Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's with all the Anata hate?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's with all the Anata hate?

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 730
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's with all the Anata hate?
    Posted: June 10 2010 at 21:59
seriously, two stars for every single album?  with only 4 ratings, the albums go down into the twos?  Man, I have to disagree with the reviews here....  Thumbs Down
Back to Top
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avatar
Forum Moderator

Joined: April 05 2006
Location: Utopia
Status: Offline
Points: 13949
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2010 at 22:23
I was expecting a band with a lot of haters when I saw the topic title, rather than meaning two reviewers' reviews.

I'd never heard of the band Anata, but I see that Umur and Toroddfuglesteg are the only ones to have reviewed their albums.  2 stars is not really bad, it's less than good, but I wouldn't think those reviewers are feeling The Infernal Depths Of Hatred for Anata based on the reviews (or hate, even).

Maybe you should write some reviews yourself.  Your ratings for the band's albums range from 3 stars to 5 stars, and at least there's only star difference between your rating for The Infernal Depths of Hatred and their ratings with reviews.  I do find it surprising that they both had consistent 2 star ratings right across the albums -- haven't noticed that happen before with a  band.


Edited by Logan - June 10 2010 at 22:33
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
Back to Top
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 730
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 07:55
yeah, I suppose it could have been much worse.  I was astounded to find all the albums to have two stars.  With that in mind, there is no possible way that all of the albums are really that bad- every single one of them!?!   Perhaps I should review them myself.  I have been guilty of not using time to actually write reviews, and merely leaving star ratings.  However, I do think Anata deserve accolades for their last three albums.  They have their own flavor in a genre which is rather stale if you ask me.  I don't find it to their detriment that they switch it up tempo-wise and move around a lot.  You know them when you hear them, and that is the point I am trying to make.  But people have their own opinions, so I am not mad or anything, just wowed...
They have a certain freewheeling and derailed train sound that is chaotic and enjoyable for me; most death metal bands follow the same old formula; in this case, Anata truly could be called "thinking man's metal".... they even have some interesting lyrical concepts.  I urge all lovers of tech/extreme prog metal to give them a listen....Smile
Back to Top
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
Retired

Joined: March 04 2008
Location: Retirement Home
Status: Offline
Points: 3658
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 13:50

An interview with Anata is coming up, btw.

My rating of Anata is simply due to the small issue that I have simply changed my musical preferences during the last ten years. Less Anata, more Soft Machine. Neither do I find Anata as exciting as I did ten years ago when I gave their first albums four and five stars.

But I would still recommend Anata to all metalheads. In this respect, I agree with your views. 



Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 11 2010 at 13:56
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Status: Offline
Points: 27991
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 14:31
I'm going to say I just have to hate them because I've never listened to anything and don't know who the hell they are.  I am of course all knowing and all listening and so they must be really really bad even though I've never heard them.
Back to Top
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors and Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Status: Offline
Points: 3958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 15:39

Even I respect other's opinion in reviews, having all four albums with average of 2.2 ratings, that's not good and almost everyone will turn away without interesting in this band when seeing this. Why to go for 2.2 album, when there is far more of 4.2 albums to taste :-/

Where are fanboys, when one needs them ? They usually counterweights more "professional" opinion of Prog Reviewers who are used to review (left column).

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"
   -Andyman1125 on Lulu



Even my cat believes that :-)
Back to Top
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 06 2004
Location: France
Status: Offline
Points: 8039
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 16:15
I doubt prog fans would be intereted in a rather uninspired death metal band.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Back to Top
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors and Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Status: Offline
Points: 3958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 16:52

^ Even in thread about Anata, I'm not talking just about Anata. In general, this is huge issue that not everyone realizes. Look on this Pineapple Thief new album. It was in top5 briefly, on first place I think. Just for few days, but it was there. This is because fanboys worked here, gave it good reviews. Than came regular, old school reviewers and gave it rather sober ratings.

Regulars and fanboys are both important, because they make fine average. Otherwise, when album is reviewed just by those whom I call regulars, this album is doomed by extremely low rating.

