Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2011 at 20:58
Well I'd have absolutely no idea what words to use to describe it, haha.  I've only listened once so far, but I'm sure I'll listen again...not right away though. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 13:01
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

So I'm listening to Demetrio Stratos' Metrodora right now...needless to say, I never expected to hear anything this strange coming out of the RPI genre...this puts a very large majority of RIO/Avant/Zeuhl to SHAME when it comes to how bizarre it is, but I enjoy it. LOL

While I have loads of Area in my collection I'm ashamed to say I've pretty much ignored his solo stuff. I imagine it not an easy listen.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2011 at 13:40
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't describe it as easy listening, at least after that initial exposure.  

Edited by SaltyJon - September 29 2011 at 13:40
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2011 at 17:01
First review of Il Mare by our good friend Apostolis! Clap

Il mare
Gino D'Eliso Rock Progressivo Italiano

Il mare by DELISO, GINO album cover Studio Album, 1976
3.00 | 1 ratings

BUY

Review by psarros
Collaborator Neo Prog Team
— First review of this album —
3 stars A musician from Trieste,Gino D'Eliso was born in 1951 and studied philosophy and applied psychology.By mid-70's Gino was working as a programmer and director at the bilingual channel RTV Capodistria (in Slovenian and Italian),but Gino was also a talented musician and songwriter,so in 1976 he recorded his first solo album ''Il mare'' with the help of Claudio Pascoli from Pangaea on saxes and flute,released on Numero Uno.

''Il mare'' contains elements from both the typical Italian singer/songwriter style and progressive rock,thus combining different music styles like Folk,Symphonic Rock and Melodic Pop.D'Eliso's voice can be heard all over the place and it is absolutely great,being warm and sensitive.The arrangements are well-performed with intense use of moog synths,acoustic guitars,piano and Pascoli's flutes and saxes,offering a delicate dreamy light symphonic feeling throughout,blended often with the Meditterenean-inspired tunes.Do not expect extended instrumental parts here,the few ones you can detect are dominated by the piano and analog synths,somewhat in a symphonic New Age/Rock mood.The album ends up to be a very soft and gentle listening with no sudden changes or complicated themes,but still with an inner beauty of its own.

D'eliso kept producing albums till mid-80's,but with a less artistic approach and deep into commercial grounds.On the same time he still remained a producer as well as a soundtrack composer for several TV productions.''Il mare'' will definitely leave satisfied all fans of Classic Italian Prog,but could be a great listening for anyone into the lighter and more melodic side of progressive rock.Recommended.

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 03:59

Hi everyone, I duk duk just came back from Napoli. Fantastic place with light and obscurity like in the narrow streets of the city. I have listenned to that song all the week. Pure variety, but not only. Light and obscurity too.

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 08:48
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

^ Always wondered how Anglagard and Pesniary ended up on that list.

Thinking of ordering this CD from Synphonic - I Camaleonti ''Che Aereo Stupendo La Speranza'' - I'm guessing they were another of those beat bands that produced one proggish album during the seventies. Some of it's a bit cheesy but some good tracks as well:

Hey I like this band - I Camaleonti sound great but I cant find the CD online anywhere.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 11:17
^ Hi Scott! Syn-phonic has the CD. Smile
opethpainter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opethpainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2011 at 13:00
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

^ Always wondered how Anglagard and Pesniary ended up on that list.

Thinking of ordering this CD from Synphonic - I Camaleonti ''Che Aereo Stupendo La Speranza'' - I'm guessing they were another of those beat bands that produced one proggish album during the seventies. Some of it's a bit cheesy but some good tracks as well:

Hey I like this band - I Camaleonti sound great but I cant find the CD online anywhere.

on sale from btf:
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 04:30
Maybe some of you might be interested by this avant garde group of the late seventies. It's a mix of everything ( Radio collage, Contemporary classic music, Kautrock style, Electronic ...etc.) but with a touch of italian progressive. This is their first album, I think. The second one is more new wave orientated.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 13:04
^ Hey Pierre, that's extraordinary stuff! Do I feel brave enough to buy I Luoghi del Potere? No reviews yet on that album, I'd love to read your thoughts on it.

Edited by seventhsojourn - October 04 2011 at 13:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 13:48
Hi. Glad you like it. Unfortunatly, if my thoughts are clear, my language is poor. As I used to say in my first post. "I'm a frog. My english is terrible."  Anyway, not an easy album, but maybe a grower. Time will tell.Smile

Here is a interesting review on amazon :

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 14:46

Thanks for highlighting this one, presdoug! Thumbs Up Anyone know if it was released on CD?

