Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - An Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn Illustrated History of A Band called Genesis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 21:38
Hi All:

I just came across an interesting image that seems to be the basis of the Trespass cover.

I found it on a great art blog,

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com

It was in a posting of illustrations from a 1911 book by Richard Wagner of the dramatic poem from which his Tannhauser opera was derived. 

The Art is by Willy Pogany (1882-1955), as noted in the top of the posting, copied here.

Willy Pogany
1882 ~ 1955

Tannhauser ~ a dramatic poem by Richard Wagner
Published by Brentano's ~ 1911

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/2011/01/willy-pogany-1882-1955-tannhauser-by.html

The image is about 2/3 down the page.

Chris

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 07:39
That is a nice find - almost identical to Trespass album!
cjrutty View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 20:40
Its not uncommon for artists to utilize/ adapt other works of art into new forms. As this image dates from a 1911 book by Wagner, the age and subject matter of the image appear to have been inspirational for Paul Whitehead for its use in the context of Genesis' music for this particular album. It would be interesting to find out from Whitehead himself how he approached designing the cover.

There are more Willy Pogany illustrations from the 1912 book "Parsifal" by Wagner posted at:

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/2011/01/willy-pogany-parsifal-by-wagner.html

You can also see more of his art by doing a simple http://images.google.com search.

Chris

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 14:04
I am loving this blog...just stupendous, thanks for dedicating a blog to Genesis.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2011 at 20:45
Thanks for all the encouragement. I cant bring myself to do any more blogs at present but will get back to it eventually.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 01:46
1976 - Genesis perform a new Trick of the Tail

After the successful tour of 1975 without Mr Gabriel, Genesis members soldiered on with their new frontman Phil Collins. They were gaining new fans but the image was less progressive in terms of actual image. There were no fox heads, Slippermen or flowers now. Instead the band were simply performing great concerts worldwide to an eager packed out audience. The critcs were watching to see if they could continue without the flamboyance of Gabriel and his stage antics. The next album had to be of a high standard with excellent songs or the wheels would fall off the Genesis bandwagon. To follow up on the success of the early 70s, Genesis had to write great songs that would resonate with their strong fanbase and yet the songs had to remain viable for the label they were assigned.

The next album was released and remains one of the best sans Peter Gabriel. Arguably it was the best prog album of the year and cemented Genesis' reputation as the definitive super group. It would be hailed by critics and the prog community for years to come; a genuine classic "A Trick of the Tail."

Colin Elgie's cover art became an iconic part of the Genesis image.

Genesis A Trick Of The Tail album cover

Three video clips were made as promotional tools for the first time to aid the sales of the album. The videos made were for Ripples, Trick of the Tail, and Robbery, Assault and Battery. genesis would continue to make promo clips for susequent albums and Genesis became instrumental in the video promo boom during the next few years, especially in the MTV 80s era.  

The single:

The Album:

A Trick Of The Tail

UK:

Entered the UK charts on 28-Feb-1976

Reached Position #3 on 13-Mar-1976

Spent 39 weeks in the charts.

In a readers Poll voted as The Best Album in 1976.

US:

Entered the US charts on 20-Mar-1976

Reached Posiiton #31 on 15-May-1976

Spent 19 weeks in the charts.

Certified Gold by the RIAA in April 1990

The track listing is:

1. Dance On A Volcano — 5:53
2. Entangled — 6:28
3. Squonk — 6:27
4. Mad Man Moon — 7:35
5. Robbery, Assault & Battery — 6:15
6. Ripples — 8:03
7. A Trick Of The Tail — 4:34
8. Los Endos — 5:46

total time 51:06

The band toured the album to great success.

The members playing on it consist of:

Phil Collins, vocals, drums, percussion

Mike Rutherford, 12 string guitar, bass, bass pedals;
Tony Banks, pianos, synthesizers, organ, mellotron, 12 string guitar, backing vocals;
Steve Hackett, guitar, 12 string guitar

Cd booklet with illustrations.

Japanese vinyl pressing:

This success of the album was financially crucial for Genesis who were $400,000 in debt when Peter Gabriel departed.

The rare outtakes and demos captured on this bootleg:

alternative cover

The tour included Bill Bruford joining the group and boasted an impressive set list. the concert is captured on the "Genesis in Concert" movie now on Video and DVD.

