Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:27
Pierre, I have to say....I was almost tearing up in the car hearing it!!    

I'm with you, Sagi, I prefer `Jet-Lag', and I have to say you've encouraged me to dig that one out.

Also, Tom, who has mentioned `Chocolate Kings' to me a lot over the years, I owe it to him to give it a fresh spin.

Thanks guys
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:34
^^ Well, it's actually Pagani and his violin which has impressed me the most recently. I always thought the rhythm section sounded like rocket scientists on speed - they are incredible musicians, but I never paid much attention to Pagani. I recall getting an immaculate U.K. gatefold of the LP for 5 bucks in the mid-90's and thinking to myself "well I don't think I'd pay much more for it".......

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 04 2013 at 17:15
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:44
Yes Pagani is excellent, I remember liking his first solo album, very different from PFM. Hmmmm... I haven't heard in years actually.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:49
Since you're on the subject, I always preferred this cover to the one featured here on PA:
I don't own this myself, but that may be down to my reluctance towards English vocals in my RPI. Blasphemy!Tongue
I've seen the man with the hat post it frequently in the Febus listening thread though... and if Phil likes it there's a good chance that I might. We seem to share a lot of similar tastes in music. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2013 at 15:54
I recently acquired a Rick Wakeman/Mario Fasciano LP called 'Stella Bianca....." and feel that it should be one to track down for lovers of RPI. Fasciano has a great voice, he sings in Neapolitan, and Wakeman is mind-blowing on the keys. Adam W also helps out. A very impressive, over-looked gem
......oh yeah, Rodolfo Maltese guests on guitar, and Franscesco di Giaccommo writes some of the lyrics.

Edited by Tom Ozric - October 01 2013 at 15:56
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 00:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Since you're on the subject, I always preferred this cover to the one featured here on PA:
I don't own this myself, but that may be down to my reluctance towards English vocals in my RPI. Blasphemy!Tongue
I've seen the man with the hat post it frequently in the Febus listening thread though... and if Phil likes it there's a good chance that I might. We seem to share a lot of similar tastes in music. 
Indeed - I much prefer this chocolate bar inside a U.S. flag wrapper, which gets devoured chunk by chunk in the gatefold, with only the screwed up wrapper on the back. Much more 'tasteful' than the original cover.......
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 13:09
Still have the original Italian LP of CK which came with
a poster of "Fat Old Mama" in full size.

Most likley the ugliest poster I ever saw.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2013 at 16:32
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 12:42
I love Escher's work...

Curious what the Den's thoughts are on Dalton?  I did not know of them, but kept seeing them as suggestions on sites I buy music from.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:43
Out of their two albums I would go for Riflessioni Idea D'infinito it's much more progressive than Argitari.
It's far from being an essential RPI album but still very enjoyable, I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMEAYnbwIM
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:49
Not essential but soooo gooood ....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 03:52
Solamente Nero
Music by Stelvio Cipriani, performed by Goblin

Due to contractual reasons, director Antonio Bido could not get his first choice, the group Goblin, to score this 1978 thriller. However, although the score was eventually composed by Stelvio Cipriani, it is Goblin who actually perform the music. I can't say as I've ever previously heard a Goblin score throughout, but imagine this is pretty much what they sound like, a mixture of rock and electronica, with moments of grating experamentalism - not to my taste at all, but mercifully many of the more experimental tracks are quite brief. Cipriani is however a melodic composer and sets out his themes, as one would expect, bringing the occasional respite with "La Dolce Sandra,"a nice melody, heard in a number of differing arrangements; and the source cues, the piano solo "Il Giovane Professore" and the brief accordion of "L'Ospite di Campagna." And do stay until the end, as "La Fattucchiera" offers some dramatic and increasingly unhinged string writing, with "Gli Inganni" bringing things to a pacy and quite exciting close, with strings again to the fore.
As always, the colourful booklet accompanying the disc features stills and artwork from the film, together with a brief introduction by Pierluigi Valentini & Claudio Fuiano, with the director also giving an account of how the unusual musical collaboration on his film was forged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uG_c8WC7uU
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:01
Thank you Pierre! Will give a listen when I'm home in a few hours!

