Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 16:48
Right on Michael! Contrappunti is my fave Le Orme. 
I do have a thing for the opening cut of Felona, but as an album I think Contrappunti beats it hands down.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 20 2013 at 16:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 20:06
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

BTF reissue of that very very weird album of ethnic prog.

This sounds really good, Pierre! I've already written it down on a list on the desk here to remember it, just wonderful acid-fried indo/ethnic folk jams. Superb stuff!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2013 at 23:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I do have a thing for the opening cut of Felona, but as an album I think Contrappunti beats it hands down.

Indeed - that opening cut of Felona is UNBELIEVABLE - still, Uomo di Pezza whips both Felona and Contruppunti.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 01:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Indeed - that opening cut of Felona is UNBELIEVABLE - still, Uomo di Pezza whips both Felona and Contruppunti.

Yes but Collage whipes all three of them Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 02:36
^ - not for me though.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 02:56

That Collage's instrumental is so gooood : Italian Kraut ! 

boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysmithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:31
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by boysmithers boysmithers wrote:

Buongiorno!
I'm massively enjoying Le Porte Non Aperte and their album "Golem" right now.
Some heavy riffs, great synths and lots of flute. The thing that stands out most, for me is the bellowing singer - I don't mean that in a bad way, I love his voice

Smithers, it's a good album, and the singer is very charismatic! The only problem I have with it is too many lyrics crammed in, and some of the pieces are a little too straight-forward. I'd love next time if the band went totally `prog on', really pushed themselves, with more complex arrangements and longer instrumental sections. Damn good album, still, and I'm the proud owner of it! The band should be very proud of it! Reminds me in many parts of Biglieitto Per L'Inferno!...

Yes, I see what you mean about the lyrics, I think they may have been written by someone other than the singer! I'd also agree about the Biglietto comparison...
boysmithers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysmithers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:39
Has anyone got this: http://www.btf.it/book/volo-magico-storia-illustrata-del-rock-progressivo-italiano.html
Volo magico - Storia illustrata del rock progressivo italiano
???

We went on holiday to Ravenna this summer and I saw it in a branch of Feltrinelli. There was no way I could justify the 75 Euro price tag to the wife though... It looks really good, extremely thorough, covering bands that released one single etc.

Progressive italiano: Alessandro Gaboli, Giovanni Ottone
A more modest purchase. at 6,90 Euro! I discovered some new interesting stuff, notably Paolo Rustichelli & Carlo Bordini, Dalton and Alberto Radius.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 11:42
Looks interesting  Thumbs Up
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2013 at 22:17
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Yes but Collage whipes all three of them Wink
I have both Collage and Pezza, love them both, but for me Pezza edges it out by a hair.  Each has a different feel to it.
I have only heard Felona twice and I can see I have to get it and Contrappunti for my collection so that I can be more well versed in this spirited debate Smile.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 00:48
Jim/AEP, you've got some wonderful Le Orme albums there! Do keep giving `Felona' somes spins. I have come across occasional reviews that seem to think the first track on it is astounding, then the rest is quite straight-forward and dull in comparison. I don't agree, but that opener IS a total killer, no doubt!!

Group, I'd also like to point out that Jim put up a great review today for an album I still haven't given a lot of time to yet, despite having had it for some time! Now might be the time to dig it out again!

Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1041123

Well done, Jim!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 07:15
^ Really Mike? It's one of those albums I loved from the first spin, it's really good and was recorded very well too, you should definitely give it another chance, it's worth it!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 07:26
Oh, my good friend Sagi, not because I didn't like it! Just simply...I go through times when I have a back log of things to listen to, and it's not unusual that some titles get pushed to one side to come back to later! That is one of them!

Much like that `Dun - Eros' album I know you like!! I know how good it is, was really getting into it, and then I just accidently moved on from it!

Needless to say, I just put it back in the car tonight!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 07:31
Oh the burdens of having too much stuff to listen toLOL

I know the feeling...

Anybody ever listened to the Batiatto/Camisasca joint effort La Convenzione?
Franco Battiato La Convenzione (with Juri Camiscsca and Osage Tribe) album cover

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 22 2013 at 07:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 07:40
It's a curse...a burden that I'll have to carry on my shoulders with heavy heart, Dave lol!

I haven't heard that one personally, but where's our feathered friend Pierre? I bet he might know something more about it? :)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 10:35
I took a chance with that Battiato collaboration album and was actaully very surprised of how good it is. Although they are all short songs they are very interesting, not so essential but definitely a good addition to your italian collection.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 10:59
Ok, found some videos. Personally the ones I like best are the solo battiato tracks which also appeared on his La Convenzione 1972 single, I think it's the first time they were remastered.

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 11:10
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Oh, my good friend Sagi, not because I didn't like it! Just simply...I go through times when I have a back log of things to listen to, and it's not unusual that some titles get pushed to one side to come back to later! That is one of them!

Much like that `Dun - Eros' album I know you like!! I know how good it is, was really getting into it, and then I just accidently moved on from it!

Needless to say, I just put it back in the car tonight!
Michael, first off thanks for the kind words on the review - something I was thinking about for a week or so.  My biggest decision was which album did I want to pay tribute to my first year in RPI, finally after many mind debates I went with my heart for that album.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Regarding Felona, it is one on my list that I just never got around to buying yet, just heard on the Tube a few times so I think it is high time I get it today. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 11:17
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Ok, found some videos. Personally the ones I like best are the solo battiato tracks which also appeared on his La Convenzione 1972 single, I think it's the first time they were remastered.

Thumbs UpApprove Good stuff!  At first listen, I tend to like the second one, La Convenzione a little better, quite pyschy.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2013 at 19:01
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Regarding Felona, it is one on my list that I just never got around to buying yet, just heard on the Tube a few times so I think it is high time I get it today. 

Well, Jim, you must have encouraged me, because I just ordered `Collage', `Florian' and `Storia O Leggendo' off Ebay! Filling in a couple of holes in my collection!

Originally posted by coasterzombie coasterzombie wrote:

I would not recommend the 11CD Le Orme box. The sound is highly compressed and lacks the dynamic quality of the originals.
The single Philips CDs should still be plentiful and available at a reasonable price. No self-respecting RPI fanatic should be without at least Collage, Uomo di Pezza, Felona e Sorona, and Contrappunti. Essential!!!

Thanks, Coaster! Those three I bought above were definately the Phillips copies.

Although I've played them all plenty of times on Youtube, I'd never got around to getting the CD's until now, nor were they titles I've ever come across on vinyl down here.

`Collage' is strong, if a little embryonic, still signs of that psychedelic beginning they had! I actually love `Leggendo', it's one of the RPI albums I play a lot at work in the background because it's very easy to unwind to and endlessly melodic. `Florian' I know is the `controversial' one without the keyboards, but I recall Jim (Finnforest) gave it a nice review a while back, and it reminded me not to let it escape my collection!

It's an album like `Smogmagica' I can do without!

`Verita Nascoste' I really like, although it's firmly in the rock/pop direction. Just a collection of cool tunes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 358>