Set List
  1. "Dance on a Volcano"
  2. "Lamb Stew Medley" – "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"/"Fly on a Windshield"/"The Carpet Crawlers"
  3. "The Cinema Show"
  4. "Robbery, Assault and Battery"
  5. "White Mountain"
  6. "Firth of Fifth"
  7. "Entangled"
  8. "Squonk"
  9. "Supper's Ready"
  10. "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)"
  11. "Los Endos"

encore

12. "It"/"Watcher of the Skies"

File:Genesis Movie Poster.jpg

recent promo materials
collectible platinum series edition:
cup merchandise

On vinyl

on cassette:
On Cd

My review:

*****The genie had escaped from the bottle and Genesis were free again

Perhaps the overly creative Peter Gabriel was actually stifling the creativity of Genesis by overpowering them with his own creative juices. After Peter Gabriel left, many feel that the magic was extracted from the band, in a sense the cork had been popped and the genie had escaped from the bottle. Gabriel went on to do other great things and left the band dangling by a thread with the reluctant Phil Collins to take up where Gabriel left off. "We came close to calling it a day when Pete left," Rutherford mentioned in an interview, "It wasn't that we lost our nerve. We were always confident we could write the music, because Tony and I had done most of 'The Lamb.' It was just a question of whether the public would accept us." There was a lot of misconception that the band could not continue sans Gabriel. After the enormously popular "The Lamb Lies Down In Broadway" the band had to come up with something extraordinary as there was such an expectation with this new lineup. Could Genesis pull it off without the enigmatic Gabriel? The answer is a bonafide yes. This is perhaps one of the best Post Gabriel Genesis albums of all time. The musicianship is absolutely brilliant when you have the likes of Hackett guitar extraordinaire with, Banks, masterful on keyboards and mellotron, Rutherford, bass rhythm professional, and of course, percussionist Collins on lead vocals.

It begins with the progalicious off kilter rhythms of Dance on a Volcano with Banks, Rutherford, Hackett and Collins in full flight, a force to be reckoned with. The intricate time signatures are astonishing, a mixture of jazz fusion and complex melodies. I love the way the drums are off beat, not quite in time with the signature, but the off kilter metrical pattern is consistently off the beat and it works so well. The lyrics are quite amusing nonsense, and the time sig is chaotic in a passage of proggy delight, "On your left and on your right, Crosses are green and crosses are blue, Your friends didn't make it through. Out of the night and out of the dark, Into the fire and into the fight, Well that's the way the heroes go, Ho! Ho! Ho!" There is a chilling self prophecy towards the end with the estranged vocals "Let the dance begin", and we all know the "We Can't Dance" album and how that shaped their music for the worst, becoming commercial and radio friendly. In any case this opening track is brilliant Genesis and a killer to present the new Genesis. Hackett's guitar riffs are infectious and unforgettable on this track. This is the best track on the album, a tour de force of proggy rhythms and virtuoso musicianship.

Entangled has an excellent Hackett 12 string intro and the soft vocals of Collins accompanying. The track is essentially a folk ballad, the type that would grace every Genesis album from here on with Collins at the helm. The lyrics are all about a patient who dreams disturbing things, there is no slipperman or fox here, just a simple melodic balladic form, "Madrigal music is playing, Voices can faintly be heard, "Please leave this patient undisturbed." Sentenced to drift far away now, Nothing is quite what it seems, Sometimes entangled in your own dreams." . The harmonies are quite nice, and even pastoral at times, especially some of those swells on the keyboards that add an ethereal quality. The end synth break is a highlight, showcasing Banks inimitable flair.

Squonk has a solid steady rhythm with very familiar lyrical style, the nursery rhyme or is that cryme style, "All the King's horses and all the King's men, Could never put a smile on that face." The lyrics are very fairy tale in style, "He's a sly one, he's a shy one, Wouldn't you be too. Scared to be left all on his own. Hasn't a, hasn't a friend to play with, the Ugly Duckling, The pressure on, the bubble will burst before our eyes." The story is all about the furry little squonk and it makes references to all sort of chidren's literature such as 'Snow White'; "Mirror mirror on the wall, His heart was broken long before he ever came to you..." So Genesis were still maintaining the thematic content of past albums that was centred on fairy tales and nonsense rhymes which is nice to see. The lyrics that refers to the 'Trick of the tail' is here too, "Now listen here, listen to me, don't you run away now, I am a friend, I'd really like to play with you. Making noises my little furry friend would make, I'll trick him, then I'll kick him into my sack. You better watch out... You better watch out." A great song that is quite popular among Genesis freaks.

Mad Man Moon begins with a dreamy flute sound and very soft piano. Collins gently sings in a melancholy way while the mellotron plays underneath, "Was it summer when the river ran dry, Or was it just another dam. When the evil of a snowflake in June, Could still be a source of relief. O how I love you, I once cried long ago, But I was the one who decided to go. To search beyond the final crest, Though I'd heard it said just birds could dwell so high." This is a very pastoral song which changes feel at 2:45 with a piano interlude, played to perfection by Banks. This is a quiet sleeper track.

