FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAriel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today
    Posted: June 09 2010 at 02:14

I just got a copy of Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Before Today. I have been listening to Ariel Pink for a while now and consider his album The Doldrums to be a great album. In his new effort he loses the "lo-fi" sound of his other albums and actually has an album that sounds like it was mixed and mastered by a professional. Anyway, I really like the single Round and Round and upon listening to the album as a whole I feel like it will rapidly grow on me within a few more listens. If anyone is looking for an interesting pop album Before Today is worth a listen. Has anyone else checked out this album or Ariel Pink in general? Who knows, maybe we could turn this thread into a LO-FI appreciation thread.

Edited by MusicForSpeedin - June 09 2010 at 14:52
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 02:53
There's a lot of buzz about this one- hate that cover art though- but the one they're really talking about now is Treats by Sleigh Bells. Anyone heard that?
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2010 at 13:01
The cover art is a little stupid so I opted for the man-dog makeout. I have heard some stuff by Sleigh Bells and I wasn't really impressed. For being as popular as they are and only having one LP is pretty impressive, but I feel like there are a lot of other new noise/pop acts that deserve much more attention. They sort of sound like the vivian girls doing hip-hop influenced lo-fi.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 11:20
That is some of the worst cover art I've ever seen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 12:52
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

That is some of the worst cover art I've ever seen.
Thoughts on the music?
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 21:33
A good friend of mine has been a Ariel Pink fan for some time, and at times tried to lure me in, but their style of lo-fi has struck me down. From memory the '07 album just under 'Ariel Pink' was my favourite out of the batch.

I do like myself a good lo-fi disc tho'.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 14:58
Originally posted by Apsalar Apsalar wrote:

A good friend of mine has been a Ariel Pink fan for some time, and at times tried to lure me in, but their style of lo-fi has struck me down. From memory the '07 album just under 'Ariel Pink' was my favourite out of the batch.

I do like myself a good lo-fi disc tho'.  
You should try out the new album. It no longer has that lo-fi sound like albums such as The Doldrums and Worn Copy, but the new album is really great and still retains that sort of "old" sound.
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 00:46
Gave it a few spins and it's not doing much for me to be honest, very so-so, though Bright Lit Blue Skies and Butt House Blondies are good songs and Menopausal Man is "intriguing". Reminds me of Super Furry Animals in places though nowhere near as charismatic. There's a great sort of proggy moment at the end of L'estat where the big cheesy keys come in though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2010 at 02:12
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Gave it a few spins and it's not doing much for me to be honest, very so-so, though Bright Lit Blue Skies and Butt House Blondies are good songs and Menopausal Man is "intriguing". Reminds me of Super Furry Animals in places though nowhere near as charismatic. There's a great sort of proggy moment at the end of L'estat where the big cheesy keys come in though.
It has been in my car non stop. The only song I could do without is Revolution is a lie, but every other song has gotten stuck in my head some time or other during this week. The melodies are catchy yet complex, like the little synth/keyboard line at the end of Beverly Kills. Have you heard the latest Gary War album Horribles Parade? He is really taking the lo-fi scene to an interesting place that is sort of like Ariel Pink and Blank Dogs meet Popul Vuh or something like that.

Post Reply Post Reply