Harold Demure, who's still not quite sure, Fires acorns from out of his sling, here come the cavalry!" It is all over done with a lot of theatrical Gabrielisms but it works as a memorable lyrical sketch of fired up nonsense.

"After The Ordeal" and "Aisle of Plenty" are less memorable but still pack a wallop as part of the overall soundscape. The album ends with the reprise of musical motifs that began the album, a kind of cycle of musical ideas, returning to the past.

Overall "Selling England By The Pound" stands the test of time as a bonafide Genesis masterpeice, undoubtedly among the best the band would create. It is hailed as a treasure among the prog community today, specifically for the three showpieces "Dancing With The Moonlight Knight", "Firth of Fifth" and "The Cinema Show". The single released in 1974 certainly didn't do any harm either as it peaked at #21 in the UK, spending 7 weeks in the charts. The album is quite simply a masterpiece with Genesis at the peak of their powers before they crash landed in the 80s. The album is one of my favourite prog albums due to the consistency of quality and I will always revere "Firth of Fifth" especially due to that amazing instrumental break where Banks takes off into full flight on keyboards. The album is an example of how music can sound when all the elements are balanced perfectly; when everything was working right, Genesis were untouchable.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 17:47
refugee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 10:45
Hi, Scott, nice to see you’re still working on the project. All the same I have a couple of comments: Dancing With the Moonlit Night is not about medieval England and chivalry, it’s about the decline of the British Empire. Open this site and scroll down to Madprophet’s post:

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/1630/

At least I found it very clarifying. The clever puns and satire are very hard to understand by non-British people like me.

You’re right about The Cinema Show and The Waste Land, but I’m pretty sure the lyrics were written by Banks and Rutherford (they also wrote Firth of Fifth).

Even so: Nice work, and I’m looking forward to reading more and seeing more pics! Thumbs Up

EDIT: After I posted, a lot of pictures that weren’t there before appeared in your post. Thanks!

Edited by refugee - July 30 2010 at 10:48
He say nothing is quite what it seems;
I say nothing is nothing
(Peter Hammill)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2010 at 19:01
^^^Thanks for that. I fixed that info on "Moonlit Knight", very interesting lyrics. Also added some pics. Will get onto next section during the week hopefully. 
ko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2010 at 09:54
Great blog! ClapClapClap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 04:26
Thanks so much ko, glad you are enjoying my hobby! More coming next week....
Weirdamigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 16:25
I finally took the time to read your blog, truly fantastic. Language, information and illustrations are simply mind-blowing puts my blog entries to shame really.

I hope you keep up the good workThumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 07:18
Thanks so much! I appreciate it sincerely, Weirdamigo!
I will try and add some more soon but it takes days to do these entries....
xeizo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2010 at 12:35
Great work done here, can't wait to read about Lamb Lies Down which somehow have become the Genesis work I enjoy the most. Especially the live recording of the full album from the "Archive..." CD-set.

Another favorite is post Gabriel album A Trick of The Tail, but not for the songs nor the performances but for the production as it's the Genesis album with the most awesome sound. The drums, the drums ...

It was a great time when some people started putting up lot's of Genesis videos on Youtube some year ago, very exciting indeed. I had no idea Gabriel was THAT energetic on stage LoL  :D

Anyway, there's awfully long stories to be told about their work, I shall not interfere with your story just await it  ;)
mike hewetson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 06:56
really enjoyed all the stuff you"ve done here! as i"m a big genesis freak, and love psychodelia! many thanx- very interesting!
mike hewetson
Chela View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 22:58

Ahh...this is so exciting!

Thumbs Up

Rolf Bos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 06:27
A masterpiece! easy to follow if you're not raised in English language.
stonecrash View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 22:42
Thumbs UpClap
Clap
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 04:43
Just got through it all! Awesome work Scott. I love it
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 03:22
I feel after all the encouraging words here I should complete the next section. I will soon. Working on it now...

thanks everyone for the kind words...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:53
This is great Scott.....I have been a huge fan of Genesis since about '76. I love their sound, writing, production...pretty much everything about them. Hackett, Gabriel, Rutherford, Banks and Collins has to be the most powerful lineup ever created....I mean just look at those names!!

Your blogs are all well done.......looking for more!

Clap x 100

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 06:14

1974 Genesis Lies Down On Broadway

Singles were released in between the next studio album to mild success.

August 1973

Twilight Alehouse (7:48)
The rare single did not make it to the studio albums but is still hailed by fans as one of the best Gabriel era songs from the group. It was officially released as the B-side of the single “I know What I Like” and two months later the UK magazine Zig Zag October 1973 issue released the single “Twilight Alehouse” as a free one-sided flexi disc. The single was later released in 1976 as a free single to the first 1000 members of the Genesis Information. It now features on the box Genesis Archive 1967-1975 as an alternative version.

The single is a prime example of Peter Gabriel’s theatrical style and has some bombastic passages from Banks and Rutherford, innovative drumming from Collins and Hackett’s virtuosic guitar motifs, along with gentle flute from Gabriel. There is a strong mix of psychedelia, classic, folk and prog rock.

The charting single was released from the “Selling England By The Pound” album in 1974.

1. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
2. Twilight Alehouse

In the UK It was the first charting single reaching a top position of #21 on 20-Apr-1974 and spending 7 weeks in the charts.

The Next single to be released was from the next album.