Winter Day's Nightmare
Libra Rock Progressivo Italiano

Winter Days Nightmare by LIBRA album cover Studio Album, 1976
5.00 | 1 ratings

BUY  

Review by presdoug
5 stars It is not hard, really, to understand that this brilliant, over-looked album had a hard time being promoted and accepted. Firstly, it was on the Motown label, and one has to wonder if they had any real idea how to market an Italian progressive rock band in the first place. And for the music itself, it is something that was probably "too mainstream for the prog listeners, and too progressive for more mainstream taste". But in giving this record a complete listen, one realises that it had a lot more going for it, musically and lyrically, that it was given credit for. Yes, the album does include main songwriter/guitarist/singer the late Federico D'Andrea, who was the main force behind the band, and his at times quirky and always passionate singing and playing make this still a true Libra album. It is somewhat mainstream, i say somewhat, because that element of the sound is never present in a blatant or annoying way, and Winter Day's Nightmare is still progressive enough to be a great companion album to the band's first and best English spoken album "Libra". The music in Winter Day's Nightmare is quite beautiful, but never trite, and all the songs in it fit in quite nicely. One can always make out what D'Andrea is singing (something not to be take for granted in rock music!), and his unique, almost philosophical perspective at times is fascinating to listen to (especially in Nothing Comes, Nothing Goes) and one is always impressed with what he is singing about. Instrumentally, the band plays tight, and unites a whole host of influences in a way that is accessible without being a blatant sellout in any way-it is a shame that absolutely nobody, the band included, promoted Winter Day's Nightmare in any way. Given a serious look at the music therein, that was definitely a mistake. I give the record five stars.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 14:57
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Hi. Glad you like it. Unfortunatly, if my thoughts are clear, my language is poor. As I used to say in my first post. "I'm a frog. My english is terrible."  Anyway, not an easy album, but maybe a grower. Time will tell.Smile

Here is a interesting review on amazon :

Yep, I'm definitely tempted but I'll need to listen some more... and I made the mistake of letting my wife open my  credit card bill this month! Tongue
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 16:59
Shocked Ooooh, you're on dangerous ground there Chris. I had a bad week last week and the week before when my wife just happened to be around to see every cd that came through the door. The drawbacks of online shopping.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2011 at 17:31

Thanks for highlighting this one, presdoug! Thumbs Up Anyone know if it was released on CD?

Winter Day's Nightmare
Libra Rock Progressivo Italiano

Winter Days Nightmare by LIBRA album cover Studio Album, 1976
5.00 | 1 ratings

BUY  

Review by presdoug
5 stars It is not hard, really, to understand that this brilliant, over-looked album had a hard time being promoted and accepted. Firstly, it was on the Motown label, and one has to wonder if they had any real idea how to market an Italian progressive rock band in the first place. And for the music itself, it is something that was probably "too mainstream for the prog listeners, and too progressive for more mainstream taste". But in giving this record a complete listen, one realises that it had a lot more going for it, musically and lyrically, that it was given credit for. Yes, the album does include main songwriter/guitarist/singer the late Federico D'Andrea, who was the main force behind the band, and his at times quirky and always passionate singing and playing make this still a true Libra album. It is somewhat mainstream, i say somewhat, because that element of the sound is never present in a blatant or annoying way, and Winter Day's Nightmare is still progressive enough to be a great companion album to the band's first and best English spoken album "Libra". The music in Winter Day's Nightmare is quite beautiful, but never trite, and all the songs in it fit in quite nicely. One can always make out what D'Andrea is singing (something not to be take for granted in rock music!), and his unique, almost philosophical perspective at times is fascinating to listen to (especially in Nothing Comes, Nothing Goes) and one is always impressed with what he is singing about. Instrumentally, the band plays tight, and unites a whole host of influences in a way that is accessible without being a blatant sellout in any way-it is a shame that absolutely nobody, the band included, promoted Winter Day's Nightmare in any way. Given a serious look at the music therein, that was definitely a mistake. I give the record five stars.
Thanks for referring to my reviewTongue I am almost certain that it has never made it onto CD.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 07:17
No problem, presdoug, you're very welcome. Thumbs Up

That's a pity, although I thought as much since that one isn't listed in Syn-phonic's catalogue... here's another one we probably won't see on CD.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 08:46
Nice medieval one ! There's so much to reprint ! Let's pray the japanese gods !

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 14:12
I can´t believe how much new stuff that keeps emerging in this thread! 
It´s been a wonderful read - and listen - so far to say the leastBig smile
I´m really curious about the solo stuff from Stratos - and I kind of knew that it wouldn´t be for the faint of heartLOL

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 05 2011 at 14:13
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 15:04
I already spoke about the first album from L'assemblea Musicale Teatrale : "Dietro Le Sbarre ". I made a CDr last week and I can't stop listenning to it. It's really fantastic. Simple and deep. There is some songs on you tube, but the whole album is great. Try it Smile !
 Dietro le sbarre (1976)

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 08:29
Jim I really have to thank you about that La Seconda Genesi albumClap Now I don´t have the funds for anything at the moment (looks like I have to take a break from my studies, because of that tooDead), but thanks to Youtube, I have been listening to these fellas. 
I´m really digging this Jim! Brilliant and messy:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 358>