Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:25
Originally posted by Utnapishtim Utnapishtim wrote:

Benvenuto!

Marco, you've been writing some great reviews.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:39
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^ Great list! I couldn't think of any other titles that you missed. You have a great knack for finding bands and new releases! Between you and Pierre, we should all have lots of new things to listen to constantly! Thanks!

I agree with your assessments above for the most part, although I liked Camelia's Garden more than you did.
What are your favorites from the year? Top ten maybe? Open question for everyone!
Right now I can say my number one is Ingranaggi della Valle--after that, I'll have to sort some out. I know what would be on the list (Unreal City, Aldo Tagliapietra, Tugs, Distillerie di Malto, etc) but I need to sort out the order.

I definetly missed one I really like (and I'm sure there are much more):

Collettivo Ginsberg: Asa Nisi Masa (really vivid Avant etc,)

and made some mistakes: Zaum ist not Neo Prog of course (to much strg+c)

If I could only keep one it would be Ingranaggi della Valle: In hoc signo (by far).

I like many different styles of Prog, and I don't compare them like this is better than that. So my Top 10 would change depending on what mood I'm in.

Those you listed are definetly among the must haves...

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:42
^ Okay, your must haves, then! In no particular order, of course. 
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 11:57

^ Okay, your must haves, then! In no particular order, of course. 

Just because you asked for it

(there at least another 10 that I wouldn't want to miss though)

in no particular order:

Ingranaggi della Valle - In Hoc Signo (jazzy retro RPI of the highest order, best of 2013)
Tugs - Europa Minor (very good Prog Folk)
Altare Thotemico - Sogno Errando (very strong Jazz Prog like DeM, Area..)
IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE - alieNatura (somewhat harder, but brilliant second album)
SOPHYA BACCINI'S ARADIA - Big Red Dragon (very good symphonic Prog concept album)
Aldo Tagliapietra - L'angelo rinchiuso (wow, as good as classic Le Orme)
Pandora - Alibi filosofico (very good stuff, as always)
Distillerie di Malto "Suono!" (very very good second after a loooooong time, great!)
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile (strong symphonic Prog)
Le Maschere di Clara - L'alveare (one of the best RIO Avant bands with strong second album, MP3 only)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2014 at 19:54
^ Thanks Todd and The H for bringing the Ingranaggi della Valle album back to my attention, I got it back in November but had not given it a quality listen.  Gave it one today and it blew me away!   Some the best violin playing in prog of any kind I heard in a while!
I am afraid I am suffering from music overload, too many albums to quickly to give them proper listens.  I miss the days of my youth when I used to get only 1 album at a time and really get to know it front and backwards before getting the next album.
My 2013 list is short, since I am still gathering the 70s RPI classics, I had only purchased 2 from 2013, the fore mentioned and Unreal City, both great.  One from Italy but not classified as RPI, but Neo prog was Altavia's live album of 2013 which I also have, very nice.

Edited by AEProgman - January 04 2014 at 19:55
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 05:57
Thanks for the thorough list, H! I’ve listed below the nes I’ve bought, I might update it also with the ones I’ve reviewed, always happy to spread the word on these sort of releases!

Ingranaggi della Valle - In Hoc Signo – One of the years best, probably my favourite modern Italian release this year!
Tugs - Europa Mino – Very strong too, heaps of variety on this one.
La Maschera Di Cera - Le Porte Del Domani – Lovely and reliable, nice production and performances.
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile – Such a talented young band, one of the year’s best as well!
Oxhuitza - Oxhuitza A sweet little instrumental album, lots of youthful energy!
Homunculus Res - Limiti all'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto I think a lot of others like this one more than me, kind of Canterbury styled?
La Coscienza di Zeno - Sensitività – HAd this for a while, but not listened to it yet!
Museo Rosenbach - Barbarica Not bad, but there’s been much stronger comeback albums than this one. Need to listen more.
ARTI E MESTIERI - The Live – Like above, had this CD/DVD for a little while, but not listened to much yet!
Progenesi - Ulisse One of my personal favourites, in my Top 10 for 2013, Always puts me in a great mood, a lovely and sprightly instrumental work.
IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE - alieNatura - Need to listen to more, but very good, just hasn’t won me over as much as the first album yet! I’m sure it will happen!
SOPHYA BACCINI'S ARADIA - Big Red Dragon - Very epic symphonic Prog, like a female Ayreon or somethng!)
THREE MONKS - The Legend of the Holy Circle – Love this!! Booming church organ instrumental prog, beautiful stuff!
IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO - Il Volto Verde – Got this waiting in an order, haven’t hear it yet, but loved their previous two!
Il Cerchio d'Oro - Dedalo e Icaro – Lovely, melodic if undemanding symphonic Prog, very easy to enjoy.
Camelias Garden - You have a Chance Got this, but not played it yet, shame about the English vocals here!
No Sound - Afterthoughts – Didn’t bother with this, I have two of their other albums, and their music is kind of drony and downbeat.
Hostsonaten - Alive in Theatre – A very grand and tasteful symphonic theatrical live performance.
Submarine Silence - There's Something Very Strange in her Little Room – Very disappointed with this one too, URGH, those vocals!!
L'Albero Del Veleno "Le Radici Del Male" – An easy Goblin styled debut, promising young band!

