Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 14:45
Such a diversity in the field of Progressive Music exists only in the Italy of the 70's. And many treasures are still hidden ...

coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:33
"borderline insane" is the most accurate description of Ys I've ever heard.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:47
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Such a diversity in the field of Progressive Music exists only in the Italy of the 70's. And many treasures are still hidden ...

Agreed, good Pierre! Although there are a lot of below the surface UK bands that were really ahead of their time and diverse also. I've just come across Marsupilami--I'd never heard of them before about 6 months ago, and they have quickly joined the favorites. But as far as pure diversity, I don't think Italy can be beat.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 15:48
Originally posted by coasterzombie coasterzombie wrote:

"borderline insane" is the most accurate description of Ys I've ever heard.

That's insane in a really really great way! Wacko

I like the last word in Linus's Ys review: Perfetto.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 16:02
Todd, your Marsupilami sounds great, italian sometimes (Museo for the first album). Great find ! Clap .
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:36

Hi Larree!  Be sure to check out Le Orme and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso as well.  Two of the best.

Love both bands!  Got turned on to them in the seventies when I was in high school.  Definitely two of the best!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:38

Todd, your Marsupilami sounds great, italian sometimes (Museo for the first album). Great find ! Clap .

Thumbs Up

Their first album was 1970. When I think about what other later to be big bands were doing then (except King Crimson), well it is simply amazing.

My Gnosis Ratings

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:47
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Hi Todd.  Thanks for the encouragement!  Lately I have been listening to Il Rovescio Della Medaglia and Il Balleto de Bronzo a lot.  Found some cool live clips of PFM on youtube, too.

Those two albums (I'm assuming you mean Contaminazione and Ys) I think represent well the opposite poles of RPI--refined, stately, classical sensibilities contrasted with crazy, raucous, experimental, borderline insane. If you love both, there's almost nothing in the sub-genre that you wouldn't find something to like about.

Well, except the singer/songwriter stuff--how do you feel about that?

Hey!  I'm a singer/songwriter!  Wink  LOL
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 19:51
^ Excellent! It's just a strong branch of RPI that's not included in that Rovescio/Balletto spectrum. I suppose you could say there are some shared characteristics with Rovescio (melody, structure), but it still feels pretty distinct. Lots of great artists like this (Testa, Panseri, D'Errico, Pieretti, Barbaja, etc)

My Gnosis Ratings

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 21:55
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Hi Larree!  Be sure to check out Le Orme and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso as well.  Two of the best.

Love both bands!  Got turned on to them in the seventies when I was in high school.  Definitely two of the best!
Welcome Larree!  It took me until a few months ago to discover this wonderful genre, so it must have been fantastic to hear these around the time of release back then...

Pierre, was that a RPI miner duck or a minor one above? Tongue

Edited by AEProgman - March 21 2013 at 21:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 02:47
Yes. That's  a real RPI miner duck, one of my valiant healer soldiers that night after night bravely go down in the bottomless hole of the Italian boot, looking for a scar in the thigh, a sprained ankle or a redness in the heel, then come back in the morning sick of hapiness.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 09:50

Thumbs Up

Their first album was 1970. When I think about what other later to be big bands were doing then (except King Crimson), well it is simply amazing.

Marsupilami are amazing! I love that stuff, but I actually prefer their second album Arena, do you know it Todd?

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 16:31
^ Yes, I love that album! But I think I prefer their first by just a hair. But both are essential!

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 16:41

^ Excellent! It's just a strong branch of RPI that's not included in that Rovescio/Balletto spectrum. I suppose you could say there are some shared characteristics with Rovescio (melody, structure), but it still feels pretty distinct. Lots of great artists like this (Testa, Panseri, D'Errico, Pieretti, Barbaja, etc)

I'm quoting myself here because I want to elaborate just a bit. And because I neglected to mention some of the more important figures--Lucio Battisti and Fabrizio De Andre. The latter has close ties with PFM--in fact their last studio album (most excellent, by the way) was a revision of De Andre's classic 1970 album La Buona Novella.

Our beloved RPI bands owe much to these wonderful artists. 

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:33
1970. A brazilian artist, but the singing is italian. Ennio Morricone wrote the arrangements. A real Gem.

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:43
^ Wow, that's some wonderful music, Pierre! I don't know a lot of samba/bossa nova music, mostly Joao Gilberto. But that's really great! 

And thanks for the De Andre post as well. Great album!

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 18:51
Thanks Todd. This one is in italian too.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 23:30
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

Thumbs Up

Marsupilami are amazing! I love that stuff, but I actually prefer their second album Arena, do you know it Todd?

Right on Sagi....Arena is awesome....Clap

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 23:39
I'm glad you like it too my friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202203204205206 358>