Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 03:58
Excellent, my friend.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 09:56
Peculiar choice of the setlist on this album.
Giving 50% to an unkown song that is also not very represenative
of their sound and almost the rest to rather old material.

Otherwise I really like it, but I wish there would have been
a 2LP with a better mix of material (in perfect sound).
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 12:23
Thank you gentlemen, I'll approach it with an open mind!

OK, I've just discovered that I've had it on LP for years, wedged between a whole heap of other stuff out of order, so I'd never noticed it to listen to...I don't even recall when I picked that up!

I have heard bits of it on Youtube and remember it having quite a rough sound, kind of a shock.

Anyway, I'll give the CD a spin very soon and report back!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 13:45
OK, first impressions of Le Orme's `In Concerto'!

It's like a bloody noisy bootleg! That drumming is chaotic and LOUD, really punishing and drives you to wonderful madness!! The `Truck Of Fire' half sounds like a more chaotic Egg or something! I agree with H, it's very different to what you would normally expect from Le Orme. I was surprised to find the brief vocals in the second part of it were in English too.

I do like the dirty heavier sound of the band on this, especially Aldo's vocals that have a harsher quality.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 21:18
Pierre! I think I've found a lovely album for you!

http://www.discogs.com/Baracca-Burattini-Bib-Rambla/release/4693529

Just got it from Greg Walker this morning (I'll post details of my other Italian goodies later on), and it's sublime! Frequently like an Italian/Canterbury album, lots of tasteful gorgeous jazz/light fusion, similar in ways to Arti e Mestieri, but with sax/clarinet over violin.

I'll have to see if I can find some Youtube clips!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 23:22
What's up denonites.

I'm happy to say I've now officially beefed up my Goblin collection with
Nonhosonno and Cherry 5 to make my collection up to 10 Goblin albums now. I'm thinkIng about maybe getting Patrick.
Does anyone care for that album? Not rated very high on PA, but I'd rather get the Den's take on this if ya know what I mean. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 02:19
Nick, I've got `Patrick' but not listened to it in a little while, so I'll dig it out and give it a fresh spin. Not long until your Goblin concert either, right?   

This might also interest you, Nick!

Guys, I just received an order from Greg Walker, and one of the DVD's I got was the following, which will be of special interest to RPI/Italian prog fans:

The Best Of 2Days Prog+1 (2011)

(sorry for the poor quality of the DVD cover image).

Check out the track listing spread out over the two DVD's:

DVD 1:

(Il Tempio Delle Clessidre)
1.Della Natura
2.Danza Esoterica di Datura

(Arti E Mestieri with Mel Collins & David Cross)
3.Gravitā 9.81
4.Exiles

(Goblin, aka New Goblin)
5.Roller
6. Goblin
7.Profondo Rosso

DVD 2:

(Alex Carpani Band)
1.Reclaimed
2.The Siren And The Mariner

(Maxophone)
3.Isola
4.Elzeviro

(Agents Of Mercy)
5.Journey
6.The Fading Ghosts Of Twilight

(RPWL)
7.Sleep
8.Stranger
9.Roses

The Goblin stuff is superb, and a perfect representation of what to expect of their current concerts. The Maxophone stuff was really heavy and rough, kind of surprised me and didn't impress me too much. I had never before heard the Alex Carpani Band, and despite one or two brief sections with fairly weedy vocals, they were a terrific symphonic prog band that played very tasteful music. Arti e Mestieri were a little rough too with the guest Crimson musicians, but still wonderful.

BUT....I cannot speak highly enough of the Il Tempio Delle Clessidre performance!! Their female keyboard player Elisa Montaldo is a virtuoso, and the band have so much passion and excitement. The first track seems to be a medley of both their own original music and parts of the 70's Museo Rosenbach albums (with Stefano in superb vocal form) from what I can tell?

The real highlight comes from the extended seven minute performance of their instrumental piece `Danza Esoterica De Datura'. There's now an ambient Mellotron section a few minutes in, and from what I can tell, Elisa performs some kind of....`ritual' on stage, recites a poem and then returns to the keyboards. All the band perform in masks for this piece, and it is highly unnerving and hugely exciting. The DVD is all good, but especially worth it for this moment alone.

There's also a second DVD volume from 2012 with some more Italian bands, but this one especially is worth grabbing for us folk!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 11:16
Then you should pic up Il Tempio Delle Clessidres new album.
Out in the next 2 weeks or so alongside the new Three Monks album!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 12:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Nick, I've got `Patrick' but not listened to it in a little while, so I'll dig it out and give it a fresh spin. Not long until your Goblin concert either, right?   

