Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 22:49
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Michael, man I enjoyed this album 'The Green Face' and it makes me want to read the 1916 book too!
I read both yours and Andrea's review for the album. Both extremely well done and can't thank you both enough for doing such a candid job in capturing the magic of this album through the use of words, poignantly. ;)

I have many favourites on the album, but I particularly like the track USIBEPU, the ritual instrumental and the epiloque outro with haunting narrative vocals. Beauty. also, I love how Usibepu is based on a tireless Necromancer who terrifies that Eva girl? Anyway. Great stuff and the drumming by Fernando Cherchi is so fitting for that track.
I also found most of the album being grindingly funky if that makes sense. It's an odd mix combing funk with goth but Il Segno Del Comando make it work. Claudio simonetti's contributions were great as well. :)

Thanks again.   

First of all, Nick, you're not alone! As I was researching the album, I became fascinated with the book, and a copy is speeding it's way towards me as we speak. Very looking forward to it!

You are SPOT ON about the album being quite funky, just spun it at work (probably wasn't a really good idea!) again tonight, and many of the tracks have a really dirty groove to them!

You should consider checking out their previous two albums, they're also very good!

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

This album makes me want to explore JACULA more. One more thing. I also loved what you said in your review about how the Gothic RPI genre is in good hands. Sophya Bacchi's vocals kind if grabbed me and I want to get he latest 2013 release. ;)
All these RPI albums I want are so expensive on Canada Amazon, E-Bay, cd discogs etc. but I haven't tried Lasers Edge yet. :)

I've also got that Sophya one, just haven't listened to it much yet. It's had mostly great reviews, and it sounds very sophisticated. Will report back soon once I've given it more of a proper spin!

Now, this is where you should be buying all your Prog albums from, I've been doing almost all my shopping here for endless years:

http://synphonic.8m.com/

Now, the website isn't much to look at, and you don't know if something is actually in stock until you contact, but all you have to do is make a list, email the owner Greg Walker, and he'll get back to you. His shipping costs are superb, items arrive super quick, and he's a very nice guy as well.

Check it out, and prepare to have your wallet emptied!   

PS - hint hint, he might have all three Comando discs still in stock too!

Thanks my friend. I shall use Greg Walker for my international interests. :)
Oh and tomorrow is gonna be an all out RPI day for me. I've got that urge to give my ears a nice Euro boost. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 22:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

All i can say is i like just about every release i've heard from Italian artists. Some better than others of course, but Italy is one of those places that has a disproportionate quantity of excellent artists. Some of my all time faves include Area, Osanna, PFM, Banco, Museo Rosenbach, Il Balleto Di Bronzo. I could keep going but i wont' Embarrassed

Have you heard Unreal City's debut yet? (La Crudeltà Di Aprile) man. That album is all I talk about lately here in the den.
Gotta be annoying some people by now. Lol. Anyway. You gotta spin that one if you haven't already.
Also, Fabio Zuffanti has great new solo album as well. Really good.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I have some big news, guys. I recieved a nice thanks in a PM to me from none other than the lead guitarist of Libra! He is now a member of PA, and his username is "musicanico", and just joined this morning.Thumbs Up                      (I guess he must have read my 5 star reviews of two Libra albums)

Wow, way to go Doug! I'll be honest, even though I have a big collection of Italian stuff, I haven't heard any Libra! Could you perhaps recommend where to start with please?

Slightly off Italian topic, but I was just thinking of you this morning, Doug, wondering if you might be one of the lucky ones that owns an LP of an incredible self-titled fusion album from the 70's by a band called Good God? I'd been taunting myself for years listening to bits of it on Youtube, before finally coming across an LP of it last weekend for $20!!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:59
^Thanks for your reply, Michael, I would start with the Libra debut called Musica e Parole, it is their best work, simply wonderful.
   I have never heard Good God, but that sounds interesting! Congrats on that.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFpVzvHQuyY
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:08
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

^Thanks for your reply, Michael, I would start with the Libra debut called Musica e Parole, it is their best work, simply wonderful.
   I have never heard Good God, but that sounds interesting! Congrats on that.

Great, thank you, I will! From now on, you will be `Triumvirat AND Libra guy' in my eyes!

Here's is the Archives listing for that Good God band: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6737

Ha, I just found it on Ebay too, if you're interested! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Good-God-Original-SEALED-LP-Prog-Psych-1972-Atlantic-SD-7243-US-Press-/251428595279?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a8a4fe64f#ht_284wt_916

or

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOOD-GOD-Good-God-LP-1841-Broadway-address-saw-mark-Rock-Pop-/310429090009?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item48470400d9#ht_2841wt_1153

If you can afford it, Doug (the second option was cheaper), I urge you, GRAB IT!!! One of my absolute favourites fusion albums, a total knockout!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:09
Thank you, Duckman! I will listen when I get home (work blocks Youtube videos, booooo!)
alexinovela View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexinovela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:18
Hello dudes, new Dropshard album is coming out!

They started a campaign to raise some money and help their recording expenses etc... here it is
http://www.fundervine.com/project/dropshard-second-album/

Dropshard is an Italian prog-rock band, they released their debut album in 2011 called "Anywhere But Home"
Check their website for further infos: http://www.dropshard.net

Here is the video they are using to spread their campaign, really funny in my opinion!

Prog on! :)
Can you tell me where my country lies?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:47
Hey Mike I continued listening to Good God on the tube from the last time we spoke, It's really really good man!!

Should appeal to the duck too!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hey Mike I continued listening to Good God on the tube from the last time we spoke, It's really really good man!!Should appeal to the duck too!

I just listened to it again on my way into work, Sagi, it's just endlessly good! Not a bad second on it, I can't recommend it more highly! I bought the vinyl, but I think it was reissued on CD not too long ago either?

I can't believe it's so unknown!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 13:22
Michael, take a look at my last poll. I swear, it's a pure coincidence Big smile 
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 13:30
I was just listening to Procession today and yesterday after a very long time I haven't, man are those outstanding albums or what? They are two very different albums and I think I prefer Frontiera over Fiaba, I love those energies all over the album and Gianfranco is one hell of a singer.
Essential Italian hard rock progressive stuff!! Any big fans like me here?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 13:32
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Michael, take a look at my last poll. I swear, it's a pure coincidence Big smile 

So in addition to being a well of progressive information and a genuinely nice guy, Pierre is now also a mind-reader!

Hope you enjoy that album, Pierre

Sagi, now I need to check out Procession as well as Doug's Libra recommendation! It never ends, my friend!

COuld you possibly recommend the best album to start with please?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 13:37
Both Mike, even if I prefer FIABA. Heart  GOOD GOD !
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 14:02
Oh Mike I was sure you already knew them. First of all I agree with Pierre both of them are excellent an worth having eventually. It's down to what you prefer listening to, Frontiera is much more hard rock progressive a lot of great solos and stuff and Fiaba is more eclectic featuring saxophone and flute, not hard rock. I personally prefer the first it's a dynamite!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 14:32
Just have a listen and decide for yourself, here's a song from each album Smile

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 17:20
I prefer Fiaba but have to admit that I didn't listen to the debut
very often.

Didn't they do some sort of remake album much later? How is this one?
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 17:43
And the next one in the series:

Museo Rosenbach Live in Tokyo (seems to be a double)
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 17:59
The Good God CD on Flawed Gems is a bootleg by the way (as all
releases by this pirate lable)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 08:35
A great review from Windhawk of the L'Albero del Veleno album on the front page right now!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1134763
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 275276277278279 358>