Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moogtron III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:20
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

i Giganti - Terra in Baca (great! But only had a couple of listens so far)

A great album!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2013 at 11:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 03:00
1976. Morricone plays the trumpet. Another Hangover music. Wink
Gruppo Di Improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza - Omaggio A Giacinto Scelsi

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:07
Conqueror entered the recording studio at the end of october 2012.

So I think it won't be too long till the new album.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Doctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 11:11
^Clap  Thanks TheH. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 21:26
^ I am not familar with Congueror and just checked out some of the posted "tubes" on PA (link below) and enjoyed what I heard.Approve 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 17:11
Side effects Smile

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:17
Pierre, I've got that Samadhi one, but barely listened to it yet, it's been very neglected by me! I've had too much to listen to lately....What a silly complaint, `oh poor me, too many albums to listen to!'
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:34
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Let's talk again of this great album. Heart

I really enjoy anything Regoli sings on! I don't like this as much as RRR, but it has some really great moments. Especially the last track, L'Ultima Spiaggia, although Fantasia and the jazzy Passagio di Via Arpino are very good too. The opener Un Uomo Stanco is also a nice track. Overall not as out there or interesting as RRR, but definitely worth checking out, IMO.

Thanks for the reminder, Pierre!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 18:56
Yeah guys, it was fun to rediscover Samadhi. I've spent the last few months knocking on the door of Frank zappa. 20 years that I try to enter. I think that I found the key.
Back now to where I belong.  Hug
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 19:20
Wow, FZ is so hit or miss for me. Some of it I really enjoy (Hot Rats and Grand Wazoo, especially), some of it I really dislike. 

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:18
I really like the Samadhi album und like Todd I like the last track the most.
It always reminds me of a proggy version of an Italo Western soundtrack.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 09:50
I agree and there are harmonies that remind me of the english pop movement of the end of the seventies or beginning of the eighties. I think of the first album of Aztec Camera
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 10:15
The Samadhi does nothing for me.

Now, Frank Zappa, on the other hand...
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 10:43
So I first started listening to Italian progressive rock when I was in high school.  Always love the sounds but never understood a word they were singing.  And today as I am rediscovering all the music i loved back in the day and hearing new music that I have never heard, I still cannot understand a word they are singing.  So I am going to change all that.  Yesterday, my Rosetta Stone Italian course arrived in the mail.  I am going to learn Italian so I can sing along with (and understand) my favorite songs!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 10:53
^ Sounds great! Let us know how the course goes, and which artists you grow to appreciate because of the profound message! Wink

Who are your favorites?

My Gnosis Ratings

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 11:15
Hi Todd.  Thanks for the encouragement!  Lately I have been listening to Il Rovescio Della Medaglia and Il Balleto de Bronzo a lot.  Found some cool live clips of PFM on youtube, too.
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 13:46
Hi Larree!  Be sure to check out Le Orme and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso as well.  Two of the best.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 13:55
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Hi Todd.  Thanks for the encouragement!  Lately I have been listening to Il Rovescio Della Medaglia and Il Balleto de Bronzo a lot.  Found some cool live clips of PFM on youtube, too.

Those two albums (I'm assuming you mean Contaminazione and Ys) I think represent well the opposite poles of RPI--refined, stately, classical sensibilities contrasted with crazy, raucous, experimental, borderline insane. If you love both, there's almost nothing in the sub-genre that you wouldn't find something to like about.

Well, except the singer/songwriter stuff--how do you feel about that?

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 201202203204205 358>