Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 00:15
Wow.  I am listening to Marsupilami for the very first time tonight.  Thanks for the awesome turn on, guys.  Arena just might be my new favorite old album!

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:41
Adharma - Risvegli. Ep version Thumbs Up

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 03:41
Oh no, now I feel like the odd man out! I've always found the vocals on `Arena' unbearable!!

But....I've only ever given it barely two listens, so because there's a lot of people in here who's opinion I rate very highly, I'll dig it out again.

I did win the remastered CD off a local Ebay vendor in Melbourne for $5 Aus a few months back, but perhaps unfairly I relegated it to the back of the CD cabinet in the back room too quickly.

I'll give it another go!
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 13:00
Hey Aussie Byrd Bro...  have you given it another listen?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 18:48
New addition from the RPI team.  Thanks to Chris for the addition and a nod to Pierre for bringing the suite to our attention!
La Sensazioni

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7956

Hopefully someone will reissue on CD!!!!!

Edited by Finnforest - March 24 2013 at 18:50

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 19:26
It is amazing how deep this genre is with quality music compared to so many other genres.  Usually you can say with confidence that 95% of the music in every genre out there blows.  But it is almost the complete opposite in RPI!  Since finding this forum I have heard a bunch of RPI music I have never heard before that I like as much as some of my old faves from back in the day.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 19:42
AIE AGRRRRREEEEE !

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 16:26
Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Hey Larree! Given the first half (ie side a of the original vinyl) two listens again, and although I'm not at full love for it yet, it's closer than it's ever been!

Where I used to find the vocals flat and kind of goofy, I'm starting to think they sound rather tortured and primal, which suits the lyrics and themes of the music rather well!

I also like that the album has kind of a rough and dirty production, which gives it a bit of grit.

I'll keep at it, and thanks to you and the others for accidently suggesting for me to dig it out again!
Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Larree Larree wrote:

Hey Larree! Given the first half (ie side a of the original vinyl) two listens again, and although I'm not at full love for it yet, it's closer than it's ever been!

Where I used to find the vocals flat and kind of goofy, I'm starting to think they sound rather tortured and primal, which suits the lyrics and themes of the music rather well!

I also like that the album has kind of a rough and dirty production, which gives it a bit of grit.

I'll keep at it, and thanks to you and the others for accidently suggesting for me to dig it out again!

Awesome!  I am going to listen to it again today.  This will be my third listen.  Takes a lot to get three listens out of me these days!  Gotta be good!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 16:57
Sorry guys. I'm not confortable in the Arena. I prefer the first album ... .Confused

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 17:02
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Sorry guys. I'm not confortable in the Arena. I prefer the first album ... .Confused

I will have to find it and give it a listen next.  If it is as good as this one, or perhaps even better, I know I am in for a treat.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2013 at 17:17
So long that we have not mentioned the sweet name of Battiato.

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 05:40
^ love that one!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 05:44
Just have this another spin tonight, some great stuff throughout the two discs

JazzMusicArchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2013 at 15:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 02:36
Guys, just got this today and gave it a first spin, what's your opinion on it?

Osanna - Landscape of Life:

Initial impession is very strong, although the duel English/Italian lyrics are odd. The album has such a thick (and espensive sounding!) production!

Strangely, some of the more intense stuff on the first and fourth tracks sounded like a blueprint that the two Mars Volta main guys followed exactly (even though I don't really like them much), that same fiery aggression and snappy arrangements.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - March 28 2013 at 02:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 08:23

Initial impession is very strong, although the duel English/Italian lyrics are odd. The album has such a thick (and espensive sounding!) production!

Strangely, some of the more intense stuff on the first and fourth tracks sounded like a blueprint that the two Mars Volta main guys followed exactly (even though I don't really like them much), that same fiery aggression and snappy arrangements.

Hey!  I do like this album but I personally find it to be their least satisfying. Some killer tracks in there (I do love the opener too), but on some of them I can't help feeling like it's somehow clear they're just about to break up as a band? As if their whole hearts weren't into each song?

I've been meaning to review it for ages, actually, and I know what you mean about the Mars Volta, I get a bit of that feel from Osanna sometimes for sure
JazzMusicArchives.
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 09:21

I actually enjoy it quite a bit considering.  Not Osanna's most popular album but way better than L'Uomo!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 09:38

Poster for one of the classic RPI festivals.....thanks to Yoshiko for posting on FB

@[100001967282886:2048:Gianni Belleno] @[1057275802:2048:Maurizio Salvi Gonzaga] @[100000218094183:2048:Joe Vescovi] @[100001252087828:2048:Marco Zoccheddu] Gianni Leone Fabrizio Zampa Lino Vairetti alcuni Nomi di Artisti che hanno contribuito con le loro testimonianze all interno del libro :http://www.aereostella.it/news.php?news=220&amp;#13;&amp;#10;&amp;#13;&amp;#10; ESCE OGGI Da Caracalla a Villa Pamphilij. Il prog a Roma sullonda di Woodstock di Anna Bisceglie&amp;#13;&amp;#10;28-03-2013&amp;#13;&amp;#10;&amp;#13;&amp;#10;Un’autentica, pervasiva rivoluzione attraversava quotidianamente l’Italia tra il 1965 e il 1972 e la chiave di tutto, la parola d’ordine che apriva porte mai immaginate (e altrettante ne sbatteva in faccia) più della politica era la musica. &amp;#13;&amp;#10; &amp;#13;&amp;#10;Il libro: &quot;Da Caracalla a Villa Pamphilij. Il prog a Roma sullonda di Woodstock&quot; di Anna Bisceglie raccoglie le voci dei protagonisti del tempo, fissa i ricordi, le esperienze e punti di partenza sempre nuovi perché la musica è un viaggio che non ha fine e, immancabilmente, cè sempre qualcuno pronto a mettersi in gioco e a raccogliere lennesima sfida.&amp;#13;&amp;#10;@[1631618079:2048:Anna Bisceglie] @[100001704649802:2048:New Trolls Brindisi] @[100001642294348:2048:New Trolls Fc] @[1152323875:2048:Roberto Saporiti] @[100000014181578:2048:Gianfranco Mele] @[100000641796908:2048:Rosy Belleno]

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 14:17
Thirty times that i listen to that album and it's still a shock !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 358>