Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 14:12
Just had my first listen to Dell'Universo Assente, and I really liked what I heard. Thanks again for the heads up, Jim.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 23:05
Ummm that THREE MONKS album 'Neo-Gothic progressive Toccatas' is really...really good.

This is going on my list for one of 2013's best. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2013 at 23:39
Yep, knockout album, Nick! Really good to play LOUD!!

If you haven't already heard them, you might also like the Japanese all-girl trio (well, most of their early albums they play as a trio) Ars Nova, they play the same kind of bombastic classical gothic organ overload style like Three Monks!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 03:41
The new Three Monks album Legend of the Holy Circle was released through Black Widow Records
this week!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 16:02
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 17:19
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

New Stormy Six ? 

Yep, anounced it a page before.

New concept piece performed live and it was filmed.

Edited by TheH - October 25 2013 at 17:19
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2013 at 19:13
well Big smileto be on the italian prog appreciation den. to tell you the truth i`ve not heared any italian prog. but i`d like to make a start. but i Crydon`t no which bands to start at. could someone Claphelp me out with this please. i`m into loads of progressive bands. from britian,usa, norway ect. Crynot italy. so which band/album frist.
many thanks.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 11:14
Gran Turismo Veloce fans! 

The band has launched a new project and is asking for your help....details here.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gran-turismo-veloce-new-album

Cheers!

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 14:04
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

well Big smileto be on the italian prog appreciation den. to tell you the truth i`ve not heared any italian prog. but i`d like to make a start. but i Crydon`t no which bands to start at. could someone Claphelp me out with this please. i`m into loads of progressive bands. from britian,usa, norway ect. Crynot italy. so which band/album frist.
many thanks.

Recommending an Italian album to someone who never heard one is as hard as recommending a prog album to someone who never heard a prog album. I don't have to recommend 10 or 20 albums because that would be a little pointless so I'll just narrow it down to 2 albums.

PFM - Per Un Amico
Maxophone - S/T

Although I could easily recommend hundred different albums, I think those two would make an excellent bridge between english prog and Italian prog, and can slide you in easily to this exciting genre. After you'll get used to the language and sound, you can jump in the water (ocean) and start exploring more hard core releases.

Good luck! Beer

Edited by Sagichim - October 26 2013 at 14:06
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2013 at 15:49
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Gran Turismo Veloce fans!  The band has launched a new project and is asking for your help....details here.http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gran-turismo-veloce-new-albumCheers!

Already donated my money on the very first day. They also lost their bass player lately, and are now actually a duo (rather than a band).
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 22:21
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

many thanks.

Recommending an Italian album to someone who never heard one is as hard as recommending a prog album to someone who never heard a prog album. I don't have to recommend 10 or 20 albums because that would be a little pointless so I'll just narrow it down to 2 albums.

PFM - Per Un Amico
Maxophone - S/T

Although I could easily recommend hundred different albums, I think those two would make an excellent bridge between english prog and Italian prog, and can slide you in easily to this exciting genre. After you'll get used to the language and sound, you can jump in the water (ocean) and start exploring more hard core releases.

Good luck! Beer

The PFM album Sagi recommended was my first and it led to the hundred others he referenced!  Those two are a great place to start as well as some of the top rated albums by Le Orme.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2013 at 22:26
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Gran Turismo Veloce fans!  The band has launched a new project and is asking for your help....details here.http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gran-turismo-veloce-new-albumCheers!

Already donated my money on the very first day. They also lost their bass player lately, and are now actually a duo (rather than a band).

I need to get their first, I guess only album....I have listened to it once but do not have it yet.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 13:42
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I need to get their first, I guess only album....I have listened to it once but do not have it yet.

Yes they only have one Album, and you should get it.
It's a really great Album, if you don't mind some harder guitars.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 14:07
H is right, Jim. "if you don't mind some harder guitars", the songs are all excellent. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2013 at 22:00
I'll definately put in to pre-buy the CD before the due date! Their first is one of my favourite modern RPI titles!