I've already contacted Syn-Phonic about a copy of that new BTF `Aktuala' release you posted a few pages bage, Pierre! That's another wonderful work to thank you for!

That Bauhaus album....I'm certain I've heard it somewhere over the years, because I completely recognised the cover straight away. Might be another to look into!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:11
Yo Kangaroo!

One of the two things keeping my spirit in check these days is this album:
(as well as Rubycon and RicochetHeart) - Have you ever checked out this album? I've been on a break from it for a couple of years, but that's only made this re-visit all the more fantastic. Feels like a new album again!
If you at some point have 18 minutes to yourself, then do yourself a favour and submerse yourself in this beautiful opening cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD6OGYrG4B0
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:18
Sorry, Dave, I'm at work, so not only can I not see the album you've listed, when I go to the Youtube link it's blocked on my end!

Do I get to `fill in the blanks' for now with an album of my choice?!

Actually, I have been slowly coming around to Schulze's `Timewind', and that's been a long time coming!

My good friend, I'll add this to my `Pierre's playlist' and check it out also when I'm back home soon.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:33
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sorry, Dave, I'm at work, so not only can I not see the album you've listed, when I go to the Youtube link it's blocked on my end!

Actually, I have been slowly coming around to Schulze's `Timewind', and that's been a long time coming!

My good friend, I'll add this to my `Pierre's playlist' and check it out also when I'm back home soon.

Hey no problemLOL The offer will still stand when you get off work! 

I was actually thinking about this a little while back: "How is it that Michael is so into both Blackdance and Bodylove ll - yet he doesn't dig Timewind and Moondawn?" (call me crazy but I seem to remember you stating something similar about Moondawn?)
And then I obviously told myself that you're an Aussie and you live with your head upside down in a place where Christmas means Santa hats down on the beach in 40 degrees weatherConfusedLOLLOL

As for the Capitolo 6 album, then I remember you and I talking about the rough edges in music, and this one's got the magic in spades! Jethro Tull meets Colosseum and Pink Floyd during 'More'.

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:37
Pierre gave us a little break recently to catch our breath and reorganize. Tongue Thanks man!
Edit: and a LOL LOL to Guld.

Edited by Sagichim - October 12 2013 at 05:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 05:44
Not on my computer, this month. Sorry for the random links.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 06:01
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hey no problemLOL The offer will still stand when you get off work! 
I was actually thinking about this a little while back: "How is it that Michael is so into both Blackdance and Bodylove ll - yet he doesn't dig Timewind and Moondawn?" (call me crazy but I seem to remember you stating something similar about Moondawn?)
And then I obviously told myself that you're an Aussie and you live with your head upside down in a place where Christmas means Santa hats down on the beach in 40 degrees weatherConfusedLOLLOL
As for the Capitolo 6 album, then I remember you and I talking about the rough edges in music, and this one's got the magic in spades! Jethro Tull meets Colosseum and Pink Floyd during 'More'.

I do like `Timewind' - although I find the howling winds really obtrusive, I think I've worked out that was what has stopped me enjoying it more! I've tried convincing myself that it perfectly suits the lonely desert scene on the cover. I'll stick with it! But `Moondawn' I love!

I've been preparing for my Christmas this year - it will include taking on an army of boxing kangaroos, I'll be implementing by "Patented Down Under Roo Boot Super Kick", which no amount of training will prepare them for! "Stuff that in your stocking!"

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 12 2013 at 06:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 06:11
Kangaroos are steaks in Scandinavia. I had some last New Year's Eve. Yummy.

Oh and just a quick sidetracking here, sorry folks, does anybody know the wonderful selftitled debut by Argentinean Arco Iris? RPI from another mother.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 253254255256257 358>