1. Counting Out Time
2. Riding The Scree

In the UK it was released in November 1974. It did not do well on the charts.

The band returned to the concept album for the next project and had enough material to fill a double album so this is what they did.

Gabriel was not involved with the album's writing and rehearsal sessions because he was experiencing personal issues with his first wife who was having difficulties with her first pregnancy. The writing of the music for the album continued without Gabriel for the majority by Banks, Rutherford and Collins, although there was some contribution from Hackett.  Once Gabriel was able to deal with his wife Jill’s problems he returned to the writing of the actual lyrics, particularly the concept of Rael that drove the album. There were some tracks such as , ‘Anyway’, ‘Lilywhite Lilith’ and ‘Colony of Slippermen’ that were songs from earlier incarnations of the band in 1969 that were never used, having a proposed title of ‘Frustration’ and ‘The Light’.

There was some conflict caused by Gabriel taking over on the lyrics after the band had worked so hard without him to write the music and it was a sign that all was not harmonious in the Genesis camp. Rutherford was not interested in Gabriel’s ideas and had already begun a project based on Antoine de Saint Exupery’s “The Little Prince”. The lyrics had already been penned by Banks and Rutherford for ‘The Light Dies Down on Broadway’ for the main reason that Gabriel was not able to work out a segue or transition piece between ‘Ravine’ and ‘Riding the Scree’. The writing caused more friction when Gabriel insisted in writing the lyrics to certain songs to fit his concept, namely Banks' ‘The Lamia’ and Hackett's ‘Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist’, but the writers changed the lyrics to fit the music and Gabriel was furious with their tampering with his project.

For a long time it was assumed that Gabriel contributed very little to the music but in the biography, Peter Gabriel: An Authorized Biography by Spencer Bright, it was Jill who stated that Gabriel indeed write the main melody for The Carpet Crawlers’.

In the pre-production phase Gabriel was contacted by filmmaker William Friedkin to embark on a film project that would be based on the sleeve notes of “Genesis Live” and Gabriel actually was interested enough to leave the band in limbo to sort out their problems to write the script for the film. This once again showed he was disinterested in the band to pursue his own interests and it was apparent that his time with Genesis was over. He was no longer in it for the band but for himself. The film was never made and Friedkin who had enjoyed success with “The Exorcist” ended up working with Tangerine Dream to score his mildly successful “Sorcerer”.  

The album was complete finally after a lot of friction in the studio for all concerned but particularly the way that Gabriel took over in the project concerned the band to a degree that they were thinking of letting him go for good. Gabriel was aware of this friction but insisted in dominating the album and many consider this to be his first solo album with the and as back up members. Nevertheless the album remains a triumph of prog opera and hailed by critics as a masterpiece.

The concept of the album is quite a complex allegorical tale of a half- Puerto Rican juvenile delinquent named Rael, the main protagonist of the dream like bizarre tale. In the tour programme of the live show it was explained how the stage show would work towards the overall concept. “To convey the complex story line of the new album, visual aids will be used on three backdrop screens, hinting at three dimensional illusions, slowed down slides will also add to an animated feel. As always, these new technical improvements will serve as painted landscapes adding to the fantasy and clarifying the story line.”

Also Rewiring The Lamb is a tribute show of the album.

Grand Parade play the classic Genesis albums

The Musical Box are infamous for putting on authentic Genesis shows and have performed the entire Lamb album.

There are many unauthorised Cds available of Genesis performing the show live.

There is also an Alternative mix of the album available. 
There is a demo mix available of the album.

These are some of the 5 star Reviews of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway:

excerpts from progarchives reviews:

The critics who are collaborators on progarchives have given this album 5 star reviews such as:

this album is definitely a "desert island selection" -- if I were limited to ten (progressive) discs, THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY would have to be one to load into the dugout canoe.” – Peter

This was a very ambitious recording at the time and was really the highest point in my opinion for GENESIS.” – loserboy

“Mr. GABRIEL had a surprise, an aggressive conceptual (somehow Kafkian) album designed by and for him, that became the icon of progressive rock.” – Ivan Melgar M

“90 minutes of pure Genius.” – Chris S

Fan artwork

For me this album was the pinnacle of Genesis career in prog rock where the music, the lyrics, the overall concept of this concept album are really great.” – Gatot

“I think it is basically a concept album about a very strange dream. It's weird and irrational. Things aren't supposed to be coherent or consistent.” – Slartibartfast

“I think this album is beautifully written, played and produced. A lasting tribute to Peter Gabriel and the initial road for all members of Genesis.” – Garion81

“Really, this is a must own. Everything's great, and it's one of the best concept albums, and one of the best overall albums. A MUST OWN for every prog fan.” – J-Man

“The melodies and rhythms and lyrics are all etched upon my mind- I doubt I could ever forget any of them, and yet every time I listen to this album I seem to hear something I hadn't before, almost as if it's growing on it's own?” – Epignosis

This concept album is the concept album all new concept albums are judged up against. Just ask Spock's Beard.” - toroddfuglested

Now My Review:

Review #536

****The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Gabriel takes a final bow

Genesis was in turmoil during the making of this album. It took me a long time to really appreciate this huge concept album from Gabriel era Genesis. It was to be the last time Gabriel would front the band as he was off to greener pastures on a solo career that was not surprisingly successful. He quit Genesis as he was disheartened by the band members, attitudes were at bay and tempers did fray, so this is an emotional album with turmoil driving it at the centre of its black heart. The music pumped life into the band and the concept was inspirational. However the patient on the table was about to draw his last breath. The operation was a success but the patient died.