And that's not fair, because when compared to album when ALSO fanboys worked, this album fails in charts.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"
   -Andyman1125 on Lulu



Even my cat believes that :-)
Back to Top
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
Retired

Joined: March 04 2008
Location: Retirement Home
Status: Offline
Points: 3658
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 17:10
Originally posted by Marty McFly Marty McFly wrote:

Even I respect other's opinion in reviews, having all four albums with average of 2.2 ratings, that's not good and almost everyone will turn away without interesting in this band when seeing this. Why to go for 2.2 album, when there is far more of 4.2 albums to taste :-/

I disagree. 

Both myself and Umur has described the music very well on each album and put it into the right genre. So if your general preference is Neo-Prog, you are less likely to choose these albums by Anata than I am likely to ever walk on water even if I gave that Anata album five stars. If you like the type of music described by me and Umur for that Anata album, you are much more likely to purchase that album instead of a Marillion album rated 5.  

This is why I am never that bothered about the 1-5 stars rating when I read others reviews. I am just interested in what type of music this album contains. If the music is within what the parameters of my personal preferences, I am likely to purchase that album. But as a reviewer, I agonize a lot about what star I should give that and that album. That's the difference between reviewing and reading a review. 

I think too many are too much occupied by stars and ratings instead of really reading what the reviewer writes. Smile




Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 11 2010 at 17:14
Back to Top
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors and Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Status: Offline
Points: 3958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 17:44

^ This is only 1/2 of posts I wrote in this thread, I explained it further in second one.

Torodd, you know that I usually agree with you. Of course, we write reviews (and I know this very well, after all, I write reviews too because I want them to be read). But many people simply follow rating system, because it's less time consuming. They believe our opinion and our choice of stars. So when they see 2.2 rating, they (and I already wrote this) won't be interested in this album. They won't read reviews (often), they just won't look at it.

Technical Death Metal is good example actually. Everyone loves symphonic. Or at least most of people here. But I met many, really many people who hated Death Metal because of how it sounds. That it's too harsh, too unfriendly, unpleasant, whatever you call it.

It's just for fans of this genre.

But such album gets 4.1 average rating, because a lot of our collaborators / reviewers are fans of Technical Death Metal genre.

I'm not happy about using this old example, because I don't have anything against this genre at all, but it should serve its purpose.

There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"
   -Andyman1125 on Lulu



Even my cat believes that :-)
Back to Top
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Team

Joined: July 02 2008
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 14198
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 18:52
Hey Marty
 
 
 
send me some Anata MP3s and I will do a review for you
 
 
Cheers
ACR
Back to Top
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors and Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2009
Location: Czech Republic
Status: Offline
Points: 3958
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 18:57
I don't have them, I don't know this band at all, just using it as example for other similar deeds that are happening.
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"
   -Andyman1125 on Lulu



Even my cat believes that :-)
Back to Top
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 730
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 20:03
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I doubt prog fans would be intereted in a rather uninspired death metal band.
 
See, that is where your thinking goes wrong.  Neither you nor anyone else should have sway over anybody's opinion.  Calling a band "uninspired" is like saying you don't like chinese food, or italian, or frickin' monkey brains for dinner....AND that everyone else should feel the same as you, because your opinion is infallible.  It's an opinion, not a fact.  If you consider them "uninspired" I would like to see which bands you do think are inspired, because as far as I am concerned, I would say (and this is my opinion; no opinion is a fact, so please don't treat it that way) that 90-95% of metal bands are uninspired, due to the long history of metal (at least for almost two generations), it has nearly run its course, there is very little innovation left to be had, without resorting to genre blending.  I guess in the end reviews don't do sh*t for me, because I want to experience the music/movie/book/entertainment/distraction piece for myself.  It's like asking someone to believe in something that cannot and has not been proven.  But I guess that is faith for you....(sorry to get sidetracked).  I just never understood the point of reading a review and then getting all hyped up because somebody eloquently wrote passionately about their likes and dislikes; it's much like the zeitgeist snake-oil salesmen....  Nobody can do music justice by merely writing about something that can't always be intellectualized or spoken about in adequate terms which are universally understood for everyone.  In short, words fail where emotions are involved.  We're all having a love affair with our favorite reviewers because we like and have liked the way they express themselves... I can't say I agree with a lot of the reviews around here. I guess it can be helpful to field many reviews and then get an average, but when the average seems comparably skewed, because, quite frankly, many of the guys on this board are simply myopic about certain musics.... and rate bands unfavorably because of this hate...this does not bode well.   It seems simpler to just listen to the posted samples of a band, read the bio, research them a little bit yourself or find their myspace, and then make up your own mind, rather than trusting some fanboys/trashtalkers tug of war.  I never eat my opinion off of someone else's plate.


