Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 432 hz effect.. please help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:22
Originally posted by Atomicunderware Atomicunderware wrote:

Unfortunately I think for this to really have any impact the instruments would need to be tuned using 432Hz prior to them being tracked. Interesting concept though, I had never heard of this before, I just took 440Hz for granted...

Not quite sure what modern mastering techniques have to do with the discussion, but there you go...

If you bothered to read my post, I was talking about how gullible some of the members of PA are, and how it kinda throws out the window the idea that all "proggers" are intellectuals.
My idea of an intellectual is not that of someone who just reads any random article written with a bunch of unfounded garbage and just believes it because they're told it's true.
RoyFairbank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 10:25
As a non-musician this makes no sense. The original was a better version of Marooned but mainly because it was higher-quality.Tongue

I'm quite happy however they've been tuning it after the 40s, I don't have a single thing before 1950 on my player.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 11:24
Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Unfortunately I think for this to really have any impact the instruments would need to be tuned using 432Hz prior to them being tracked. Interesting concept though, I had never heard of this before, I just took 440Hz for granted...

Not quite sure what modern mastering techniques have to do with the discussion, but there you go...

If you bothered to read my post, I was talking about how gullible some of the members of PA are, and how it kinda throws out the window the idea that all "proggers" are intellectuals.
My idea of an intellectual is not that of someone who just reads any random article written with a bunch of unfounded garbage and just believes it because they're told it's true.

I would say that Friso has proven that he is not gullible in this sense - he is actually performing a test on these forums to find out if what he has read is true or false, instead of taking it on faith. That seems like the definition of science / verifying what he's heard to me.

I tried listening to both and didn't notice any huge difference between the two at all to be honest - I noticed a feel of slight more calm listening to the 432 one but I'm not sure if that's because my brain expected me to or not. I recommend finding a way to test this effect without letting people know what it is your testing, so you that this effect is avoided. Also, testing it in different orders (432 first/440 after) etc. with different people.

Edited by TheGazzardian - June 30 2010 at 11:31
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 13:11

Okay, a thing or two for all of you who either believe or not in this theory. Read it, damn.

1. A certain frequency (yes, even the frequency of the sound) can have effect on objects and living creatures, including humans, furthermore including human thoughts, state of mind and indirectly, health.

2. A frequency of 432 Hz is absolutely irrelevant on that matter.

A 'frequency healing' is often lumped together with other modern movements and philosophic schools such are New Age, alternative therapies, neuro-linguistic programming, transcendental meditations, various methods of self-help and so on. Add into that crystallotherpay, aromatherapy, homeopathy, pyramidal forces and other things.

99% of all that is rubbish.

The problem is to determine which one percent is right.

Some things are undeniably utter bullsh*t, such is astrology.

Some things might have some scientific plausibility. Ideas about UFOs, flying saucers, is overblown and naive, but the idea of a extraterrestrial life form is worthy of debating, even from the purely scientific point of view.

The idea of 'life energy flow' which is elan vital in Europe, chi in China and prana in India is something I don't believe in, but I'm ready to remain open upon that issue.

I won't touch the issue of spirituality, afterlife and religion here.

I am a humanist and scientific skeptic that ask for scientific proof and verification. However, it seems that some non-scientific methods do work for people; perhaps it's all delusion, hoax and placebo, perhaps not. I do not know, and I do not pretend to understand.

Romantic mysticism could be charming, but false theories need to be busted; the others which are valid will be proven one day. That's about it. There's no magic, just nature.

Now onto the frequency thing.

There's a plethora of methods, tapes, software and what not; binaural beats, brainwave synchronizers etc.

They do work. But do they work properly? What they do exactly?

Exhibit A.

It's possible to listen to a certain pulsating frequency that will effect the listener: our brain is working in various frequencies: some ranges of those are labeled Alpha waves, Beta, Theta and so on. They change with emotions and other things human brain can evoke.

Indeed listening to that can evoke hypnosis and trance in a person, perhaps help one to focus on studying, or becoming more self-confident. Indirectly, it will affect one's digestion, blood pressure and overall health.

But it's not that easy. or simple. and not entirely true.

It follows the assumption the human brain is in A mode (frequency)  when it's sleepy, in B mode when it's focused, C mode when it's angry. Which is true to a degree (even high degree, some 80 to 90%), but not entirely. In fact sometimes it manifests itself in opposite, worse yet, unpredictable parameters than set as a hazy standards in neurology.

The pattern is just too complicated and seemingly random to be encapsulated.

We can imagine a brain as a set of 1000000000 switches, but there's no way brain will be happy/melancholic/euphoric  by simply turning a certain set of switches on or off.

I won't instantly reject the idea of frequency healing as wrong, but rather insuficcient enough to be effective.

