Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 17:33
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

OKTOBER : UHRSPRUNG 1976. A german band with strong RPI influences. Interesting and funny Wink

Love this one! Their next one, too. The third one, not so much.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 17:38
Originally posted by proggman proggman wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Never too late to start, Proggman! Why don't you tell us which ones you've been enjoying, and I'm sure some of us Italian Den regulars can offer some more suggestions for you to try?

Hello again sorry for the late reply. I was busy listening to music. The only italian bands that I have heard so far are Premiata Forneria Marconi, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Le Orme. I like PFM the most of those, so some suggestions in that direction would be nice. Smile

My suggestion would be to try Quella Vecchia Locanda next, especially their second album. Next possibly Celeste, La Locanda delle Fate, and Maxophone. Those are some of the best of the pastoral, symphonic albums in the PFM vein. And there are lots more where those came from!

Happy hunting!

My Gnosis Ratings

proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 18:11
Thank you I'll start right away.
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 18:20
Good call Todd!

Proggman, perhaps look into the following, partly based on Todd's suggestions, and some on some favourites of mine:

Quella Vecchia Loccanda - only two albums, the self-titled and `Il Tempo Della Gioia'

Celeste - `Principe di un Giorno'

Locanda Delle Fate - `Forse Le Lucciole Non Si Amano Pił'

Museo Rosenbach - `Zarathustra'

Goblin - `Roller'

I'll think of some more later on.
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 20:23
Thank you I liked everything.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 22:19
Should have mentioned, Proggman, and Jim/AEP, you might also like this modern one:

Progenesi - Ulisse: L'Alfiere Nero

It's an instrumental album, but you'll find quite a lot of similarities to PFM, especially during the first and last tracks. Just give this Youtube clip a try and you'll pick that influence up instantly!

A damn fine album, one of many modern Italian releases this year that have been of a great standard.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 23:09

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

From what I can tell, it's credited on the simple CD sleeve to Dario Campinile. Does the name ring a bell at all?

None at all. I'll search some info on him. Thanks.

Now, I'm kind of cheating here, because that female Ars Nova band are Japanese, so I'll link away from this Italian thread, but if you like what you heard with Three Monks, and I think you dig stuff like ELP, then you should enjoy this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vCoyZGCRw

Actually, that clip of them sounds better than one of the actual DVD's I bought of them. If you like them, let us know and I'll recommend which albums to look into.

Ars Nova is one of my favorite bands. The Kumagai-Shibata-Goto line-up (in your linked YT clip) was my favorite one since the double-keyboards line-up of Across The World. Granted, the two line-ups aren't that apart, but it was like the Transi/GoD line-up again, with Masuhiro pounding the hell out of those drums.

They're finally back to work writing/jamming/rehearsing/recording. It's the quartet formation of Chrysalis, so I suspect it won't sound like the last one, which was a bit Ayreon-esque for my taste.

Wow, that's good to hear! I'm not the biggest fan of the Ayreon stuff, so a move away from that direction would be a good thing. Hopefully the deliver the goods, I pretty sure there's still quite a lot of interest and goodwill towards them, so they should be inspired to release more work!

Cool that you found info on them, I've found the net a trail of dead-ends and sites not updated for them!

Their site was down for a while but it was finally renewed some months back. Yeah, there was a period of inactivity, what with day jobs and relocating and real life distractions.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 00:31

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yep, knockout album, Nick! Really good to play LOUD!!

If you haven't already heard them, you might also like the Japanese all-girl trio (well, most of their early albums they play as a trio) Ars Nova, they play the same kind of bombastic classical gothic organ overload style like Three Monks!

LOUD? What's that? I can't hear you!!!

Oh brother you couldn't more right on that. The album reminds me of listening to classic Motets. Just love it. I like Toccata Neogothica #1 the best so far but I admit I've gotta spin this album many more times to get a concrete opinion on just how I feel about it. So far...so good though, my friend.
I will also check out Ars Nova. Have not heard of them, so already I'm intrigued.
Thanks man.

Nick, I just got the new Three Monks album `The Legend and the Holy Circle' (Ironically, there is only TWO members left in the band now, which is sure to make that name confusing! ), so I've put it in the car and I'll give it a listen today. Actually, probably on the way home at 11pm - the night time is the right time for that sort of music!

Now, I'm kind of cheating here, because that female Ars Nova band are Japanese, so I'll link away from this Italian thread, but if you like what you heard with Three Monks, and I think you dig stuff like ELP, then you should enjoy this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5vCoyZGCRw

Actually, that clip of them sounds better than one of the actual DVD's I bought of them. If you like them, let us know and I'll recommend which albums to look into.

Well...hello kitty! My my. That is quite a team of Women, but I can't tell if the drummer is a man or a woman. Lol in any case it makes no difference. They play well and ARS NOVA (arse..he hee) are dominated with ELP influences and sadly my sound tastes never gelled with ELP, although I do really like Emerson and he for me is the most redeeming feature in the band. Love his modular moog on the new Aryeon Album too. :)
All in all, I don't love the NOVA but can appreciate the level of skill they have. Also, they dress well. Lol.

As for three monks...well now 2 monks, let me know how you like their latest.
Thank you again for the link. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 01:18
^ That's a more 'modern' line-up with the drummer from, heck, Gerard or something ?? Panky is on bass. At least she's a lady. One must go back pre-2000 for the true 3-girl line-up. Man, if you see Kyoko ripping it on her Rickenbacker......man, what a stunner on all fronts !!
Oh - currently listening to the 'Igranaggi della Valle' - absolute knock-out although the vinyl edition leaves off 2 or 3 tracks   

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 05 2013 at 01:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 01:28
Sorry Nick, thought you were an ELP fan too! You mentioned you'd liked the first Three Monks albums, so I assumed you dug ELP because it's along the same sort of lines in places?

Tom, did you get the first Three Monks album from Syn-phonic, or were you planning on in an upcoming order? I think you'd go mad for it!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 01:37
^ Looks like another album to add to the list. I vaguely recall you mentioning it before my last batch......??

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 05 2013 at 01:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 01:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Looks like another album to add to the list. I vaguely recall you mentioning it before my last batch......??

Possibly! It's from the Black Widow shop, lots of intense organ crunching, like a slightly more gothic ELP, perhaps like Goblin, Zoltan and Ars Nova, with lots of classical bombast and eerie atmospheres! All instrumental as well.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 02:39
^ well that's it - is a definite
proggman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 10:47

Should have mentioned, Proggman, and Jim/AEP, you might also like this modern one:

Progenesi - Ulisse: L'Alfiere Nero

It's an instrumental album, but you'll find quite a lot of similarities to PFM, especially during the first and last tracks. Just give this Youtube clip a try and you'll pick that influence up instantly!

A damn fine album, one of many modern Italian releases this year that have been of a great standard.

Yes this was fantastic, will probably be one of my favorites from this year. Smile
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 05:03
A question for Todd, Jim or Mike .I still have the  Dedalus VM Cd. Does the BTF Cd sound better ? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 05:56
Hi Pierre! I'm no help, I have the reissued vinyl LP copy, sorry!

Hopefully Jim, Todd or one of the others can come to your rescue!
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 12:35
Pierre, I too only have the VM jewel case. The BTF site says the newly issued papersleeve version has "remastered sound." To me, that's a red flag. But I prefer the original sound and have found that very few remastered editions have sound that I prefer over the original. But that's me. Semiramis is an exception, as I liked the BTF version over the original Trident.

Usually, the BTF versions don't change much if at all from the original Vinyl Magic editions, as BTF used to be Vinyl Magic. Overall, BTF sound is very good to my ears. 

My Gnosis Ratings

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 12:38
Thank you very much, Todd. Hug
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 12:45
One glaring example of the BTF version failing is Osanna. They used the Warner Fonit versions with lots of no-noise applied. If you can find the King versions of the second, third and fourth albums, a whole new world will open up to you! (King never released L'Uomo, and there is no CD version that sounds great, IMO.)

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2013 at 15:58
There will be a Osanna double DVD featuring one Disc of 70s material
out at the end of this month
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 258259260261262 358>