Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 16:09
(After having listened to the tracks linked by Pierre) I read the review on John's Classic Rock blog. No one really knows precisely who is (or was) Paolo Ferrara and when he composed that library rock album, very remiscent of Pink Floyd (P.F. the same initials) Meddle, DSotM and Wish You Were Here.

It looks like an air of mystery surrounds this record!!!Shocked

Samples seem too modern sounding to be dated from 1971 (or 1972). It should be a work conceived and crafted after the year 1975. So those experts say.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - April 06 2013 at 17:08
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:03
I like mystery Tongue

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:13
I know you're going to resolve the case, Sherduck.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:18
I'm already looking for clues ...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:27
Of course, no need to tell.Wink You doubled your efforts.

Tubes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tubes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 17:29
I'm a big fan of Premiata Forneria Marconi, especially their second album, Per Un Amico, from 1972. The music has characteristics that one might attribute to Gentle Giant, although they're executed far better by these Italians guys. LOL
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 19:56
^ PFM's Per Un Amico was my first RPI album and it is one of the reasons I became addicted to this genre...their first album is excellent also.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 19:59
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I'm already looking for clues ...

That little ducky is about to stumble upon a mystery...is that a 6th toe beginning to grow?!? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2013 at 21:47
Big smile  Many forums around the world are talking about that Paolo Ferrara's album. Everywhere the same question : 1971 or 1978 ? Before or After Pink Floyd ?
Last news : In Italy, in the seventies, a kind of date stamp was used by some record companies. It seems that the stamp ot this particular album indicates 1978, which means that the year of publication would be not earlier than the notable Floyd albums.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 02:06
Pierre, I got to hear two wonderful albums today, I wonder if you know them! The first -

SPIRALE - Spirale (1974).

A wonderful Italian jazz album with a bit of an identity crisis! Considering it's Italian, the first track sounds more like `Out Of Focus' (pretty sure they were German?), and there's also Samba, salsa, and fusion elements later on in the album too . By the end it reminded me a little of Arti e Mestieri in places, mainly due to the violin. I know you like jazz, so I think this album might be to your liking. No classic, but the first track `Rising' was terrific. The rest was decent overall too.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 02:21
The second one, Pierre, really floored me! Very impressed here:

FRANCO DELFINO - Astrattismo 3

Now this wonderful instrumental album has TOTAL identity crisis! It starts off very melancholic - lots of murky brooding classical jazz piano with the darkest of dark synths. Very eerie. Then it turns into a cold and icy electronic album, before a few tracks later ending up like a Romantic prog album like Camel/Rousseau (just the synths, I didn't pick up on any guitars on the album), then back again. There's also some very metallic and frightening eexperimental electronic soundscapes. It's all over the place, but every track was a winner. What a fascinating album!!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 02:41
Thanks Michael, Thumbs Up I knew the first album, but not this blue one. Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:11
Do you like that first one Pierre? It's not the most excitng jazz-related album, but still very respectable, and occasionally really great!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:33
Yeah. I 've always liked that kind of music between Library, Prog,  Jazz ...etc. Persimfans is that kind of disk that you can't classify. RPI is full of such things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 03:38
Franco Delfino - Araldica

There is a third album by Franco Delfino called Araldica. No more informations.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 08:24
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Big smile  Many forums around the world are talking about that Paolo Ferrara's album. Everywhere the same question : 1971 or 1978 ? Before or After Pink Floyd ?
Last news : In Italy, in the seventies, a kind of date stamp was used by some record companies. It seems that the stamp ot this particular album indicates 1978, which means that the year of publication would be not earlier than the notable Floyd albums.

Excellent! Another (prog) mystery brilliantly solved by our Sherduck Holmes.Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 09:14
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 09:38
La Bottega dell'arte's debut is such a beautiful album.  People can brush it off as "just pop" if they want to, but I still love it.  I wish they would re-issue it, and Dentro, the 2nd album.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 09:57
Jim, I have the Mellow CD.  A must Thumbs Up ! 

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 10:09
Oh I love that song....just reviewed the album yesterday. 

Do you have Dentro too Pierre?  I'm wondering if it is as good as the first.  Opinion is very mixed out there...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 209210211212213 358>