Robbery, Assault and Battery has some of the more character driven lyrics we have become used to from Gabriel, but this time Collins plays the very English characters, "Slipping between them he ought to have seen then, The eyes and their owner so near. With torch shining bright he strode on in the night, Till he came to the room with the safe." Collins uses a tough cockney accent on the next sections, "Hello son, I hope you're having fun." "You've got it wrong Sir, I'm only the cleaner." With that he fired, the other saying as he died, "You've done me wrong," it's the same old song forever." The chorus is memorable, melodic and easy to sing along to in a live performance, "Robbery, assault and battery, The felon and his felony..." There are some compelling time sig changes and Banks is allowed to shine with his scintillating keyboard lead breaks. The section at 3:20 is great sounding like the type of style on "Foxtrot". The cathedral grinding pipe organ sound at 4:30 is majestic and powerful. The verses return, the storyteller vocals sing, "I've got clean away but I'll be back some day, Just the combination will have changed. Some day they'll catch me, to a chain they'll attach me, Until that day I'll ride the old crime wave. If they try to hold me for trial, I'll stay out of jail by paying my bail, And after I'll go to the court of appeal saying, "You've done me wrong," it's the same old song forever." This line repeats until the song ends. I like the style of this old school Genesis track.

The last three tracks are featured many times in live performances as a trilogy and indeed on compilations. I had heard them many times but on this album they made a perfect ending to the album. Ripples begins immediately with trademark 12 string Hackett brilliance. The melody is very strong and memorable, one of the best of Collins quieter moments with the band. There is an uplifting chorus that soars, "Sail away, away, Ripples never come back. They've gone to the other side. Look into the pool, Ripples never come back, Dive to the bottom and go to the top, To see where they have gone. Oh, they've gone to the other side..." I like the instrumental break with violin style guitar and very well executed piano flourishes and an extended passage of synth. A fan favourite and performed live it is a gem.

A Trick of the Tail is a bit of a transition between two treasures. The lyrics are a real feature telling the bizarre tale of a beast. "And wept as they led him away to a cage, Beast that can talk, read the sign. The creatures they pushed and they prodded his frame, And questioned his story again. But soon they grew bored of their prey, Beast that can talk? More like a freak or publicity stunt..." The melody is whimsical matching the Beowulf style lyrics. I always liked this as it is so different than anything else on the album, and a lot of fun, not taking itself seriously. I can understand why many feel this to e a low point on the album but it resonates with me, especially the infectious chorus, "They've got no horns and they've got no tail, They don't even know of our existence. Am I wrong to believe in a city of gold, That lies in the deep distance, he cried and wept." The quest for the beast is humorous but it is intriguing, and streets ahead of any of those love ballads that were soon to permeate the genesis catalogue in the dreadful 80s.

Los Endos is a true classic that has ended many Genesis concerts, full of incredible instrumentation and shades of light and dark textures. The drums, the tom toms are frenetic and driving, the guitar is riffing eloquent, and the bass is a key rhythm powerhouse. It settles into the familiar 6 chord keyboard pads that all Genesis fans know. Banks is absolutely stunning on this instrumental. At 4 minutes in there is a choral section and gradually building keyboard motif, until there is a type of reprise of album tracks, you can determine the various melodies. Collins even subliminally has a few lines of singing, "There's an angel standing in the sun, Free to get back home." . Then it fades into the distance. This was the perfect way to end an excellent album, with the band demonstrating their uncompromising musical genius.

Overall, "A Trick of the Tail" is a wonderful beginning to the new lineup without Gabriel, proving the band can do incredible things even without their frontman, flutist. The songs will grow on you after a while and some have become part of Genesis folklore now, especially the last three tracks and the opening track. This progressive excellence was not to last unfortunately. There were three more solid albums with prog elements until 1981 when the band sold out to mainstream commercial radio snapping their prog apron strings once and for all and effectively destroying the trademark sound to become marketable to a mainstream target audience; adoring females. The music on this album is well accomplished and many guitarists love to emulate the work of Hackett on this and keyboardists can revel in the talents of Banks. This is a very pleasurable album with much to recommend it; one of the best from 1976. I was not going to go as far as to call it a masterpiece on first listen, but it really grew on me and I get the chills when I hear some of that work from Hackett, and Collins is at his best here, therefore it is perhaps the best work Genesis did sans Gabriel, and that is worthy of 5 stars without question.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 18:20
mike hewetson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 03:20
fantastic review here! enjoyed looking through it,.....most definately my favourite line-up ....with bruford on drums, it made all the difference!.....also, you"ll find a very good audio recording of genesis live at hammersmith 1976, on wolgangs vault....if anyone is interested? this concert has the best quality audio i have heard from the 76" tour.
mike hewetson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 04:36
Originally posted by mike hewetson mike hewetson wrote:

fantastic review here! enjoyed looking through it,.....most definately my favourite line-up ....with bruford on drums, it made all the difference!.....also, you"ll find a very good audio recording of genesis live at hammersmith 1976, on wolgangs vault....if anyone is interested? this concert has the best quality audio i have heard from the 76" tour.
Hey, thank you so much! I spent quite some time on this thread over the years and it has been a while but glad to be back onto it at last. I will look that Genesis live performance up too.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 08:27
I've had that album on vinyl, bought a CD, bought the "definitive" remaster, and then they came out with the version with the DVD that has a concert, and I got that.  Needless to say it's one of the many albums I have loved.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 18:05
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've had that album on vinyl, bought a CD, bought the "definitive" remaster, and then they came out with the version with the DVD that has a concert, and I got that.  Needless to say it's one of the many albums I have loved.
I would love to get that DVD version there myself. Glad you loved  it, as it has to be one of the best for 1976.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 08:00
Now for a change - here are the absolute best Genesis Youtube clips at the moment:

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - October 07 2011 at 08:08
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 10:23
I love this blog Thumbs Up.......I love pretty much everything about Genesis.......my alltime #2 band (behind Rush, of course). Every album is magical........It is almost imperitive that you appreciate the "old" Genesis before experiencing the "new" Genesis. A Trick Of the Tail is a brilliant album for sure......Entangled is one of my favorite Genesis songs from that era.
Thanks Scott for this blog
Clap x 100
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I love this blog Thumbs Up.......I love pretty much everything about Genesis.......my alltime #2 band (behind Rush, of course). Every album is magical........It is almost imperitive that you appreciate the "old" Genesis before experiencing the "new" Genesis. A Trick Of the Tail is a brilliant album for sure......Entangled is one of my favorite Genesis songs from that era.
Clap x 100
Thanks for encouraging words my friend.
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 15:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Clap x 100

Rush is my favorite band and Genesis is second for me too. Odd coincidence 

MY IDOLS
criticdrummer94 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2011 at 15:39
Great blog, I hope you talk about Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out. W&W is one of my favorites and is just as good as say Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme. Seconds Out is unquestionably their best live album. The 4-man line-up is my favorite of Genesis and made me a fan. 

MY IDOLS
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 04:51
^^^ Thanks for those words. Rush is my favourite band too. Isn't that weird? Genesis is in my next 5 favourite bands, but not sure where, along with King Crimson, VDGG, Dream Theater and Yes. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 04:52
Originally posted by criticdrummer94 criticdrummer94 wrote:

Great blog, I hope you talk about Wind & Wuthering and Seconds Out. W&W is one of my favorites and is just as good as say Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme. Seconds Out is unquestionably their best live album. The 4-man line-up is my favorite of Genesis and made me a fan. 

Yes, I have to get onto that. I love Seconds Out, and Wind and Wuthering may be their last great classic, apart from Duke.Star
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 09:00
Being that they are my #2......probably in my top 5 albums is Genesis. Those first 4 songs are pretty darn good, as well as the comedic Illegal Alien. I mean we give props to Zappa's comedic talent why not Genesis, and both were with a "pop" flavor.......but you will never find me throwing that out as a "they sold out" arguement.
progistoomainstream View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2011 at 20:06
This is incredibly comprehensive
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2011 at 01:45

Winding Their Way To One More Classic Studio Release

After a successful tour of “A Trick of the Tail” Genesis was back in the studios at Relight Studios/Hilvarenbeek, NL between September and October of 1976. They were embarking  on the next studio release that would stamp its authority as one of the alltime greatest prog albums for 1976.

It would be a different approach, a more melancholy, gentler sound with softer mellotron and in fact more keyboards than previous albums. It has become a symphonic classic as a result and many reviewers complained that Hackett was not used appropriately, although his presence is definitely there.

“Wind & Wuthering” is the eighth studio album by Genesis, originally released in December 1976. It reached number 7 in the UK and stayed on the charts for 22 weeks. In the US, "Your Own Special Way" became the band's first charting single with Collins as lead vocalist, reaching a maximum of 62, and the album itself reached 26 on the US charts.

The title of the album is an allusion to Emily Bronte’s “Wuthering Heights”. The actual word ‘Wind’ comes from "The House of the Four Winds" which was a Chinese restaurant in Manhattan. Hackett gave the album its title and it was used in the bridge of "Eleventh Earl of Mar". This track refers to John Erskine, an historical figure, the “Florentine Pogen” 11th Earl of Mar by one reckoning.