In Sonar "L'Enfant et le Ménure" / Nichelodeon "Bath Salts" – exhausting and demanding avant garde vocal driven works, I’m still trying to complete my review of it!

Baracca&Burattini “Bib-Rambla” – LOVE this one, lovely organ led instrumental jazz
Kundalini Shakti Devi "Kundalini Shakti Devi" – A nice unreleased album frm the 70’s, no classic but very fine.
Periferia Del Mondo "Nel Regno Dei Ciechi" No doubt, the absolute dud of the year. Mostly awful album, and far too high a quality from Italy this year to give this one a pass.

Le Porte Non Aperte - "Golem" – A punchy first album, I think a followup will be even better!
Daemonia - Zombi/Dawn of the Dead – a rerelease on an older CD from a boxset, nice if somewhat forgettable!
Il Babau & i maledetti cretini - La Maschera Della Morte Rossa – Shame it’s so short, but very high quality music and packaging. Can’t wait for the next installment!

I also got an album by Alessandro Bertoni – Keystone – an instrumental fusion album with great keyboards and especially bass playing. Promising debut.

Thanks again for your list, H! There;s a few I didn’t know, so will look into them all!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 07:39
Do you know this one, Mike ? Found it yesterday in my friend Lp's collection.

Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 08:28

Benvenuto!

Marco, you've been writing some great reviews.

Thanks a lot ToddEmbarrassed... I repeat, I love RPI and hope to learn some more than how I know, and try to propose ideas and curiosities with the community... 

I hope 2014 will be a year full of good Prog Rock albums...especially for RPI!

Congratulation for you all, for all proposed material, site administration and the opportunity that everyone has to increase Prog Rock culture. This is also a place to find some interesting people...
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 09:12
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Do you know this one, Mike ? Found it yesterday in my friend Lp's collection.

Not a bad Album, but the weird cover promises more than the Album can
hold up to.

A transitional Project between the bands Amanita (better) and Alhambra (worse).
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 09:27
Thanks ABB,

You should add Distillerie di Malto "Suono!" to your collection.

A very strong late addition to the best Italo Prog this year.

The new Il Segno del Comando is very different to the first
album (haven't heard the second, much better vocals (if you like female
operatic ones) but also much harder gothic rock.

Edited by TheH - January 05 2014 at 09:28
Utnapishtim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Utnapishtim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Thanks ABB,

Hi,
have you already heard new album of Distillerie Di Malto?...I can't find itUnhappy
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 10:35

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Thanks ABB,

Hi,
have you already heard new album of Distillerie Di Malto?...I can't find itUnhappy

Yes, I got the CD on Friday. Ordered it direct from Musea.
Obviously I got the last one they had in stock.

There is an offer at Amazon Germany (obviously not on Amazon Italy though)

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Malto+suono!&rh=n%3A255882%2Ck%3AMalto+suono!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 09:34
A belated 'Happy New Year' to fellow PA pomodorosEmbarrassedSmile

I was thinking of this place, when I visited with friends in Copenhagen all of last week. Unlike my usual self who normally only transfers whole albums onto my ipod, I'd taken out the time to create a playing list chuck full of RPI tunes I was hoping to get folks into. It took me ages to digitalise first, but I'm glad I did it, if only to have it secured for future purposes.