One day in the future, it might became possible: with a brain scan of an individual you'll be able to determine which frequency can help in which way. The itself is not nonsense. But the idea it can effectively be benefitial today, while it's still psychobabble rather than science, is to be approached with extreme caution.

What about dirrect effect of music on body's health?

Exhibit B.

Even less plausible. Human individuals are different. If you hit a wine glass (or spin your wet finger on the edge of the glass), it will produce a sound (everything has a resonance frequency). If you hit a bigger wine glass, it will produce different sound. Hit my rib cage, it will produce different frequency than yours. Air in my lungs, plasma in my body, nerves transmitting electricity - they're all ever-changing, individual, different.

Exhibit C.

Even if it's all true - even if it can affect human health precisely - even if the frequency of 432 Hz is ideal for (all) humans (lower frequency makes more sense, our bodies are bags filled with water), for whatever reason, (and please don't slap me with quantum mysticism here):

i. The music is not repetition of a single tone. There are chords (producing aliquote tones and overtones), there are scales (chromatic frequency is rising exponentially by a 12th root of two), there are song in different keys, there are bursts of hiss (wind instruments and cymbals) which have a frequency spectrum of the entire scale.

ii. Why exactly 432 Hz? Someone mentioned relation with a golden ratio. How is that relevant?

ii.a 432 either divided or multiplied with 1,61803399 give an nearly-integer, which is an interesting property, but a property of phi (golden ratio), not 432. You can try any sequence of numbers to multiply or divide with phi, and see how the sequence convergence it's near-integerity. Surely the value of 432 gives some (arbitary) rounded numbers, but that's only because of our convention, base 10.
ii.b Hertz itself is defined as a cycle per second and second is arbitrary and self-referential unit with no foundation in physical constants.

In conclusion, I won't dismiss the idea of frequency affecting humans, but the knowledge about that is too vague and minimal, and a frequency of 432 Hz seems even less relevant.

I'm more than willing to see your feedback and perhaps learn something if I'm wrong in my observation.

Edited by clarke2001 - June 30 2010 at 13:13
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 13:17
What about the brown note? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 14:02
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

1. A certain frequency (yes, even the frequency of the sound) can have effect on objects and living creatures, including humans, furthermore including human thoughts, state of mind and indirectly, health.

This is correct. Every material object and being has resonant frequencies, whether it is a crystal glass, or the skull of an animal. Our sinuses, inner ears, etc., all vibrate to different frequencies, and is a major reason why some music can be wonderful to some and annoying to others.

As for Petrovks comments, all are invalidated by his denial that compression can have a distinct effect on the listening experience. When poorly done, compression can fatigue the listener's hearing, and when done properly, can enhance the listening experience. Anyone with any modicum of training in audio engineering knows this.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 14:09
The frequencies in Jimi Hendrix's Valleys Of Neptune are awful, I've been struggling all day with an incredible headache after listening to that AngryDead
yanch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 14:25
Did not notice any difference between them. Nice mellow Floyd track, that's all.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 14:37
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL

To be honest that's what I thought of when I first saw this thread title, except the "brown note"* is much lower in frequency.

* and is a myth.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 14:38
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

LOL

To be honest that's what I thought of when I first saw this thread title, except the "brown note"* is much lower in frequency.

* and is a myth.

That has been busted.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 15:11
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

If you bothered to read my post, I was talking about how gullible some of the members of PA are, and how it kinda throws out the window the idea that all "proggers" are intellectuals.My idea of an intellectual is not that of someone who just reads any random article written with a bunch of unfounded garbage and just believes it because they're told it's true.

I would say that Friso has proven that he is not gullible in this sense - he is actually performing a test on these forums to find out if what he has read is true or false, instead of taking it on faith. That seems like the definition of science / verifying what he's heard to me.
I tried listening to both and didn't notice any huge difference between the two at all to be honest - I noticed a feel of slight more calm listening to the 432 one but I'm not sure if that's because my brain expected me to or not. I recommend finding a way to test this effect without letting people know what it is your testing, so you that this effect is avoided. Also, testing it in different orders (432 first/440 after) etc. with different people.

I totally agree! There are way better listening-test available. The fact you hear the difference in pitch makes it however hard to hide which sample is heard.

Why 432 Hz? Because it has been used for more then two thousand years all over the world. Furthermore I find it interesting that people think ancient civilizations would go threw so much as building complete concrete temples out of amazingly heavy rock to build a sound-resonating system that has no use at all. Why always see ancient people ;ole Egyptians as imbeciles? Let's try to find out if they were perhaps right! That's what this experiment is about.

Furthermore I don't thing it has anything to do with figures. The Hz is based on the second and the second is a human invention that has no logical or important length in physics.

