Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 10:57
Great stuff as always!!! Will need to re-read some of this during our Thanksgiving break later this week.

Cheers
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 00:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Great stuff as always!!! Will need to re-read some of this during our Thanksgiving break later this week.

Cheers

Thanks you so much. i am going to do Invisible Touch soonOuchLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 07:04
1986 Losing the Midas Touch....

Genesis Invisible Touch album cover

Genesis go pop!

Track listing:

1. Invisible Touch (3:27) 
2. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (8:50) 
3. Land Of Confusion (4:44) 
4. In Too Deep (4:57) 
5. Anything She Does (4:06) 
6. Domino (10:41) 
part 1 - In The Glow Of The Night 
part 2 - The Last Domino 
7. Throwing It All Away (3:48) 
8. The Brazilian (5:04)

Total Time: 45:37

The Video:

The Singles:

1. Invisible Touch (3:26)
2. The Last Domino (6:15)

1. Throwing It All Away (3:41)
2. Do the Neurotic (5:21)

1. Land of Confusion (4:45)
2. Feeding the Fire (5:54)

Genesis In Too Deep  album cover

1. In Too Deep (4:59)
2. I'd Rather Be You (3:54)

1. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - Edited Version
2. In The Glow Of The Night
3. Paperlate
4. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - 12'' Remix

1. Tonight, Tonight Tonight Tonight
2. In The Glow Of The Night

My Review of Invisible Touch:

1 stars Throwing it all Away like an Invisible Crutch.

Here's how to appease record labels. Sell out and forget your solid prog roots and rebuild a new fan base of teeny bopping girly dancers. They succeeded. This sold like hot cakes and rocketed to number one. I own the vinyl and it cost me 50 cents at a second hand store; that's what it is worth too!

"Invisible Touch" is a damned album, a wretched album that ushered in a new Genesis sound that was only approved by those who were not enamoured with the prog Genesis with Gabriel in full voice.

Banks, Collins and Rutherford were now in charge and sold completely out to a mediocre crystalline 80s sound that was not even close to progressive. Domino was Ok as a ten minute romp into prog territory but it never measures up to the classic sound the band was famous for.

Gone are the musical interludes. Hyper lyrics and musicianship only to be replaced by that 80s synth radio friendly pop sound, and awful synthesized drums, and processed vocals.

The album sold huge amounts due to the singles 'Invisible Touch' and 'In Too Deep' showing a balladic Collins singing about love, love, love. In other words no different to other radio bands. The fans were becoming female as a result of course but all of the innovation and creativity was being sucked out of the group and becoming plastic and not a bit fantastic.

I like 'Land of Confusion' because the melody grew on me and I actually liked the film clip at the time. 'Invisible Touch' was a song that haunted the radio, and I remember it being sung on Young Talent Time, the 80s teenage talent show, by some unknown singer as teenyboppers screamed his name; sick. It was fun when I was a teen but nowadays it is so dated and better forgotten.

'Anything She Does' is notable for the film clip with hilarious funny man Benny Hill taking centre stage, as he visits Genesis in their dressing room, and continues to try and cater to their outlandish wishes, even showing some gorgeous groupies the way out, complete with speeded up action, and a dressing room full of weird oddballs. The band were certainly innovative in their MTV clips.

The song 'Throwing it All Away' was self prophetic as the band were throwing away everything that made them great. The clip to this was again innovative with the band filming themselves during rehearsals and it features some great backstage footage.

Overall though this is an atrocious album. Even the album cover is corny with a stupid design that the average person could emulate on a computer. "Abacab" was worse overall, but this is still a terrible album! I changed my rating to 1 star, as 2 stars is being too kind.

To be continued....

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 08 2013 at 07:28
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 09:23
An Amazing blog. I hope you do others like that. I love them.
Another triumph for one of my favorite reviewers.
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 18:50
^^^^ Thanks heaps! I have to finish this so cheers for the encouragement.
Morsenator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2013 at 05:21
Great stuff! Clap
You love the music, the music loves you!
http://moonsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2014 at 07:19
Next section in the making... takes time though
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 06:48
1991 Genesis shed the prog but find radio success....

5 years pass before Genesis return to the studios to release their 14th album "We can't Dance". From this very successful album a total of 6 singles are released for radio airplay; 

1. "No Son of Mine" Released: 21 October 1991
  2. "I Can't Dance" Released: 30 December 1991
  3. "Hold on My Heart" Released: 6 April 1992
  4. "Jesus He Knows Me" Released: 13 July 1992
  5. "Never a Time" Released: 5 November 1992
  6. "Tell Me Why" Released: 8 February 1993

The album was  released on 11 November 1991 on Atlantic labels, reaching number 1 in the UK, staying for 61 weeks in the charts. It reached number 4 in the United States and sold several mission copies. It was to be Phil Collins final studio album with Genesis before embarking on a lucrative solo career in 1996. 

