Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 432 hz effect.. please help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 432 hz effect.. please help!
    Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:33
Hey there, I would like to ask PA members to join this experiment.

Throughout the course of history the pitch of music was based on the A-note being played on 432 Hz. In a lot of cultures it was (and still is) believed this is the optimal pitch for spiritual and relaxed listening.

In the '40 of the previous century it was determined that the pitch of music should be based on a A-note of 440 hz. A lot of musicians protested against this decision.

Recently I discovered this and started testing the difference between the two. I play the electric guitar and have decided to play on the 432 hz ancient standard due to the result.

I would like to ask every-one to listen to these two samples (normal version and 432 hz version) of Pink Floyd - Marooned. Please comment whatever your experience was!

I'm studying to become a music therapist and I want to use this information for a survey in the future.

Many thanks!
Friso

Pink Floyd - Marooned (original)

Pink Floyd - Marooned in 432 Hz

Edited by Tony R - June 30 2010 at 15:41
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:37
Something's gone wrong with your links.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:38
sorry, i've been trying to get the movies into my post, but I don't know how it works...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:44
Use the insert hyperlink button and just add the URLs.
Rune2000 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:47
Wow, I thought that retuning made a huge difference since I immediately felt much calmer and relaxed when listening to the track... now how am I suppose to get back to my work after this? Wink
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:51
I can't say what the difference is, but the original version sounded much better to my ears.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 06:53
Here's another one for metal-heads. Though I don't think it's the perfect sample, it does show the difference impact.

Metallica - Blackened original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo&feature=related

Metallica - Blackened 432 Hz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvSEwDEd90

Edited by friso - June 30 2010 at 06:54
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 07:05
@Metallica: this time I don't hear any difference, except for what seems to be the effects of a stronger compression for the 432 HZ version.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 07:22
I've seen this topic posted on many other forums that have anything to do with music.
It's all garbage.
I cannot think of anything more retarded than worrying about whether the album you are listening to was played based around the A note being a frequency of 432Hz rather than 440Hz.
Sorry, but you have to be an idiot to buy into this theory that music based around the A note of 432Hz is somehow inherently more relaxing.

When this was posted on Sevenstring.org, every single person there (since they are all musicians, unlike PA where not everyone is a musician) that posted in the thread apart from the OP who was trying to sell his theory, knew it was full of sh*t and just an absolutely absurd concept.
The Runaway View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 07:28
Petrovsk, do you have a SINGLE post where you're not angry at the OP?
Trendsetter win!

The search for nonexistent perfection.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 07:31
^ Thank you for your constructive comment. However, I don't understand how people can 'know' it's bullsh*t since there is no collective way of perceiving music, nor is there a way to measure it.

I can understand musicians feel opposed to the suggestion of playing on 432 Hz, because it would make playing on some instruments quite difficult. It's hard to re-tune a piano and it get's even worse on a pitch perfect keyboard. But all this has nothing to do with this experiment.

Please just listen to the samples and write about your experience. And though I can understand your very critical, I would like to read about just that.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 07:55
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I can't say what the difference is, but the original version sounded much better to my ears.

Same here, although maybe if I didn't listen to them side-by-side it might be different.

FWIW, I still love the end of that song. LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 08:47
I don't understand this forum sometimes.
For example, I'll see threads where people are talking about the loudness wars, and how "compression is killing music and making it too loud".
Why do people say this?
Because it's what they read in a bloody article that told them so.
Don't worry about critical thinking and you know, actually researching the topic at hand, just believe what some stupid journalist tells you.

Any audio engineer worth his salt will tell you that very heavy compression on single tracks has been something going on for decades, well before today's current trend of quite loud records.
This tells me compression itself isn't really at fault.
If I tell people the actual reasons why records have got so loud, and discuss the techniques used to get there, like limiting, clipping, getting the frequency balance right in the mix as to be able to get a louder mix without the bass farting out too much in mastering, and the fact that loud sounding records actually starts all the way from the way the musicians play and the tracking process, I'll just get blank stares, because
that's not what it said in the brain dead article that told you "It's all the fault of compressors/compression!".