Edited by avalanchemaster - June 11 2010 at 20:07
Back to Top
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 730
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2010 at 20:04
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm going to say I just have to hate them because I've never listened to anything and don't know who the hell they are.  I am of course all knowing and all listening and so they must be really really bad even though I've never heard them.
 
I assume you are being facetious.  LOL
Back to Top
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Symphonic Team

Joined: July 02 2008
Location: Australia
Status: Offline
Points: 14198
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2010 at 06:25
Who the heck are they anyway = Heard thousands of bands but these guys escape me
Back to Top
MAVIII View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie
Avatar

Joined: January 02 2008
Location: Los Angeles Cal
Status: Offline
Points: 63
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 04:27
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Who the heck are they anyway = Heard thousands of bands but these guys escape me

Anata, Arsis, The Faceless, Psytropic anyone?

You know, I imagine, from past threads, that fans like me are a RARE breed, I've witnissed the Births of
Progressive Sub-genres, Prog and Metal musics since I was born in that magical year of 1963.
And I actually LOVE all of Progs sub-genres, and my Metal leanings are more extreme, that includes
Tech-Thrash, Tech-Death and Math Metal. As well as NWOBHM and that ilk (Internationaly).
I've seen (heard) folks up in arms why many of the "Mathematical" lot always fall short to impress most
folks, and proof was in the pudding of Reviewers "Why's" above, BUT . . . I appreciate his explaination.
BUT . . . at the same time it makes less sense to me Confused.

How do I 'splain . . .
Well, I'm going to try, this is the reason I don't do reviews, I'm not as articulate as some, and my grammer
is something to be of dissaster (would this be called "Gonzo" writing?) . . .

If you don't really like the "Genre" of the music, why review it?  Thats like me saying "I really appreciate
Prince for his knowledge of Music but his Music is awful" - That type of Rock/R&B is not my style, but I
know that his brand of R&B is more complex than say "The Pussycat Dolls" . . . but I still don't like that
type of music. Yet lets go back to pre 80's R&B and I'll show you lost treasures.
But if I am not into the era of contemporary R&B, it will be rare that I will like something in the genre.
maybe I'll make a point of it, that I have been "not impressed by this 'new' R&B, but Corinne Bailey Rae,
Alicia Keys, or Joss Stone on the otherhand...". But most critics I've read, I get the feeling they don't
care for this new "Extreme Prog Metal", its not their cup of tea, well I say "Dont drink it".
Or . . . learn to like it, aquire its taste.  I'm a sodaholic, but I'm sure theres a Beer or Wine that will
educate my tastebuds Wink.

Heres the paradox though . . .
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

I doubt prog fans would be intereted in a rather uninspired death metal band.


Well, I'm a Prog Fan and I like them, but I have many other Bands that I want to get around to before
these guys I guess.  But they are not just a "Death Metal Band", they have a Technical proficiancy that
can be unbelievably complex, and they were one of the 1st to come out of the gates teetering on the
"Core" side and the Death Metal side of things.
I'd have to say the Band that is the seed to germinate this brand of Technical Metal is Meshuggah.
The 'Shuggahners took bands like Cynic, Death and Watchtower and added a few Vulcan Canons to
the mix and made it extra brutal.  But the beauty of Meshuggah was they fooled everyone thinking that
all their timing is an odd measure here - another one there, but they themselves have said its all "4/4"
. . . but its what they DO within that 4/4, in other words, they always have a groove, a groove that you
can headbang to for awhile, then it switches up, and your head is bobbing faster or slower.
For you "proggers" who think thats silly, then think of it as tapping, or "drumming" on your lap Wink.