The songs tell a story and are often social commentaries about the era it was recorded in.The album culminated in an extensive tour spanning May to July 1992 and 15 dates in the UK October to November. Genesis were on the road to promote their successful album, and played 55 concerts. Phil Collins would return to touring with Genesis in the reunion tour of 2007. 

Album tracks:

1. No Son Of Mine (6:38) 
2. Jesus He Knows Me (4:16) 
3. Driving The Last Spike (10:08) 
4. I Can't Dance (4:01) 
5. Never A Time (3:50) 
6. Dreaming While You Sleep (7:15) 
7. Tell Me Why (4:58) 
8. Living Forever (5:41) 
9. Hold On My Heart (4:37) 
10. Way Of The World (5:38) 
11. Since I Lost You (4:09) 
12. Fading Lights (10:16)

Total Time: 71:26

DVD release

The Singles

Genesis  No Son Of Mine album cover

1. No Son Of Mine
2. Living Forever

1992 singles

Genesis I Cant Dance  album cover

7" single

1.I Can't Dance (4:01)
2.On the Shoreline ( 4:46)

12" single

1.I Can't Dance (4:02)
2.On the Shoreline ( 4:47)
3.I Can't Dance (sex mix) ( 6:59)

CD maxi - Europe

1.I Can't Dance (4:02)
2.On the Shoreline ( 4:47)
3,In Too Deep (live) (5:28)
4.That's All (live) (4:54)

CD maxi - U.S.

1.I Can't Dance (LP version) (4:00)
2.On the Shoreline (4:45)
3,In Too Deep (live) (5:28)
4.That's All (live) (4:54)
5.I Can't Dance (sex mix) ( 6:59)

Genesis Hold On My Heart album cover

1. Hold On My Heart (4:38)
2. Way Of The World (5:37)
3. Home By The Sea (Live) (12:18)
4. Your Own Special Way (Live) (6:58)

Genesis Tell Me Why 5 Cd single album cover

1. Tell Me Why
2. Dreaming While You Sleep - Live
3. Turn It On Again - 1992 Live

Genesis Jesus He Knows Me 5 CD single album cover

1. Jesus He Knows Me
2. Hearts On Fire
3. Land Of Confusion - Rehearsal Version

1993 singles
Genesis Tell me why album cover

1. "Tell Me Why" (4:58)
2. "Invisible Touch" (live) (5:18)

Genesis Never a Time album cover

1. Never a Time (3:52)
2. Dreaming While You Sleep (Live) (7:56)
3. Turn It On Again (1992 Live) (5:19)
4. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (Full Version Live) (9:34)

DVD release

A HISTORY OF GENESIS

Genesis A History Of Genesis album cover

Featured Tracks (excerpts):
1. Turn It On Again (live, Knebworth 1990)
2. Am I Very Wrong?
3. In the Beginning
4. The Silent Sun
5. The Knife
6. Stagnation 
7. Where the Sour Turns to Sweet
8. Colours (live, Phil Collins as soloist)
9. The Return of the Giant Hogweed (live, 1972)
10. The Fountain of Salmacis (live, 1972)
11. Black Light (Steve Hackett as soloist)
12. The Musical Box (live)
13. Watcher of the Skies (live, 1973)
14. Supper`s Ready (live, 1973), ... etc.

Total Time: Approx. 90 minutes

Tour Programs

LIVE ALBUMS

THE WAY WE WALK SHORTS

Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts album cover
1. Land Of Confusion (5:16) 
2. No Son Of Mine (7:05) 
3. Jesus He Knows Me (5:23) 
4. Throwing It All Away (6:01) 
5. I Can't Dance (6:54) 
6. Mama (6:50) 
7. Hold On My Heart (5:40) 
8. That's All (4:58) 
9. In Too Deep (5:36) 
10. Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (3:35) 
11. Invisible Touch (5:41)

Total Time: 62:59

THE WAY WE WALK LONGS

Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Volume Two - The Longs album cover

1. Old Medley (19:31) 
Dance On A Volcano 
The Lamb Lies Down On 
Broadway 
The Musical Box 
Firth Of Fifth 
I Know What I Like 
2. Driving The Last Spike (10:17) 
3. Domino (11:20) 
part 1 - In The Glow Of The Night 
part 2 - The Last Domino 
4. Fading Lights (10:54) 
5. Home By The Sea / Second Home By The Sea (12:16) 
6. Drum Duet (6:06)

Total Time: 70:27

My Reviews

Genesis We Cant Dance  album cover

2 stars We Can't Dance, and We Can't Play Prog!

