Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 12:43
Nick, still a few days off, I've got an Antonius Rex `Praeternatural' one to go before then, but not long after that!

Actually, at work right now I'm listening to an Italian album I think you'd really dig called `Perigeo' by a band called Il Giardino Oniricio', very lovely prog metal with tasteful Italian grandeur and subtlety, ambient elements, spacerock - bit like Riverside is a very lazy comparison! I recieved my bought CD from Greg Walker/Syn-phonic yesterday but someone else who reviewed it on here mentioned it's available to listen to in Youtube! It's not a proper RPI albu, but check it out, I think it might be your sort of thing! :)

Perhaps try the tracks `Amigdala' or `Utopia Planitia'.

Anyone else heard this great Italian album?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 29 2013 at 12:45
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 13:25
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Ooooooh DUNS--EROS is on my hit list. Came out on a good year too....year I was born. Can't mess with music from 1981. :)

Also. I'll be reading that review for sure Micheal. Wouldnt miss that. :)
I didn't think we were able to discuss musique Francaise on the Italian Prog thread...........LOLLOL.  Oh well, DUN - Eros = MAGNIFIQUE..............
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 13:26
^ yup. Great. Found it online. Gonna give the whole album a spin when I get home. Gotta run a few errands and then it's prog time. Thank you and the album cover reminds me of norbert kueller's Ambigious Points of few and Roger Dean's Tales from the topographic ocean. :) very cool. Can already sense the spacey feel to it. Thank you. I'll let ya know how I like it soon.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 18:22
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nick, still a few days off, I've got an Antonius Rex `Praeternatural' one to go before then, but not long after that!

Actually, at work right now I'm listening to an Italian album I think you'd really dig called `Perigeo' by a band called Il Giardino Oniricio', very lovely prog metal with tasteful Italian grandeur and subtlety, ambient elements, spacerock - bit like Riverside is a very lazy comparison! I recieved my bought CD from Greg Walker/Syn-phonic yesterday but someone else who reviewed it on here mentioned it's available to listen to in Youtube! It's not a proper RPI albu, but check it out, I think it might be your sort of thing! :)

Perhaps try the tracks `Amigdala' or `Utopia Planitia'.

Anyone else heard this great Italian album?

Awe Micheal!!! Excellent album! I truly enjoyed Il Giardino!! I think I even like this album more than the Q Abduccion you recommended a few months back. Anyway, the last track was an epic beauty and my favourite on the album. Thank you so much. It's such a gift being part of this forum. Also, I know this is not Italian here, but did you get a chance to listen to Zombi's SPIRIT ANIMAL yet? Awe sooooooo good dear brother. Actually Peregio reminds me of Zombi take on Spirit Animal. Oh one last thing. Did ya think the conversation interludes between tracks reminded you of Vangelis's album THE CITY? I do. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 19:00
Yeah, I was at work thinking `f*********k' over and over on listening to that Il Giardino album lol! . Just too good! I think I wrongly labelled it purely as `prog metal', because although there's heavier parts, there's a real....open and spacial feel to it, heaps of room for the pieces to drift on and build an incredible mood. They've definately got a lot of love for that late 60's/early 70's Pink Floyd sound.

I haven't heard that particular Vangelies album, sorry! I do wish those `interludes' were listed as seprate tracks and could therefore be programmed out, even though I like them, I'm a real sucker for totally instrumental albums! But the whole album is very classy and hugely exciting....I really should get onto that Zombi one you mentioned! Pay back the favour, eh?!

I should add, this was only from listening to it down pretty low at my desk, can't wait to play it in the car or through a proper stereo pumped up at a decent level!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 29 2013 at 19:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:31
^ you are my hero today. I've been enjoying my progressivo Italiano big time today. Listening to Il Fantasico Viaggio Del Bagarozzo Mark. How good is this? Omg it's amazing and the vocals really work on it.
On this album I've realized that Pignatelli is an elite bass player and writes some incredible music and it's so evident on Bagarozzo. Such an upbeat album too! I just love it. Viva Italia.

Also. Love to hear others opinion here on the vocals for Bagarozzo. :) I think they work, especially on the track Opera Magnifica.

Anyway. Thank you again Micheal. Your the hero of the day for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 20:34
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Yeah, I was at work thinking `f*********k' over and over on listening to that Il Giardino album lol! . Just too good! I think I wrongly labelled it purely as `prog metal', because although there's heavier parts, there's a real....open and spacial feel to it, heaps of room for the pieces to drift on and build an incredible mood. They've definately got a lot of love for that late 60's/early 70's Pink Floyd sound.

I haven't heard that particular Vangelies album, sorry! I do wish those `interludes' were listed as seprate tracks and could therefore be programmed out, even though I like them, I'm a real sucker for totally instrumental albums! But the whole album is very classy and hugely exciting....I really should get onto that Zombi one you mentioned! Pay back the favour, eh?!

I should add, this was only from listening to it down pretty low at my desk, can't wait to play it in the car or through a proper stereo pumped up at a decent level!

Love the album and you are very right about the whole psych space rock connection with Floyd. I hear it to. Also play Il Giardino very loud. Enjoy my friend. You deserve it. :)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2013 at 23:53

^ you are my hero today. I've been enjoying my progressivo Italiano big time today. Listening to Il Fantasico Viaggio Del Bagarozzo Mark. How good is this? Omg it's amazing and the vocals really work on it.