Some of my friends are already into this music, but I've long suspected them for only really listening to the "big boys", so my main goal was to widen their gaze just a wee bit. These are the tracks I chose, and I believe, featured in the right order as well:

AREA - Gioa e Rivoluzione
Semiramis - Luna Park
La Corte dei Miracoli - E verrà L'Uomo
AREA - Vodka Cola
Franco Battiato - Areknames
Nuova Era - Il Passo del Soldato 
Biglietto per L'Inferno - Il Nevare
Procession - Nottorno
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Il Conquista
Biglietto per L'Inferno - L'Amico Suicida
Premiata Forneria Marconi - La Luna Nuova
Capitolo 6 - Frutti per Kagua
Il Bacio della Medusa - Nostalgia
Samadhi - L'Ultima Spiaggia
Metamorfosi - Introduzione
Procession - Un Mondo di Liberta + Solo 1
Goblin - Roller
Buon Vecchio Charlie - Evviva La Contea di Lane

I know I snuck in some PFM, but then again it didn't seem like tunes they knew of beforehand. Double win, because they loved just about everything they heard (alright one of the girls there had some trouble 'getting' Battiato, but then again, if the opposite had been true, I'm not sure I would've believed herEmbarrassed).

I'm actually listening to this as we speak enjoying every minute of it, whilst telling myself what a genuinely nice fella I am - packing sonic lunch for my friends and all that jazzTongue
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 10:17
Hey Dave.

RPI has been clinging to my ears like mad, raving romantic Italian these last few months. I think your list looks great and certainly their are a few artist there that I need to check out cause I just haven't yet, namely Area. Heard great things. Anyway, I think you can add THREE MONKS, ALPHATAURUS, INRANAGGI DELLA VALLE, IL CERCHIO D'ORO and my most recent favourite UNREAL CITY who certainly had the RPI album of the year for me with LA CRUDELTA DI APRILE. So impressive. Enjoy your day...looks like your doing so and I think your friends are in good hands with you.
Lucky to have your good tastes and fine sensibilities. It's a beautiful genre and funny enough it was actually GOBLIN that lewered me into the RPI genre itself, mainly cause of their gothic appeal. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 10:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Thanks for the thorough list, H! I’ve listed below the nes I’ve bought, I might update it also with the ones I’ve reviewed, always happy to spread the word on these sort of releases!

Ingranaggi della Valle - In Hoc Signo – One of the years best, probably my favourite modern Italian release this year!
Tugs - Europa Mino – Very strong too, heaps of variety on this one.
La Maschera Di Cera - Le Porte Del Domani – Lovely and reliable, nice production and performances.
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile – Such a talented young band, one of the year’s best as well!
Oxhuitza - Oxhuitza A sweet little instrumental album, lots of youthful energy!
Homunculus Res - Limiti all'eguaglianza della Parte con il Tutto I think a lot of others like this one more than me, kind of Canterbury styled?
La Coscienza di Zeno - Sensitività – HAd this for a while, but not listened to it yet!
Museo Rosenbach - Barbarica Not bad, but there’s been much stronger comeback albums than this one. Need to listen more.
ARTI E MESTIERI - The Live – Like above, had this CD/DVD for a little while, but not listened to much yet!
Progenesi - Ulisse One of my personal favourites, in my Top 10 for 2013, Always puts me in a great mood, a lovely and sprightly instrumental work.
IL TEMPIO DELLE CLESSIDRE - alieNatura - Need to listen to more, but very good, just hasn’t won me over as much as the first album yet! I’m sure it will happen!
SOPHYA BACCINI'S ARADIA - Big Red Dragon - Very epic symphonic Prog, like a female Ayreon or somethng!)
THREE MONKS - The Legend of the Holy Circle – Love this!! Booming church organ instrumental prog, beautiful stuff!
IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO - Il Volto Verde – Got this waiting in an order, haven’t hear it yet, but loved their previous two!
Il Cerchio d'Oro - Dedalo e Icaro – Lovely, melodic if undemanding symphonic Prog, very easy to enjoy.
Camelias Garden - You have a Chance Got this, but not played it yet, shame about the English vocals here!
No Sound - Afterthoughts – Didn’t bother with this, I have two of their other albums, and their music is kind of drony and downbeat.
Hostsonaten - Alive in Theatre – A very grand and tasteful symphonic theatrical live performance.
Submarine Silence - There's Something Very Strange in her Little Room – Very disappointed with this one too, URGH, those vocals!!
L'Albero Del Veleno "Le Radici Del Male" – An easy Goblin styled debut, promising young band!