I have seen that term "unispired" used again and again.  Meshuggah for the EP "None" was nothing
more than a "Pantera Clone" to a critic I read years ago.  And imediately I thought that this person
clearly did not understand what he was listening to, or that he reviews soo many albums that
everything becomes a blur, and if I am to review an album, I need to clear my head, my pallet for
awhile, relax, sit back and start a review with a clear head . . . or his tastes suck and I'll listen to my
own taste Tongue.
I read under a Vid on the notorious YOUtube "comments", one guy thought Meshuggah was another
"Emo Screamo Band", this guy must be 15 years old.  Thankfully someone corrected him and said
"Dude! Meshuggah were making albums decades before anyone even concieved of making that
sh*t!" (I discovered them 15 years ago!).
Rush was deemed uninspired and  . . . oh no! WAIT FOR IT . . . "Pretentious" (and the strangest,
"Technical w**kering" each generation thinks another band is too tech, and it was never a problem
for me).  As Neil Peart would say on their latest Documentary, "We were never 'pretending' to be
anything!".  Think of the countless Prog bands endlessley paraded as pretentious, over the top,
techno babble by all those AOR listeners, and Top 40 hacks writting positive reviews for the flavours
of the week (weak).  From the late 60's on.
Those examples are as bad as that old saw "Its all just noise" . . . well YOU try to play it!  Chances
are most think that pounding your fists on the strings sounds the same . . . I call that bad hearing.
Now, lets say this comes from the dreaded "Progger", well, chances are that most (again, most)
Prog musicians can not play the heavier or extreme type of Tech Metal, on the other hand chances
are that the Metal musician can play Prog, maybe even Jazz.  I even heard Bassist Dan Lilker of
Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, S.O.D., Holy Moses and Brutal Truth say this.  Now this isnt every
Metalhead, I'm not saying the members of Motley Crue can, but todays underground Metallers have
chops that are influenced from more than just Metal.
I can think of Ron Jarzombek (Watchtower, Spastik Ink, Blotted Science), Fredrik Thordendal,
Cynic, Continuo Renacer, Gordian Knot, Mourning Sign, Rosicrusian, Athiest and Aghora to
name just a VERY few that can handle Jazz/Fusion and prove it in a few or more tracks.

But here we are, in a Prog Forum, and most (most, NOT all) Proggers have their "formula", what they
deem "Prog" and damn it all to hell if it doesnt form into their mold.  Which is like a Dandylion seed
landing on the penis of a Cow 100 yards away from the Highway you are driving on at 120 mph in a
Ferrari LOL.  Face it, we are Nerds and Geeks complaining about a certain band in a Genre that the
rest of the world could give 2 sh*ts about.
But we can look at it as Sci-Fi/Fantasy Art to Contemporary Modern or Classical Art, its just not taken
as serious (and go look at all the supposed "Bad Album Covers" put up, many I LIKE and appreciate
their artistry. And go look at "Bad Covers-Good Music", there is one guy trying to convince another
WHY he "shouldnt" like the Beatles Art Covers).  I like all types of Art . . . at a time I did not because I
thought Picasso was just a guy that painted like a child, until I discovered that he could draw and
paint "Realism", he had the Foundation of what you needed to be an Artist , a Journeman (Or
so-what, what if these contemporaries didnt?) and he began to see new ideas, he re-invented Art as
we know it.  We need Dali's, Pollock's and Giger's to shake things up (does it help that I'm an Artist
that makes a living at it, yeah probably).
EVERY PERSON IS INSPIRED WHEN CREATING A PIECE OF ART IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT <<<
Read and repeat, the Art can be bad or good, its your interpitation, its based on your "knowledge" of
the Art , how it was created and YOU will see a unique insight of why it works for you.  Lets keep this
in the context of Prog because we see and hear a lot of Top40 music that lacks any merit of "Art" and
is just more of the same to fit in a Top40 hole.  I endlessly have to hear how DT's "Six Degrees of
Inner Turbulence" is uninspired when I can take each song off that album and describe the lyrical
and musical intricasies that make each song inspired and an inspiration, and a few that move me to
tears.
But thats how I see it, it just rubs me the wrong way when some tell me I cant . . .

