Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 358>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 01:10
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Interesting, so, 'hot potato' in the sense that not everyone feels it should be a separate genre? (& aren't genres & labels fun!)

Exactly, there's an argument that the bands should be split between the existing genres and why should Italy have it's own genre but the RPI purists - and that's not just us here on PA, consider that RPI has it's own sound making it a genre in it's own right. There's a misconception that if a bands Italian and they prog then they will automatically be accepted in the RPI genre but that's certainly not the case as you may notice plenty of of Italian prog bands here on PA in different genres. Take a band like The Watch for example; a band clearly influenced by Genesis and bearing none of the RPI characteristics. That's why they're in neo and not RPI.

Ah! Thanks Nightfly. WIth my limited RPI experience (only 16 albums in so far) I think that there is a clear difference between it and other progressive works (of which other styles I've been listening to longer) And RPI doesn't feel like an indefinable quality either (though I wouldn't presume to go into it myself, as it's bee done better than I in various places, including here) but I would have found those discussions interesting. I will search the forum and see if I can find anything, thank you
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 12:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Apologies to Chris for not getting to this earlier.  We approved a very cool band called Ianva, and Chris did a fantastic job on this addition.  Do check out the Bio and his review.

Huge clappies Chris!!   ClapClapClap

Ianva!

Indeed, excellent work Chris. Thumbs Up
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 12:32
Originally posted by Lizzy Lizzy wrote:

That overwhelming church organ was the element that made Jacula unique.
(also, I was not impressed with Summereve either Embarrassed)

Lizzy, you may want to check out Three Monks for some great church organ if you haven't already done so. They're here on the site.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 12:25

Apologies to Chris for not getting to this earlier.  We approved a very cool band called Ianva, and Chris did a fantastic job on this addition.  Do check out the Bio and his review.

Huge clappies Chris!!   ClapClapClap

Ianva!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2011 at 04:55
I think you'll enjoy them Torodd.  

toroddfuglesteg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toroddfuglesteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 23:19
  I am supposed to receive their albums next week and an interview is still on the cards too. But New Age ? I hope these albums are not nod-nod-zzzz New Age drivel. I have suffered enough.   

Edited by toroddfuglesteg - May 31 2011 at 23:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:39

Yeah, Charles was like 35 years older than the others as I recall.  He was almost 70 in the mid 1970s.  Both him and the drummer from the early Rex years are said to have perished under "strange circumstances" but you'll have to do your own reseach if interested, I just remember reading that somewhere, probably on the Rex site.  which is a fun site, looks like a big castle, check it out. 

And Doris, for those not in the know, is the wife and co-creator of Bartoccetti. RexAnthony is their son.  It's a family affair. 

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:31
I did not realize Tiring was not among us anymore. Sad to hear that. As for Doris, I was not exactly fond of her vocal timbre, but for some reason it works in that context.
Property of Queen Productions...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:25
And those haunting vocals from Doris, with the flute in that one track, then Charles coming in with the church organ.  Fabulous.  Charles Tiring, the organist, is long passed now, and Doris did not participate for some reason.  the keys were performed by Bartoccetti's son. 

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:21
That overwhelming church organ was the element that made Jacula unique.
(also, I was not impressed with Summereve either Embarrassed)
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:17
I liked the new Jacula but I agree, I am too attached to their previous releases. LOL I mostly miss the organ driven sound, I think.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 15:16
I know exactly what you mean, it is like a new age meets Jacula.   

But wow, that '72 Jacula album still just blows me away every time. 

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 14:55

The new Jacula is very different from old Jacula.  Essentially, it sounds like modern Antonius Rex cds, but even more smooth and somehow relaxing.  I enjoyed it, but it is not like the old band.  It's a new line-up and a new kind of Jacula to be sure. 

If you like "Switch on Dark"  then give the new Jacula a try, if you're expecting the old stuff, you might be dissapointed. 

Well that is the problem. I listened and I was bitterly disappointed. I would have imagined that the next step should be an album oozing heresy and occultism, a record that would make you feel as if you are going to be possessed in the next two seconds, with that amazing church organ and maybe some real EVP's. But it was the exact opposite. There were times when it almost felt like a new age recording. Cry
So I did eventually whine.Embarrassed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 14:44

The new Jacula is very different from old Jacula.  Essentially, it sounds like modern Antonius Rex cds, but even more smooth and somehow relaxing.  I enjoyed it, but it is not like the old band.  It's a new line-up and a new kind of Jacula to be sure. 

If you like "Switch on Dark"  then give the new Jacula a try, if you're expecting the old stuff, you might be dissapointed. 

Lizzy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 14:36
Hey guys! Thank you for the nice feedback!Hug

... and to think that I've come here to whine about the new Jacula.LOL I might do that later though.Wink
However, because this seems like such a happy place, I'll keep things that way and say WOW! Absenthia's debut (and only album so far) was unbelievable! I mean, Gaius Sallustius Crispus meets prog (among others) almost made me squeal. I must listen again and focus more on the lyrics this time. If you haven't heard it yet, DO IT! Big smile
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 13:23

Hey buddy!  You know I like the saucier stuff over the pretty stuff.....Big smile

anyway my pick so far is Gran Turismo Veloce, but I haven't heard much 2011 with everything that's been going down at home.
<<<my avatar proves that I like PRETTY and SAUCY  hahaha LOL  
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 22:42
Thomas, I just obtained Summereve and heard it for the first time today.  I must say I've been a bit ambivalent about some of Hostsonaten's material in the past--like Jim, I tend to favor the crazier side of RPI.  That being said, this is easily my favorite of theirs--really excellent stuff!  But also like Jim, Gran Turismo Veloce is my favorite RPI album so far this year.

Here are a few other Italian prog tasty treats I've enjoyed this year:
Accordo dei Contrari
Catafalchi del Cyber
Euthymia
Le Orme (very similar in style to the comebacks by Delirium and Latte e Miele, Jimmy sounds really good!)
Pandora
Labirinto di Specchi
RedZen

"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 20:54
Hey buddy!  You know I like the saucier stuff over the pretty stuff.....Big smile

anyway my pick so far is Gran Turismo Veloce, but I haven't heard much 2011 with everything that's been going down at home.

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 20:48
Jump on the bandwagon, signori, Hostsonaten's Summereve is still in the lead 2011 best albums Hug
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 17:22
Nope, won't be available for a month over here, but the online samples sounded promising

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 311312313314315 358>