Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 14:38
You're right because I absolutely love these albums! Museo Rosenbach, Alphataurus and Il Balletto Di Bronzo are probably my favourite. I'm waiting to receive these titles : 

"Darwin!" Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
"L Isola di Niente" P.F.M.
"Palepoli" Osanna
"Sulle Corde di Aries" Franco Battiato
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso" Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
"Quella Vecchia Locanda" Quella Vecchia Locanda

Tongue

And I'm looking for Inferno by Metamorfosi at a good price Wink
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:54
Originally posted by Anaon Anaon wrote:

Hi!

It's bee, a while since I came here Tongue I listen to a lot of RPI these days so I came here to read the last posts of the topic... Here are the albums I listen to the most :

I ordered some other classics some days ago, I can't wait to receive them!! Approve

You can't go wrong with that excellent selection Anaon!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 13:49
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ Enjoy those, Chris!  I think you're in for a sumptuous feast.  And a great review of a great album--thanks!!

Speaking of feasts, I've been enjoying watching the DVDs from the Prog Exhibition.  Banco (they couldn't include the parts with John Wetton because of copyright issues Thumbs Down), the other half of Le Orme (Aldo and Tony, accompanied by David Cross on a couple numbers), PFM with Ian Anderson, Osanna (with VDGG's David Jackson and Balletto's Gianni Leone), RRR (with Thijs van Leer of Focus), The Trip, La Maschera di Cera, Periferia del Mondo, Abash, and Sinestesia (not really my kind of thing, frankly) . . . 4 DVDs and 7 CDs full of great music!!!   If you have wondered if these are any good, they certainly have my endorsement!

Sounds great Todd but a hefty price no doubt?
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2011 at 08:02
Hi!

It's bee, a while since I came here Tongue I listen to a lot of RPI these days so I came here to read the last posts of the topic... Here are the albums I listen to the most :

I ordered some other classics some days ago, I can't wait to receive them!! Approve
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 20:21
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Bumping this for the occasion. Tongue
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Clap

Passio Secundum Mattheum  by LATTE E MIELE album cover Studio Album, 1972

Passio Secundum Mattheum
Latte e Miele Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by Lizzy

4 stars The Soundtrack of the Passions

In the enticing sphere of Italian Progressive Rock, almost every single subject sees its chance to shine, but like in all realistic establishments, some manage to shine brighter than the others. Latte e Miele saw serendipity strike in prog year of glory - 1972, when they produced a Bach and New Testament inspired Passio Secundum Mattheum. This Genova based band's debut album's magnetism lies primarily in its concept which, as the title suggests, is pertaining to Christ's dramatic last days but only according to a singular source ' the gospel of Saint Matthew, often referred to as the Passions. The beauty behind this concept is that it tells a story in a simple yet heart rending manner, without it being homiletic.

Musically speaking the record explores symphonic dimensions reached not only by ELP, but also by Genesis in tracks like Ultima Cena (the intriguing supper coincidence) or Getzemani which oozes an abundance of influences in terms of keys treatment not only from the above mentioned giants, but also from Deep Purple, Yes and even Eloy for that twist of spaceyness. The jazz influence is another chief constituent of the whole, although at first they may seem slightly disconnected from the main theme. Present in both parts of I Testimoni (the witnesses) via piano and drums, it raises a fairly compelling question regarding its presence: why are there emotionless straight-forward jazz sections in a crucial moment of the plot, where the false witnesses accuse Jesus of having declared that he would destroy the temple and then rebuild it in three days? The answer is that the senselessness of the jazz bits overlaps the duplicate attitude of nonchalance and lack of emotion emitted by the witnesses.

As seen above, the soundscape manages to intertwine effortlessly with the visual thread, emerging into a burst of sentiments. Thus the emotions grow more and more till they reach an overwhelming apex: from the uplifting choir on Introduzione and the rather mellow acoustic guitar and harpsichord driven Il Giorno Degli Azzimi accompanied by the elegant narration of the Passover preparations, to the dynamic operatic choir from The Trial; from the witnesses false statements rendered in a counter-tenor vox, in a very similar vein to some of Annas' bits from Jesus Christ Superstar to the yet again mellow and sweet but at the same time excruciating Il Pianto which displays an absolutely beautiful blend of keys, acoustic guitar and flute; from the surprising Giuda where harsh guitars and drums alternate with a jazz section denoting insolence to Il Calvario featuring dramatic operatic choir, morbid church organ keys, and drums reminiscent of ancient ships where they would set the rowing rhythm of the slaves; all this only to paint one of history's most tragic paintings. But because the Providence had other plans, the end fulminates in a reiterated theme of the heavenly choir present at the very beginning of the record accompanied by the now regulars ' guitar, piano and drums.