On this album I've realized that Pignatelli is an elite bass player and writes some incredible music and it's so evident on Bagarozzo. Such an upbeat album too! I just love it. Viva Italia.

Fabio Pignatelli's presence is no doubt missed in the current incarnation of Goblin that has Daemonia guitarist Bruno Previtali on bass (odd choice, IMO). If you haven't heard the CD released by Morante-Guarini-Pignatelli-Marangolo version of the band, called BackToTheGoblin2005, there is some stellar bass playing by Mr. Pignatelli on that. Well worth tracking down.

Everything by Zombi is essential if you enjoy Goblin. Smile

Re: Vangelis' The City ...that's the last one of his I really liked, especially after the cool electronics-drenched rock of Direct. It's very atmospheric, not quite ambient, and parts of it remind me of his parts of his Blade Runner score, especially the new material that he would record years later.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 00:45
I do love Goblin - I have around 8 Lp's of theirs, but I have to say that I prefer the Cherry Five album, or even the Reale Imperio albums to their regular albums.  I have to go for Suspiria or Roller, followed by Bagarozzo Mark.  The O.S.T. works are always marred by some goofy stuff I'm not too keen on.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 01:33
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I do love Goblin - I have around 8 Lp's of theirs, but I have to say that I prefer the Cherry Five album, or even the Reale Imperio albums to their regular albums.  I have to go for Suspiria or Roller, followed by Bagarozzo Mark.  The O.S.T. works are always marred by some goofy stuff I'm not too keen on.

Zombi aka Dawn Of The Dead is my favorite score (most people pick Suspiria, followed by Profondo Rosso). The only 'goofy' tracks are two 2-minute selections, "Safari" and the the hoedown piano-styled "Torte in Faccia" ("Pie In Face"). That's only because they don't work outside the context of the film as well as the others. The main titles, "Oblio" ("Oblivion") and "La Caccia" ("The Hunt") are awesome. The final solo piano piece "Risveglio" ("Awakening") is barely a minute long but it's stunning.

If you haven't heard the one they did when the Simonetti-Morante-Pignatelli-Marangolo line-up reformed, Non Ho Sonno, do so. That one's a corker. Nothing goofy about it.

Fave studio album is definitely Roller. I also love Cherry Five. I look at C5 as the precursor band, doing their best take on the Yes/Genesis style while carving out their niche.

Edited by verslibre - April 30 2013 at 01:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Fabio Pignatelli's presence is no doubt missed in the current incarnation of Goblin that has Daemonia guitarist Bruno Previtali on bass (odd choice, IMO). If you haven't heard the CD released by Morante-Guarini-Pignatelli-Marangolo version of the band, called BackToTheGoblin2005, there is some stellar bass playing by Mr. Pignatelli on that. Well worth tracking down.

Everything by Zombi is essential if you enjoy Goblin. Smile

Re: Vangelis' The City ...that's the last one of his I really liked, especially after the cool electronics-drenched rock of Direct. It's very atmospheric, not quite ambient, and parts of it remind me of his parts of his Blade Runner score, especially the new material that he would record years later.

Thank you for the suggestions!
It's back to the Goblin I shall go! I'll check it out. Huge fan of Pignatelli right now.
Also. I think it's ok that we mention ZOMBI quite a bit on this forum cause after all Moorse and Peterra did name their band after Goblin's album ZOMBI (DAwn of the dead) album. The Italian connection is there. :) Anyway, thanks again.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:30
Nick, although not an Italian album, I think I can dangerously suggest you try an album called `Morte Macabre', an instrumental project that interpreted horror movie themes, they put out a single classic sublime album many years ago called `Symphonic Holocaust', packed to the gills with eerie Mellotron, and very much in the style of Goblin. There might even be a Goblin reinterpretation on there too?

If I remember it was comprised of members of Anekdoten, Landberk, Anglagard, Paatos, etc? I've got it on blood red vinyl too!

Modern band `Anima Morte' are going great things in a similar style too!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:55
The love continues. :)

Morte Macabre it is. Italian affiliations will suffice. :)

And Blooooooood red vinyl sounds awesome. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 10:56
Pierre and co, I gave this lovely album another spin today, I've been ignoring it far too much these days. It always puts me in a great mood, a lovely mix accessible poppy prog.

LE ORME - VERITA NASCOSTE

What a killer this track is!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:45
Never heard that Orme album, and that link is not working.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 11:48
I'll have to check that link when I'm home, Sagi, all Youtube stuff is blocked here at work, so I'm a bit in the dark!

That album is a bit of a mixed bag, no real total proggy blowouts on it, but really pleasant and classy all the same. I think some listeners will hate one or two of the poppier moments on it!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:15
Not my favorite, but a nice pop album. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:20
As much as I like (defend?) it, I think I prefer `Storia O Leggenda', which is pretty straight-forward, but full of more serious and darker music.

Pierre, did you like their most recent `La Via Della Setta'? Listening to it right now at work, I think it's got a lot of grand and memorable repeated themes, and even though the replacement vocalist can be a little stuffy, he kind of suits the stirring epic sounds of the music?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:41
Don"t know it. But I like very much Storia O Leggenda. 76, I think, but sounding like english new wave of 85.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 12:45
You should check out `La Via...', Pierre! It gets better with every listen, a lovely album!

I think we can all agree that `Storia/Verita' etc are all better than `Smogmagica'! :( That American guitarist did not make sense on that album! One or two decent tracks is all you get
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 358>