Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 15:51
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'll definately put in to pre-buy the CD before the due date! Their first is one of my favourite modern RPI titles!

Urh, having a lot of trouble with the latest Submarine Silence album `There's Something Very Strange...'. I'm not surprised they sing in English, but something about the particular vocals on this one really rub me the wrong way. Musically it's quite good, but....

Can anyone else offer some thoughts on it if they've heard it?

Heard it on a streaming site. I had very much the same impression, music is ok but the vocals
are rather anoying.

Crossed that one out of my shoping list.

I did the same! Loved the debut but this one just hurt , good music ruined by poor vocals ! Confused
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 15:53
Ditto on both, unfortunately! Submarine Silence first album is much better. The second one... yikes.

Periferia del Mondo was a real disappointment on this one. I bought it without hearing it on the strength of the others. It doesn't meet the quality of the first three, that's for sure! Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater, but I think these guys have seen their best days, unfortunately. 
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 17:43
Thanks to hear your thoughts, guys, and I'm sorry some of you have made the same mistakes I did!

H, thanks for the tip, I'll be listening to the rest of the Periferia tonight, so I'll keep your opinion in mind!

Thomas, it's not even that Submarine Silence sing in English on this one that bugs me, it's that the vocals have this kind of....try-hard Bowie/Goth/cabaret edge that seems really forced and put on. There's definately other Italian bands that have done the `cabaret' thing much better than this. Anyway, it's been one listen so far, I've still got it in the car, so I'll spin it some more. I hope it comes better, because the CD sleeve/booklet is quite lovely!

Todd, at least the new Periferia is encouraging me to dig out that earlier album and give it a new spin. I'm sure I remember it being very decent. However, I did notice there were two other albums between the debut and this new one, so perhaps their move away from the more traditional prog sounds was already well on the way.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 17:50
I picked up these two for a few dollars each recently, thoughts on them if you've heard them?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3493

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=3495
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 18:00
Excellent, my friend.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 18:10
Thanks Pierre, I love their `Genealogia' album, so thought I'd try on a few more!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2013 at 19:26

I picked up these two for a few dollars each recently, thoughts on them if you've heard them?

Awesome cover. Who painted it?

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 09:47

Yep, knockout album, Nick! Really good to play LOUD!!

If you haven't already heard them, you might also like the Japanese all-girl trio (well, most of their early albums they play as a trio) Ars Nova, they play the same kind of bombastic classical gothic organ overload style like Three Monks!

LOUD? What's that? I can't hear you!!!

Oh brother you couldn't more right on that. The album reminds me of listening to classic Motets. Just love it. I like Toccata Neogothica #1 the best so far but I admit I've gotta spin this album many more times to get a concrete opinion on just how I feel about it. So far...so good though, my friend.
I will also check out Ars Nova. Have not heard of them, so already I'm intrigued.
Thanks man.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 21:39

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Gran Turismo Veloce fans!  The band has launched a new project and is asking for your help....details here.http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gran-turismo-veloce-new-albumCheers!
Already donated my money on the very first day. They also lost their bass player lately, and are now actually a duo (rather than a band).

I need to get their first, I guess only album....I have listened to it once but do not have it yet.

Yes they only have one Album, and you should get it.
It's a really great Album, if you don't mind some harder guitars.

Just getting around to this.  Thanks, The H and Pierre for the recommendation.  No, I do not mind the harder guitars, grew up on Black Sabbath and the like.  Although the classic hard/heavy sound then is different than some of the "metal" sounds of today.

This bands' (Gran Turismo) mention here made me realize that most of my focus on RPI has been on the classic 70s stuff, with a couple of modern era albums thrown in, I think now I should spend some time with modern stuff since that seems to be coming out fast and furious these days.  Was curious what the gang's latest favorites are in the modern era of RPI?

PS - Just recently got Dalton's Riflessioni Idea D'infinito.  Even though as mentioned here in the den, not essential, but it is quite an enjoyable album!

Edited by AEProgman - October 30 2013 at 21:44
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2013 at 21:48
Jim, I'm about to head off to work, but I'll think up a few goodies and post in here later on for you to check out on your next pop-in!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2013 at 08:30
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Awesome cover. Who painted it?

From what I can tell, it's credited on the simple CD sleeve to Dario Campinile. Does the name ring a bell at all?

It wasn't until I looked at the cover closer that I realised how good it was, I want to know what the story with the hand is! I bet it would look beautiful on the vinyl LP copy.

Pierre/guys, I'm loving this one! I was expecting a somewhat typical fusion album, instead there's these lovely ambient passages, electronic experimentation, quiet acoustic moments, droning hypnotic vocals, shimmering psychedelic flavours....wonderful!!

Kind of made me think of a more fusion heavy Agitation Free in parts.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 18:08
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yep, knockout album, Nick! Really good to play LOUD!!

If you haven't already heard them, you might also like the Japanese all-girl trio (well, most of their early albums they play as a trio) Ars Nova, they play the same kind of bombastic classical gothic organ overload style like Three Monks!

LOUD? What's that? I can't hear you!!!

Oh brother you couldn't more right on that. The album reminds me of listening to classic Motets. Just love it. I like Toccata Neogothica #1 the best so far but I admit I've gotta spin this album many more times to get a concrete opinion on just how I feel about it. So far...so good though, my friend.
I will also check out Ars Nova. Have not heard of them, so already I'm intrigued.
Thanks man.

Nick, I just got the new Three Monks album `The Legend and the Holy Circle' (Ironically, there is only TWO members left in the band now, which is sure to make that name confusing! ), so I've put it in the car and I'll give it a listen today. Actually, probably on the way home at 11pm - the night time is the right time for that sort of music!

Now, I'm kind of cheating here, because that female Ars Nova band are Japanese, so I'll link away from this Italian thread, but if you like what you heard with Three Monks, and I think you dig stuff like ELP, then you should enjoy this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vCoyZGCRw

Actually, that clip of them sounds better than one of the actual DVD's I bought of them. If you like them, let us know and I'll recommend which albums to look into.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 19:09
^ Ars Nova was Quite good and entertaining Thumbs Up.  From a wikipedia site, PFM and Goblin are some of their infulences also.

Sounds like I may enjoy those Monks also if they are in the ELP vein.

Edited by AEProgman - November 03 2013 at 19:17
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 19:29
Stumbled on to this in the Tube by Amanita.  They are from Italy and listed on PA as Prog Folk but I hear many styles and very nice flute work.  The link is below.

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 20:33

Never too late to start, Proggman! Why don't you tell us which ones you've been enjoying, and I'm sure some of us Italian Den regulars can offer some more suggestions for you to try?

Hello again sorry for the late reply. I was busy listening to music. The only italian bands that I have heard so far are Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Le Orme. I like PFM the most of those, so some suggestions in that direction would be nice. Smile
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 20:59
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

I started to listen to Italian prog pretty recently and I like everything I've heard so far.

Another Prog(g)man, welcome to the RPI den!  I see by the spelling, you come from a different clan of Progmen, must be progcuzins....

Like Michael (ABB) mentioned let us know what you heard.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes since I am from Sweden The name proggman has a story, it comes from the ordinary misunderstanding of prog and progg. Progg is not a genre, it was a movement. Here in Sweden if I say to someone that I like prog, there's a big chance they'll think I am talking about progg instead. Therefore I almost always say that I like Progressive rock, even if most people have no idea what I am talking about anyway. You can read about it here.

Progg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by proggman - November 03 2013 at 21:01
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 23:34
Jimmy, that Amanita is a tasty poison Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2013 at 23:43
OKTOBER : UHRSPRUNG 1976. A german band with strong RPI influences. Interesting and funny Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 03:27

From what I can tell, it's credited on the simple CD sleeve to Dario Campinile. Does the name ring a bell at all?

None at all. I'll search some info on him. Thanks.

Now, I'm kind of cheating here, because that female Ars Nova band are Japanese, so I'll link away from this Italian thread, but if you like what you heard with Three Monks, and I think you dig stuff like ELP, then you should enjoy this clip:

Actually, that clip of them sounds better than one of the actual DVD's I bought of them. If you like them, let us know and I'll recommend which albums to look into.

Ars Nova is one of my favorite bands. The Kumagai-Shibata-Goto line-up (in your linked YT clip) was my favorite one since the double-keyboards line-up of Across The World. Granted, the two line-ups aren't that apart, but it was like the Transi/GoD line-up again, with Masuhiro pounding the hell out of those drums.

They're finally back to work writing/jamming/rehearsing/recording. It's the quartet formation of Chrysalis, so I suspect it won't sound like the last one, which was a bit Ayreon-esque for my taste.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 04:12
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

None at all. I'll search some info on him. Thanks.

Ars Nova is one of my favorite bands. The Kumagai-Shibata-Goto line-up (in your linked YT clip) was my favorite one since the double-keyboards line-up of Across The World. Granted, the two line-ups aren't that apart, but it was like the Transi/GoD line-up again, with Masuhiro pounding the hell out of those drums.

They're finally back to work writing/jamming/rehearsing/recording. It's the quartet formation of Chrysalis, so I suspect it won't sound like the last one, which was a bit Ayreon-esque for my taste.

Wow, that's good to hear! I'm not the biggest fan of the Ayreon stuff, so a move away from that direction would be a good thing. Hopefully the deliver the goods, I pretty sure there's still quite a lot of interest and goodwill towards them, so they should be inspired to release more work!

Cool that you found info on them, I've found the net a trail of dead-ends and sites not updated for them!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 358>