Urh, having a lot of trouble with the latest Submarine Silence album `There's Something Very Strange...'. I'm not surprised they sing in English, but something about the particular vocals on this one really rub me the wrong way. Musically it's quite good, but....

Can anyone else offer some thoughts on it if they've heard it?
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 03:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'll definately put in to pre-buy the CD before the due date! Their first is one of my favourite modern RPI titles!

Urh, having a lot of trouble with the latest Submarine Silence album `There's Something Very Strange...'. I'm not surprised they sing in English, but something about the particular vocals on this one really rub me the wrong way. Musically it's quite good, but....

Can anyone else offer some thoughts on it if they've heard it?

Heard it on a streaming site. I had very much the same impression, music is ok but the vocals
are rather anoying.

Crossed that one out of my shoping list.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 03:50
Sadly, H, I just bought the thing sound unheard....wasn't mega expensive, but still having a bit of `buyers remorse'

I thought they were an instrumental band? I think I got them mixed up with Willowglass, I don't know how, because I don't think they're even Italian!

Will give a few more listens (somehow), then it might be a case of `free to a good home'.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 06:47

Sadly, H, I just bought the thing sound unheard....wasn't mega expensive, but still having a bit of `buyers remorse'

I thought they were an instrumental band? I think I got them mixed up with Willowglass, I don't know how, because I don't think they're even Italian!

Will give a few more listens (somehow), then it might be a case of `free to a good home'.

I think the first one was instrumental only.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 07:01
Thanks, H, haven't heard it in years!

Sadly I have some more bad news to report...On the way home I spun the new Periferia Del Mondo album `Nel Regno dei Ciechi'....

About 5 tracks in so far, and it's mostly dismal. Lots of lame and tired heavy guitar riffs, awful confusing mix of English and Italian vocals. The opener sounds like it wants to be U2. The second track called `I Need U' is absolutely pathetic.

Biggest shame is that most of the tracks all of a sudden have these little tasteful diversions, with nice sax/flute, a cool synth passage here and there, but then back to almost commercial heavy rock.

I'll give the rest of the CD a spin on the way back into work tomorrow morning, so maybe the better stuff comes later in the disc.

I'm sorry, but in a year that has had some unbelievably good RPI albums, and a whole bunch of really good ones, fluff like this is simply not good enough.

I bought their vinyl LP of `In Ogni Luogo In Ogni Tempo' years ago and remember it was really good Italian prog. So on the strength of that one I bought this.

So that's two strikes in a row...Perhaps I need to be a little more selective with my purchases.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 15:38

Thanks, H, haven't heard it in years!

Sadly I have some more bad news to report...On the way home I spun the new Periferia Del Mondo album `Nel Regno dei Ciechi'....

About 5 tracks in so far, and it's mostly dismal. Lots of lame and tired heavy guitar riffs, awful confusing mix of English and Italian vocals. The opener sounds like it wants to be U2. The second track called `I Need U' is absolutely pathetic.

Biggest shame is that most of the tracks all of a sudden have these little tasteful diversions, with nice sax/flute, a cool synth passage here and there, but then back to almost commercial heavy rock.

I'll give the rest of the CD a spin on the way back into work tomorrow morning, so maybe the better stuff comes later in the disc.

I'm sorry, but in a year that has had some unbelievably good RPI albums, and a whole bunch of really good ones, fluff like this is simply not good enough.

I bought their vinyl LP of `In Ogni Luogo In Ogni Tempo' years ago and remember it was really good Italian prog. So on the strength of that one I bought this.

So that's two strikes in a row...Perhaps I need to be a little more selective with my purchases.

One of those bands that I missed to check out over the years. I finaly bought this one blind. It starts of very poor, but the second half is
getting a lot better.

Heared a lot of good about this band, so I will have to get their earlier stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 358>