The word "Wuthering" refers to Bronte’s novel as does some of the song titles particularly the instrumental tracks 7 and 8, specifically quoted in the last paragraph of the novel; "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

“Wot Gorilla?" is a reference to touring drummer Chester Thompson having been mentioned in "Florentine Pogen", a track on Frank Zappa's 1975 album “One Size Fits All”. It is perhaps one of the filler tracks as far as some critics are concerned and yet is as good as they get with very powerful melodies and virtuoso musicianship.

"Afterglow" was composed by Banks, who described it as a spontaneous piece written in about the same amount of time as it takes to play it, and consequently [it] has a spirit about it that comes from being less contrived. [Chapter & Verse, p. 177].This cynical comment is typical of the tensions felt in the band at the time. In 1975 Hackett completed his first solo album “Voyage of the Acolyte” which was successful and had the blessing of two of the members who actually appeared on the album, namely Mike Rutherford on bass guitar, bass pedals, Fuzz 12-String, and Phil Collins on drums, vibes, percussion, and vocals. 

Steve Hackett Voyage of the Acolyte Album Cover

Line-up / Musicians

- Steve Hackett / electric & acoustic guitar, Mellotron, harmonium, bells, autoharp, vocal, effects 
- John Hackett / flute, Arp synthetizer, bells 
- Mike Rutherford / bass guitar, bass pedals, Fuzz 12-String 
- Phil Collins / drums, vibes, percussion, vocals 
- John Acock / Elka, Rhapsody, Mellotron, harmonium, piano 
- Sally Oldfield / vocal 
- Robin Miller / oboe, cor Anglais 
- Nigel Warren-Green / solo cello 
- Percy Jones / extra bass on "Tower" 
- Johnny Gustafson / bass on "Star" 
- Steve Tobin / parrot and cough

Banks further went on to state that “Afterglow” resembles "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and in spite of these in house criticisms it became a live favourite on Genesis tours for over 10 years right up to the 1987 Invisible Touch Tour. It even appeared on the more recent 2007 Turn It On Again: The Tour in a medley featuring "In The Cage", "The Cinema Show", and "Duke's Travels." There were various uses of unusual instruments to create the symphonic sounds generated, for example a Moog Taurus bass pedal was used on “Afterglow” creating  a droning effect that is heard throughout the song, thus a soundscape of ambience is felt.

In the case of “Wot Gorilla?” it was originally going to be replaced with Hackett’s "Please Don't Touch" but apparently due to internal problems, this was rejected in favour of “Wot Gorilla?” The rejection of Hackett’s song further cemented his decision to leave indefinitely.

The album gave each member a chance to write at least one song, and Rutherford came up with the poppiest song, and perhaps a genuine precursor to the pop radio friendly sound that would come in the ensuing years. "Your Own Special Way" was a Rutherford composition and far removed from the rest of the album as a mainstream radio hit. Steve disliked this approach preferring a more progressive, jazz influenced sound, a sound he would inject into his solo career, and he threatened to leave. Banks all but took over the album and even in the mixing Hackett was invisible at times. Hackett was asked in an interview: What were the primary reasons for your departure from Genesis?

Hackett: “It came to a point where I simply couldn’t handle playing “I know what I like in Your Wardrobe” any longer.  I also didn’t feel enough of my writing and playing was being included into the music. 

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/musicians-corner/interview-with-former-genesis-guitarist-steve-hackett-1

When Peter Gabriel was still in the band, Banks created most of the musical ideas and Gabriel generated the lyrics of most tracks; a driving force of the band was always the musicianship and lyrical ideas. Hackett and Banks arranged the songs as a majority and thus the Genesis sound was created. To take Hackett out of the creative process is to sap dry the progressive edge already removed in some ways with Gabriel’s departure. Once Gabriel departed all the members desired to be composers, and banks was all for it because he knew he was a step ahead of all the others especially with his “Voyage of the Acolyte”. Solo albums always seemed to cause dissension in the ranks of artists in bands and Genesis was no exception. Hackett had become quite vocal about his feelings toward the new musical approach, no longer the silent member, and he was even a strong competition for Banks. Banks made his intent clear by refusing to appear on Hackett’s album, as he said in an interview that he believed making solo albums was not healthy for Genesis, though he remained silent when Collins and Rutherford did likewise in years to come. Even the videos produced for the songs reveal tension with Banks, Collins and Rutherford appearing to be three great friends but Hackett looks disenfranchised and aloof in comparison.

Banks has said in an interview his feelings were similar in embarking on a solo project:

Banks: “Well, the first time I ever thought about doing a solo project was after Peter [Gabriel] left the band around “Trick of the Tail”. Then I thought, if Genesis is going to carry on, we really need to put all of the best ideas into that next album.”

http://www.worldofgenesis.com/TonyBanks-Interview2009.htm

During the making of “Wind and Wuthering” in 1976 Genesis was undergoing its most significant change in both personnel and musical direction. The band was changing and it was drawing nigh to the 80s when music itself underwent a massive transformation. Punk rock in 1977 was a massive disruption to the music industry and prog was on the way out as a dominant form. All these factors contributed to the band becoming a trio in the ensuing years in their most difficult era.

