Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 11:13
Definitely not, Jim. The prog side is lost in the second album. Remains the classic songs.
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 21:49
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

La Bottega dell'arte's debut is such a beautiful album.  People can brush it off as "just pop" if they want to, but I still love it.  I wish they would re-issue it, and Dentro, the 2nd album.

I need to give this one another chance...I always write it off as pseudo-prog and never give it an honest listen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 10:50
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 17:39
Oh Pierre, you had me at Jacula! :)

Will look into this when I'm home!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 18:43
One of the greatest treasure of late seventies RPI. Thumbs Up Check it before it's too late !

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 07:06
Finally completely 'warmed' to the first Alphataurus album. I've had it since 2011 when Jim recommended it (along with about 50 other albums Smile) and although I liked it when I first heard it, I now love it.

Especially 'La Mente Volta,' awesome

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - April 09 2013 at 07:07
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 07:38
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Finally completely 'warmed' to the first Alphataurus album. I've had it since 2011 when Jim recommended it (along with about 50 other albums Smile) and although I liked it when I first heard it, I now love it.

Especially 'La Mente Volta,' awesome

Clap  Agree!  I played it over and over for about 2 weeks when I first got it.

I also like Dopo I'uragano, very heavy and bluesy, that song reminded me of Bloodrock, a heavy band from Texas in the 70's.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:02
Latest achievements, I went light and heavy or I should say heavenly and hellish.
Celeste - Pricipe di un Giorno for the heavenly part, very delightful!
Celeste Principe di un Giorno album cover
And the hellish part, Biglietto per L'inferno.
I remember Michael mentioning this one around the end of last year in this thread and put it on my list.  Nice and heavy and a little dark!
Biglietto Per LInferno Biglietto Per LInferno album cover
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:25
Two mastepieces, Jimmy. Tongue
coasterzombie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coasterzombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 13:59
It doesn't get much better than those two!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 14:45

A mystery for our Denizens to solve.  I got a message from a member....

Hi Jim,

I have been desperately looking for an Italian rock band that I had on a cassette in 1970's. What I need is somebody who can give me the name of the band by my word description of the album I had. If you will be so kind to help me I will be the most grateful.

The description:

1. I am not sure the band's genre is progressive rock but it is definitely symphonic rock with long compositions and such instruments as piano and violins (sounding sometimes like a symphonic orchestra).
2. The vocalist is male; there is just one voice.
3. The songs language is Italian but one song in English.
4. The song in English is some relatively famous American song (I can't find it either) of 1970's which refrain containing words "Stop! la-la-la-laaaaa" (sorry for such minimum of information, this is what I remember from my childhood:)); the word Stop is VERY accented.
5. There is a song (with words) based on music of Baroque composer Marcello; the song is long, impressive and looks like the main act of the album.
6. There is a song called Jesus. I have found this song performed by another musician but it does not help me in my search.

Well, basically this is it:((
Again, all I need is the band's name.

Can we help him??????Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 15:04
A possible band close to that description is RDM, but there 's no song called Jesus in their catalog.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 18:26
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

And the hellish part, Biglietto per L'inferno.

I remember Michael mentioning this one around the end of last year in this thread and put it on my list.  Nice and heavy and a little dark!

AEP/Jim, my friend, so glad you like that one! I read something interesting about it, a review that suggested the slightly murky production is the main reason the album has a kind of `darkness' to it. Not sure I agree totally, I think the album is quite serious with a few rough edges even before you pay more attention to the production.

But thanks for the shout out to it, I'm going to listen to it right now!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 19:39
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

A mystery for our Denizens to solve.  I got a message from a member....

Hi Jim,

I have been desperately looking for an Italian rock band that I had on a cassette in 1970's. What I need is somebody who can give me the name of the band by my word description of the album I had. If you will be so kind to help me I will be the most grateful.

The description:

1. I am not sure the band's genre is progressive rock but it is definitely symphonic rock with long compositions and such instruments as piano and violins (sounding sometimes like a symphonic orchestra).

2. The vocalist is male; there is just one voice.

3. The songs language is Italian but one song in English.

4. The song in English is some relatively famous American song (I can't find it either) of 1970's which refrain containing words "Stop! la-la-la-laaaaa" (sorry for such minimum of information, this is what I remember from my childhood:)); the word Stop is VERY accented.

5. There is a song (with words) based on music of Baroque composer Marcello; the song is long, impressive and looks like the main act of the album.

6. There is a song called Jesus. I have found this song performed by another musician but it does not help me in my search.

Well, basically this is it:((

Again, all I need is the band's name.

Can we help him??????Smile

Jim, Pierre!

The album mystery...I've got a total mental blank on the name of the album/artist, but it had a painting on the front, a large close up on a woman's (a witch?) face, with illustrations around her...I recently bought the 2CD BTF reissue, which had the added live album as a second disc – I spoke to you about both about it, and said I bought it because of reading Jim's review of it!

I remember the cd booklet mentioned the main member of the band went on to have some connection to Bartocetti and the Rex projects?

Now, the only reason I can't check what it's called while I'm at work is because my Ipod crashed the other night, and it lost all the album covers, so I can't even just locate it from recognising the front cover!

Now, the reason I thought of this one...it had (I'm sure) a track called `Everyday Jesus', which had the same line over and over in chorus, which might be why it could be considered to be in English?

Sorry for this rambling incoherent description!

When I get home, I'll race to my shelf and search out the CD
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 20:10
Raminghi!      :)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 20:13
Ramin - DAMMIT!

Just beat me Jim, literally just thought of it too!

Not sure if it's our phantom album or not though...the mystery continues!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 21:38
Yeah, I'm not sure it meets all of criterias 1, 4, and 5.  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2013 at 05:53
CRAZY ITALIANS ! Incredible 1979 electro avant garde stuff !!!!! CD.

Insieme Musica Diversa, which can be translated in different ways (as diverse music toghether, or different collective music ecc.) truly is a source of endless enchantment. Merging elements of DIY electronica, psychedelia, noise, progressive and free-form rock, Insiememusicadiversa created a sound even they don’t seem to fully recognise. Long hypnotic tracks and frantic drumming emerging seemingly by accident from the twilight of out-there chanting and radical electronic excursion. They are only apparently anarchic while they manage to maintain their lucid dream: to have a deep base collective sound tuned toghether and to have the drumming "tuned" to a rhythm that corresponded to the vibrations.

Larree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 22:13
Rosetta Stone update!  Finishing up week three of my journey.  I am definitely not ready to even try to converse, however, I do find myself blurting out some of the Italian phrases and words I have learned when I am out driving around.  And when I went to a local Italian restaurant the other night some of the words on the menu seemed to "pop" out at me like a 3D picture.  And I don't understand the lyrics to the songs I listen to yet, but the language sounds more natural and "native" to my ears.  I think it's working!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 22:21
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Jacula is back ! (1979)

Curious title indeed duckman, thanks for reminding meCool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 210211212213214 358>