This might also interest you, Nick!

Guys, I just received an order from Greg Walker, and one of the DVD's I got was the following, which will be of special interest to RPI/Italian prog fans:

The Best Of 2Days Prog+1 (2011)

(sorry for the poor quality of the DVD cover image).

Check out the track listing spread out over the two DVD's:

DVD 1:

(Il Tempio Delle Clessidre)
1.Della Natura
2.Danza Esoterica di Datura

(Arti E Mestieri with Mel Collins & David Cross)
3.Gravitā 9.81
4.Exiles

(Goblin, aka New Goblin)
5.Roller
6. Goblin
7.Profondo Rosso

DVD 2:

(Alex Carpani Band)
1.Reclaimed
2.The Siren And The Mariner

(Maxophone)
3.Isola
4.Elzeviro

(Agents Of Mercy)
5.Journey
6.The Fading Ghosts Of Twilight

(RPWL)
7.Sleep
8.Stranger
9.Roses

The Goblin stuff is superb, and a perfect representation of what to expect of their current concerts. The Maxophone stuff was really heavy and rough, kind of surprised me and didn't impress me too much. I had never before heard the Alex Carpani Band, and despite one or two brief sections with fairly weedy vocals, they were a terrific symphonic prog band that played very tasteful music. Arti e Mestieri were a little rough too with the guest Crimson musicians, but still wonderful.

BUT....I cannot speak highly enough of the Il Tempio Delle Clessidre performance!! Their female keyboard player Elisa Montaldo is a virtuoso, and the band have so much passion and excitement. The first track seems to be a medley of both their own original music and parts of the 70's Museo Rosenbach albums (with Stefano in superb vocal form) from what I can tell?

The real highlight comes from the extended seven minute performance of their instrumental piece `Danza Esoterica De Datura'. There's now an ambient Mellotron section a few minutes in, and from what I can tell, Elisa performs some kind of....`ritual' on stage, recites a poem and then returns to the keyboards. All the band perform in masks for this piece, and it is highly unnerving and hugely exciting. The DVD is all good, but especially worth it for this moment alone.

There's also a second DVD volume from 2012 with some more Italian bands, but this one especially is worth grabbing for us folk!

Well may I say buddy, that this is a beautiful post and the DVD does interest me. It sounds great and I don't know very many female keyboards/composers so that is a treat in itself. Anyway, give mr. Patrick a fresh spin cause your opinion, as you know, I Truely value so it would be great to hear your take.
Also, October 11th is my day with Magic Thriller!!! Lol. Did they play that one in Melbourne for your show?
God. I would be able to die if I got to hear that one live. ;)

Thanks again man. And beautiful post. ;)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 10:44
Here's a track list of one of the "Italian Progressive Rock" dvd that Walker sells....obviously the quality of some of the sound/video is "of the period" but some is fairly good as I recall.  Overall a nice item to have if you want to have some RPI  on the DVD format, as opposed to watching YouTube clips.   Not sure if the item is still in stock or not, you'd have to ask him.

Edited by Finnforest - August 24 2013 at 10:45

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:24
Looks great, Captain Fantastic
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 17:41

Grazie!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 18:10
Damn, Jim, that's a lotta P.F.M!

I've made several compilations of Italian prog Youtube videos myself, but it's more a case of slim pickings. Plenty of more recent concert footage, which is still good, but you really want to see them in their vintage prime.

I've got the following from Greg Walker recently, if anyone has heard any of these, please offer some opinions!

ALTARE THOTEMICO - SOGNO ERRANDO
BARACCA & BURATTINI - BIB-RAMBLA
CELESTE - THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS 1969-1977 (4 CD)
KUNDALINI SHAKH DEVI - SAME
MUSEO ROSENBACH - BARBARICA

ARTI & MESTIERI - THE LIVE (DVD + CD)
HÖSTSONATEN - ALIVE IN THEATRE (DVD + CD)

Can't wait to start giving them all a proper spin!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 19:25
Hey gang, have not been logged on in a while, been on maddening work travels that some were remote (and secure) without much connectivity, quite liberating actually to be free of electronic communications for awhile.

Glad to see Jim with some out of retirement posts!

Looks like some interesting DVDs listed above worth checking out.

Michael, of your new arrivals, I have part 2 of the Celeste Complete recordings, it is actually Principe Di Un Giornio if I understand the track listing correctly, so part 2 is definitely good!