All told, Latte e Miele's first effort is a gorgeous journey whether it is on a musical, visual, religious for some, educational for others, or merely a rudimentary emotional level, in which every music lover should engage at least once in a lifetime.

4.5 stars

I love the band, and one of the most endearing Italian groups i have ever heard. My fave is Papillon, especially it's second side, where the band gets a bit jazzy, and quite classical as well, and is so good at this. I have mixed feelings about Aquile e Scoiattoli, the first three tracks are nonsense, but then the rest is up to the Latte e Miele quality standard (from where i live, Canada, they are unfortunately an obscurity)
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 20:06
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Let's recommend some classic 70s lesser-knowns than the big 3, there's so many to get to....Smile

De De Lind
Rocky's Filj
Officina Meccanica
Festa Mobile
Alphataurus
Luciano Basso
Campo di Marte
Cervello
Corte dei Miracoli
Jumbo
Latte Miele
Metamorfosi
Paese dei Balocchi
Mario Panseri
Pholas Dactylus
Procession
QVL
Semiramis
Rustichelli Bordini
Stefano Testa
Nuova Idea
Panna Fredda
Alusa Fallax
Delirium
Apoteosi
J.E.T.
Edgar Allen Poe
Odissea
Nascita della Sfera
RDM
Giganti
Gian Pieretti

Wow, that was just off the cuff.  I really need to pull out some classics and lose myself for a few daysWink

Excellent stuff Jim and but I'll have to add Biglietto Per L'Inferno, Area, Museo Rosenbach, Maxophone and Raccomandata Con Ricevuta Di Ritorno.
thought i'd add-Triade, The Trip, Il Baricentro, Dedalus
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 19:59
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Thanks Guldbam.  I hope more people write about that one.

Todd, I think its a 5 for me too.  I wish the sound were better though.  It's OK but sounds muffled to me.  If there's a Japan mini on that one, I might have to splurge. 

Actually Jim, the sounds great on the Esoteric remaster. Only problem is you'll have to put up with the English version. Wink

Ha!  Not a chance.  English vocals totally kill the RPI experience for me.  While Italian vocals are not required for the sub genre definition, they are required for me to enjoy myselfLOL

Nothing worse than a hearing a good vocalist, with fluid access to the world's most beautiful language, using English.
Call me a purist!Big smile

Yeah, I found the same thing with say, Osanna's L'uomo and really wished it didn't have the English vocals. I still like the album, but I can't help feeling it would have been ace without.

It's a shame the European bands felt that pressure to use English in order gain more exposure (if that's what it was). I want to take a step back from blaming the closed-mind mentality of the general western music listening populace, but it seems like poor form from a listener who cannot accept a band singing in their native tongue. Now, I don't mean lyrics are unimportant, but language is and if anyone knows anything about the differences between languages re: syllables/sound units and thus rhythm and the vocal line etc, then native tongue is vital.

Ok, sorry about the rant. Calming down. Actually, speaking of Osanna - anyone here heard their 'Prog Family' release from a few years back? I'm interested but haven't shelled out yet. Any thoughts?
In some cases, when Italian bands revert to singing in English, the results are better. I can think of two examples off the bat, the first Libra album, whose English language version is so great, it is almost in a class by itself, and Il Rovescio Della Medaglia's Contamination album, whose English version is so "right" There are, of course, groups like Le Orme where it is not possible to beat the Italian so beautifully done
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2011 at 19:54
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

^ Well, for me the original Osanna albums are the real deal.  The first three, even to a lesser extent the next two, are all just absolute killers.  Whenever I spin "Prog Family" it just makes me want to play the originals.  So I would say get the first three, then the next two, then if you're still hungry go for "Prog Family."

Awesome, thanks Todd! I'm only waiting on the soundtrack from Osanna to complete my collection of their first 3 albums, but it's good to hear that you reckon the 'Prog Family' is good too. I wondered how Gianni Leone would fit into the new line up (think I'd work really well) for instance.   And the two albums after their masterwork, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, think I should buy 'em any way? I kind of want to anyway, partly due to the obsessive/completionist side of me!
the soundtrack (Milano Calibro 9) is a fantastic album, and one of the group's very best (it also happens to be the first Osanna i ever heard)
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2011 at 15:12
^ Enjoy those, Chris!  I think you're in for a sumptuous feast.  And a great review of a great album--thanks!!