At first listen I was confused as to what the band were trying to achieve on this. The songs often run together and it runs out of steam towards the end. The vocals are abrasive and aggressive, especially towards the middle of the album. The band seem lost in the overblown concept and it is indeed the most ambitious overbearing album of the Genesis catalogue. Aside from all this the album tends to grow on you like fungus on the lemon tree.

I am not as big a fan of this as others here and part of the album is deliriously tedious for me, marring a masterpiece status. A studio double album is ambitious and Genesis perhaps bit off more than they could chew here. It was akin to Yes' "Tales of Topographic Oceans" in scale. Overlong, bombastic and conceptually heavy. However, somehow this has become an icon of the band and indeed prog in general.

The bildungsroman of self discovery and personal growth of Rael is as much a part of Gabriel's history as anything he put his hand to post Genesis. Peter Gabriel relinquished the fox head in red dress, and concentrated on the slipperman and the forlorn character of Rael on this double album treat. The rock opera is unforgettable, many critics hailing it as the masterpiece of 1974. The double vinyl album is now a double CD and sounds glorious by any standards. The plot is a conglomeration of Gabriel's fantasies and the life story that is laced by hallucinogenics of a Puerto Rican tramp known as Rael and we hear slices of experiences that may be real or simply figments of Rael's stoned mind. Nevertheless the music is the last great prog opera for Genesis.

The lyrics are concentrically focussed on Rael’s delusional state of mind that is warped with apparitions of stumbling tramps, cocoons, cages and caverns. There are a myriad of characters caught up in the lunacy including anaesthesists, colonies of slippermen, Greek mythological figures and a plethora of quotes from poets, authors and musical composers. At first listen it may seem all too much and perhaps a tad pretentious, but it soon grows on you and you may grow to love this album. I could never love it as it is simply too sporadically weird and does not gel with my musical tastes, however I can see the appeal. In its day the album must have knocked every artist off their perch as there was nothing like it. And oh, how influential this album has become over the years.
The album cover with subjects jumping out of their paintings and escaping the canvas entrapment is iconic. There are songs from this that have become part of Genesis and prog folklore; they are easy to locate amidst the massive running time: The highlight of the entire album is undoubtedly In The Cage, and it has been surpassed in greatness on the live DVD "Genesis In Rome" complete with animated running man in a cage. The music is incredible here, especially Banks on stunning synth staccatos, with powerful melodies that rise to the heavens. Carpet Crawlers is a definitive track that mauled the charts for some time till it faded as a memory. The song is sheer beauty and an emotionally charged treasure. The Colony of Slipperman is simply quintessential to Genesis and masterful. One can never forget the power of grandeur of In The Cage but there also shining moments such as The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with its great melody that is easy to listen to.

These are individual gems, however when taken as a whole concept the album presents some concerns, the main one being, what the blazes is this album trying to say? Is it trying to convey the dangers of losing one's mind, or is it one huge analogy of how to cope in a cruel world? Rael seems to wake up in a cage where he soon comes face to face with the carpet crawlers, supernatural anaesthetists and the Slippermen. The events that happen to Rael are superseded by anxiety and confusion, enhanced by confusing alienating lyrics, but it is safe to assume that Rael the protagonist goes through a living torturous hell, getting castrated, and later encountering his brother John who topples over imaginary rapids but he is chased by Rael and ultimately saved from certain death. If all that confuses you the final twist is found in the last track It. You need not speculate what 'It' is, because it is left open for interpretation, and may be anything from sex to beliefs.

I think the real power of the album lies in its compelling structure and storyline. Gabriel is on fire and at his sardonic best on this as the character of Rael, a cyber punk anarchist with a cause. Collins, Banks, Hackett and Rutherford are there somewhere in the distance behind this megolomaniac protagonist in his plastic cinematographic landscape. The domination of Gabriel is almost astonishingly criminal but there is no getting away from the scintillating keyboards of Banks, brilliant at times, and the rhythm machine of bass and drums extraordinaire, Rutherford and Collins. Hackett is a phenomenon on lead guitars as always, and he absolutely sparkles on this album. Time sig changes on In The Cage are innovative and one of the great examples of how to do it right as part of an overall theme rather than just switching tempos for the sake of it.

There are segues and transitions to songs by short pieces such as Broadway Melody of 1974, to prepare us for the majesty of Cuckoo Cocoon. Hackett features on arpeggios and scales making his guitar soar and the return of Gabriel's flute is a sheer delight. It was almost a farewell to the past, as the flute rarely troubled his solo albums.

The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging is one of the avante garde Genesis romps and it will not appeal to everyone for this reason. It is as far removed from the commercialism of the "Invisible Touch" period of the band, that would plague their creativity, as an alien is from the planet earth.The esoteric soundscape is surreal and it even features vocals that belch; perhaps in a cynical fashion Eno wrote this to create an experimental atypical track that would stand out among the rest. He succeeded.

