Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark symphonic prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:16
Indeed Goblin were masters of the dark, listen to both Goblin and Morte
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:27
Creepiest-darkest (were talking about creepy-darkness here aren't we?) albums I've heard aesthetically are:

Steve Hackett - Wlild Orchards (in the cliched sense)

in not a cliched sense: Peter Gabriel III "Melt"
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 23:33
Dark, but in no way gothic    DJAM KARET
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 23:41
Perhaps Karda Estra - Weird Tales is worth a mention here.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 10:33
Quote ...
Quite an ode to a fine LP!  However, listen again to the wonderful "Deutch Nepal," I think it is sufficiently dark!  ...

Thank you. To be honest with you, I don't think I have ever heard a more satisfying album of music, than AD2's Wolf City from beginning to end. My biggest grip is that the stupid CD has the songs in the wrong order and the album does not sound as good that way! It was done because "Surrounded by the Stars (I guess) was the better known song in that album.

I don't think that "Deutche Nepal" is dark, any more than it is a biting satire. So much so that AD2 satirized their own song and sang it in falsetto on the album "Utopia", which also had musicians from Embryo on it.

Nepal, is a place that is generally associated with something spiritual, with the obvious exception of the Chinese involvement since. Yes, a bit romantic on our parts, but still true. By making it German, is to me a joke on the whole thing, including some spiritual things, since Chris Karrer is a well known Sufi and has always been quite qualified to even discuss Castaneda and make fun of him! I don't think it's intention is to be dark at all. Even satire can be in bad taste sometimes, but I really think that this was done in very good taste and in a way, sometimes I think that this was another way of kneeling East Germany at the time, the same way Guru Guru did later on Tango Fango, and so many others did at the time in West Germany before the wall was torn down!

We keep thinking that what we call "heaviness" in music is just dark, and it doesn't have to be. Even without the lyrics, I can tell you that the trip through that song is really powerful and has nothing to do with AD2's Hittler setups and satires, which they did more than once ... check out "La Krautoma".

Edited by moshkito - June 26 2010 at 10:35
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 10:43
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

what about Van der Graaf Generator - not symphonic I guess but very dark!

I would disagree. I would prefer to say that VdGG and Peter Hammill, the material is much more personal, than it is dark. Of course, the minute I say that you're going to listen to that Bernina piece and you are going to nail me on it. I think a lot of people tend to think that simply because a person, screams, cries, sings, speaks all onver in one album that it is all dark. It is not. There is a house with no door and I am living there ... it's not dark. It's just how the person feels!

I don't know that "feelings" should be considered dark or light. I would imagine that if you sat and read Matthew Gregory Lewis' The Monk, you could say that is dark! And scary. But in general, one's feelings are just that, and we tend to label them "dark" or "light" depending on the result of if we like them or not, and personally that is not fair.

Picasso's Guernica maybe dark in its subject matter ... but it is not dark ... it's a pictorial representation of everything he saw around him during the Spanish Civil War time, and as such is just as valid a comment on a lot of other things. Sure the darkness and maliciousness of the human spirit. But simply because an organ is played on low C and D with some cellos, does not "dark" make! ... just how you relate to it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by warrplayer warrplayer wrote:

Dark, but in no way gothic    DJAM KARET

Disagree again.

Sound textures and "visual sound" is not about darkness, and I'm pretty sure that Chuck would agree with me on this one!

It was, and is, about learning what your instrument can do, and how a sound can create a musical sphere and visual for one to live through and create. A writer does this a lot ... to try and find what is in his/her head. And the tendency is to express it in words (I write poetry) and in this case, just letting the instruments go ... not interfere with their continuity by adding musical elements that you and I know.

That is creativity!

That is the reason why I say that Djam Karet's first 4 albums are so important for "progressive" music, and by far one of the best set of albums from any band in the past 30 to 40 years. Some folks like King Crimson, or ELP. I will take Djam Karet anyday ... even if a song or two would seem to be a bit of a take on Pink Floyd! It's just so much more dynamic than King Crimson that is more about the personalities than it is about the music -- way too much for my tastes!
www.pedrosena.com
warrplayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 23:15
okay. not that they do much in the way of symphonic, but they dipped into it here (wait for it).  One of my favorite dark prog songs:

http://www.99namesofgod.com/sound/obsolence.mp3
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2011 at 00:47
I just posted this in another thread about "Production," it probably belongs over here first.   The band is "Panzer Faust" and the song "Ulice Rozpaczy,"

VERY nice use of either Mellotron or (more likely) string synth at the beginning & ending, I would like to hear metal use more instrumentation like that! 

I don't speak Polish and can't find out much about this band, so I sure hope they aren't a bunch of Neo-Nazis!  

....the MP3 can be listened to at this site:

Edited by cstack3 - December 24 2011 at 00:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12