Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUlver Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ulver Suggestions
    Posted: July 11 2010 at 03:58
^YEP, definitely go for Themes... it is one of the most innovative albums I have ever heard. I was completely blown away. Even the artwork is perfect. A very nice blend of extreme music (at a few instances), really dark melodies and electronic elements (I am not a fan of electro but this is sth different...)
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 08:13
Thank you for your suggestions! Is there anybody else?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 20:30
If you like black metal their first album Bergtatt is absolutely necessary. Progressive black metal like no other. Their third, Nattens Madrigal, is much more pure unrelenting black metal (read:non-proggresive), though from what I hear its a masterpiece of the genre. If you like the dark folky acoustic side of black metal (or cold scandinavian-like folk music) then  Kveldssanger is sure to please.

As for their non-metal works...Blood Inside is a good next step. More energy/wildness than Shadows, but probably my favorite album from them. If you want something a little more similar to Shadows..., the soundtrack Svidd Neger I find to be excellent (much better than the rating on the site leads it to be) and their EP A Quick Fix Of Melancholy is fantastic as well.

Perdition City - Music To An Interior Film and Themes From William Blake's The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell are both excellent as well and can replace Blood Inside in my above recommendation, though perhaps BI is a better place to explore first. (Really a judgement call as to which of these three is the one you should go after first IMO.) This leaves Lyckantropen Themes...a very different album...much more minimalism influenced, though still plenty of thhat Ulver feel. It is a bit on the calm side (like Shadows...) so perhaps you will like it more than me. (Not to say its a bad album, I just find the rest of their work more enjoyable at this time).
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 16:37
I'd go with Perdition City - their best album imo. If you like that, move onto Blood Inside and Themes... I'm not a huge fan of black metal though, so my opinions on their early albums won't help.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 09:38
The only other Ulver album I've heard is Blood Inside and thats a very good album, a bit more rock than Shadows... but still has some of the feel, well worth getting.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 07:54
I just listened to Shadows Of The Sun and I loved it. I was wondering which album should I get next from this band. Remember I do like Black Metal, so don't hesitate in suggesting one of their first albums. 
 Post Reply Post Reply