There is a nihilistic foreboding cynicism in Gabriel on Back In NYC. Bank's keyboards have a massive sound that manages to dominate even over Gabriel's egotism. The character of Rael screeches with utter contempt: "This is your mess I'm stuck in, I really don't belong" and we tend to believe him here. He is a fearsome street punk who takes no prisoners; nobody would dare to step in his way. That would all change. The mellotron swirls and sparkles on Hairless Heart, a sumptuous instrumental where Hackett shows his chops on axe. He drives his guitar headlong with spacey flourishes, a tablature to die for, perhaps an underrated classic for Hackett's virtuoso prowess.

Gabriel becomes even more desperate as the album progresses and by the time we get past the prog ballad Carpet Crawlers to The Chamber of 32 Doors, Rael has become a figure of desolation and despair. The Mellotron cries out as Gabriel's Rael pleads for redemption.

So endeth Act 1 and we then move to the second Act on CD2. This CD is where it begins to drag for me, though there are still moments of glory.

Lilywhite Lilith begins it well with beautiful melodies and energetic flow. The optimist declares the best of all possible worlds, and while the pessimist fears this is so, Rael shines with hope for a future at this stage in the game.

The Waiting Room brings things down considerably, with its surreal structure it is as difficult to grasp as Godspeed You! Black Emperor. The mystique of the track renders it some power like The Beatles Revolution 9, but the hyper strangeness makes it inaccessible and one to skip. At first it is chilling and then after subsequent listens it is downright annoying. In context the piece works as a nightmare for Rael's decline into damnation. It was recorded in pitch dark and sounds it. Perhaps the band could not find inspiration with the lights on but I believe the band really lost their way on this without a torch to guide them, and it can never be justified. One listen is certainly enough.

Anyway is next, and is an accessible piece after the last experimental mental collapse of the last track. It is subdued and peaceful with gentle calm guitars and arpeggiated piano. The lyrics are cryptic but generate visual dioramas of the protagonist's plight. There is a wonderful melodic line and simplicity behind the stark arrangement. "And it's good morning Rael".

The Supernatural Anaesthetist has a brief bizarre diatribe of unintelligible lyrics by Collins and Gabriel and then Hackett launches into space and just plays. The piece is supposed to denote the impact of death or it could be the impact of drugs, who knows?

The Lamia is one of the more memorable tunes with anguished sexualised lyrics and symbolism that are open to interpretation. There are portamento synth lines from Banks permeating the atmosphere. The story line goes into dark territory here are as Rael devours his lovers after an orgy.

Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats is really a transition piece to the next big track, which is the hyper weird surrealism of The Colony of Slippermen. There are estranged jungle noises until the sudden detour into symphonic prog heralded by Banks keyboards and a quote from William Wordsworth; classic poet of the century. The sitar makes an appearance generating an Eastern flavour. The slipperman appears on stage as a distorted fiendish globular creature and Gabriel's monstrous growl gives it chilling substance.

The story line becomes a dream tale of no logic whatsoever at this point and you have to give up and allow it to wash over you as nothing congeals: Rael and his brother John, who is disfigured by VD, give themselves over to a ritual castration performed by a surgeon. Somehow the eventual destination of their genitalia winds up in the beak of a 'Phallus hoarding Magpie' who proceeds to carry away their genitalia in its beak. The pursuit is on for the Thieving Magpie and we wind up in the ravine.

Ravine is another throwaway short track that blows the dust out of an oscillator. The Light Dies Down on Broadway brings us back to the original theme and it's a relief to hear it after all the strange going-ons. The album has lost its way here but the reprise of the familiar is so needed at this point.

Riding the Scree is a Banks blaster, where he is allowed to hook into a groove that cruises along at a quick pace. The vocals are as unconventional as ever at the end of this but after a lengthy keyboard solo they feel forced and pasted on in order to continue the main storyline. No doubt this was an instrumental that Gabriel decided to utilise as part of the concept at the last minute.

In the Rapids brings the album to its eventual conclusion and as such should have been a showstopper. Alas, it is anything but. Rael eventually leaps to his death to save his disloyal brother. Is he a hero for doing this? It is such a hackneyed method to end this story that it almost feels like a hurried afterthought. What will we do with this Rael? Oh, let's have him jump to his death to save his brother. Oh yeah, that'll do. His brother is not even loyal having forsaken Rael on at least two occasions. At least the music is brilliant enough to carry this to a satisfying conclusion. So in terms of music it is satisfying, in terms of story it is a disappointment.

Next we have the oft discussed oddity enigmatically called It. Gabriel here is cynical and swipes at sexual gratification, and music journalists. "its only knock and know-all but I like it" is a direct swipe at The Rolling Stones. This is just Gabriel trying to be funny having recorded in the same studio as the Stones. Whether it works or not is open to conjecture but it is certainly a memorable ending to this magnum opus.

The allegory of a declining social structure with metaphorical allusions has been widely discussed by critics over the years and I can add to this speculation as to the meaning of the lyrics here in some form. The story is compelling and is replete with pop culture references and a saturation of symbolism. But what does it all mean? Here's my take on it. It was yet another busy night on Broadway in the big apple, New York City, where a lone figure made his way through the throng of faceless pedestrians and honking traffic. The street wise Puerto-Rican is a punk named Rael who is stopped dead in his tracks when he notices the disturbing image of a lamb slowly making its way towards him through the steamy city streets. As the bustling traffic roars headlong, incessantly moving in eternal perpetual motion, the lamb lies down. It is a surreal image that buries itself into Rael's subconscious. Why does it lie down? Is it dead? Is it tired of citylife? Is it escaping the chop? Where did it come from? Is it lost wagging its tail behind him? The lamb represents all the innocence of Rael that has somehow been purged by a hard life. It wanders lonely as a cloud and finds a place to finally rest amidst the mad rushing world. Rael too has been sheared of his innocence by the hard knocks of betrayal and survival instincts in an antagonistic society. While he is contemplating this a massive wall rises out of the ground and ascends upwards. It then blasts across Times Square and crushes and annihilates anything that gets in its way. The spectacle seems to occur unnoticed by the pedestrians but Rael is aghast as he witnesses this calamity with its devestating holocaustic cataclysm. Rael is swept up by the Wall and embarks on a cathartic journey of self- discovery. On this journey he encounters the fiends of his darker psyche, the slipperman, the Lamia and carpet crawlers, who devour his life that is ebbing towards self destruction. His past haunts him and transforms into personifications of a world where dreams and nightmares merge into a hyper reality.

[8.jpg]
The sense of entrapment is strong and there seems to be no escape from this plagued society. The social structure becomes plastic and fake and reeking of commercial infestation. The putrefaction of modern living is seen as a Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging. The Waiting Room is the precursor to the dark past which will lead to the Supernatural Anaesthetist and The Colony Of Slippermen. Finally in an effort to save his brother who has been disloyal to Rael despite his undying love, Rael makes the ultimate sacrifice and jumps to his death in the ravine. His brother is redeemed from death and Rael is redeemed from a purposeless life. The moral? In order to find yourself you first must lose yourself, and then you are able to discover freedom from your cocoon. Rael was in a cage, a cuckoo cocoon of lost dreams, echoes of the past and wild imaginings of a dystopian world; a prisoner of his own imagination. To escape this diseased planet the beauty of his soul shone through when he saw his brother at the point of death. Jumping to certain death was his only means of salvation.

Well at least that's my take on this.

So in conclusion the flawed opus of Genesis works well on a number of levels. Philosophically; there is much to gain from a close inspection of the lyrics. Musically; there are masterful performances. Gabrielly; it may be among Peter's best work. Gabriel was like Rael on this album. He felt trapped by rock and roll excess and the drug culture. Like Macbeth, Gabriel felt cabined, cribbed, confined, bound by saucy doubts and fears, and he needed to escape. He did escape his cage and Genesis was never the same again. Genesis was set free from conceptual diatribes on modern society, and were able to rejuvenate into a money making machine. Some say they were better but that is open to argument. Nothing like this album was attempted again. Genesis were in the next phase of their evolution. Collins was about to make his presence felt in a way he could never have dreamed. The dawn of a new Genesis was about to take residence.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 17:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 07:52

1975 Gabriel Out Of Genesis

This television broadcast is one of the rare performances in existence when the band featured Gabriel at his best.  

However he was soon to depart. The band stayed together for some time in 1975. 

The tour continued promoting The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway to great success. Gabriel acted as though nothing was wrong though the band and close associates were well aware it would end after the tour. 

Although Gabriel had announced his departure to the band he stayed with them till the tour ended. The band could not find a replacement and were worried that Genesis may even break up. Gabriel wanted to begin a solo career.

"We came close to calling it a day when Pete left," Rutherford recalls, "It wasn't that we lost our nerve. We were always confident we could write the music, because Tony and I had done most of 'The Lamb.' It was just a question of whether the public would accept us."

The public did.

The classic lineup of Genesis came to a close after the tour in 1975. Peter Gabriel was gone forever and Phil Collins would have to take up the mike. Collins took over on vocals "because he really wanted to do it, basically".  

The headlines of Melody Maker were a shock to the music world. It was finally official: Gabriel was indeed out of Genesis. 

The search was over as Collins decided "have a go at it" as the new lead singer. He had sung on albums before but never as lead singer so the task was daunting to say the least. he made up his mind that he would not try to emulate Gabriel or be as theatrical but continue the quirky humour of the band and bring a balladic style to the group that would remain indefinitely.

During this turbulent transitional period for the group a compilation album was released.

Rock Theatre

1. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) (4:12)
2. Harold The Barrel (3:02)
3. Harlequin (2:55)
4. Watcher Of The Skies (3:46)
5. Fountain Of Salmacis (7:56)
6. Supper's Ready (22:54)

None of the material was new but it signified the end of an era for the band.

My Review:

*** First compilation for Genesis features their quintessential classics

The first compilation signifying the end of an era for Genesis. Gabriel had bowed out to pursue his own interests and the band were left dead in the water. Time for a compilation album. The tour was over in 1975 and Phil Collins was ready to take up the microphone to step into the massive shoes of egotistic Gabriel. Of course the band were not ready at this stage to release a studio album so a compilation was the only answer or no album at all. I still can't for the life of me understand why they did not release a live performance of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway as the bootlegs sound so dang good, it's criminal the band did not jump at the chance, or was that due to Gabriel insisting that they leave him out of it. In any case this compilation features some of Genesis' best material. This is great if you are new to Genesis, however for those of us who already own the 70s albums, a compilation like this is rendered obsolete. The album cover is totally misleading, looking like a live performance of the band and I could have done with that but alas these are exactly as released on studio albums. The packaging looks so fresh and enticing but the stale contents are bitter to the taste if you are already a big enough fan to own their first 5 albums. In reality all compilations are pointless when there is nothing new to offer the fan who has all the studio albums. However I must point out that on this German release there is one surprise rarity that I will mention later in this review.