Since I was here last I inquired about what next Goblin album I should get and I wound up getting "Back to Goblin" today after I saw Michael's and Nick's reviews on it.  Love the song Bass Theme in E and Hitches.  Little bit different sound than their 70s stuff, but still pretty good!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 14:22

Very different from the first, the vocalist took over the command,
they droped the blues - hard rock elements almost totaly.

Now much more serious and complex Jazz-Prog with a strong nod to
bands like Deus ex Machina and Area. A really strong Album!

Solid comeback album (almost all those comeback by Italian 70s bands are). Doesn't reach the first album though, but still a very good one.

Just heard the CD (had no time to watch the DVD jet. Note that the
CD is from a different concert than the CD.

CD has really great sound and a top performance by the band. Love this one and hear it quite often.

Same as above with the DVD. CD sounds good, but I don't really know if
you need it when you have the Studio one.

The original Celeste album is a Top 20 RPI album, so you can't
go wrong (don't know the other material)

Checked a few tracks. Nice and gentle organ led jazz. Not really my stuff, so I didn't buy it.

Checked it and deceided against it. Sounds like a demo recording of
rather under developed stuff.

Edited by TheH - August 25 2013 at 14:23
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 14:47
KUNDALINI SHAKH DEVI - SAME. Yes TheH, it's a demo, but after a few listens it becomes more than that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 18:03
Rarity from '73.

Edited by Finnforest - August 25 2013 at 21:54

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 20:16
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Damn, Jim, that's a lotta P.F.M!

I've made several compilations of Italian prog Youtube videos myself, but it's more a case of slim pickings. Plenty of more recent concert footage, which is still good, but you really want to see them in their vintage prime.

I've got the following from Greg Walker recently, if anyone has heard any of these, please offer some opinions!

Can't wait to start giving them all a proper spin!

Oh love to know how you feel about the Rosenbach. I've had my eye on that one for a while. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 20:19
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Hey gang, have not been logged on in a while, been on maddening work travels that some were remote (and secure) without much connectivity, quite liberating actually to be free of electronic communications for awhile.

Glad to see Jim with some out of retirement posts!

Looks like some interesting DVDs listed above worth checking out.

Michael, of your new arrivals, I have part 2 of the Celeste Complete recordings, it is actually Principe Di Un Giornio if I understand the track listing correctly, so part 2 is definitely good!

Since I was here last I inquired about what next Goblin album I should get and I wound up getting "Back to Goblin" today after I saw Michael's and Nick's reviews on it.  Love the song Bass Theme in E and Hitches.  Little bit different sound than their 70s stuff, but still pretty good!

Pretty good indeed! Glad to hear you got something nice out of the album. For me, it was an absolute pleasure as you already know.

Anyway, what's the next Goblin album you'd think you want ?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2013 at 20:43
OK, everyone, lets go down the list (thanks for your thorough input H!):

The sound quality didn't bother me (I think a lifetime of listening to awful murky Pink Floyd bootlegs has built up a resistance in me, and besides, Italian archive compilations like Horus and one or two of those Il Cerchio D'Oro ones sound much worse!), but, especially on that 19 minute opening track, there are TOO MANY VOCALS!! Not enough instrumental stretches for my liking....but I'll keep giving it a spin! I think they should definately be considered being added by the RPI group.

I'll keep an open mind here...I bought the new one unheard based on Jim's positive review of the previous one, so I'll find out soon how it is.

I do like this, it's on the same quality of the other recent comeback albums. But I don't think it's a patch on Il Tempio Delle Clessidre, so I think Stefano might have jumped ship a little abruptly.

The CD is absolutely blistering, noisy and energetic!! I was shocked, because the other modern live recording of them I have is on that `Live 1974/2000' one or whatever it's called, and they're more sedate, lovely and calm there. I'll get to the DVD soon, I'm enjoying the CD enough as it is! Cool that it's two seperate performances.

I've only watched a bit of the DVD, and it's really nice. Just grand, classical and pompous Italian prog, superb! I don't have the studio album, so that's probably why I grabbed this DVD/CD version.

I've never owned ANY of the Celeste stuff, so decided this was the best way to go about it. I'm loving so far the early Il Sistema stuff, as I'm a total sucker for that early organ/hammond heavy rock stuff.

I thought this was sublime!! Gorgeous mellow organ driven jazz, frequently reminded me of the Canterbury bands. Very impressed, and it's going to become my new `late night drive home from work at 11pm' CD!

Phew, exhausted!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 358>