Gentle Giant and latter day King Crimson , with 8 String Guitars and Cookie Vocals!!!!
Now . . .
Back to our Math Lesson, here is my minor problem with many Math Bands of today.  These young
guys coming out of the woodwork have something to prove, its hard to think what will come next in
Metal (or even Prog, where does it go, sometimes backwards, all the bands having 60's/70's
influences), so basically they thought, and I give them credit for taking on such an endeavor, "Lets
become more complex".
But this may be an old man gripeing, this time, it does become almost a cacophony of sound,
everything has a rhythm but I myself like to have a "groove" once in a while to break things up, not
just stop and go THEN go to left field, THEN change here, blast beats HERE.  That tends to make
the songs sound too similar, it litteraly becomes too mathematical, it comes to a point that you do
have to be a musician to play it.  Though proggers gripe about bands like Spiral Architect,
Watchtower
, Twisted Into Form, Canvas Solaris, Death, Cynic etc. that they "have no rhythm"
. . . well watchout folks, here come the New Wave of Math Metal LOL!!!
But I like it, its just not something I can listen to back to back unless I break it up by making one
of my Compilation CD's with "other" bands in the mix, and in different tempos, voices and genres
of Tech-Thrash and Death Metal.

I just bought Gorod "Process of a New Decline", I've ony known tracks from YOUtube because their
stuff is difficult to purchase (especially if you dont buy on-line like me), I really liked what i've seen
and heard, but I was ready to have another "The Faceless" album of Mathematical madness.
Well . . . I got the mathematical madness, but God bless them, it had a GROOVE in each song!
Every Track was complex to the power of 50.000 and yet it was all groove driven . . . HOW THEY
DO THAT? We're talkin' Gutteral Cookie Vocals and Blast beats, but then clean guitars come in,
beautiful melodies, wonderful neo-classical finger taps and pull-offs, and . . . believe it or not,
around a Sci-Fi Concept that was far beyond anything I've seen/read in awhile.
THAT is whats missing from "the New Math", but saying that, there are MANY international Bands
doing just that (Gorod is from France), pushing the envelope but making things melodius enough
to appreciate the musicality, yet make it just as brutal as Malevolent Creation or At the Gates.

Lets face it, its not for everyone, the typical Genesis fan is not going to go "WOW! This Obzen
album from Meshuggah is Wonderful!" (But maybe a Allan Holdsworth fan may appreciate
"Destroy Erase Improve" or Fredrik Thordendals Special Defects), but me as a Genesis fan
would Wink
We are a rare breed that are into it all.  I supply Progulus.com with all the Meshuggah CD's, we
have possibly a whopping 10 people who are into them and other Math Metal (and the more
extreme stuff we cant have on the station) and you see the ratings for Meshuggah songs and
its dis-heartning Cry (hey, even for Cynic and Spiral Architect). They just tossed a Bulldozer into
the Orchestra Pit, its just too much for most.  We have to get used to that.

I think, if you are a Critic that doesnt like this genre of Prog, you are doing a dis-service in rating it,
but  no-one should base "their tastes" on any reviewer.  Look at them as information, something
may click in a "why" does that not work for them but it does for your own taste.  If I see a record of a
Critic reviewing Prog Metal ala' Dream Theater-type bands, I may put some credence in their
reviews, but  if the original Classic era of Prog is their thing and the new DT comes out and says
the typical "They havent been the same since their Images & Words album", I snicker -the paradox
of "progressive" comes to mind and who's interpitation of progressive.

Find your own interpitation, educate yourself on different art styles, purchase other genres, stack
them up and look at your collection and the variety and say to yourself, "Can I really criticize the
various genres within prog to make a responsible critique that represents my knowledge of what
I've experienced in my catalogue?".

"My opinion is just a Point of View, and your position, is the otherside".
-Fates Warning

For more Bands of the Heavier and Technical see these 2 Forums:
Spiral Architect Thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/spiral-architect/254094-i-need-bands-like-spiral-architect.html

Progulus.com "Math Lab":
http://www.progulus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=451

. . . I'm sure I don't know what I'm talking about, somewhere in all that drivel youre bound to find me
out Unhappy.