The track listing is surprisingly well chosen for those who were new to the band back in the 70s. Rather than rewrite new reviews of each track I will plagiarise my own reviews to present my feelings on each track.

From Selling England By The Pound.

The mundane act of mowing a lawn became part of the staple radio diet, "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)". The drone of the lawnmower makes an appearance at the end of the track and it is very effective in making a statement that lawnmowing is part of the English past time, maintaining a healthy lawn is the key. The lyrics are pure whimsy; "When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk, Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk." The theme is therefore that the inanimate object of the mower is speaking about it's existence, it's life on a farm and it's life in a suburban backyard; "Keep them mowing blades sharp." The track ends on Gabriel's fluttering flute solo and an odd jazz rock beat, but radio stations adored playing this as it was such a curiosity.

From Nursery Cryme

'Harold The Barrel' paved the way for such storytelling epics as 'Supper's Ready'. The honky tonk piano will remind one of ELP's 'The Sheriff', equally out of place as this. Gabriel is delightful as he shoves it up the suits of an organised criminal inquest. A "Bognor restaurant-owner disappeared early this morning" and the hunt is on giving Gabriel license to channel all sorts of whimsical characters, such as the Man-in-the-street who suggests "it's disgusting, Such a horrible thing to do, Harold the Barrel cut off his toes and he served them all for tea..." It would be crude if not for the biting satirical delivery. Gabriel is truly sardonic on lines such as "You can't last long, Said you could'nt trust him, his brother was just the same." Gabriel continues to mock the stereotypes of autocracy and Harold's demise is never determined but we hear from his wife, the man on the spot, man on the council, lord mayor and the ridiculous Harold who states "If I was many miles from here, I'd be sailing in an open boat on the sea, Instead I'm on this window ledge..." Will he jump? We never find out. This is reminiscent of all the Gabriel fuelled parodies on the English idyll, no longer a pastoral pastiche but a worldly attack on how the English behave; even with mocking phrases, "we can help you... you must be joking, take a running jump" , Gabriel sneers. It reminds me of 'Willow Farm' section of 'Supper's Ready' or especially 'Get 'em Out by Friday'.

'Harlequin' is more like the pastoral folky feel of "Trespass", a style that would be shed completely as the band matured thankfully as they were always better heavy and bombastic with Gabriel unleashing his fury and antagonism. Here Gabriel is withdrawn and gentle and harmonious with other voices blending in a dreamy way. The lyrics are sugar sweet and balladic but there is an edge that things are surreal and dreamlike. "harlequin, harlequin, Dancing round three children fill the glade, Theirs was the laughter in the winding stream, and in between. From the flames in the firelight." If this were not so short I would have thought it would feel like a filler or throwaway but it is a nice change in direction. I would not rate it as a highlight but there is nothing wrong with some acoustic picking and harmonies from Genesis occasionally in small doses.

From Foxtrot

Here's the one surprise! 'Watcher of the Skies' is the edited rare 7" version so this track I actually did not have at the time. the track itself has an intricate time sig dominated by a driving divine bassline from Rutherford. The sharp sporadic drum beat is a portent of the chaos to come. The lyrics are typical of Gabriel, snappy and cliché driven nonsense that fits perfectly the estranged rhythms of Hackett and Collins. The absurdist lyrics are alienating but sincerely dark and foreboding: "Creatures shaped this planet's soil, Now their reign has come to an end, has life again destroyed life, Do they play elsewhere, or do they know more than their childhood games? Maybe the lizard's shed its tail, This is the end of man's union with Earth." Questions, questions, questions... no answers but a myriad of unbridled purpose driven ruminations about life and death. The melody juxtaposes a bright tune to this darkness, and it works exceptionally well. The tale of alien invasion is perfect for the satirical nature of the music. You can really feel the tension in the way Gabriel delivers; he must be one of the legends of prog for his contribution. Banks flies off the deep end with the keyboards and the rhythm is driving in 6/4 rhythm, and bombastic sounds dominate. Listen to it on "Genesis Live" for a real experience in instrumental genius. The mellotron is wonderfully played and adds to the surreal fantasy soundscape. The dynamics are a collision of guitar and drums with a multi layered keyboard wave of sound.

From Nursery Cryme

'Fountain of Samalcis' is another outstanding track and begins with a beautiful volume swell of mellotron ominously building like a jet plane swooping past, perhaps like a fountain rising and falling. Gabriel tells the weird surreal story and the track builds with glorious mellotron orchestrated in a symphonic crescendo by Banks. The story is a retelling of the Greek myth about an Hermaphrodite and yet it is captivating to reinvent the age old tale, a musical theatrical powerhouse. Gabriel brings the story to life with his excellent vocal prowess, perfection of intonation and pronounced tone that is stirring and evocative; "As the dawn creeps up the sky, The hunter caught sight of a doe. In desire for conquest, He found himself, within a glade he'd not beheld before... Where are you my father, Then he could go no farther, Give wisdom to your son, Now lost, the boy was guided by the sun". The violining of Hackett's guitar is masterful and he plays some angular riffs in this that are repeated as a hypnotic motif camouflaged by Banks soft key pads. Gabriel chimes in with "as he rushed to quench his thirst... A fountain spring appeared before him And as his heated breath brushed through the cool mist, A liquid voice called Son of gods, drink from my spring" . The bassline is notable of Rutherford. An interlude of soaring guitar ensues, with strong rhythmic shapes from Collins on percussion, a strange brew of bombastic glory. The bassline pulses stronger and some cathedral pipe organ is heard. I love this part and it continues to build to the next verse and the music answers Gabriel in turn. Pipe organ flourishes follow and a staccato organ that sweeps across a layer of frenetic bass and chaotic drumming. It fades for a time and builds with the huge organ swells like sunlight bursting through dark clouds, rays of light across the horizon. There is a grand finale with simmering elegance that shoots rays of light at the end to culminate in an apocalyptic crescendo.