In Sonar "L'Enfant et le Ménure" / Nichelodeon "Bath Salts" – exhausting and demanding avant garde vocal driven works, I’m still trying to complete my review of it!

Baracca&Burattini “Bib-Rambla” – LOVE this one, lovely organ led instrumental jazz
Kundalini Shakti Devi "Kundalini Shakti Devi" – A nice unreleased album frm the 70’s, no classic but very fine.
Periferia Del Mondo "Nel Regno Dei Ciechi" No doubt, the absolute dud of the year. Mostly awful album, and far too high a quality from Italy this year to give this one a pass.

Le Porte Non Aperte - "Golem" – A punchy first album, I think a followup will be even better!
Daemonia - Zombi/Dawn of the Dead – a rerelease on an older CD from a boxset, nice if somewhat forgettable!
Il Babau & i maledetti cretini - La Maschera Della Morte Rossa – Shame it’s so short, but very high quality music and packaging. Can’t wait for the next installment!

I also got an album by Alessandro Bertoni – Keystone – an instrumental fusion album with great keyboards and especially bass playing. Promising debut.

Thanks again for your list, H! There;s a few I didn’t know, so will look into them all!

Amazing, informative list. Thank you. Looks like I know where to turn for a while. This is a big help cause you know I value your opinion in RPI land of course.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hey Dave.

RPI has been clinging to my ears like mad, raving romantic Italian these last few months. I think your list looks great and certainly their are a few artist there that I need to check out cause I just haven't yet, namely Area. Heard great things. Anyway, I think you can add THREE MONKS, ALPHATAURUS, INRANAGGI DELLA VALLE, IL CERCHIO D'ORO and my most recent favourite UNREAL CITY who certainly had the RPI album of the year for me with LA CRUDELTA DI APRILE. So impressive. Enjoy your day...looks like your doing so and I think your friends are in good hands with you.
Lucky to have your good tastes and fine sensibilities. It's a beautiful genre and funny enough it was actually GOBLIN that lewered me into the RPI genre itself, mainly cause of their gothic appeal. :)

So you dig Gothic musicShocked That came out of the blueLOL 

I'm just messin with ya. Goblin were seductive to these ears for the exact same reason. 
I just got back yesterday actually, but I'll be sure to force my friends to read this comment, whenever the next time comes along where they think I'm too loud for myself and the neighborhood, and quite frankly probably should insist on playing Captain Beefheart and Area at 5 in the morning after a good long night out on the townBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 11:19
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hey Dave.

So you dig Gothic musicShocked That came out of the blueLOL 
I'm just messin with ya. Goblin were seductive to these ears for the exact same reason. 
I just got back yesterday actually, but I'll be sure to force my friends to read this comment, whenever the next time comes along where they think I'm too loud for myself and the neighborhood, and quite frankly probably should insist on playing Captain Beefheart and Area at 5 in the morning after a good long night out on the townBig smile

This is a good attitude and ya gotta find some way cure those hard, heavy vino soaked pasta hangovers.
Also Dave. I remember you said the vocalist for Unreal City (Fabio Zuffanti) didn't quite grab you yet, and I kind of feel the same way about the vocalist for Ingranaggi Della Valle and Museo Rosenbach, but I'm starting to come around. Mainly though, with the above mentioned, it's the musicianship I'm really blown away with and that is what takes over. :)
Claudio_LADV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claudio_LADV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 11:49
Thanks for mentioning my band, L'Albero Del Veleno!

The complete album is available free in streaming:

http://alberodelveleno.bandcamp.com
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 16:06
Nick, the vocalist for Unreal City is definitely not Zuffanti!
He's the older guy that had their album released on his record label. He is a member of a few different RPI bands himself - Hostsonaten and La Maschera Di Cera instantly come to mind. He has a pretty high status in the modern RPI world, both with his own work and in overseeing other bands, such as the above mentioned Unreal City and Oxhuitza.

Not a problem, Claudio! A few of the regulars in here greatly enjoyed your band's debut album!

Might as well re-plug my own interview with you again, which you were very kind to answer!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94937
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 23:08
Originally posted by Claudio_LADV Claudio_LADV wrote:

Thanks for mentioning my band, L'Albero Del Veleno!

The complete album is available free in streaming:

http://alberodelveleno.bandcamp.com
Listening...!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 358>