Edited by MAVIII - June 15 2010 at 22:44
"Shapes and forms, against the norms..." See My Art at: http://mavartworx.deviantart.com/gallery/
And join the ProgFamily: prOgulus.com
Back to Top
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: March 02 2007
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 730
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalanchemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 09:58
MAVIII:

Clap

thank you!  you invested WAY more time and thought into this thread than I had/have and made some excellent points.  This is about more than just the band Anata themselves, it is about unbridled denigration of art merely because said art does not suit someone's taste.  There is no need to campaign against art because it does not fill you with excitement.  I feel that is what has happened here.  I clearly think that Anata was and were somewhat ahead of their time with the technical, thrashy, and progressive death metal aspects of their music.  In their latest album they even had clean, almost jazzy lines and solos and really very progressive, shifting riffs.  I may one day review their albums, but I don't really need to prove to anyone my love for the band, nor should I try to convert anyone else; but I don't think their music deserves anything less than a 3.  To some they may be average, but others exemplary.  There are several bands (even on this site) who are far less interesting than Anata.  In my opinion at least....


Back to Top
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
Retired

Joined: March 04 2008
Location: Retirement Home
Status: Offline
Points: 3658
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 16:59
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

MAVIII:

Clap

  There is no need to campaign against art because it does not fill you with excitement. 

You are accusing me for campaigning against Anata ?? Shocked That is, to put it as nice as possible, horse manure. Not to mention; a lie and slander. And frankly, you are discrediting Anata with your rant.  



Edited by toroddfuglesteg - June 15 2010 at 17:05
Back to Top
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: February 11 2009
Location: Vancouver, CA
Status: Offline
Points: 3196
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 17:07
I shall give Anata a listen.
 
You should do what every Floyd/Crimson/Porcupine Tree fan does and give Anata 5 stars for everything!
Back to Top
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 03 2008
Location: Là, sui monti.
Status: Offline
Points: 10671
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2010 at 19:21
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

MAVIII:

Clap

thank you!  you invested WAY more time and thought into this thread than I had/have and made some excellent points.  This is about more than just the band Anata themselves, it is about unbridled denigration of art merely because said art does not suit someone's taste.  There is no need to campaign against art because it does not fill you with excitement.  I feel that is what has happened here.  I clearly think that Anata was and were somewhat ahead of their time with the technical, thrashy, and progressive death metal aspects of their music.  In their latest album they even had clean, almost jazzy lines and solos and really very progressive, shifting riffs.  I may one day review their albums, but I don't really need to prove to anyone my love for the band, nor should I try to convert anyone else; but I don't think their music deserves anything less than a 3.  To some they may be average, but others exemplary.  There are several bands (even on this site) who are far less interesting than Anata.  In my opinion at least....



The last five words.
Everything is said. It's only a matter of opinion.

Even if Anata is a band of my time (I was 20 when their first album came out), I've never thought of listening to them (the worst was that my local library had this records among their collection). I guess Nile and Arch Enemy overshadowed them, not to mention my interest for the French metal scene.

I also feel a contradiction in your ranting: you're putting some nearly philosophical lines about art VS. excitement, saying: "there is no need to campaign against art" - which is the last thing one would do on this forum.
After that, you write "I don't need to prove my love for this band, nor should I try to convert anyone..." These lines make me speechless, for they are a contrast with your previous statements and the main goal of your thread: to prove that Anata should be given better marks and more stars.

One personal example: I gave 4 stars for Alchemist's Jar of Kingdom (I was the first one to review this record), but UMUR gave it only 2. Well, I haven't felt the need to open a thread to show my "angar" and to start a flamewar against anyone claiming not to enjoy their music.

Art - would it be music, painting, sculptures or dance - is a matter of personal views and choices. The appreciation of any creation is a subjective experience, through the brain and, therefore, the mind, the intellect, the education... of a living person with its own emotions - INCLUDING AN EXCITEMENT since one can feel joy and excitement from intellectual stimulation.
To have little interest in ONE band, ONE movie, ONE comic, ONE creation is not campaigning against art: it's only expressing its opinion about the said creation.

Now, go and write a review for Alchemist and give'em 6 stars.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.125 seconds.