Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Red Jasper recording new album for release in 2011
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRed Jasper recording new album for release in 2011

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Jasper recording new album for release in 2011
    Posted: July 16 2010 at 02:18
Looks like the good old folk-progers Red Jasper are up and running again, which makes me very happy \o/ New album is hopefully due for release in early 2011. It's even got a title: The Great and Secret Show.

http://www.liveprog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:red-jasper-album-title-revealed&catid=3:news&Itemid=3

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 04:47

This is fantastic news for me! Red Jasper is an extremely underrated band on the borderline between Prog Folk and Neo-Prog. Let's hope their earlier albums will be re-released as well as they are now hard to get on CD.
sampo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 06:04
Agreed! Luckily I've managed to track down their CDs, although it was't an easy task. Easily one of the most underrated prog bands of the 90s if you ask me. This will be great, I'm sure of it!
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 12:13
ha! i remember having seen these boys play in a pub in bedfordshire in 1990. bought their then new release “sting in the tale“ off them directly that evening, replete with signing and a merry round of drinks afterwards – still a charming release. so they're still around – power to them!
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Clepsydra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2010 at 16:23
Lets hope they reissue their catalog!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 06:56
Originally posted by sampo sampo wrote:

Agreed! Luckily I've managed to track down their CDs, although it was't an easy task. Easily one of the most underrated prog bands of the 90s if you ask me. This will be great, I'm sure of it!

Can I ask where you found the CDs and much you had to pay for them?

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2010 at 12:00
that's great news!  I'm still looking for anagramary, but Midsummer Night's Dream and Winter Tale are both wonderful.  Very underrated - or perhaps overlooked would be more accurate - group on the border between neo and folk.
looks like the lead singer Davey Dodds isn't there, and his amazing baritone was a big part of their sound

Edited by kenethlevine - July 18 2010 at 12:03
sampo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:00
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Sure. I don't have the exact figures, but I found "A Midsummer Night's Dream" on ebay for $15-16. I found both "Sting in the Tale" ($25) and "The Winter's Tale" (~$45) on gemm.com, same seller and both were close to new/mint. "Anagramary" was actually a trade from a user on this forum, whereas I gave away Rush's "Caress of Steel" (a good trade for me, as I can easily pick up Rush again). The most lucky one was "Action Replay", which I spoted on a local market in town for $3 (!!). The seller had no idea what it was. Hence the prize I guess, because that's not a record you run into everyday.

These were the CDs. The debut, which has only been issued on vinyl, was actually bought directly from Dave (the drummer) for a friendly prize.

Edited by sampo - July 19 2010 at 11:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 15:00
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

that's great news!  I'm still looking for anagramary, but Midsummer Night's Dream and Winter Tale are both wonderful.  Very underrated - or perhaps overlooked would be more accurate - group on the border between neo and folk.
looks like the lead singer Davey Dodds isn't there, and his amazing baritone was a big part of their sound

Ken, I agree with you (as I often do) that Dodds has an amazing voice that was a big part of Red Jasper's sound. I didn't know he wasn't part of the band anymore (if it is true). I would still be interested in hearing a new album from the band, though.

Anagramary is very good too, but different from the other albums - much less Folk, much more Neo (see my review). Anagramary should be the easiest to find on CD and it is the only one I myself own on CD.

In my opinion, A Midsummer Night's Dream is a masterpiece (5 stars!); A Winter's Tale is not far behind (4,5 stars) and Anagramary is also very good (4 stars).

I did buy Sting Of The Tale on vinyl LP (as I couldn't find it on CD), but unfortunately it didn't play properly Angry
I would love to find it on CD for a reasonable price.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2010 at 15:05

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Sure. I don't have the exact figures, but I found "A Midsummer Night's Dream" on ebay for $15-16. I found both "Sting in the Tale" ($25) and "The Winter's Tale" (~$45) on gemm.com, same seller and both were close to new/mint. "Anagramary" was actually a trade from a user on this forum, whereas I gave away Rush's "Caress of Steel" (a good trade for me, as I can easily pick up Rush again). The most lucky one was "Action Replay", which I spoted on a local market in town for $3 (!!). The seller had no idea what it was. Hence the prize I guess, because that's not a record you run into everyday.

These were the CDs. The debut, which has only been issued on vinyl, was actually bought directly from Dave (the drummer) for a friendly prize.

Ok, not much hope of going through the same channels then, but I will keep on trying. Thanks anyway!

Post Reply Post Reply