Speaking of feasts, I've been enjoying watching the DVDs from the Prog Exhibition.  Banco (they couldn't include the parts with John Wetton because of copyright issues Thumbs Down), the other half of Le Orme (Aldo and Tony, accompanied by David Cross on a couple numbers), PFM with Ian Anderson, Osanna (with VDGG's David Jackson and Balletto's Gianni Leone), RRR (with Thijs van Leer of Focus), The Trip, La Maschera di Cera, Periferia del Mondo, Abash, and Sinestesia (not really my kind of thing, frankly) . . . 4 DVDs and 7 CDs full of great music!!!   If you have wondered if these are any good, they certainly have my endorsement!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 17:18
Cheers Paul!

Okay, I've ordered Come in un Ultima Cena after reading everyone's comments on the previous page. Another album I've finally gotten around to buying is Festa Mobile's Diario. Shameful that it's taken me so long! Hopefully they should drop through my letterbox by the weekend. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2011 at 13:53
Nice one Chris Thumbs Up - One of the better post seventies RPI and well worth checking out.

Come il Seguitare Delle Stagioni by CASTELLO DI ATLANTE, IL album cover Studio Album, 2000

Come il Seguitare Delle Stagioni
Il Castello Di Atlante Rock Progressivo Italiano

Review by seventhsojourn
Special Collaborator RPI Team

4 stars One of the drawbacks with album reviews is that while we can share our opinions about music we can never share the actual experience of listening to it; the music simply exists and will have unique meaning to each and every individual. Anyone that knows anything about my taste will understand that melodic symphonic prog is my jam and, for me, listening to Il Castello di Atlante is a bit like overdosing on the music of my youth. These guys are clearly less than strangers with Genesis and Il Castello share the same flair for melody, but at the same time they're not hindered by any kind of musical conformism.

'Come il Seguitare delle Stagione' isn't my favourite album by the band but it does exemplify the character of Il Castello as it features their usual intricate interplay of guitar, keys and violin. This is very much an album for daydreaming, for withdrawing from hard reality and immersing yourself in extravagant fantasy. It features a collection of contradictory yet complementary pieces, with four grand-manner epics interspersed with three short instrumentals that are like poignant little elegies. As such it is alternately 'out there' and 'in here'; or it could be successively gregarious and solitary if we equate the music with our prevailing spirits.

Those who prefer to crack the hard shell of the wild and experimental RPI may be indifferent to this album. However if you're looking for the security of sumptuous textures and romantic melodies you'll surely relish this album's timeless beauty.

Edited by Nightfly - June 16 2011 at 13:54
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2011 at 05:12
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

@Lizzy - have you heard L'Oblio by Amanita? I think you'd enjoy that one, lots of great flute.

I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. :D Flute is always a big plus in my book (so is harpsichord Wink).

Three Monks was excellent. Unfortunately I only got to listen to Neogothic Progressive Toccatas once and couldn't focus on it as much as I would've wanted to, but I really do have to hear again.

Great to hear you enjoyed Three Monks Lizzy. Smile
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 22:03

^ Well, for me the original Osanna albums are the real deal.  The first three, even to a lesser extent the next two, are all just absolute killers.  Whenever I spin "Prog Family" it just makes me want to play the originals.  So I would say get the first three, then the next two, then if you're still hungry go for "Prog Family."

Awesome, thanks Todd! I'm only waiting on the soundtrack from Osanna to complete my collection of their first 3 albums, but it's good to hear that you reckon the 'Prog Family' is good too. I wondered how Gianni Leone would fit into the new line up (think I'd work really well) for instance.   And the two albums after their masterwork, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, think I should buy 'em any way? I kind of want to anyway, partly due to the obsessive/completionist side of me!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 16:41

@Lizzy - have you heard L'Oblio by Amanita? I think you'd enjoy that one, lots of great flute.

I have not. Thanks for the recommendation. :D Flute is always a big plus in my book (so is harpsichord Wink).

Three Monks was excellent. Unfortunately I only got to listen to Neogothic Progressive Toccatas once and couldn't focus on it as much as I would've wanted to, but I really do have to hear again.
Property of Queen Productions...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 16:07

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^^Iīve been looking for that particular album myselfBig smile

Just got into Arti e Mestieri through The Trip. I thought the drummer was excellent, and I am such a sucker for meaty drummers, - and sure thing found out he had gone on to play for a fusion group. Got the one with the ballet shoes, and was totally blown away! Many fusion groups lack melody, but got loads of chops IMO - these guys got both. A jazzy version of PFM?

