FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwere Tears for Fears influenced by Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 12:52
The first album I heard was their debut.  I had to get the deluxe box set recently for the live DVD, in particular. I had a copy of it on VHS but it crapped out before I could make a DVD copy.  It's a really nice blend of prog and pop.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2014 at 13:17
I couldn't tell you if they were "officially" prog or not, but I do love Tears for Fears.
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
johan15 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 12:35
Those photos of Curt at the Discipline gig are utterly fantastic! Thank you for posting those.

Roland and Curt pushed the envelope so hard. I'm a hardcore fan of mainly the first 2 LPs and love the prog-laced undertones. "The Working Hour," "Listen," and "Start of the Breakdown" are some examples.

Their use of the PPG Wave synthesizer, Fairlight CMI, Prophet 5, Jupiter 8, and Yamaha CP-70 piano also provide a sonic link to Peter Gabriel's output at the time as well as a physical link to both being located in Bath. Apparently Roland said the first day he met with David Lord to work on the first single before The Hurting Gabriel was at the studio and he was speechless.  

Edited by johan15 - November 21 2015 at 12:37
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 06:41
I have listened to SFTBC (my sister still has all her beautiful vinyl from the 80's) and it's mostly a decent listen - as far as Prog goes - I find about as much Prog in it as I do with Kajagoogoo (my preferred New-Wave 80's act) - and if you didn't know what Prog was, you wouldn't pick up on it (or imagine to). Their drummer on the album (Manny Elias) often appeared on later Peter Hammill albums !!
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 10:42
I once heard someone on the radio say that if you put The Beatles and ELO together, you'd get Sowing the Seeds of Love. Which pretty much nails it, imo. The structure of that song is impressive, too. The way you think the chorus is coming back after a standard bridge section (Roland even says "Chorus!" in the background), then suddenly (with an "OK!") the song veers off into a new bridge (organ solo, then "Time to eat all your words") before the chorus properly comes back in.

Their cover of Robert Wyatt's Sea Song is also very much worth a listen.

Edited by RoeDent - November 25 2015 at 10:45
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 01:56

Aging gracefully, this great band (or duo) have never been shy of using various influences in their music; Jazz, experimental, blues, and yes, in some songs at least some hints of a prog sound.
"Advice For The Young At Heart" is my favorite song by them.

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 02:32
There's possibly some Prog in Madonna's work, if you look really, really hard.........
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 04:00
Influenced by prog without actually being a prog band, but their music was well-played intelligent pop with interesting instrumentation and thoughtful production, with smart lyrics and great vocals as well, and there was a nice darker undercurrent to much of their stuff. Their debut `The Hurting' is exceptional, and if all pop-music was that good and clever, many prog-snobs wouldn't find the term such a dirty word!

And I guarantee, Tom, they're a hundred million bagillion squillion zillion times more prog than f*cking Kanja-Roo-Poo!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 04:17
^ Why do I not believe you ?? Try playing Beggs' bass-lines, and the multi-layered synth textures...........
....Kanja-roo-poo or not, they are superb at what they do, just like this mind-numbing Tech-Metal arrangement - Meshuggah nailed it, and no-one measures up to them. Looks like I'm ready for the 'growling' Opeth albums...............
So, what I'm getting at, in my idiotic glory, the 'Goo lead the way, Limahl or not......You dig Magma ? You should dig Meshuggah - more Zeuhl than cheesy Death-Metal, Black-Metal or whatever...........
........and this post is just demonstrating the extreme umbrella of cleverly, diverse music that is out there.    
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 04:29
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Why do I not believe you ?? Try playing Beggs' bass-lines, and the multi-layered synth textures...........
....Kanja-roo-poo or not, they are superb at what they do, just like this mind-numbing Tech-Metal arrangement - Meshuggah nailed it, and no-one measures up to them. Looks like I'm ready for the 'growling' Opeth albums...............
So, what I'm getting at, in my idiotic glory, the 'Goo lead the way, Limahl or not......You dig Magma ? You should dig Meshuggah - more Zeuhl than cheesy Death-Metal, Black-Metal or whatever...........
........and this post is just demonstrating the extreme umbrella of cleverly, diverse music that is out there.    

Oh, look, man, after all these months...I get it, I seriously do. If it's not Kangajoogooo, it's Meshuggah. But good on you for running with it, man, if it means that much to you. You don't have to justify it, if you dig it, you dig it. sh*t, I posted about my freaking love of the `Josie and the Pussyctas' movie soundtrack a few days back on some thread

But anyway, then I hear this, and the inventive use of keyboards, the terrific bass playing, the jangling guitar chords, the cool programming, the sax solo, the thoughtful lyrics, the restrained vocals...Tears for Fears are definitely at the top of the smart pop music chain for me. Pop perfection to my ears.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 04:53
^ Mike, don't fret buddy, I thought Big Chair is quite an album, no doubt. But there are just certain elements that I, personally, focus on. And those are the things I focus on within certain music. It's all with a grain of dust.......don't get angry with me..........
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 08:49
I hear more of a general art-rock influence rather than prog specifically (say somewhat along the lines of the Magazine track Parade).  As far as preferences, I find some of their songs very interesting but mostly too 80s for my taste.  It is not what I'd think of as 80s music that's aged well (as opposed to Aztec Camera, Prefab Sprout, even Police).
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 09:04
To me there is some retro flavers in their otherwise very typical 80's pop/wave/rock. But there is a long way from that, to a generalt Prog influence, not to mention talking about them beeing prog.

Have to want it a lot, to find anything remotely GG'ish.   

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2015 at 09:15
Indeed, four man Genesis would be a stretch and GG is likes poles apart.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 10:26
Although it's a stretch, I believe Tears for Fears was influenced by Prog.  I also think TFF, XTC, and Talk Talk have influenced some modern prog.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12