And finally... there's a small range in the electro magnetic radiation we call 'light', to witch we respond best. There are a certain amounts of smell's we can decipher best. Why not a certain frequency for sound?

Edited by friso - June 30 2010 at 15:14
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 15:16
I have studied art history, and never encountered the affirmation that ancient architecture ever had explored resonance. I am referring to academical literature on the matter, of course. That sounds interesting, I'll investigate.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 15:21
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

If you bothered to read my post, I was talking about how gullible some of the members of PA are, and how it kinda throws out the window the idea that all "proggers" are intellectuals.My idea of an intellectual is not that of someone who just reads any random article written with a bunch of unfounded garbage and just believes it because they're told it's true.

I totally agree! There are way better listening-test available. The fact you hear the difference in pitch makes it however hard to hide which sample is heard.

Why 432 Hz? Because it has been used for more then two thousand years all over the world. Furthermore I find it interesting that people think ancient civilizations would go threw so much as building complete concrete temples out of amazingly heavy rock to build a sound-resonating system that has no use at all. Why always see ancient people ;ole Egyptians as imbeciles? Let's try to find out if they were perhaps right! That's what this experiment is about.

Furthermore I don't thing it has anything to do with figures. The Hz is based on the second and the second is a human invention that has no logical or important length in physics.

And finally... there's a small range in the electro magnetic radiation we call 'light', to witch we respond best. There are a certain amounts of smell's we can decipher best. Why not a certain frequency for sound?

To go with your light analogy, there is - it's (very roughly) 20 Hz - 20 kHz

It's not like there's a single color that has any magical properties
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 16:16
^ I never mentioned magical properties. I do not believe in any form of magic. I believe in a natural resonance that might work better with the human body than others.

As with the light spectrum.. there's one wave-length that influences water molecules to start moving and rise in energy. This makes a micro-wave work. This is also a form of interference on a specific wave-length.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 16:32

thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2010 at 23:26
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I have studied art history, and never encountered the affirmation that ancient architecture ever had explored resonance. I am referring to academical literature on the matter, of course. That sounds interesting, I'll investigate.

If you read Vitruvius' Ten Books of Architecture (the most ancient and one of the most definitive works on the subject) there is actually a great deal about resonance chambers being placed in auditoriums. Not being a physicist, much of it was over my head, but it's worth checking out.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 03:47

But having made my own recordings and getting them to sound fairly loud (not as smashed as the most smashed of today's stuff, but still pretty loud), I understand it's a process that starts from playing tightly, tracking at appropriate levels, getting the frequency balance in the mix right, using clipping to tame transients on drum tracks, and further using clipping to tame transients to keep stuff out of the red zone, and that compression is only really used for shaping the attack, release, sustain or general tonality of an element in the mix and not as some kind of loudness booster.

Indeed - but in saying this, you indicate that you recognise the issues of over-compression, which certainly seems to be fashionable these days. *cough Metallica cough*

http://www.omega432.com/music.html

The opening paragraphs for example

"

432hz vibrates on the principals of the golden mean PHI and unifies the properties of light, time, space, matter, gravity and magnetism with biology, the DNA code and consciousness.

432hz Natural Tuning has profound effects on consciousness and also on the cellular level of our bodies.
By retuning musical instruments and using concert pitch at 432 hertz instead of 440 hertz, your atoms and DNA starts to resonate in harmony with the PHI spiral of nature."

Does anyone here that possesses a brain, actually believe/buy into that?

Tell me, someone, honestly tell me you think that isn't one of the most absurd and ridiculous things you've read in your life.

Made me laugh, I must admit!

However the music was written, in whatever tuning, was how the artist intended for you to enjoy it.
If it didn't sound good at 440Hz, it will not sound better at 432Hz.

Yet someone had the genius idea of releasing Miles' "Kind of Blue" almost a semitone lower than Miles played it - and it's a classic.

The pitch CAN affect the overall sound, postively or negatively, but I'm not going to get all scientific just yet - surely it's obvious?

Read this thread too

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/general-music-discussion/57796-432-hz.html

You'll notice a member called "GandalfDaBlack" who joined the forum just to push the 432Hz  theory(as well as that idiot Brian T Collins, who made an account called "432Hz" just to plug his article)
None of his arguments make any sense and you know what?
At the end of the day, everyone just kept enjoying music, regardless of whether the guitars/bass guitars were tuned to C standard 430Hz, Bb standard 442Hz or drop A 437Hz.

Just because someones arguments are poor, it doesn't mean that there isn't anything scientifically provable behind them. I dojn't see a problem with testing a theory scientifically - and if the science proves that the theories are hokum, then that's just as good as proving that they're sound in principle.

True. Ultimately we are just big clumps of atoms all virating furiously at whatever mean tempo we are vibrating at, and must respond to external vibrations.

Not necessarily.

A 'frequency healing' is often lumped together with other modern movements and philosophic schools such are New Age, alternative therapies, neuro-linguistic programming, transcendental meditations, various methods of self-help and so on. Add into that crystallotherpay, aromatherapy, homeopathy, pyramidal forces and other things.

99% of all that is rubbish.

So very, very true.

The idea of 'life energy flow' which is elan vital in Europe, chi in China and prana in India is something I don't believe in, but I'm ready to remain open upon that issue.

How about the energy flow of atoms or subatomic particles, particularly massless ones, which exist more or less in energy form?

Romantic mysticism could be charming, but false theories need to be busted; the others which are valid will be proven one day. That's about it. There's no magic, just nature.

Oh, I don't know... but let's not go there this time Wink

In conclusion, I won't dismiss the idea of frequency affecting humans, but the knowledge about that is too vague and minimal, and a frequency of 432 Hz seems even less relevant.

I think that the key assumed point here is that A=432Hz, and the other notes are relative - but I guess that's moot - I agree, and the scientific observations I made above are good indications that, as we're all different and music demonstrably affects different people in different ways on different occasions, we cannot therefore specify any "golden frequency" or "silver bullet" that will heal everybody, even if it were verifiably true that it works (but as with most new age "medicine", I would strongly suspect that it's 99.999999% placebo).

Why 432 Hz? Because it has been used for more then two thousand years all over the world. Furthermore I find it interesting that people think ancient civilizations would go threw so much as building complete concrete temples out of amazingly heavy rock to build a sound-resonating system that has no use at all.

Some ancient civilisations believed that the world is flat...

The real question here is why was it used for more than two thousand years?

Another, related question would be "If cannabis has been used for over 8000 years, why don't we all smoke it now?"

Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

If you read Vitruvius' Ten Books of Architecture (the most ancient and one of the most definitive works on the subject) there is actually a great deal about resonance chambers being placed in auditoriums. Not being a physicist, much of it was over my head, but it's worth checking out.

I was lucky enough to be at college in Northampton, where one of only a tiny handful of Saxon round churches exists - and I was priveleged to perform in it. The acoustics were so astonishing, that you'd have a hard time convincing me that the Saxons didn't design and build it like that principally for the acoustic properties. It's an incredibly ambient and peaceful church... Wink

Edited by Certif1ed - July 01 2010 at 03:50
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
mono View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 03:54
As we are all physically different, I find rather unplausible that a certain pitch would be globally considered as <place your feeling here>.
One simple and true effect of sound waves (or waves in general) is the one of very low frequencies played at high level (which requires quite some power, and sometimes are impossible to reproduce).
These make (no particular frequency values) our BODY (not the brain or any quirky "element") resonnate and have some interesting effects, like infrabass making the thorax shiver etc...
The brown noise "idea" comes from here, and is not completely stupid, as different parts of our body, like any other object have resonnance frequencies (that are different for different body shapes of course), and these are funny to experiment with. I wouldn't be surprised if, after a day of experimentation in a lab that can reproduce 10- Hz frequencies, engineers could find a frequency that makes a particular subject lose blatter control :).
For example, some sub-20Hz frequencies played "loud" (even if not audible) can make you feel veeery uncomfortable (physically) due to vibrations of some of your body parts (the biggest ones :) ).

Edited by mono - July 01 2010 at 03:56
https://soundcloud.com/why-music Prog trio, from ambiant to violence
https://soundcloud.com/m0n0-film Film music and production projects
https://soundcloud.com/fadisaliba (almost) everything else
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 11:52

^ I never mentioned magical properties. I do not believe in any form of magic. I believe in a natural resonance that might work better with the human body than others.

Good luck with that.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2010 at 12:15
Quote Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski

But having made my own recordings and getting them to sound fairly loud (not as smashed as the most smashed of today's stuff, but still pretty loud), I understand it's a process that starts from playing tightly, tracking at appropriate levels, getting the frequency balance in the mix right, using clipping to tame transients on drum tracks, and further using clipping to tame transients to keep stuff out of the red zone, and that compression is only really used for shaping the attack, release, sustain or general tonality of an element in the mix and not as some kind of loudness booster.

Your description of compression is correct (other than the use of the term clipping - you don't want anything to clip or you will get unwanted distortion), but one of the most important elements in the mastering processing chain is Limiting, which is a specialized compressor designed to maximize the loudness of the track. This is used in all modern masters to bring it up to broadcast levels consistent with other releases, and is what is being misused in the aforementioned loudness war.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>