Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeep Purple - Child in Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 18:53
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Originally posted by WatcherOfTheSkies88 WatcherOfTheSkies88 wrote:

Wasn't sure if I should post this topic in this forum or the "proto-prog" forum... but I think this song is definitely progressive rock. Anyway, just wanted to say that I think "Child in Time" by Deep Purple is the best rock song ever made. There aren't really enough words that one can use to describe how perfect this song is... but it really is just a thing of beauty! In particular, Gillan's spine-tingling screams and Blackmore's unbelievable guitar solo. The song just builds and builds, with multiple climaxes. The whole thing is just an orgasm for my ears. 

Anyway, have you heard the 18min. version off the remastered Live in Stokholm? Amazing, best version I've heard.
WatcherOfTheSkies88 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 13:33
Originally posted by CyberDiablo CyberDiablo wrote:

Deep Purple sadly ripped off many songs like Smoke on the Water from a jazz song Maria Moite by Astrud Gilberto and Gil Evans. Also Black Night from Ricky Nelson's Summertime and Burn from George Gershwin's Fascinating Rhythm. But they are still cool.

I can see why you say the Astrud Gilberto and Ricky Nelson songs sound similar to Smoke on the Water and Black Night, but I can't see any similarities to Burn from the Gershwin song.

Also, I am already aware that DP ripped off of Bombay Calling from IABD, but I really don't care... Deep Purple gave them credit and made the riff into something much more spectacular than that original song, so I'm very glad that they did.
Geizao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 02:28

Child in Time has great (rough and melodic) composition!
silcir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2010 at 18:20
Deep purple ftw! they're gods. and Child in time is just splendid.
MNb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 15:58

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

BTW, They did the same with Lazy and IABD's Don & Dewey

And quite a few other songs (Black Night, Fireball, Burn) contain stolen ideas as well. 

CiT definitely is progrock. Nobody had done something like this before. While one of the main themes comes from It's a beautiful Day indeed, the way that theme is developed was unique in 1969. The same for the coda. Also note that that coda doesn'r represent a catharsis, like so many epics inspired by CiT would (Stairway to Heaven, November Rain), but an apocalypse.

This is a bit typical for DP. They have done quite a few new things (by far not always with success; think of In Concert for a prime example) that have become so familiar that it has become hard to recognize the novelty factor. Fireball (the song) is proto speed-metal, Never Before is quite poppy in a way that only would become popular in the 80's and even the (in)famous Smoke on the Water defines the genre of arena-rock in an unprecedented way. Boy, am I happy that in 1972 the guys didn't realize yet that it's perfect for a tasteless audience sing-a-long (sure enough they would many years later).

Btw IABD's Don and Dewey is based on DP's Wring that Neck. Seems those two bands had a thing going on. Quite funny.

Completely subjective: DP were the greatest, but only in 1972 and 1973 (plus In Rock).

MNb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 16:03

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm afraid to say I only know Dream Theater's version, and I do think it's very good. But I wouldn't call it the greatest song of all time.

Oho, now that version is a failure. No way DT could ever pull off the song like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OorZcOzNcgE

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 16:42
Better than any Zeppelin song. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 17:17
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

While I like Child In Time a lot, I do feel that it (and the whole In Rock album) are overly praised. It's good hard rock with some progressive elements, but it didn't blow my mind the way a lot of other music has.

Music does not have to be prog to blow my mind.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 19:09
Originally posted by MNb MNb wrote:

Also note that that coda doesn't represent a catharsis, like so many epics inspired by CiT would (Stairway to Heaven, November Rain), but an apocalypse.

Not just the coda, but the entire piece represents an apocalypse. It's an unusually creepy song by Deep Purple's standards.

Yeah, "Child In Time" has to be the band's finest hour from I think to be the band's finest album (Deep Purple In Rock).

"Bombay Calling" is also nice.

He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 19:22
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Is this the 5th or thr 50th time of telling?  IABD have tucked away on some reissue CD liner notes that in turn Bombay Calling was lifted from J.S. Bach.......

And I've read that Bombay Calling was ripped off from Vince Wallace.

http://www.bluoz.com/iabd/vince.html
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 03:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I'm afraid to say I only know Dream Theater's version, and I do think it's very good. But I wouldn't call it the greatest song of all time.

what? Dream Theater has a cover of Child in Time? Confused didn't now that.

anyway, Malmsteen covered the song on his 1996 covers album called inspiration; suprisingly good, i expected worse I have to say.

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 04:18
CiT is one of the best rock compositions, yes. 
Probably took some older music to base the track upon, but well done.
Great vocals and great instrumental achievements too.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 12:54
I had thought .."It's A Beautiful Day" recorded the basis of this tune and it's melody before Deep Purple , but beyond that, I recall it's origin to derive from European Folk. It might be a European melody hummed ..but played with a different rhythm. If you play the "Spanish Ballad" on the guitar in the U.S., a few people may recognize the melody, but if you played the piece in Italy...many people would be familiar with it as a melody often sang around the house or at social gatherings. Deep Purple's "Child In Time" is very powerful and very influential to the development of the progressive side to Metal. I often attribute this piece to Ian Gillian destroying his voice with the hellish screaming night after night. The live version from Made In Japan is outstanding.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2015 at 13:55
to me, it's not the best song ever, but defintely within the Deep Purple catalog if you ask me!! 10 minutes of heavy prog awesomeness!!!
Progrockdude
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

[
hate to bring it to you, but Child In Time was musically lifted by Purple from It's A Beautyful Day' s Bonbay Calling 

Exactly so. "Bombay Calling". ( I think "Hard Road" was also lifted from some band.)
Was listening to the first track off Fireballet's "Night on Bald Mt." lp and, after all these years, only now noticed that - after some 60 seconds into the song - they are lifting one of the most beautiful tunes ever writ: George Martin's "Theme One" (which appears on the Canadian press of VDGGenerator's "Pawn Hearts" lp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12