From Foxtrot

'Supper's Ready': THE best Genesis song ever? Why not when you have a twenty three minute epic from Genesis with the legendary effervescent Peter Gabriel at his sinister best. It is quintessential to the band and indeed is a prime example of what prog is. What makes 'Supper's Ready' such a masterpiece juggernaut? There are a number of factors to take into consideration. First and foremost is the music. A tapestry of interludes, signifiers, climaxes, crescendos and majestic outros. It moves in so many directions and shifts time signatures that it is hard to keep up. There are many styles of music integrated within the structure. It is not easy to integrate songs together into one huge epic but this is a perfect example of when it works as a multi movement suite; a magnum opus of music. Other perfect examples are Caravan's 'Nine Feet Underground' and as mentioned Van der Graaf Generator's 'Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers' and of course Yes' 'Close To The Edge'. These epics are also seamless multi-movement suites where a number of songs at different tempos and styles are integrated into one huge epic, and if you know anything about prog you should know that these are the best examples of the genre. It allows the band to utilise all their talents into one package and they do this in spades in an impulsive feat of dextrous impetuosity. It is a blitzkrieg of virtuoso instrumental intensity. Secondly, the performance of Peter Gabriel as the actor/ storyteller is incredible. His vocals are extraordinary and hammered the nail in the coffin as the master frontman of prog rock. I saw Genesis do this live in an ancient 70s filmclip kicking around YouTube in three parts and Gabriel metamorphoses into various costumes and masks, a fox, a flower?, an impish child clown, a magician, an alien Pied Piper, a Pythagoras pyramid, to tell this epic tale of the apocalypse, or whatever it is. Which brings us to the third reason why this is a masterpiece.

The lyrics. They are strange, dark, mystifying and downright intelligently written. Once heard, the lyrics have an uncanny ability to hide in the dark shadowy corners of the subconscious where your mind makes irrational connections to the real. The song begins with the impetuous weird lyrics of 'i. Lover's Leap'. Is it about suicide? Or is it about lost love? Or something more sinster? Or merely portentous twaddle? "Walking across the sitting-room, I turn the television off. Sitting beside you, I look into your eyes. As the sound of motor cars fades in the night time, I swear I saw your face change, it didn't seem quite right." It is definitely a love song, albeit a jaded romance, something is wrong and we sense it in the almost cynical, farcical manner Gabriel spits out the words. The song actually puts the reader off the scent of what is about to unfold. The Red Herring of romantic interludes "Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true" is unsettling because the song will soon detonate into some unnerving passages of music. The lyrics signify the darkness coming over the mocking sunshine music, listen to the alliteration on "Six saintly shrouded men move across the lawn slowly. The seventh walks in front with a cross held high in hand... And it's hey babe your supper's waiting for you..." hence the name of the song is mentioned, which is still a mystery to me. What is the supper, who prepared it, and who is waiting for it? We may never know, I don't think Gabriel even knew. And I don't think he cared as long as he had a chance to stalk an unprepared audience. The enigmatic lyrics are part of the progressive off kilter essence of the song. It segues seamlessly into the very bizarre 'ii. The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man'.

Here the harvest is about to begin, a biblical term for revival but what is its meaning here with contemptuous lyrics such as, "He's a supersonic scientist, He's the guaranteed eternal sanctuary man. Look, look into my mouth he cries, And all the children lost down many paths, I bet my life, you'll walk inside, Hand in hand, Gland in gland, With a spoonful of miracle, He's the guaranteed sanctuary man."

The sexualised mockery continues and transfixes, and it is daunting to hear the lyrics that will years later become the quintessence of a Queen classic, "We will rock you, rock you little snake." 'iii. Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men' is a build up of scornful ideas that make less sense than the previous material. We hear the fabricated sound of children's voices that are chanting something rather bizarre but the music really goes pitch dark as a staccato chord clangs loud. A soft flute and guitar trade off each other as a keyboard is stroked delicately. The derisive lyrics become alienating and menacingly cold, "Killing foe for peace...bang, bang, bang. Bang, bang bang... And they're giving me a wonderful potion, 'Cos I cannot contain my emotion. And even though, I'm feeling good, Something tells me, I'd better activate my prayer capsule." So the religious overtones from the debut album, "From Genesis to Revelation", are being revisited, in fact the theme is becoming blatant at this point; "Today's a day to celebrate, the foe have met their fate. The order for rejoicing and dancing has come from warlord." It is apparent that an apocalyptic battle is about to ensue and this may be the end times as in the apocalypse in the Bible's book of Revelation, though it is unclear with the lyrics masked behind poetic metaphors, pseudonyms and psychedelic symbolism.

