FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed10 best prog bands with stage presence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 01:41
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

Prog bands, especially ELP and Genesis, really invented what became the arena rock concert experience, through a combination of effects and performance.

Pink Floyd all stand perfectly still and let the lights do the "show". Ian Anderson could be alone on stage with no effects or props and entertain the hell out of everybody.

Rush is very fun - Alex Lifeson has a wicked sense of humor, you can tell that Geddy can barely keep a straight face - must be a very fun guy to be in a band with!

Most newer prog bands have zero sense of showmanship. It can probably be blamed that bands don't have the budgets they used to, but there are few performers now who know how to own the stage and command an audience like the old masters. But that's also probably because touring is an impossibility for most bands now, so when they do get up on stage at a festival finally, they must be terrified...
Mostly true. Muse though deserve a nod mainly because of Mathew Bellamy. I've seen them live twice and Matt certainly knows how to work an audience.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 03:11
New bands have zero sense of showmanship? Well, you've got to be seeing the wrong bands. LOL Muse are good on stage, indeed, from the major acts, but there are smaller bands that are simply incredible. I can hardly think of something that compares to Tortoise, for example. They do an amazing show a la Gentle Giant + punk. Or The Mars Volta. Or Jaga Jazzist, when I felt that that hall will fall on us when the chick with the tuba started shaking the scene. Imagine nine guys on a stage, exchanging instruments! Battles are insane, too.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 03:27
1 Rush

2 Dream Theater

3 Peter Gabriel

4 Riverside

5 Genesis

6 King CRimson

7 Neal Morse

8 Porcupine Tree

9 Marillion (Fish)

10 Queen (Mercury)

worst - Kraftwerk - I love the show but the members are as stagnant as cardboard cutouts, or robots - maybe they are. 

Metal - Kiss were best and Alice Cooper. Saw them many times and incredible everytime
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 03:27
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

New bands have zero sense of showmanship? Well, you've got to be seeing the wrong bands. LOL Muse are good on stage, indeed, from the major acts, but there are smaller bands that are simply incredible. I can hardly think of something that compares to Tortoise, for example. They do an amazing show a la Gentle Giant + punk. Or The Mars Volta. Or Jaga Jazzist, when I felt that that hall will fall on us when the chick with the tuba started shaking the scene. Imagine nine guys on a stage, exchanging instruments! Battles are insane, too.

And it just so happens that Tortoise is coming to play in NYC, but on the only day this month I can't go to a show! Angry

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 03:30
^ That's awful, Tortoise offered what proved to be the best price/quality ratio for me since I'm going to concerts! Their tickets are cheap and they put a hell of a show. Disapprove
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12