OK, you know where this is going to end up and it won't be pretty! If this is prog I am going to sell my prog collection to the highest bidder or sell England by the Pound or perhaps Trespass on the nearest Broadway Where the Lamb Lies Down to take a Foxtrot. Phil Collins openly stated on the 'Live In Rome' doco that the band began to garner a female audience and this only occurred when the music changed. If that's what the band wanted, to branch out on their target audience, that is what they received, but at the expense of glorious progressive music.

Genesis' music changed to such an extent that if you listen to the prog material such as 'Duke' and compare it to this they are from alternate universes, at polar opposites from one another. I don't mind a band experimenting with styles but this is selling out by the pound. The single smash hit 'Jesus He Knows Me' is proof positive that Genesis know how to write songs and do it well, and I am a real fan of the opening 'No Son Of Mine', especially the lyrics, and the emotive themes. Both are excellent and very infectious as far as melody is concerned. Collins sings well as usual and with fixed emotion.

There is no doubt the band is talented and you cannot take that away from them with the likes of Banks, Rutherford and Collins. The musical direction of the band is unsurpassed on their classic albums. Gabriel and Hackett were the prog geniuses and with them gone the band struggled to stand up in the difficult 80s. Let's face it, every prog band did and then at the beginning of the 90s prog slowly began to emerge as a dominant force. Genesis did not care for the past of course and opted for the fresh 80s sound of infectious choruses and poppy synthesizer riffs. It wasn't the newcomers that were infected by this, they embraced it and thought Genesis were a great new pop group who dominated the charts, they were completely oblivious of "Foxtrot". The problem stemmed with the prog fans who longed for that incredible progressive sound of the band; a sound they discarded.

Instead we get the deplorable "Invisible Touch" single dominated album, and years later this effort, which is only a notch above that album. The lengthy 'Driving The Last Spike' at 10 minutes promises much but delivers very little and live it is even worse.

'I Can't Dance' is an atypical poppy riff heavy danceable thing but it has the effect of polluting your mind and you can't get the dang chorus out of your head, aka a top 10 hit. The film clip is rather good as it is hilarious in its own way, Collins hamming it up big time as he tends to do in these latest tracks.

The forgettable tracks sandwiched between are real throwaways including, 'Dreaming While You Sleep', 'Tell Me Why', 'Living Forever', and 'Since I lost You'. No prizes for guessing that these are primarily Collins driven ballads and have no real redeeming features unless you are into power ballads or romantic claptrap. They merge into the wallowing synth-soaked money making machine that pummelled us in the decade of dance. I am simply giving this music a wide berth and I have played these tracks a grand total of one time and you won't convince me they are worth returning to. That's why I love prog, to indulge in complex, innovative music and to steer clear of these tepid poppy tracks. 'Hold On My Heart' is OK because I have heard this on the radio and it somehow appealed to my guilty pleasures. If the melody is strong enough you can forgive the tepid emotional drivel. At this point, you are perhaps thinking I am an anti-romantic individual. I can tell you that I am not, but when it comes to music, I am sick and tired of the sugar-coated radio friendly themes of 'girl meets boy, they fall in love, and then out of love and Air Supply appear and croon a lovely little song about it'. There's just too much of it out there and it saturates the air waves and makes you think that love is everything that makes the world go round. Yes would disagree on their 'Tales From Topographic Oceans', Pink Floyd would disagree on their 'Dark Side of The Moon'; these are the albums that changed a generation in music, but these other albums that were churned out with the likes of songs such as 'Way Of The World', 'Since I Lost You' and 'Fading Lights' ? well, I am speechless.

Genesis would do better than these on subsequent releases as we have seen with their live material especially the masterful DVD "Live In Rio". I would give this a miss and grab "The Platinum Collection" as everything on this that's worthwhile is there. This is quite a disappointing album with three good songs. Collectors need only apply.

Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Volume One - The Shorts album cover

1 stars Short songs to dance to? who needs it?

Ah this is the short song live thing that came out at the same time as the longs which is infinitely better. There are some radio singles here to groove to if that's your thing. We have the best and the worst of Genesis on these releases. The best on this particular compilation is Land Of Confusion, No Son Of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, Mama, In Too Deep ? songs that have some merit for great melodic washes of music and Collins at his cynical best on vocals and even pouring out some emotion.