'iv. How Dare I Be So Beautiful?' is interesting lyrically speaking, about "Wandering in the chaos the battle has left, We climb up the mountain of human flesh, To a plateau of green grass, and green trees full of life." Do we really understand the meaning here and to be honest can we ever comprehend where this song is going? The answer is a resounding 'no', though many have attempted to interpret this and it perhaps rests on personal explanation rather than straightforward meaning explained. "We watch in reverence, as Narcissus is turned to a flower. A flower?" questions Gabriel. Perhaps we are seeing here a transformation or metamorphosis of an evil being, Narcissus the Greek mythological creature, changed into a pure being and Gabriel gets a chance to don his flower head gear and, with barefaced arrogance, prance around the stage.

During the concert performance of 'v. Willow Farm' Gabriel is a figure in black with flower head stalking the stage as sinister as he can get, leering and sneering with disdain. He marches in time to the stabs of music; 1, 2, 3, 4... The menacing figure of Gabriel is confronting and the lyrics are absolutely chilling, "If you go down to Willow Farm, to look for butterflies, flutterbies, gutterflies, Open your eyes, it's full of surprise, everyone lies, like the fox on the rocks, and the musical box." It's interesting that he mentions songs of the band to come such as 'Musical Box' and a close reference to "Foxtrot". Winston Churchill gets a mention and a frog that was a prince, that became a brick, then the brick became an egg, and the egg was a bird. It is like the world of Dr Seuss; perhaps the writers read "Fox In Socks" prior it penning this. Gabriel adopts a supercilious attitude as he muses that we are all as "happy as fish, and gorgeous as geese". It's fiendishly childish and pretentious and even precocious but undeniably ferocious in its original approach. Gabriel sounds pompously English as he babbles gobbledygook about the father in the office and the mother in her domestic role, "Dad diddley office, Dad diddley office.... Dad to dam to to dum to mum, Mum diddley washing, Mum diddley washing... Ooee-ooee-ooee-oowaa" , you get the point. The song itself is one of the most memorable pieces of the epic. But nothing comes close to the wonderful next section.

'vi. Apocalypse in 9/8 (featuring the delicious talents of Gabble Ratchet)' is nothing short of brilliant. The amazing time signature in 9/8 is superb with mind bending guitar and keyboards, the rhythmic bass and drums are outstanding. The audacious lyrics are as dark as Genesis gets, "With the guards of Magog, swarming around, The Pied Piper takes his children underground. The Dragon's coming out of the sea, with the shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me. He brings down the fire from the skies, You can tell he's doing well, by the look in human eyes." There are definite references to Revelation here, shrouded in typical symbolism but nevertheless undisputable, especially the reference to "666 is no longer alone..." and "the seven trumpets blowing sweet rock and roll". A parody of Revelation in a sense, something that many heavy metal bands adopted during the great late 80s revival of metal. So as Gabriel bellows and croons with sledgehammer delivery lyrics such as "Pythagoras with the looking-glass, reflecting the full moon, In blood" , the music begins to settle down into another section and in fact bookends the opening "Hello baby" lyrics and melody, and another familiar melody is heard, and we may suspect that the song is going to end, but it is a false ending; there is one part left of this colossal beast.

'vii. As Sure as Eggs is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)' is the disorientating finale and what a finale! The amazing ending is replenished with huge fortissimo orchestral sections, mellotron style, and Gabriel's ruthless voice soars into the stratosphere. "There's an angel standing in the sun, and he's crying with a loud voice, "This is the supper of the mighty one", Lord Of Lords, King of Kings, Has returned to lead his children home, To take them to the new Jerusalem." It sounds like a Neal Morse song here. So we end with a reference to the New Heaven and New Earth in the book of Revelation. The supper is not the last supper of Jesus, it is not an ordinary supper, it is the feast of triumph when the Lord returns to take his children home in the rapture an then as the earth burns to a cinder, God will create his New Jerusalem. Well, that's my interpretation; you will have your own that will be equally as valid. ELP returns to this theme of Jerusalem, it seems the Biblical theme was one of prog bands favourites. It is the unmitigated majesty of the music and the triumphant and glorious crescendos that lift the spirit on this; it ends on a high note and it ends on a memorable lyric, this is why it is a gargantuan masterpiece.

In conclusion, 6 excellent songs that if taken alone could produce a masterpiece. But these are just taken from masterpiece albums and thrown together to make a few dollars for the band who were struggling to find form at this stage without Gabriel. Therefore the best I could manage is 3 stars. Curiously the debut album, Trespass, and Lamb Lies Down On Broadway are totally ignored for this compilation. The album could have included Musical Box, The Knife, Firth of Fifth and In The Cage if it had been a double album and this would have been a far better compilation representing each album to this point. Due to the vintage value, this is one album to grab if you see it cheap in a bargain bin on vinyl, otherwise just buy the first few Genesis albums.

Two singles were released during the tour.

1. Carpet Crawlers
2. Waiting Room

1. Counting Out Time
2. Riding The Scree

This rerelease featured a picture sleeve of Gabriel.

There was little success of both singles. However the band were busy in the studios working on their next album; an album that would prove there is life for Genesis after Gabriel.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 17:57
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 06:54
With Gabriel out of Genesis I am going to have to motivate myself to carry this blog onwards - tho trick of the tail is an exceptional album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 08:03
Genesis blog laying low for a while but will get back to it soon hopefully.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>