Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 13:01
I agree. I'll add that even in their rough tracks, Le Orme remains for me an intimate band.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 15:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

^ you are my hero today. I've been enjoying my progressivo Italiano big time today. Listening to Il Fantasico Viaggio Del Bagarozzo Mark. How good is this? Omg it's amazing and the vocals really work on it.
On this album I've realized that Pignatelli is an elite bass player and writes some incredible music and it's so evident on Bagarozzo. Such an upbeat album too! I just love it. Viva Italia.

Fabio Pignatelli's presence is no doubt missed in the current incarnation of Goblin that has Daemonia guitarist Bruno Previtali on bass (odd choice, IMO). If you haven't heard the CD released by Morante-Guarini-Pignatelli-Marangolo version of the band, called BackToTheGoblin2005, there is some stellar bass playing by Mr. Pignatelli on that. Well worth tracking down.

Everything by Zombi is essential if you enjoy Goblin. Smile

Re: Vangelis' The City ...that's the last one of his I really liked, especially after the cool electronics-drenched rock of Direct. It's very atmospheric, not quite ambient, and parts of it remind me of his parts of his Blade Runner score, especially the new material that he would record years later.

Thank you for the suggestions!
It's back to the Goblin I shall go! I'll check it out. Huge fan of Pignatelli right now.
Also. I think it's ok that we mention ZOMBI quite a bit on this forum cause after all Moorse and Peterra did name their band after Goblin's album ZOMBI (DAwn of the dead) album. The Italian connection is there. :) Anyway, thanks again.
Nick, you may enjoy Michael's post from the Goblin concert he was at last year pasted below.  Cool pipe organ!

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:30
Here's my review of the Procession live album. It's a winner!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 17:35
Outstanding, Todd! I was umming and ahhing about whether to get this or not! Think I will...my new current order with Greg's Syn-Phonic is currently at 19 CD's (no vinyl this time ), so what difference would one more CD make lol?!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 18:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Outstanding, Todd! I was umming and ahhing about whether to get this or not! Think I will...my new current order with Greg's Syn-Phonic is currently at 19 CD's (no vinyl this time ), so what difference would one more CD make lol?!

Ah, I see you take my view of things! I just got my Greg order yesterday, complete with this one. Also got Le Porte non Aperte--not as good as I'd hoped, but I'll give it a chance to grow on me.

My Gnosis Ratings

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 18:17
Precious review, california boy Clap 19 Cd's Michael ! How many ears do you have ?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 21:34
Todd, was that Procession one a Mini LP? I'm really starting to like those for the Italian releases!

You know, the worst thing is, I just recieved an order from Greg a few days back! I knew his next catalogue was due any day, so I quickly finished that one up to get it out of the way! Now the whole cycle begins again! :(

Oh, and I've got a copy of that La Porte one for the next order too! I was pretty impressed when we were evaluating it, I'll lower my expectations then just in case.

Pierre...the problem with me is more music cravings than available money or common sense! I'm like a drug addict!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:01
Yeah we are all drug addicts around here!! LOL

Todd, I remember reading your insightful review a few days ago and although I love procession, I wouldn't go for this live album. I just don't like it when one band performs another band's material (unless it's completely different), one song is ok but a whole album is toooooo much. It's cool to listen to it once or maybe twice but not more.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:10
That's it, Sagi, you inspired me, I'm going to petition changing the name of this thread to `Dirty Drug Addicts Den' lol!

We can hold `Proggers Anonymous' meetings:

"So, Sagi, how long has it been since your last prog album?"

"I couldn't resist, it was an Italian rarity, I needed a hit, man!!"

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:15
LOL

At first the cure would be listening to Prog Related.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2013 at 22:40
For Pierre, they'd add :

"and might I add, you have the head of a duck...."

Heh, where's Jim/AEP, he'll totally get that Far Side reference!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 00:37
Calm down Michael - remember, there's always Billy Joel when things verge on O.D. Dead
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 03:43
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Calm down Michael - remember, there's always Billy Joel when things verge on O.D. Dead

Billy Joel - urge to kill...RISING!!

I think we should start referring to him as `He Who Shall Not Be Named' lol!

No, sadly my cure for Prog rehabilitation is simple - MORE AND MORE PROG! Really, just go on a total prog bender!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 04:20
I used to be a music addict, but not anymore. Today I take the time to appreciate an album. I own 7 albums of modern RPI and I'm far to know them by heart.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 08:36
There is always this one if it comes to Billy Joel

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:00
Pierre, I do take the time to appreciate all of them, giving them enldess replays, it just takes me time to get through them! So I kind of have a backlog of music to find the time for!

We need to increase your modern RPI collection, my feathered friend! I love that not only is there many good new younger Italian bands, but the old ones are coming back and putting out really good albums! I like to think they're humbled and excited that their `forgotten' works from the 70's are finally being appreciated by a devoted fanbase! Small that fanbase may be, but fiercely loyal and supportive!

Now if only we could convince E.A.Poe to get a new album together!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:15
Why more ? when I already live with my magnificent seven ? Next week, with Emanuele Correani, they'll be eight Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:21
Supporting the brand, my friend, ensuring it's survival! I'm just as excited to discover new RPI bands, as well as enjoy comeback albums and reissues!

I just got the Correani one too, my friend, I'll be very interested to eventually know your thoughts on it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 10:33
I'll tell you.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 11:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Todd, was that Procession one a Mini LP? I'm really starting to like those for the Italian releases!

Pierre...the problem with me is more music cravings than available money or common sense! I'm like a drug addict!

No, unfortunately it's a jewel case. But the liner notes are nice, three essays about the band and the period, all in Italian.

A few years ago, John (Mellotron Storm) told me he had 50 albums he hadn't listened to yet. I thought that was absurd! Well, a couple sales later, and now I have close to 200!! Yikes. But I get through a few a day, as I get to listen to music all day long at work. There are some that drop off the playlist quickly for sure (like an early Greenwall I listened to yesterday--nasty!), but others have incredible staying power. I try to get through a few new ones a day, then spend the rest of the day revisiting old favorites. Like now, listening to Le Orme. Woohoo!

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 216217218219220 358>