Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 09:18
Andrea's latest.....Cool

Revado by REVERIE album cover Studio Album, 2011
4.00 | 1 ratings

BUY
Revado
Reverie Prog Folk

Review by andrea
Prog Reviewer

— First review of this album —
4 stars In 2011 Rêverie released on the independent label Downbridge Publishing their best work so far, "Revado", with a line up featuring Valerio Vado (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals), Fanny Fortunati (vocals, percussion), Fulvia Borini (flute, mandolin), Alberto Sozzi (clarinet, keyboards, didjeridoo), Daniele Defranchis (guitars, bass) and Laura Balbinot (cello). The overall sound here is richer than on the previous work and the result of the recording sessions is a well balanced mix of influences ranging from classical music to prog, from folk to Kosmische music. "Revado" was released as a double album with a first disc sung in Esperanto and a second disc featuring the Italian version of the same pieces. The lyrics in Esperanto were written by Andrea Fontana and in my opinion the band managed to explore the sound of this particular language in a very effective way. The Italian version of the same pieces allows an interesting comparison with the sound of the Italian language while in the booklet you can find also a translation of all the lyrics from Esperanto into English checked by the London Esperanto Club.

The opener "La tradezerta komercisto / Il mercante del deserto" (Trader across the desert) takes you on a long journey through hot, exotic landscapes following the tracks of timeless merchants and travellers... "All around, a world of waves / The winding caravan creeps along the dune-edge / Wind burning on my face / No rocks here / But in the heart appears a stony will to live / Burnished by the sand...". The music is evocative and full of warm colours, ethnic and classical instruments embroider flying carpets of notes as the soaring vocals lead the way. When you finally reach an oasis you can get lost in your dreams under a shady palm while time begins to slip from your hands as if it was sand in an hourglass.

The ethereal "Kiam alvenos la fino / Quando verrà la fine" ( When the end comes) is melodic and dreamy. This piece was included in the previous album and here you can find it in a new, improved version. The lyrics depict Death not as the end of your life but as the beginning of a something new, still unknown... "When the End comes, it will be sweet like breath of wind on summer morning / The dear faces of my loved ones will slip away like fading dreams / And I shall be alone...".

"Arkana belulino / La belle dame sans merci" (Arcane beauty) is darker and features electric guitar solo passages, lively percussion patterns, mellotron touches and a mysterious atmosphere. The lyrics depict a strange love story between a man and a beautiful dancer, a dangerous woman with a magic smile... "You have entered my life on the waves of mystery / And now I remember no more whether ever I knew your hidden origin...". Once the man is under the spell of the woman he has no escape, the beautiful creature is biding her time, ready to strike... "Now you kiss my neck with unhesitating force / See, a stage exit / A life cut short by bites...".

"Plurmiljaraj knaboj / Ragazzi millenari" (Boys across millennia) has a strong Mediterranean flavour and tells the story of two boys, Ishmael and Isaac, two brothers separated by a wall that prevent them from understand each other. It's a metaphorical way to depict the never ending conflict between Israel and Palestine... "Our brotherhood is shattered thanks to despair / I so wish that he would call me... But these calls cannot be, because of the wall...".

"Danco de l' maro / Danza del mare" (Dance of the sea) begins softly, with the sound of the waves in the background and beautiful vocals soaring from the sea... "From a dark wave of the sea / Suddenly flickers like a tinkling bell / The light of the free spirit with taste as bitter as sea...". Then the rhythm takes off and you can set your thoughts free while dancing with the sea. This piece reminds me every now and again of Angelo Branduardi and blends in some way Renaissance classical music with touches of Latin folklore.

"Plurestantaj momoroj / Via dei ricordi" (Lasting memories) is a new version of another track included in the previous album. An electric guitar solo, sound effects and an uneasy mood lead to melodic vocals that revive the memories of an old journey, precious pictures that can still fill your soul with warmth and make you hear the sound of the wind and an echo of forgotten voices... "Would the impressions leave some room where newly hope could grow? / Within the lasting memories, is there clue to the way ahead?...".

"Koto kay lumo / Fango e luce" (Mud and light) is melancholic and dark. The music alternates acoustic and electric passages while the lyrics deal with the mysteries of our brain and some philosophical issues such as free will and knowledge. Maybe freedom is just a dream and the forces of Mother Nature are stronger than our will... "Even if I could foretell the workings of the brain by some mighty computer / Would that really mean that every choice of mine is just self-delusion?...".

"Pluvas rosmareno / Piove rosmarino" (Rosemary rain) is a dreamy, melodic love song where ancient myths and visions seem almost coming to life in a surreal, ethereal atmosphere and the borders between dream and reality are blurred... "No longer can frontiers mark difference between two mingled seas / Which through love and through divinity have become an Ocean...". The long, complex "Silkovojo / Via della seta" (Silk road) is a suite divided into three parts. It describes in music and words a dreamy journey along the Silk Road, from Europe to the ancient city of Kashgar, in Western China... "Weighed down with dreams, I crossed the sea / And now I wander quietly among the dunes in a still atmosphere / This is my reality / Only such dreams light up life / Like lamps lighting us from within / To guide our wandering on the Earth...". An excellent track!

The instrumental "Oceano / Oceano" (Ocean) concludes the album. It's an experimental, "cosmic" piece written and performed by Alberto Sozzi featuring about six minutes of sound effects and evocative clarinet lines. It adds more colours to a very interesting album that, according to the band, should be considered as a tribute to the eternal need of looking for new horizons.

andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 14:22
^^^ Thank you!  Smile 

Bye the way, here you can find some pics and samples...

http://italianprogmap.blogspot.it/2013/01/languages-and-sounds.html
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 14:41
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

reissued on vinyl....awesome....