Some interesting comments I have read from proggers on the ProgArchives are enlightening:

Refugee:
"The vine" sounds very much like "divine". Try it out in the lines:

He walked into a valley,
all alone.
There he talked with water,
and then with the vine/divine.

Isn’t it much like Jesus’ prayer in Gethsemane? That again may mean that he’s about to be sacrificed – which he indeed is in a way.

7headedchicken:

I always heard "Afterglow" as being about giving yourself up to God.  Maybe with those two songs there is a connecting theme, but I'm having trouble applying "All In a Mouse's Night" and "Blood On the Rooftops" to that theme, except maybe the line "seems Helen of Troy has found a new face again" from "Blood On the Rooftops" could be parallel to the part in "One For the Vine" where the leader sees another figure in the crowd "vanish into air" to pursue his same path.

Mwood:

I looked up the lyrics to "Florentine Pogen", and sure enough, it contains this bit:

Chester's go-rilla
She go oink
Chester's go-rilla
She go quack
Chester's go-rilla
She go moo
Chester's go-rilla
She go

Ivan_Melgar_M:

About One for the Vine, I always thought it could be the conclusion of THE KNIFE. In the song from Trespass, the leader offers freedom in exchange for sacrifice, in "One for the Vine", some followers are disenchanted of promises and violence.

What I can't understand is why they made a song about John Erskine 22th or 11th Earl of Mar),  the most incompetent characters of the 15 Jacobite Rising.

twosteves:

I think one of the greatest prog tragedies is the hate Banks has for Hackett---to the degree they never worked together again---they were the perfect prog keys and guitar combo in Genesis and made amazing music. I mean after Phil left the pop group---the ego involved to think they could carry on with CAS---they could have gotten Hackett back and made some real prog knowing they had nothing to prove anymore---but Banks just loves to exclude Hackett.

Snow Dog:

The problem was the band didn't want anyone issuing solo albums until the future of Genesis was secure. That's why Collins album came out at the time of Duke. It was allowed then. I f Steve had been patient he could have stayed in Genesis and released solo albums.

Tracks on the album

Side one

1.    "Eleventh Earl of Mar" (music: Tony Banks, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford / lyrics: Rutherford) – 7:39

2.    "One for the Vine" (Banks) – 9:59

3.    "Your Own Special Way" (Rutherford) – 6:15

4.    "Wot Gorilla?" (Banks, Phil Collins) – 3:12

Side two

1.    "All in a Mouse's Night" (Banks) – 6:35

2.    "Blood on the Rooftops" (music: Hackett, Collins / lyrics: Hackett) – 5:20

3.    "Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers…" (Hackett, Rutherford) – 2:23

4.    "…In That Quiet Earth" (Hackett, Rutherford, Banks, Collins) – 4:50

5.    "Afterglow" (Banks) – 4:10

The single was "Your Own Special Way", released February 1977. The B side was “It’s Yourself” (Collins/Hackett/Rutherford/Banks).

A single called “Spot the Pigeon” was released on 20 May 1977. Tracks are as follows:

"Match of the Day"  

Rutherford, Banks, Collins

3:30

"Pigeons"  

Rutherford, Banks, Collins

3:16

"Inside and Out"  

Hackett, Rutherford, Banks, Collins

6:48

Genesis Spot the pigeon album cover

The musicians:

- Tony Banks / Steinway Grand Piano, ARP 2600 and Pro-Soloist synths, Hammond organ, mellotron 
Roland String synth, Rhodes

- Phil Collins / drums, percussion, lead vocals

- Steve Hackett / electric guitar, nylon classical guitar, 12 string guitar, kalimba, auto-harp

- Mike Rutherford / 4, 6, 8, string bass, bass pedals, 12 String Guitar, Electric Guitar

Album production:

§  Produced By David Hentschel & Genesis

§  Recorded & Engineered By David Hentschel

§  Assistant Engineers: Pierre Geoffroy Chateau, Nick Bradford

****My Review:

“Wind and Wuthering” ended 1976 on a high note for prog and indeed for Genesis who had already found success with their masterful “A Trick of the Tail”. Just in time for Christmas, their latest album features some of their best material sans Gabriel. Each member of the band is in fine form and “Wind and Wuthering” is firmly entrenched as one of the favourites for the band members themselves. Tony Banks stated that it is among his two favourite Genesis albums, and Steve Hackett is also "very fond" of it and rightfully so as it features some of his most accomplished guitar work. Every song soars along on symphonic layers of keyboards and Phil Collins is excellent on vocals and drums. Mike Rutherford’s bass is a wonderful embellishment and the rhythms are complex and outstanding.