BTW - Chris, I canīt believe you rated my favorite Battiato album 3*. Might have to fix up a doctorīs appointment for you...

Sorry, there's no known cure for my bad taste! Just kidding, I know you're only pulling my chain. Smile I don't put too much emphasis on ratings these days (I guess you don't either) and I'd actually be happy to post reviews without ratings. I only gave the Cervello album 3* as well, and the L'Uovo di Colombo a mere 2*.

Iīm with you regarding the whole rating system. How could one ever put a price tag/value/currency on something you love so dearly? Iīve got a truckload of albums Iīd probably rate 2*, but each of them contains one or two pieces of music that I would trade my life in for. 
Melos is actually one of the few RPI albums, where I totally agree with JimLOL   

I hear what you guys are saying on the ratings issue. Must admit I'm glad of them just for an at a glance idea on albums. All albums seem to get a few reviews that are less than complimentary, even the biggies but I think they kind of level themselves out generally speaking if you catch my drift and most seem to have a rating that's probably fairly consistent with the general consensus.

I guess itīs my studies that soaks through in my way thinking. I also find ratings to be informative - well at least if the given record has been reviewed by a vast amount of people - including ones I really respect, - but what I mean to say is more, that when we try to cram something as vital and inexplicable as music into boxes - we might in the long run be spoiling some of the magic, because we all the time are trying to put something as finit as a number on what essentially is metaphysics - well the experience of listening that is... 
Actually reading Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben at the moment, who strongly urges people to let go of biometrics and all the boxes attached to it. Itīs not that we donīt need different names for things to differentiate, but sometimes we make up stuff where they arenīt needed at all. Itīs ok to use ratings - but maybe sometimes people get too caught up in the process of having to judge something - and totally and utterly forgets to listen to the music.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2011 at 00:53
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 23:00

Todd, I think its a 5 for me too.  I wish the sound were better though.  It's OK but sounds muffled to me.  If there's a Japan mini on that one, I might have to splurge. 

Actually Jim, the sounds great on the Esoteric remaster. Only problem is you'll have to put up with the English version. Wink

Ha!  Not a chance.  English vocals totally kill the RPI experience for me.  While Italian vocals are not required for the sub genre definition, they are required for me to enjoy myselfLOL

Nothing worse than a hearing a good vocalist, with fluid access to the world's most beautiful language, using English.

Yeah, I found the same thing with say, Osanna's L'uomo and really wished it didn't have the English vocals. I still like the album, but I can't help feeling it would have been ace without.

It's a shame the European bands felt that pressure to use English in order gain more exposure (if that's what it was). I want to take a step back from blaming the closed-mind mentality of the general western music listening populace, but it seems like poor form from a listener who cannot accept a band singing in their native tongue. Now, I don't mean lyrics are unimportant, but language is and if anyone knows anything about the differences between languages re: syllables/sound units and thus rhythm and the vocal line etc, then native tongue is vital.

Ok, sorry about the rant. Calming down. Actually, speaking of Osanna - anyone here heard their 'Prog Family' release from a few years back? I'm interested but haven't shelled out yet. Any thoughts?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 17:25

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 16:35

^^Iīve been looking for that particular album myselfBig smile

Just got into Arti e Mestieri through The Trip. I thought the drummer was excellent, and I am such a sucker for meaty drummers, - and sure thing found out he had gone on to play for a fusion group. Got the one with the ballet shoes, and was totally blown away! Many fusion groups lack melody, but got loads of chops IMO - these guys got both. A jazzy version of PFM?

BTW - Chris, I canīt believe you rated my favorite Battiato album 3*. Might have to fix up a doctorīs appointment for you...

Sorry, there's no known cure for my bad taste! Just kidding, I know you're only pulling my chain. Smile I don't put too much emphasis on ratings these days (I guess you don't either) and I'd actually be happy to post reviews without ratings. I only gave the Cervello album 3* as well, and the L'Uovo di Colombo a mere 2*.

Iīm with you regarding the whole rating system. How could one ever put a price tag/value/currency on something you love so dearly? Iīve got a truckload of albums Iīd probably rate 2*, but each of them contains one or two pieces of music that I would trade my life in for. 
Melos is actually one of the few RPI albums, where I totally agree with JimLOL   

I hear what you guys are saying on the ratings issue. Must admit I'm glad of them just for an at a glance idea on albums. All albums seem to get a few reviews that are less than complimentary, even the biggies but I think they kind of level themselves out generally speaking if you catch my drift and most seem to have a rating that's probably fairly consistent with the general consensus.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2011 at 16:23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 309310311312313 358>