Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2011 at 20:59
Listened to Rocky's Filj twice today.I will as long as i live think of Todd when i play this.It's funny but i like the four shorter tracks more than the long opening song,but they're all so good.Love the horns in this one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 14:24
For Milton, yes. But I didn't know Jose Cid. I'm going to listen to it quickly.

Here's a link to the island :

Nice dreams. Pierre.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 14:02
Oh my god - there is so much music I´ll need to get my hands on. This is crazy! But thank you very much for the recommendations, because I am too a sucker for South American music. Do you by any chance know of this little beauty:

Milton Nascimento  

and (well Portuguese Jose Cid) this magnificent album?  

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 13:45
Thanks David and everyone for these kind words.
So the frog with a duck body is going to speak again.
I don't forget we are here in italy. Another parallel with RPI. and probably the most italian of all the brazilian albums : Per un pugno di samba (1970), a magic collaboration between Chico Buarque and Il Maestro Morricone.

Hope you like it.

Best wishes. Pierre.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 13:25
It´s funny how big a difference there is when Areknames suddenly gets played live in 1982. It´s so gentle compared to the more nervous and angst-filled studio version:

This is pretty sweet as well:

Pretty neat version - with Franco turning some knobs around.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 13:00
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Hello everyone.

First, my apologies. I’m a frog. My english is terrible. So I’m just here to say hello... and goodbye.    

I’m not in prog, not more than in classical, pop, rock, jazz, soundtrack or brazilian stuffs.

A year ago, looking for new music, I started to listen to RPI albums of the seventies. Gosh ! What a revelation !  What an elevation ! I didn’t expect this. Not at all. “Those painters, those sculptors ... just as in Renaissance Italy.”

BMS, PFM, Le Orme, QVL, Stefano Testa, Panna Fedda, Cervello, Battiato, Odissea, Samadhi, Delirium, Alusa Fallax, I Giganti ... and so many others.

As in a Gustav Mahler’s symphony, I was not only listenning with my ears, but with my eyes. Both were wide open. It was a miracle, or maybe not. These sounds, shapes and colors were waiting for me. I was just looking in another direction.

So thanks to you, Jim,  Andrea and everyone for the great help. Reading you was very important these last twelve months. And I’m sure there’s many more to come. Rencently I’ve heard samples from albums by La Assemblea Musicale Teatrale, Gramigna or Barabba. They sound terrific and I can’t wait for CD’s reissues and your reviews.

Before I shut my mouth, I would like to give you some titles of albums with  a RPI flavour :

These Trails . These Trails (1974). A folk band from Hawai. Very strange. Great accoustic guitar and synths. Fantastic vocal harmonies.

Melody Nelson : Serge Gainsbourg (1968). A true prog album and the most terrific violins arrangements you will hear in your life.

Eden’s Island. Eden Ahbez (1960). The composer of Nature Boy. Simplicity and beauty. Not a disc for the desert island. The desert island itself.

Goodbye ... and hello.

Pierre.

Hello Pierre and welcome to the forum. I am also all over the place when it comes down to music. Simply saying one likes prog doesn´t suffice at all. If music moves me, then there you go - I like it! It doesn´t have to be so hardLOL 
I have the These Trails album as well, and I too see those RPI parallels. 
That sentence about the desert island itself got me curious - so I´ll be looking into it. 
I hope you will be posting again - 
Best wishes David

- Douglas Adams
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 12:45
You should definitely give Vampyrs a chance. I reckon it might not exactly be your cup of tea, but look at it as a proof of how versatile the band can be.
... and because I did not expect too much from the album, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally gave it a spin.
Property of Queen Productions...
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 12:36
Lizzy, I haven't been brave enough for "Vampyrs" yet . . . and I agree that of the first three and the recent comeback, "Aquile" is definitely the least impressive.  But it's all relative, and it is still quite impressive.

John, the comeback album features the original trio plus the bassist recruited for their third album, which is "Aquile."  It really is fabulous!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2011 at 11:23
I found Aquile e Scoiattoli to be their least impressive album, even Vampyrs is more lively, in a San Remo '94 kind of way. :D But despite this, like Todd said, it is still a great album. I particularly enjoy that cheesy first part of Beethoven's 1st.
Property of Queen Productions...
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2011 at 21:29
^ I only have the debut Todd.I hear the latest one from 2009 is very good.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 18:29

I've been listening to Latte e Miele's "Aquile e Scoiattoli" today, and despite the almost completely new lineup (only drummer Alfio Vitanza left over from the first two albums), it's a great album!  Any thoughts about this one?  Perhaps not up to the level of the first two, but still great stuff. 

Edited by Todd - August 29 2011 at 19:28

My Gnosis Ratings

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 09:46
Grazie Pierre for your kind words, and welcome to the Den.  Glad you are getting some good recommendations here.

Smile

stefanotesta View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanotesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 09:38
Thank you very much, Pierre!  Your words make me happy, and I understand how nice it is to see your work appreciated by people so far away!
I’m a frog. My english is terrible Smile
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 05:31
Great first post, Pierre, but please don't shut your mouth... we appreciate nice suggestions! ''The desert island itself'' Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2011 at 02:21

Hello everyone.

First, my apologies. I’m a frog. My english is terrible. So I’m just here to say hello... and goodbye.    

I’m not in prog, not more than in classical, pop, rock, jazz, soundtrack or brazilian stuffs.

A year ago, looking for new music, I started to listen to RPI albums of the seventies. Gosh ! What a revelation !  What an elevation ! I didn’t expect this. Not at all. “Those painters, those sculptors ... just as in Renaissance Italy.”

BMS, PFM, Le Orme, QVL, Stefano Testa, Panna Fedda, Cervello, Battiato, Odissea, Samadhi, Delirium, Alusa Fallax, I Giganti ... and so many others.

As in a Gustav Mahler’s symphony, I was not only listenning with my ears, but with my eyes. Both were wide open. It was a miracle, or maybe not. These sounds, shapes and colors were waiting for me. I was just looking in another direction.

So thanks to you, Jim,  Andrea and everyone for the great help. Reading you was very important these last twelve months. And I’m sure there’s many more to come. Rencently I’ve heard samples from albums by La Assemblea Musicale Teatrale, Gramigna or Barabba. They sound terrific and I can’t wait for CD’s reissues and your reviews.

Before I shut my mouth, I would like to give you some titles of albums with  a RPI flavour :

These Trails . These Trails (1974). A folk band from Hawai. Very strange. Great accoustic guitar and synths. Fantastic vocal harmonies.

Melody Nelson : Serge Gainsbourg (1968). A true prog album and the most terrific violins arrangements you will hear in your life.

Eden’s Island. Eden Ahbez (1960). The composer of Nature Boy. Simplicity and beauty. Not a disc for the desert island. The desert island itself.

Goodbye ... and hello.

Pierre.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2011 at 02:16
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

Many thanks for your kind comments about Ocean, David. Sorry to hear you won't be reviewing for a while but hopefully we'll still see you around the forum. Good luck with your philosophy studies. Thumbs Up

Thank you my friend.
Let´s just see how well I correspond to an intellectual environment again... I should be able to visit the forum quite frequently methinks. 
Regarding the reviewing scene - there´ll be a dip but then again I´ve never been the avid writer here... But it will probably be a 5 star album that I return withEmbarrassed

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2011 at 02:10
^No such thing! I love your ramblings JIm...
In fact I think the times we do get close to describing the music - we are rambling like The Allman Brothers. 

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 10:45
Many thanks guys, I'm trying to make my reviews a bit more succinct.  Short intro, one good beefy paragraph on trying to nail down the sound in a heartfelt fashion, and a short outro summation.  In the past I've rambled a bit too much I think.  Smile

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 14:20
Many thanks for your kind comments about Ocean, David. Sorry to hear you won't be reviewing for a while but hopefully we'll still see you around the forum. Good luck with your philosophy studies. Thumbs Up
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 13:59
Another great review, Jim.  By the way, have you heard Goad's album "The Wood"?  I bought it back during that Mellow sale.  It's pretty good--I was wondering how it compares with "Masquerade."  Also, what is the packaging like for the CD?

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 299300301302303 358>