Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarco Ciargo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marco Ciargo
    Posted: July 02 2010 at 14:11
POEMA SINFÓNICO ELÉCTRICO

Marco Ciargo was born to Italian parents in Caracas, Venezuela on July 17, 1961.

Although it was his big brother who started with guitar lessons, soon after also Marco developed a passion for the guitar and asked his brother for lessons.

At first he learned to play classic guitar but soon his interest changed more and more into music from rock groups like "King Crimson", Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple. To sound more like the bands he came to admire, he even turned his classic guitar into an electrical one by installing a hi-fi microphone inside it.

At the age of fifteen his grandfather gave him his first real electrical guitar and a little amplifier. This turned out to be the beginning of an impressive musical career. With his first band Marco started to compose his own themes. His first performance on TV was in 1977, also with a self composed instrumental theme. By the end of 1977 he started a band with a friend and bass-player, joined by a drummer and a vocalist with a repertory of his own themes and those from Led Zeppelin.

In September 1978 he moved to Italy to study at the University of Florence. Then in February 1979 at the age of seventeen he traveled to Lion, France, to finally see Queen on stage. His stay in Europe greatly enhanced his musical aspirations.

When he returned to Venezuela in September 1979 he formed a band with his old friend and continued his studies in Caracas Metropolitan University. There he met Cesar Somoza and Ricardo Escobar and after a long conversation about music they invited him to play in Resistencia.

Resistencia showed from their very first performances to have all the potential to become a powerful band. They were original and authentic and released three albums "Hecho en Venezuela" (1988), "Estrategias contra el movimiento" (1983) and "Da Capo" (1984).

Marco also collaborated in the rock opera "Las Lanzas coloradas", a novel from the Venezuelan writer Arturo Uslar Pietri and in a song together with Simon Diaz, the most important musician, composer and singer of the Venezuelan popular music style.

In 1985 Marco and singer Cesar Somoza composed together the fourth work of Resistencia, a rock opera named "Zodiaco", which was not released because it was considered “not commercial” according to the labels managers.

In 1987 Resistencia recorded its fifths work that would unfortunately also stay unreleased. That same year Marco left the band and started to work on his own material. Due to the bad socio-economical and political situation Marco began to think about leaving for Europe again. This being only encouraged by his wish to introduce his music to a broader audience. In July 1989 Resistencia gathered one last time for a good-bye concert.

Resistencia was probably the best of all old Latin American Metal bands, not to mention one of the first and most influential.

Finally in July 1989 Marco moved to Florence, Italy, together with his wife his son. The period that followed the move to Italy mainly focused on family life, but Marco still visited concerts, played with different bands and continued to work on his own compositions.

In 2003 the family established itself in Madrid in order to give a new direction to theirs lives. Marco continued to be an active composer and in 2007 he released the first six minutes of the Poema Sinfónico Eléctrico through his Myspace website. Even though being very particular, the theme was received with many positives reviews culminating two years later in a work of orchestra, choir and electrical guitar music of 50 minutes of length in total.

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 14:32
Thanks, will check.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2010 at 15:45
It's promising, but I'd like to check something more as this orchestral piece is too few for me to decide if I like him or not. Regardless liking or not, this is symphonic prog for me.....at least symphonic Smile 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 05:42
Orchestral music with some electric instruments... Hmm. Any other opinions?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:08
Here's his myspace which, I think, has the whole album.: http://www.myspace.com/marcociargo
If it were up to me, this would be added.  I'll mention it to Symph.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:22

I believe this is some form of Neo Classical played with some electric instruments, no way Symphonic (Again, the use of Orchestra alone is not Symphonic necesarilly), I believe that Prog Related at the best.

Iván

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 13:32
Thanks Ivan.  I didn't expect you to accept it -- it's the kind of music I would include in PA if it were up to me (wouldn't mind it in PR, but that category is very difficult to get into, of course).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nancy Liliana View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2010 at 08:30
Here something else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvLetx6Mf4

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2010 at 05:19
Originally posted by Nancy Liliana Nancy Liliana wrote:

Here something else...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvLetx6Mf4

This movement is symphonic prog IMO. There's also a short sequence of notess that reminds to Neal Morse's "The Door".
Of course, this is not completely fitting the genre. I can see newage influences like in some of the Wakeman's productions of the 90s. 

I don't know if he will be added to PA, but I'll likely get his album. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply