Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 06:05
^Do you have that Bambibanda e melodie Jim? I like to start my mornings with that one - great stuff!
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2011 at 05:57
Ah.....what Italian mini shall we pull for this fine summer morning....decisions decisions.....Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:36
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahem... Anyways, check the Terra in Bocca out, it is pretty good symphonic stuff, but you might have to wait a century to get your hands on it... I got it at a yard sale an old Italian guy held a while back, together with almost 20 other titles. He´d grown tired of prog altogether (!!!!???? - how does one do that???) - and I was there for the takingBig smile  

Terra in bocca, book + remastered cd (featuring a BONUS TRACK!):

My bad - I thought it was unbelievably hard to get these days, but soooo nice to see some of these records in the print again - and remastered as wellClap
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Dear RPI fans,

One of my favorite music writers Raffa (Progmistress) Berry has written a great piece on summer music festivals in Italy.  Since the RPI Team has had people asking questions about this very topic I wanted to link you all to this.  Check out the rest of her fine blog while you are there. 

http://progmistress.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/live-news-an-italian-summer-of-prog/

I have never ever seen a better reason to visit Italy. Unfortunate, I am commited to urgent real life (=middle age man) issues for the rest of this year. But Ryan Air does very cheap flights to Italy from the rest of Europe so....... But, I can't.  

As always; a great article by Raff. A piece that deserve a lot better distribution.

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - July 02 2011 at 09:32
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 07:44

Ahem... Anyways, check the Terra in Bocca out, it is pretty good symphonic stuff, but you might have to wait a century to get your hands on it... I got it at a yard sale an old Italian guy held a while back, together with almost 20 other titles. He´d grown tired of prog altogether (!!!!???? - how does one do that???) - and I was there for the takingBig smile  

Terra in bocca, book + remastered cd (featuring a BONUS TRACK!):

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 05:39

Dear RPI fans,

One of my favorite music writers Raffa (Progmistress) Berry has written a great piece on summer music festivals in Italy.  Since the RPI Team has had people asking questions about this very topic I wanted to link you all to this.  Check out the rest of her fine blog while you are there. 

http://progmistress.wordpress.com/2011/06/30/live-news-an-italian-summer-of-prog/

Damn!! No RPI festivals in DenmarkLOL
I´d love to be in Tuscany July 22-23 though...

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2011 at 05:37
Originally posted by DogmaX DogmaX wrote:

I think that "Il Paese Dei Balocchi" was one of the most underrated italian prog group ever. They made only a selftitled album and two demos released some years ago... this group it uses a lot of styles, and if we see it as a "Symphonic" concept, I think that this album is way better and ispirated that some "masterpiece" as "Concerto Grosso per i New Trolls" and "Contaminazione".

This is the STUNNING opening track :)

Hi there and welcome to the siteSmile
I just got hold of this record last month, and it is a very delicate and mellow album, which slowly is convincing me of its greatness. Just a trademark for a great album in my book, that the album very slowly releases its magic, instead of being an instant hit right off the bat.
I am not the biggest fan of Concerto Grosso either, but in terms of importance to the RPI scene, I think it is up there and deserves a place in the history books alongside Terra in Bocca and the Panna Freda debut.
Cheers David. 

Panna Fredda is good stuff, I like their only album, but their work was "polluted" by a sort of "copy and paste" from another song: listen "Un re senza reame" and "Heaven" by Gracious! and you'll understand what I'm saying :)

Anyway, I have to listen Terra In Bocca :)

I was totally oblivious to that - and I actually own that Gracious! albumEmbarrassed

- Douglas Adams
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 19:13
So this may be a bit off-topic, but I just noticed that this thread could be abbreviated to "The IPA den" which could give people the wrong idea about what's inside. LOL
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 19:08
Dear RPI fans,

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:20

I think that "Il Paese Dei Balocchi" was one of the most underrated italian prog group ever. They made only a selftitled album and two demos released some years ago... this group it uses a lot of styles, and if we see it as a "Symphonic" concept, I think that this album is way better and ispirated that some "masterpiece" as "Concerto Grosso per i New Trolls" and "Contaminazione".

I just got hold of this record last month, and it is a very delicate and mellow album, which slowly is convincing me of its greatness. Just a trademark for a great album in my book, that the album very slowly releases its magic, instead of being an instant hit right off the bat.
I am not the biggest fan of Concerto Grosso either, but in terms of importance to the RPI scene, I think it is up there and deserves a place in the history books alongside Terra in Bocca and the Panna Freda debut.
Cheers David. 

Panna Fredda is good stuff, I like their only album, but their work was "polluted" by a sort of "copy and paste" from another song: listen "Un re senza reame" and "Heaven" by Gracious! and you'll understand what I'm saying :)

I wasn't aware of the Panna Fredda 'copy-paste' stuation, I personally thought it was an excellent album. but now I'm curious about Graciuos.
Also, I whole heartedly agree about Il Paese Dei Balocchi being overlooked, but unfortunately that's what usually happens with 'one album wonders'.
Property of Queen Productions...
DogmaX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogmaX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 15:02

Cheers David. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 14:58

Cheers David. 

- Douglas Adams
DogmaX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogmaX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 13:24

Edited by DogmaX - July 01 2011 at 13:25
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desistindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2011 at 09:39
Check it out this amazing video featuring "il Rovescio della Medaglia" incredible soundtrack! (there is a little freeze at the beggining, but just for seconds):

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 16:07
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Haven't got round to getting this one yet but after John's enthusiastic review I'll have to put that right.

La Via Della Seta by ORME, LE album cover Studio Album, 2011

La Via Della Seta
Le Orme Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by Mellotron Storm
Prog Reviewer

4 stars LE ORME put out four amazing albums from 1971 to 1974 that is some of the best music i have ever heard.After that though they really didn't put out an album i appreciated until 2001's "Elementi" then the next one "L'Infinite" from 2006,these were their last two studio albums they released before this year's release.I'd rate both as low 4 star records but i liked them both enough to keep them in my rotation.I have the same feelings towards this latest one as well. I must admit i was very surprised to hear that Aldo the vocalist had left and i thought maybe this would be an all-instrumental album,but no. They went out and got an amazing singer in Jimmy Spitaleri who sang with METAMORFOSI back in the day.Man he can sing ! I really appreciated him on that "Inferno" album that METAMORFOSI released in the seventies and he sounds just as good.Would you belive the drummer is the only original LE ORME member left. "L'alba Di Eurasia" starts off like a house on fire then it calms right down with piano and acoustic guitar.Emotional guitar ends it along with piano and atmosphere. "Il Romanzo Di Alessandro" opens with drums and bass as guitar joins in.This is so uplifting as the synths join in too.Guitar to the fore after 1 1/2 minutes then we get some powerful organ runs. "Verso Sud" opens with piano as fragile vocals join in.It does get fuller.Man this guy can sing.Such emotion.A guitar solo before 3 minutes then the song blends into "Mondi Che Si Cercano".Piano,guitar and organ lead early.Great sound here.Some beautiful piano melodies after 2 minutes. "Verso Sud(Reprisa)" is a short piano/vocal piece.My God ! "Una Dona" opens with bass and drums as vocals and heaviness kick in.Organ comes to the fore a minute in.Nice. It blends into "29457,L'asteroide Di Marco Polo" .Again an uplifting guitar led instrumental with synths and organ too. "Serinde" opens with water sounds and synths as the drums arrive and it builds.Nice bass too.The synths start to lead with organ floating in the background. "Incontro Dei Popoli" is mellow as vocals join in.A fuller sound before 2 minutes then it settles back a minute later. "La Prima Meloda" has a guitar led intro then the synths come in after a minute.A calm after 1 1/2 minutes then the vocals come in.That guitar led section is back as contrasts continue. "Xi'An-Venezia-Roma" opens with bass and piano as the drums arrive and it picks up.Synths and organ follow. "La Via Della Seta" opens with atmosphere and vocals as it builds to a fuller sound.Vocals stop as synths start to lead.Marching styled drums also come in. They seem to reach back to that seventies flavour more than they did on the last two albums.This is a real solid release.
I have, and passionately love, Collage, L'Uomo di Pezza, Felona e Sorona, and Contrappunti-for me, these are essentials. have heard a bit of Smogmagica and was so bored, it turned me off anything beyond that. But sounds like they are still turning heads with their music-sounds interesting
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2011 at 15:21
Haven't got round to getting this one yet but after John's enthusiastic review I'll have to put that right.

La Via Della Seta by ORME, LE album cover Studio Album, 2011

La Via Della Seta
Le Orme Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by Mellotron Storm
Prog Reviewer

4 stars LE ORME put out four amazing albums from 1971 to 1974 that is some of the best music i have ever heard.After that though they really didn't put out an album i appreciated until 2001's "Elementi" then the next one "L'Infinite" from 2006,these were their last two studio albums they released before this year's release.I'd rate both as low 4 star records but i liked them both enough to keep them in my rotation.I have the same feelings towards this latest one as well. I must admit i was very surprised to hear that Aldo the vocalist had left and i thought maybe this would be an all-instrumental album,but no. They went out and got an amazing singer in Jimmy Spitaleri who sang with METAMORFOSI back in the day.Man he can sing ! I really appreciated him on that "Inferno" album that METAMORFOSI released in the seventies and he sounds just as good.Would you belive the drummer is the only original LE ORME member left. "L'alba Di Eurasia" starts off like a house on fire then it calms right down with piano and acoustic guitar.Emotional guitar ends it along with piano and atmosphere. "Il Romanzo Di Alessandro" opens with drums and bass as guitar joins in.This is so uplifting as the synths join in too.Guitar to the fore after 1 1/2 minutes then we get some powerful organ runs. "Verso Sud" opens with piano as fragile vocals join in.It does get fuller.Man this guy can sing.Such emotion.A guitar solo before 3 minutes then the song blends into "Mondi Che Si Cercano".Piano,guitar and organ lead early.Great sound here.Some beautiful piano melodies after 2 minutes. "Verso Sud(Reprisa)" is a short piano/vocal piece.My God ! "Una Dona" opens with bass and drums as vocals and heaviness kick in.Organ comes to the fore a minute in.Nice. It blends into "29457,L'asteroide Di Marco Polo" .Again an uplifting guitar led instrumental with synths and organ too. "Serinde" opens with water sounds and synths as the drums arrive and it builds.Nice bass too.The synths start to lead with organ floating in the background. "Incontro Dei Popoli" is mellow as vocals join in.A fuller sound before 2 minutes then it settles back a minute later. "La Prima Meloda" has a guitar led intro then the synths come in after a minute.A calm after 1 1/2 minutes then the vocals come in.That guitar led section is back as contrasts continue. "Xi'An-Venezia-Roma" opens with bass and piano as the drums arrive and it picks up.Synths and organ follow. "La Via Della Seta" opens with atmosphere and vocals as it builds to a fuller sound.Vocals stop as synths start to lead.Marching styled drums also come in. They seem to reach back to that seventies flavour more than they did on the last two albums.This is a real solid release.

Edited by Nightfly - June 30 2011 at 15:22
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 19:19
Originally posted by Teh_Slippermenz Teh_Slippermenz wrote:

Italian prog, eh?

One word.

GOBLIN. (moar Goblin.) :D

haha, if it weren't for my recent Dario Argento fandom and subsequent collection spree I prolly never would have heard of these guys (actually strike that, Goblin also did the music for Dawn of the Dead, which I loved before I was turned on to Argento) but they've been the first time I actively listened to Italian prog, before I would just listen when a band came on Stellar Attraction or something. But I love Goblin, the music they compose for Argento's films is spot-on and engaging, just like great prog is. :)

That it is! Goblin has long been one of my very favorite bands. Seek out Claudio Simonetti's solo material (except the early '80s pop stuff), the Goblin reunion soundtrak Non Ho Sonno, and Claudio's band Daemonia. You'll love all of it. Also check out the American duo Zombi, and the one-man project Umberto. Fantastic music all rooted in Goblin's musical legacy!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 17:28
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Il Tempio della Clessidre
Short excerpts from a review by "Classic Rock Presents Prog" magazine

"The press release tries to claim that this Italian band have in their midst members of "legendary" prog band Museo Rosenbach.Presumably the use of the word "legendary" in this context misses of the words "in their own lunchtime",as no matter how hard they might try to build it up,the majority of Italian prog bands have made little impact on the world stage.

However,the blunt,politically incorrect truth is that in spite of occassional flashes of musical magic,with all the lyrics being delivered in Italian,it's still an album most would never listen to more than once." Rich Wilson

I thought people listened to RPI because of the Italian language and the beauty it conveys? It is however a thrill to see so many here on PA, who prefers pomodoros over tomatoes...
I was so disappointed with the Cherry Five album I got my hands on last month - great music, but alas those English vocals are just not hitting the spot for me.

I need to listen to that Il Tempio record again - I find myself sharing the same sentiments as Rune2000 just described in his review.

I'm a big fan of the Cherry Five album but I must admit it doesn't sound Italian - quite a bit of Yes in there to my ears. I wonder without the Goblin conection if it may have found its way into another genre?

I think you´re right, and maybe that is the problem for me. I was expecting that special Italian vibe alongside the beautiful language, and I got an album that sounded like it came from the UK. That shouldn´t be an issue, but....
Reminds me of an incident at the Roskilde Festival some years back- where my mate offered me a bite of what I thought was a dürüm with shawarma and garlic dressing. It turned out to be a pancake with ice-cream and strawberry jam, and it nearly made my stomach content leave my body - and I love dessert pancakesLOL

- Douglas Adams
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:50

Il Tempio della Clessidre
Short excerpts from a review by "Classic Rock Presents Prog" magazine

"The press release tries to claim that this Italian band have in their midst members of "legendary" prog band Museo Rosenbach.Presumably the use of the word "legendary" in this context misses of the words "in their own lunchtime",as no matter how hard they might try to build it up,the majority of Italian prog bands have made little impact on the world stage.

However,the blunt,politically incorrect truth is that in spite of occassional flashes of musical magic,with all the lyrics being delivered in Italian,it's still an album most would never listen to more than once." Rich Wilson

I thought people listened to RPI because of the Italian language and the beauty it conveys? It is however a thrill to see so many here on PA, who prefers pomodoros over tomatoes...
I was so disappointed with the Cherry Five album I got my hands on last month - great music, but alas those English vocals are just not hitting the spot for me.

I need to listen to that Il Tempio record again - I find myself sharing the same sentiments as Rune2000 just described in his review.

I'm a big fan of the Cherry Five album but I must admit it doesn't sound Italian - quite a bit of Yes in there to my ears. I wonder without the Goblin conection if it may have found its way into another genre?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 14:41
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

There's some tragic news just posted on the Progressiveears site that DFA's Alberto Bonomi the keyboardist has been killed in Italy in a car accident. Shocking to say the least. I have no links other than what was posted there.

Unhappy That is sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 306307308309310 358>