Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 16:21
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I forgot, got some goodies in today:

CAP Il Teatro delle Ombre (4CD book (and it is a BOOK (ringfolder))
La coscienza di Zeno (debut, bought again 'cause Mini LP with 2 bonus tracks)
Secret Tales - L'Antico regno (just heared this, Celtic Folk with heavy Gothic with italian symphonic, strange but goood)
FEM - Sulla bolla di sapone
Latte Miele Passio secundum Mattheum the Complete Work (redone classic)
Nuovo idea Live anthology (DVD)
Finistere - Memoirs
Syndone - Odysseas

Any comment on those welcome.

Attention RPI team and fans, 
On CAP's Il Teatro delle Ombre 4CD extravaganza, three people were chosen to preface the album and yours truly has written an English intro/dedication.  
I am honored to personally know these lovely Italians, true world-class people! Clap

This is what I call a unique package, one of those items you would simply buy becauce they look overwhelming.

4CDs: New Studio Album, Outakes, Versions etc., Live, Anniversary Issue of the debut.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 16:24
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

L& M : The complete work (first youtube clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6xYel9ZplM

Like the new Version, but I think I still would prefer the original.

I was a bit sad that the used all those guest stars (like a who is who of Italo Prog vocalists) only as narrators.

Edited by TheH - April 24 2014 at 16:30
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 18:41
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I forgot, got some goodies in today:

CAP Il Teatro delle Ombre (4CD book (and it is a BOOK (ringfolder))
La coscienza di Zeno (debut, bought again 'cause Mini LP with 2 bonus tracks)
Secret Tales - L'Antico regno (just heared this, Celtic Folk with heavy Gothic with italian symphonic, strange but goood)
FEM - Sulla bolla di sapone
Latte Miele Passio secundum Mattheum the Complete Work (redone classic)
Nuovo idea Live anthology (DVD)
Finistere - Memoirs
Syndone - Odysseas

Any comment on those welcome.

Attention RPI team and fans, 
On CAP's Il Teatro delle Ombre 4CD extravaganza, three people were chosen to preface the album and yours truly has written an English intro/dedication.  
I am honored to personally know these lovely Italians, true world-class people! Clap

Well done, Thomas!! You must be so humbled and proud!

I will definitely be buying this set very soon!   
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2014 at 20:09
It comes with a massive 150 page book of mostly photos as the band celebrates 40 years of making delightful music. The big thrill for all prog fans is the remaster of their monumental opus 'Nei Gorghi del Tempo" , a personal top 10 all-time prog masterpiece. The original album has been impossible to find, in fact I started my friendship with Mau Venegoni by sending him a chance e-mail in 2002 in order to find a copy. He sent me HIS copy as well as the yet unreleased "Il Bianco Regno do Dooah" . Then I met him and Massimo in Milan in 2003, a magnificent night us three will never ever forget! Hence , my dedication.....Though pricey, this is a REAL prog music collectors item , my friends, from honest, caring and good human beings. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 12:21
Wow, A lot of new names being listed here on some of the denizens orders that I am not familiar with.  I kept looking for CAP in PA but could not find it until I stumbled upon the name Consorzio Acqua Potabile, and then it dawned on me....Embarrassed LOL.  Have not heard them yet.

Nice looking collector's item with Tszirmay's input!  Clap

So many bands, so little time (and money)....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2014 at 20:05
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

So many bands, so little time (and money)....

Jim, welcome to the problem I more or less face every single day!   

We're more or less addicts, eh?! One bands leads to some brief bit of information that leads onto another, etc etc.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 14:37
Had some time to watch the Nuova Idea DVD.

First: I really love it. Second: calling it
"Paolo Siani and Friends" would have been more honest.

The main Feature is a concert from Verona Dec. 2012.

Paolo Plays with number of very compotent young guys.
The lead vocalist is clearly Roberto Tiranti (New Trolls,
RDM, Ken Hensley) joined by the lovley Ottavia Bruno.

Both also sang on Siani's CASTLES, WINGS, STORIES & DREAMS Album.
Of course at least half of the played material is from that Album.

After some songs Ricky Belloni joins in, followed by Giorgi Usai.
So for some time there are three former New Trolls members on stage.

After some time the flute player takes over the lead vocals and I kept
Scratching my head from where I know this voice.

Took me some time to get it, that's Andrea Calzoni from Psycho Praxis,
and not only him but also the entire line up of Psycho Praxis is
the band on stage!

The concert took place ina very small Club, so the stage is really crowded all the time. The camera is very upfront so that on my big flat screen I got the nice impression that the band played in my living room.

That next Feature are two tracks of a concert in Genova also featuring
Ricky Belloni and Giorgio Usai. On "Clessidra" Flaviano Cuffari Play the drums, who was Nuova Ideas Drummer in the last days of the original band.

On Sara' Cosi' we also get Marco Zaccheddu in a guitar solo duell with his follow up in Nuova Idea Ricky Belloni.

The RAI archives Videos are really fun to watch, but of course you
can find them all on YT.

Very nice DVD indeed.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 19:22
H, thank you for your thoughts on the Nuova IDea DVD, mine just arrived in the mail today! You've got me more eager than ever to watch it!

I wondered about the `Paolo Sini and Friends' thing, and you've encouraged me to dig out that LP and give it a new spin! I always rather liked it!

Can't wait to hear Andrea from Psycho Praxis on it, if onle their studio album had been sung in Italian! It's still a terrific album all the same.