Here are the tracks, each one tells a story, and each have a soft spot in the hearts of Genesis fans wordwide.

'Eleventh Earl Of Mar' kicks off proceedings with a title that is dedicated to a metaphoric description of an old Scottish uprising. The song focuses on the true tale of John Erskine 22nd or 11th Earl of Mar, who is one of the most incompetent characters of the 15 Jacobite Rising. It is dominated by Tony Banks keyboard wizardry as is most of the album. The music is incredible and as good as the band gets, every member is in full flight but in particular Banks is having a field day overshadowing even Hackett who is usually in the limelight. Hackett is terrific on this album but it is really the last time he would record with the full band unfortunately, embarking on a solo career that was very successful and continues to be so. The lyrics are typical of Genesis, double entndres, quaint pop culture references, and quirky British humour abound;The sun had been up for a couple of hours, Covered the ground with a layer of gold. Spirits were high and the raining had stopped,
The larder was low, But boy that wasn't all. Eleventh Earl of Mar, Couldn't get them very far. Daddy! Oh Daddy, You Promised.” Collins is in fine voice, confident and dominating, though he overuses the cymbal splashes on this track. The mellotron is an everpresent force and Rutherford shines on bass. The track features an abundance of
synth riffs that remind one of the glorious 80s synth explosion. The melody is deconstructed with time breaks, signature shifts and solo performances. The middle section is tremendous with sweet melodic tones and Collins gentle approach. This is certainly one of the highlights of the album and very much like ‘The Battle of Epping Forest’ in many ways, in both theme and structure.

‘One for the Vine’ continues the excellent soundscapes with one of the greatest Genesis tracks with a mellotron drone and blasts of wild percussion competing with Hackett’s sweeping riffs. The opening riff is sensational and well recognised by Genesis fans. The lyrics are inspired and as good as anything I have heard in the earlier releases; “Fifty thousand men were sent to do the will of one. His claim was phrased quite simply, though he never voiced it loud, I am he, the chosen one.” The protagonist  is called to serve as the chosen one, and immediately the majestic music echoes the sentiments of the one who will lead. It is regal and uplifting with some dark tones representing the conflict he feels within as he is forced to make the difficult choice. “In his name they could slaughter, for his name they could die. Though many there were believed in him, still more were sure he lied, But they'll fight the battle on.” The leader knows that many will die under his leadership but nevertheless must lead in order to instigate freedom. This may also represent the holy wars as told in The Bible, following the same themes as in other Genesis albums especially “From Genesis to Revelation”. It switches time sigs dramatically after the serenity of the symphonic musicianship. The tempo quickens and a wonderful synthesizer kicks into gear. A layered wall of sound pulsates along a dynamic percussive beat. Collins returns on vocals as the new time shift locks in. It is a complex track with many diversions. It is perhaps the best track on the album with a lot of progressive touches and an innovative structure, telling a potent story of maturity. The main protagonist is experiencing the changes of adolescence to adulthood as a reluctant leader forced into going in directions without choice that lead him to an eventual demise. Religious overtones abound, and there are multiple interpretations. The protagonist is on the verge of crossing the line between divine inspiration and delusion. He has many people around him who believe in him to the point that leads him to an ultimate decision to take up leadership with both reigns firmly in hand. It takes quite a deal of soul searching before he finally decides to fulfil his purpose instead of doing things his own way. As he takes on the responsibility to leading he crosses into adulthood. “This is he, God's chosen one, Who's come to save us from, All our oppressors. We shall be kings on this world.”

‘Your Own Special Way’ is certainly a poppier approach but has some very nice melodies and a catchy hook in the chorus. Collins is harmonised a few times on layered vocals and I particularly like the uplifting tones. The keys are terrific, but I wonder where Hackett is hiding on this.

‘Wot Gorilla’ is an instrumental that may feel like filler material but it is very well executed with some delightful atmospherics including a strange gliterring chime lending an ethereal feel. "Wot Gorilla?" may be a reference to touring drummer Chester Thompson, who had been mentioned in "Florentine Pogen", which is a track on Frank Zappa's ”One Size Fits All” album in 1975.

‘All In A Mouse’s Night’is an intriguing piece where a mouse speaks to a loving couple, Cinderella style. The lyrics are charming with a few dark nuances thrown in . Loving Couple:

The loving couple begins with talking to each other and the mouse chips in, which may or may not be imaginary; “I can't see you but I know you're there. Got to get beside you cos it's really cold out here. Come up close to me you'll soon be warm. Hold me tightly like we're sheltering from a storm.” The mouse then has some amusing dialogue to itself and we may surmise that it is on the head of the lovers who are experiencing detachment from reality; “Think I might go out for a stroll, Into the night, and out of this hole. Maybe find me a meal. Walking along this new shag pile, Presents a problem all the while. Nearly the door.”