The worst are easier to spot; Throwing It All Away, I Can't Dance, Hold On My Heart, That's All, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Invisible Touch ? all of which are singles that have no prog and are really products of the retro 80s and as a result genuine throwaways. To hear them again on the live set only justifies the reason I cannot stand this type of music. The cheesy lyrics, girly synths and downright saccharine coated melodies are insufferable.

Bring on the 'Longs' live album which runs circles around this radio commercial tripe.

Genesis Live - The Way We Walk Volume Two - The Longs album cover

2 stars Genesis return to their prog roots... but still manage to ignore what made them great.

The Longs is an accompaniment to the Shorts which featured a bunch of ballads and 80s singles. Well, obviously this live collection of longer songs is a progger's delight. Every track on this is a killer classic and wonderful to indulge in. The Old Medley is a 20 minute piece with gorgeous versions of Dance On A Volcano, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, The Musical Box, Firth Of Fifth, I Know What I Like - all jammed into one non stop classic that I played more than the rest of the album. Unfortunately it does not hold a candle to the original songs and even has some tacky pop offerings at the end which ruins the experience.

Nevertheless, surely this track would have shocked the teenage set that would have bought this after loving Invisible Touch and Abacab albums. I hope they got a pleasant surprise too as this is the Genesis that we all know and love, those of us who know Genesis is far more capable of more that I Can't Dance and Hold On My Heart. I just wish if they are going to play old classics that they would do them justice. I must admit their recent Live In Rome DVD does just that, but not here on the tour.

The next track is a great version of Driving The Last Spike and I was also quite enamoured of this live take on Domino with both parts clocking 11:20. Perhaps this is better than the Invisible Touch version. Fading Lights is an unusual choice, rarely heard live these days but it is always a delight to hear the ominous Home By The Sea / Second Home By The Sea and this 12 minute attack is followed by a 6 minute Drum Duet that does nothing for me. All in all this Cd captures imperfectly why we all love the prog era of Genesis, and it typifies that the band have no idea what to do with this great music. It is just a shame they reverted to the 80s pop kitsch instead of remaining true to their progressive roots.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 07:24
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 07:30
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

STEVE HACKETT

ALBUMS AND SINGLES

1975 VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE
1978 PLEASE DON'T TOUCH
1979 SPECTRAL MORNINGS
1980 DEFECTOR
1983 TILL WE HAVE FACES
1983 BAY OF KINGS
1984 CURED
1985 HIGHLY STRUNG
1988 MOMENTUM
1992 TIME LAPSE LIVE
1992 THE UNAUTHORISED BIOGRAPHY
1993 GUITAR NOIR
1995 BLUES WITH A FEELING
1997 WATCHER OF THE SKIES:GENESIS REVISTED
1997 A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM
1998 THE TOYKO TAPES
1999 THERE ARE MANY SIDES TO THE NIGHT
1999 DARKTOWN
2000 SKETCHES OF SATIE
2000 FEEDBACK '86

Hi AtomicCrimsonRush, I would like to ask if would you please include the album Metamorpheus, released in 2005, in the Steve Hackett's Albums and Singles, given the fact that it was one of his most important classical albums, successor to A Midsummer Nights Dream. Thanks

Edited by Rick Robson - March 13 2014 at 07:31

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 07:50
^Sorry, didn't note your list of Hackett's finished in the year 2000, would ask you for the inclusion also of:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 09:25
Oh I see the lists there need to be complete. Thanks. Will add later. Cheers for that!
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:01
Scott congrats on the Genesis blog, reading through this has been a pleasure.Clap
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:24

Oh I see the lists there need to be complete. Thanks. Will add later. Cheers for that!

Also forgot to congratulate you for the nice Genesis thread.

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 11:29
Scott, thanks for the time and hardwork in putting this blog together.  Glad it got bumped again so I could see it.  I learned a lot of stuff I didn't know before.  A fun read!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 15:12
Yes glad it got bumped.......I read some again and really enjoy it......Great work Scott!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 16:21
Thankyou  for all those kind comments. I had no idea this project would last for 5 years or so but its been a learning curve of research and listening to all Genesis albums.  And for that reason has been enjoyable. There is still one studio album to come and then the reunion before this is over and I will do those later.

I will update those lists in the OP too.

Cheers guys!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 18:53
OK spent some time updating all the album information of Genesis members and deleted dead links to pictures adding a few new ones. The internet is so temporary these days!

Anyway it should look better now.
Sollak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 22:35
Oh my... all I can say is: Fantastic!! Great work, thanks!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 06:22
Thanks Sollak - I LOVE your avatar too! Avatar
Sollak View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2014 at 20:35

Thanks Sollak - I LOVE your avatar too! Avatar