Will report back!
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 03:31
Hey dudes.I've recently listened to some instrumental RPI including Hostsonaten's seasons albums and  Stati Di Immaginazione by PFM.I should say that I'm completely blown away!What a beautiful music!I really like how many different instruments like guitars,piano,synths and flute are played skillfully and emotionally in these albums.Could you recommend me more instrumental RPI albums like these?I'm not comfortable with vocal included music that I can't understand(italian I mean).Thanks in advance.

Edited by aliano - April 29 2014 at 03:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 04:45
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

Hey dudes.I've recently listened to some instrumental RPI including Hostsonaten's seasons albums and  Stati Di Immaginazione by PFM.I should say that I'm completely blown away!What a beautiful music!I really like how many different instruments like guitars,piano,synths and flute are played skillfully and emotionally in these albums.Could you recommend me more instrumental RPI albums like these?I'm not comfortable with vocal included music that I can't understand(italian I mean).Thanks in advance.

Hi there Aliano! Welcome to the Italian prog corner of the Archives!

I don't have all of the Hostsonaten albums, but I love `Winterthrough', I have that one on vinyl. A beautiful album!

I'm curious myself now, I've never heard that particular PFM album, so I'm going to look into it!

Now, some recommendations for you, but first a question!

Would you like recommendatiosn of vintage albums from the 70's, or modern releases? Perhaps the best of both?
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 05:56
I think I prefer newer releases but the best works of the classic era are accepted tooThumbs Up
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 06:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm curious myself now, I've never heard that particular PFM album, so I'm going to look into it!

Yo Mike, I heard you saying that before sometime. Stati Di is one hell of an album! I know you're a PFM fan so this should be easy for you. I think it's the best post 70's PFM album (among the ones I know anyway...) and better than Jetlag Wink
For me it's right up there with their classic stuff. It has some great atmospheres and superb playing, Mussida particularly is on fire, and of course top that with some gentle beautiful melodies like only PFM can deliver. Although it goes towards more fusion realms I think it does have that italian flavor in it, definitely worth having.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 06:09

I think I prefer newer releases but the best works of the classic era are accepted tooThumbs Up

Well, to get you started on some modern albums:

Progenesi:

(more clips available on Youtube of their debut album)

The Mad Fellaz:

and a favourite vintage release, `Triade's sole album with lots of classical bombast - although it just occured to me only the first side is instrumental, the second half had some lovely vocal pieces. See what you think anyway, it's a great album! :

Triade:

That should keep you busy investigating for now, although hopefully some of the others in here can offer more suggestions!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 06:38
Hey there aliano, I can recommend only 70's stuff, which are different than the albums you know but are still very italian and instrumental. You can check it out on utube I guess...

Picchio Dal Pozzo - S/T
Goblin - Roller
Roberto Colombo - Sfogatevi
Sensations' Fix - Portable Madness
Bella Band - S/T

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 06:51
Thanks, Sagi! That's two votes now for that particular PFM album! I've checked Syn-phonic, Greg Walker doesn't seem to have it listed in stock, but I'll send him an email asking just in case.

Terrific album suggestions there, too Sagi! I cannot believe I didn't instantly suggest Gobln's `Roller' - one of my top 5 prog albums of all time!

The Sensation's Fix is probably not far behind either!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 07:02
I know those are special favorites of yours, there are so many albums out there so it's hard remembering them all. You know I keep lists of my albums, it's easier to keep track of what I have.
Andrea Cortese View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Cortese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 07:07

Hi there Aliano! Welcome to the Italian prog corner of the Archives!

I don't have all of the Hostsonaten albums, but I love `Winterthrough', I have that one on vinyl. A beautiful album!

Now, some recommendations for you, but first a question!

Would you like recommendatiosn of vintage albums from the 70's, or modern releases? Perhaps the best of both?

I agree on Winterthrough. Beautiful music.Clap

But the best from the Hostsonaten 4 seasons cycle is Autumnsymphony with its jazzy tinged atmosphere!

Summereve is a step below those two. Springsong has a more prominent celtic sound and I don't like very much. In fact I haven't been listening to it - in its entirety - for years.

Edited by Andrea Cortese - April 29 2014 at 07:08
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 07:29

Well, to get you started on some modern albums:

Progenesi:

(more clips available on Youtube of their debut album)

The Mad Fellaz:

and a favourite vintage release, `Triade's sole album with lots of classical bombast - although it just occured to me only the first side is instrumental, the second half had some lovely vocal pieces. See what you think anyway, it's a great album! :

Triade:

That should keep you busy investigating for now, although hopefully some of the others in here can offer more suggestions!

I liked your first two suggestions especially ProgenesiClap

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Hey there aliano, I can recommend only 70's stuff, which are different than the albums you know but are still very italian and instrumental. You can check it out on utube I guess...

Picchio Dal Pozzo - S/T
Goblin - Roller
Roberto Colombo - Sfogatevi
Sensations' Fix - Portable Madness
Bella Band - S/T

Thank you. I'm now listening to Goblin an Sensations' Fix PA mp3 samples and I like themClap
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 19:08
I've had so many bad days of late it was wonderful to see Stefano Testa mention me in this article.  His music is wonderful and I again urge RPI fans to seek it out.  Grazie Stefano!

http://www.insulareport.it/cultura/item/5372-stefano-testa-il-cantautore-che-osserva-il-silenzio-mondo.html#.U2A-Blen-Xt

Stefano Testa, il cantautore che osserva... il silenzio mondo!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2014 at 19:22
Well done, Jim! How gratifying!

Sorry to hear about your bad run, my friend, I'm in a current rut of annoying health/sick issues, so I'm a little down myself.

But know you've got some good genuine friends here for you, if there's anything we can do, I'm sure we'll try to make it happen!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 285286287288289 358>