The song continues with its quirky jaunty rhythms telling the tale of the mouse’s adventures; “Suddenly he bumps into wood, the door is closed. A voice from the bed, he'll be exposed. Which way to run, must make for the hole, The light's been turned on, he's blind as a mole in coal.”

Perhaps the mouse is a metaphorical representation of sexual suppression that the lovers are feeling. In fact a cat comes into the story and chases the mouse to its final fate; “But now the cat comes in for the kill, His paw is raised, soon blood will spill, yes it will.” The cat has a cynical line of dialogue that further cements the sexual tension in the lives of the lovers. They are experiencing conflict that is represented by the cat and the mouse scenario; “Hard luck mouse, this is the end of your road. The signpost says inside me, let me bear your heavy load. But it's not to be, that final pounce, Knocks a jar upon his head, and lays him out.” In any case it is a fun song harkening back to the classic Genesis material on “Foxtrot” or “Selling England By The Pound”.

Other interpretations are that the mouse represents mental health and the protagonist loses it completely when the cat is devoured by the ten foot mouse. Also this could be a dig at the Looney Tunes cartoon where Sylvester is taunted by a ‘ten foot mouthsh’ and it is actually a baby kangaroo but Junior thinks it’s a real mouse and forces his father to fight it to no avail. A darker interpretation is that the loving couple discovered a mouse costume stored in an old casket in the basement. The male donned the costume in order to scare his female lover but it backfires as she has become a cat in costume also and “it only took one blow”, she performs oral sex thus finishing in the superior position of the relationship. Or did she kill her lover accidentally thinking he was a lunatic trying to kill her. Or did the man in mouse costume see a cat on his way upstairs and whack the cat dead. The song is nevertheless about the chase, submission and sexual tension, disguised in a cute tale, and is one of the great tracks on the album.

‘Blood on the Rooftops’ begins with a medieval style acoustic flourish, a piece de resistance for Hackett.

The lyrics are very strong: “Let's skip the news boy (I'll make some tea), The Arabs and the Jews boy (too much for me), They get me confused boy (puts me off to sleep), And the thing I hate - Oh Lord! Is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate.”

The television is becoming a hypnotic device desensitizing the protagonist who is becoming lost in the fantasy of it all. A dramatis personae of his alter ego is the fantasy of escapist TV, and he indulges because his life is so empty. “Hypnotised by Batman, Tarzan, still surprised! You've won the West in time to be our guest, Name your prize! Drop of wine, a glass of beer dear what's the time? The grime on the Tyne is mine all mine all mine, Five past nine.” The lyrics are reminiscent of the Gabriel era and indeed Collins sounds similar in this vocal style. The references to pop culture are as strong as Genesis gets and are as blatant, but there are darker meaning beyond the surface particularly in the chorus that speaks of violence and despair, war and destruction, blood and decay: “Blood on the rooftops, Venice in the Spring, Streets of San Francisco - a word from Peking, The trouble was started by a young Errol Flynn, Better in my day  Oh Lord! For when we got bored, we'd have a world war, happy but poor.” There are touches of references to “Nursery Cryme” in the lyrics “When old Mother Goose stops they're out for 23, Then the rain at Lords stopped play.” The reference reminds one of the nusery rhyme lyrics and front ocver of the classic album, and the words are referring to a cricket match where the batter manages 23 runs before being stumped.

The album concludes with two masterful instrumental compositions that run together seamlessly and these are capped off with Afterglow, a fond song for the band. The instrumentals, ‘Unquiet Slumbers For The Sleepers’ and ‘In That Quiet Earth’, are decent enough to be taken in one sitting as one piece and certainly are a showcase for Banks’ killer keyboard finesse. They are pleasant ear ticklers with enough keyboard to satiate any mellotron addict, but I would have liked a more dramatic conclusion.

The titles of these instrumentals are taken directly from Emily Bronte’s ‘Wuthering Heights’ novel: "I lingered round them, under that benign sky; watched the moths fluttering among the heath, and hare-bells; listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass; and wondered how anyone could ever imagine unquiet slumbers, for the sleepers in that quiet earth".

To conclude this may be the last great Genesis studio album and it capped off an excellent year for the band that had also presented “A Trick of the Tail” equally as good. It would be the last time Hackett would produce Genesis studio material but it was not the end for the band despite the massive upheaval of personnel.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - March 13 2014 at 18:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>