Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 02:13
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

Yeah, Osage Tribe... how could I not remember?

Procession... their 2nd album features mellotron parts by Ettore Vigo

Of course, but I was refering to their excellent debut.
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seventhsojourn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 03:33
Melos by Cervello.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 06:27
^ Hmmmmmmm.........Damn I think you're right. Although I seem to recall some keys adding very small parts and textures, there's no actual keyboard "playing", so I guess you're right.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 06:32
Just vibraphone, I think. So no keys, but the key of pure happiness Big smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 06:45
Ha, thank you guys! I've been digging out a few of these out again and replaying with fresh ears!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Question time guys!

Can you think of any RPI bands that do NOT use keyboards? The RPI group is currently evaluating a band called Lineateorica, who do not use keyboards, and it got me thinking - I'm sure I've encountered this before, but just can't work out which bands!!

Can anyone please suggest some?

Omg ya got me, buddy. Have not a freakin' clue.
I think it's safe to say that the best RPI bands that I've come across for my listening tastes all use keyboard/synths.
It's just human nature.
Hope your feeling better as well, my friend. I recommend a good dose of GOBLIN followed by half a bottle of nightquil.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 18:03
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hello there den dwellers!
Any Il Paese del Balocchi fans out there?
Man I am digging Evasione right now

Fabulous album! Kind of buried in all the 1972 RPI amazement, but it's one I dig out regularly.
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 18:06
By the way, La Coscienza di Zeno's excellent debut album was recently reissued by Fading (it was originally on Mellow). I think the mastering is the same, but they've added two bonus tracks and repackaged it in a very nice mini lp format! Not a digipack--a high quality mini lp. And the bonus tracks are quite good, not on par with the rest of the album, but still quite good. I think they're outtakes from the album. Available with Greg Walker at Synphonic, among other places, if interested!

My Gnosis Ratings

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 18:12
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I can only think of one instance of keys on that masterpiece debut--check out the mellotron here at about 1:24. One of my favorite hooks on that album. Boy do I love that album!

Edited by Todd - May 15 2014 at 18:15

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 15:26
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

By the way, La Coscienza di Zeno's excellent debut album was recently reissued by Fading (it was originally on Mellow). I think the mastering is the same, but they've added two bonus tracks and repackaged it in a very nice mini lp format! Not a digipack--a high quality mini lp. And the bonus tracks are quite good, not on par with the rest of the album, but still quite good. I think they're outtakes from the album. Available with Greg Walker at Synphonic, among other places, if interested!

A very good album (much better than their second), which I liked
so much that I rebought this new issue.

The two Bonus tracks were released before on two different COLOSSUS/Musea themed compilations.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2014 at 15:57
^ Ah H, I knew I could count on you! 

I agree that the first album is lots better than the second. I hope they can recapture the magic if they have another.

Also like you, I bought the reissue just to have the mini lp format. I didn't know about the bonus tracks. And now that you mention the compilations, I checked my cds and see that they come from Decameron and the Tales of HP Lovecraft. Good call!!

My Gnosis Ratings

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Hello there den dwellers!
Any Il Paese del Balocchi fans out there?
Man I am digging Evasione right now

Fabulous album! Kind of buried in all the 1972 RPI amazement, but it's one I dig out regularly.

Sorry Todd, I missed your reply.

But yes, in all of 1972s splendour and vivaciousness, sometimes it's these rare little gems that sadly are overlooked. I am listening to it yet again as we speak, and it is just wonderful. I love the vast gaps there are between soft almost whispering classical music, to the all out prog rock zooming out of this thing!

Another one of my favourite Italians, whom I spin a lot, is Franco Battiato. How do you feel about ol Franco, Todd? Those first four albums of his hold a very special place in my heart. Clic, in particular, for being such a late bloomer:-)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:08
I posted this one on my poll   two weeks ago with no success .Shocked It's an old american  psychedelic folk friend, languishing and mesmerizing,  somewhere between Batiiato, Sorrenti and Capuano. Enjoy. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbJ-ypvh6LU
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:11
Is that a gimmick art work or what?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:15

Arrowhead !! Another I haven't revisited for some time......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:17
The album cover is modelled on a box of Total Cereal.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:18
Nice:-)

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 06:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Arrowhead !! Another I haven't revisited for some time......

Tom, this album usually gets bashed by the RPI fans (and rated very low here). I agree it's not a symphonic prog album but more of an energetic crazy jam, but is it good? Yep I think it really is!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 13:15
Delirium will have a new album out called “L’era della menzogna” soon.
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 13:48

Another one of my favourite Italians, whom I spin a lot, is Franco Battiato. How do you feel about ol Franco, Todd? Those first four albums of his hold a very special place in my heart. Clic, in particular, for being such a late bloomer:-)

Battiato is one of those artists that has been kind of evasive for me--meaning, whenever I listen, I think it's okay but don't quite understand all the fuss. Zappa is another one. I have Battiato's first four albums and another later one, but they don't hit that special level for me. Yet. Sometimes a flower takes time to bloom!

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 358>