Jim, I'd like to retract my statement about the Hero album, if I may?

For some reason, I thought it was that `Mr Do' album from the early 80's that Pierre recommended once. I remember THAT as being undemanding and pleasant....but giving a few tracks of this Hero album on Youtube a spin and it wasn't much to my liking at all....English vocals the main culprit! But it sounded more like The Nice...think I'll give it a miss?

Jim, I know you gave it a good review, is it worth persevering with?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 14:51
Can't remember much Michael, been a while since I spun it....my recollections are generally positive though aside from the language choice....seemed like it was an eclectic twist on heavy, kraut influenced?  I don't know, like I said its beena  while and i've heard 1000 albums sinceLOL  my memory isn't the greatest anymore

timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 15:49

A beautiful track from Fabio Frizzi
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 17:12
^ that's a really cool album, as is "city of the living dead" from the same periodClap

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 18:28
^^ Lovely mix of the orchestra in that Fabio tune Thumbs Up.

My newest addition is Metamorfosi - Inferno.  Totally love it!  Loads of keyboards and the lead vocalist is the best I have heard so far in RPI!  I like him more than Banco vocals.

For the passer by that wants to hear:

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 18:32
^ Oh I love that album!Big smile

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 18:47
^ Yes, it grabbed me from the 1rst track Introduzione till the end.  Its been on endless loop this week Smile

Read your review of it, excellent!  I have sort of not been reading reviews of some albums until after I get them just to be a little surprised, this was one of them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2013 at 22:35
so great, and should be in RPI for this album.....thanks Kyle!Clap

Posted Saturday, January 19, 2013, 20:38 EST | Review Permalink | Submit a review for this album
 Gudrun by PIERROT LUNAIRE album cover Studio Album, 1976
3.68 | 54 ratings

BUY
Gudrun
Pierrot Lunaire Prog Folk

Review by coasterzombie

4 stars Gudrun is a fascinating, challenging listen that defies categorization and at times is difficult to get through. But those that do are treated to a unique offering in the realm of Italian Prog. Gudrun is not quite prog folk, electronic, neo-classical or RIO but contains elements of each. Those familiar with Pierrot Lunaire's folksy debut album released three years earlier are in for quite a shock: This is a completely different animal, dense and robust, and not one-dimensional like the first album. Gudrun is hard to describe but anyone with a taste for the bizarre will have something to latch onto, which is not to say the album is totally avant- garde. Innovative is more like it. It is because of that pioneering spirit that Pierrot Lunaire gets a bonus star, and allows me to bump the rating to four out of five.

The extensive title track is the main attraction and does it ever deliver. Nearly twelve minutes of pressurized prog perfection await those adventurous enough to try it. "Gudrun" begins like a soundscape - a whispering loop of synthesized flute is presented in a Musique concrète fashion. This may be one of the first instances of a style that would later be called ambient music. Then abruptly at the two-minute mark a familiar Italian symphonic quality takes over. Not two minutes after, the group morphs into something like Picchio dal Pozzo and presents a theatrical, keyboard-laden foundation. Then Jaqueline Darby sings. Her vocals will be the make-or-break factor for many, as the operatic style and warbling oscillation is a lot to handle at times. I think this device is used sparingly enough to not detract from the fantastic musicianship on display, but others may disagree. If you can make it through the last half of "Gudrun," you've earned your prog stripes.

Arturo Salteri is a striking piano talent, and nowhere is this more evident than "Dietro Il Silenzio." His restraint and light touch create a lovely, if somewhat brief, interlude. "Plaisir d'amour" is far less enjoyable and plays like a twisted cover of Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love." I don't know if the musical similarity was intentional or coincidental, but the two are so similar I can't help but think it's the former. "Gallia" features a heavy dose of Darby's avian voice, and is regrettably skippable. "Giovane Madre" however is an instant classic. A hearty slice of RPI paradise, the song is conveniently packaged in a four-minute parcel anyone can digest. "Sonde In Profondita" begins as a sound collage and brilliantly transitions to a delicate composition, thanks to Salteri's keyboard work. The song hearkens back to Pierrot Lunaire's debut and sets the tone perfectly for "Morella." The penultimate track is a conglomeration of everything to this point, and should probably just end the album. Instead, the average "Mein Armer Italiener" prevents what could be a concise masterpiece of the genre. Gudrun is still an worthwhile disc for thorough collections and lovers of the outlandish.

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 03:30
^ Yeah I saw that, and I was so glad to see another favorable review for this exceptional album. Love those woman moanings too...Wink
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 03:57
Great album guys, but the first one is excellent too :

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 04:51
Pierre!

Guess what album I would love to see reissued in a nice new affordable CD?! Thanks to your initial recommendation!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4925

What a lovely charming album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 05:00
Ignore me, Pierre, it seems to be available on a few Ebay sites and a few online vendors, I should have checked before posting! I assumed it was well out of print! I think I'll snap it up, I really enjoy it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 05:00
Michael, I don't understand. The Mo.do CD album exists and it is cheap Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 05:03
See my above post lol !

I assumed like most of the Mellow albums it was long deleted and a super rarity! WRONG!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - January 20 2013 at 05:05
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 05:09

Many old mellow records can be bought in Greece. Don't know why the greek sellers have this in their stock. I'm not at home today, but I 'll tell you more when i come back.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 05:14
No worries, Pierre! Enjoy your time away!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 06:41
I also agree with you Mike about Mo.do. being another late goodie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 06:51
Hey there Sagi! Has your `Strave' shown up yet?!

I was listening to it today, it's really nice! Just very tasteful, dependable RPI! I'm not sure if Youtube has all the tracks posted, but I'm going to buy this in the next few days. Really lovely Italian prog to chill out too!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 183184185186187 358>