But having made my own recordings and getting them to sound fairly loud (not as smashed as the most smashed of today's stuff, but still pretty loud), I understand it's a process that starts from playing tightly, tracking at appropriate levels, getting the frequency balance in the mix right, using clipping to tame transients on drum tracks, and further using clipping to tame transients to keep stuff out of the red zone, and that compression is only really used for shaping the attack, release, sustain or general tonality of an element in the mix and not as some kind of loudness booster.

This is the result of actually trying something first hand, using critical thinking and just thinking for myself, rather than just being spoon fed what someone who has no idea what they're talking about wants me to believe.

Now, more back to the topic at hand, read this article:

http://www.omega432.com/music.html

The opening paragraphs for example

"

432hz vibrates on the principals of the golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness.

432hz Natural Tuning has profound effects on consciousness and also on the cellular level of our bodies.
By retuning musical instruments and using concert pitch at 432 hertz instead of 440 hertz, your atoms and DNA starts to resonate in harmony with the PHI spiral of nature."

Does anyone here that possesses a brain, actually believe/buy into that?
Tell me, someone, honestly tell me you think that isn't one of the most absurd and ridiculous things you've read in your life.
I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but via critical thinking, I am able to see that the guy who wrote this article is probably a complete whacko.

Metallica's Ride the Lightning album is in fact, ABOVE the 440Hz A center, but did it stop millions of people from buying and enjoying the hell out of it?
However the music was written, in whatever tuning, was how the artist intended for you to enjoy it.
If it didn't sound good at 440Hz, it will not sound better at 432Hz.
In fact, by the poor logic of some of the pro-432Hz articles, why stop at tuning down 8Hz? Surely it would sound better at 431Hz then? 429Hz? 420Hz?
See what I mean, it just gets more and more ridiculous and absurd.

Read this thread too

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/57796-432-hz.html

You'll notice a member called "GandalfDaBlack" who joined the forum just to push the 432Hz  theory(as well as that idiot Brian T Collins, who made an account called "432Hz" just to plug his article)
None of his arguments make any sense and you know what?
At the end of the day, everyone just kept enjoying music, regardless of whether the guitars/bass guitars were tuned to C standard 430Hz, Bb standard 442Hz or drop A 437Hz.

Edited by Petrovsk Mizinski - June 30 2010 at 08:50
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 08:59
Originally posted by The Runaway The Runaway wrote:

Quite a few in fact.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:04
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Originally posted by The Runaway The Runaway wrote:

Quite a few in fact.

I have read some. :D

Blackened didn't change very dramatically either, btw.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:16
Petrovsk, you still haven't explained why you think this is such nonsense other than that "it's obvious." That is not very scientific. I'm not saying it's true, but there are such things as resonance frequencies and it is not completely insane to suggest that alternate tunings may better tap into them and that this might somehow be nice.

As far as the tracks go, I found the 432hz ones somewhat more powerful than the originals on a visceral level, although it may just be my ears. Since I have so much experience with 440hz, I vould instantly tell that the tuning was "off" and it may be the experience of being "out of tune" that I'm responding to rather than the specific frequency.

Edited by thellama73 - June 30 2010 at 09:18
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:40
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

I don't understand this forum sometimes.For example, I'll see threads where people are talking about the loudness wars, and how "compression is killing music and making it too loud".Why do people say this?Because it's what they read in a bloody article that told them so.Don't worry about critical thinking and you know, actually researching the topic at hand, just believe what some stupid journalist tells you.Any audio engineer worth his salt will tell you that very heavy compression on single tracks has been something going on for decades, well before today's current trend of quite loud records.This tells me compression itself isn't really at fault.If I tell people the actual reasons why records have got so loud, and discuss the techniques used to get there, like limiting, clipping, getting the frequency balance right in the mix as to be able to get a louder mix without the bass farting out too much in mastering, and the fact that loud sounding records actually starts all the way from the way the musicians play and the tracking process, I'll just get blank stares, because that's not what it said in the brain dead article that told you "It's all the fault of compressors/compression!".But having made my own recordings and getting them to sound fairly loud (not as smashed as the most smashed of today's stuff, but still pretty loud), I understand it's a process that starts from playing tightly, tracking at appropriate levels, getting the frequency balance in the mix right, using clipping to tame transients on drum tracks, and further using clipping to tame transients to keep stuff out of the red zone, and that compression is only really used for shaping the attack, release, sustain or general tonality of an element in the mix and not as some kind of loudness booster.This is the result of actually trying something first hand, using critical thinking and just thinking for myself, rather than just being spoon fed what someone who has no idea what they're talking about wants me to believe.Now, more back to the topic at hand, read this article:http://www.omega432.com/music.htmlThe opening paragraphs for example"

432hz vibrates on the principals of the golden mean PHI and unifies
the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with
biology, the DNA code and consciousness.

432hz Natural Tuning has profound effects on consciousness and also
on the cellular level of our bodies.
By retuning musical instruments and using concert pitch at 432 hertz
instead of 440 hertz, your atoms and DNA starts to resonate in harmony
with the PHI spiral of nature."Does anyone here that possesses a brain, actually believe/buy into that?Tell me, someone, honestly tell me you think that isn't one of the most absurd and ridiculous things you've read in your life.I'm no genius by any stretch of the imagination, but via critical thinking, I am able to see that the guy who wrote this article is probably a complete whacko.Metallica's Ride the Lightning album is in fact, ABOVE the 440Hz A center, but did it stop millions of people from buying and enjoying the hell out of it?However the music was written, in whatever tuning, was how the artist intended for you to enjoy it.If it didn't sound good at 440Hz, it will not sound better at 432Hz.In fact, by the poor logic of some of the pro-432Hz articles, why stop at tuning down 8Hz? Surely it would sound better at 431Hz then? 429Hz? 420Hz?See what I mean, it just gets more and more ridiculous and absurd.Read this thread toohttp://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/57796-432-hz.html You'll notice a member called "GandalfDaBlack" who joined the forum just to push the 432Hz  theory(as well as that idiot Brian T Collins, who made an account called "432Hz" just to plug his article)None of his arguments make any sense and you know what?At the end of the day, everyone just kept enjoying music, regardless of whether the guitars/bass guitars were tuned to C standard 430Hz, Bb standard 442Hz or drop A 437Hz.

I must admit I'm starting to get a bit angry here. You discard information because of the fact it doesn't make sense.

You remind me of something (Holland, 19th century, a man speaks: 'hey a train, it must be from hell, we'll die going faster then 25 km/h, blablabla'). Don't understanding something doesn't give you any right to judge.

And besides this, you happen to get the wrong men in front of you. If you had known anything about quantum mechanics and related objects, anything about wave interference or anything about the difference between the sensory and the scientific 'wave/energy/matter' world you might have had the right to speak. But I guess you don't have that. Because if you would have, you would have known that all major sensory and processing activity of the brain and sensors of the human body work with (electronic) waves. They also have proven to be adjusted by forces from outside. Healing with sound has occurred in almost every great civilization. The Egyptians build complete temples with rooms that were designed to vibrate in in certain pitches.

It is very likely that by making music that interferes with certain parts of our brain gives a an effect. No non-sense, just science.

And besides that, this forum was intended to be an experiment and your mockery might have ruined it. You speak about people 'with their brain-dead articles', but you use articles your-self too that might be as 'brain-dead'as the others. Can you smell the difference?

Conclusion. Let me please continue my experiment and let's discuss this (if you feel the need) with private messages or in an own topic.
Atomicunderware View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:48
Unfortunately I think for this to really have any impact the instruments would need to be tuned using 432Hz prior to them being tracked. Interesting concept though, I had never heard of this before, I just took 440Hz for granted...

Not quite sure what modern mastering techniques have to do with the discussion, but there you go...
Froghead
---
Esoteric - www.bereft.co.uk
Pantheist - www.pantheist.co.uk
Kojak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 09:59
Does this touch upon the binaural, monaural and isochronic beats effect..?? I mean, like a similar effect?
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:00
Originally posted by Kojak Kojak wrote:

Does this touch upon the binaural, monaural and isochronic beats effect..?? I mean, like a similar effect?

Question not understood here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>