Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Italian Prog Appreciation den

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 358>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:34
^ That's excellent, Pierre! Thanks!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2014 at 13:35
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

^^ Michael, I'm with you. I prefer the physical product. But when they've been OOP for so long, they can be very expensive! For example La Compagnia Digitale is currently on eBay for $100! Yeah, it's okay, but it's not that good. I like to listen to these and then go out and pay the big bucks for the great ones!

^ Sagi, I know the sound on those archival albums really stinks. But live recordings of some of these bands are so rare and of great historical value, that I love to listen to them anyway. Latte e Miele is pretty good as I recall, and the early versions of Zarathustra are very cool to hear.

Oh I agree completely. I have tons of stuff I managed to download over the years from prog sites, all kinds of rare unofficial live albums, I'm interested in that live Jumbo album there Smile

One thing about prog fans, we don't care for crappy sound just as long as the music's any good...

Edited by Sagichim - June 16 2014 at 13:36
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 15:03
Fans Alan Sorrenti could be interested by this one 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAkxdXkXhZw

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 16:55
As I promised some feedback to our australian feathered friend:

Astrolabio:

Really a fine piece of work, an great variety of styles with an overall good balance. In their weirder moments they come close to "Deus ex Machina". A remarkeable offical debut. (4 soild stars)

Just listening the first time to the new LogoS album will typing this,
seems to be a (big) winner (need some more spins).

Heared Sezione Frenante's (a 70s band) debut once till now. A good synphonic prog Album, maybe a bit to harmless.

Humana Prog: Brilliant long track as opener, really beautifull folk prog with lots of flutes violin and warm organ. The other tracks are much simpler, mostly vocals, acoustic guitars and percussion (nice but
not really the stuff I prefer).

Greenwall:
Their last Album was underated symph prog, this new one is rather different. Orchestrated (keys) backgrounds with fantastic female
vocals. Somehow a mix of Art Pop, Classical sounds, Folk and lots of Jazz (and some Prog of course). Really recommended (though different).

Still sit on a number of other albums to go through...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2014 at 23:08
I was listenning to this one last night. Romantic beauty !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnbYOCRUQG4

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 12:13
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Astrolabio:

Really a fine piece of work, an great variety of styles with an overall good balance. In their weirder moments they come close to "Deus ex Machina". A remarkeable offical debut. (4 soild stars)

Heared Sezione Frenante's (a 70s band) debut once till now. A good synphonic prog Album, maybe a bit to harmless.

Humana Prog: Brilliant long track as opener, really beautifull folk prog with lots of flutes violin and warm organ. The other tracks are much simpler, mostly vocals, acoustic guitars and percussion (nice but

Greenwall:
Their last Album was underated symph prog, this new one is rather different. Orchestrated (keys) backgrounds with fantastic female
vocals. Somehow a mix of Art Pop, Classical sounds, Folk and lots of Jazz (and some Prog of course). Really recommended (though different).

Greenwall is a band that continues to surprise. They were so technical and abrasive, a difficult listen in fact until I got used to their sound. Then their last one veers over into the Symphonic realm and now the description of the latest has me interested. Man these guys are intelligent players who can play with the best of them.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 16:55
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Astrolabio:

Greenwall:

Greenwall is a band that continues to surprise. They were so technical and abrasive, a difficult listen in fact until I got used to their sound. Then their last one veers over into the Symphonic realm and now the description of the latest has me interested. Man these guys are intelligent players who can play with the best of them.

A track from the album showing the diversity of styles, love it:

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 17:12
Great H! Glad you liked the Astrolabio!

Thanks for the heads up about a few other titles, more to look in to!

It never ends...and that's a good thing!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 17:29
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Thanks, Italy is a horn of plenty if it come to Prog.

Still have to spin the new Nodo Gordiano (I think Finnforest Review
is spot on) and the latest CONQUEROR (not heared yet).

The pace of releases is higher than my wages at the moment

Loads of stuff on the finishing line at the Moment
(Abash,DAAL,Egonon,Gran Turismo Veloce,Catafalchi del Cyber,Fonderia,
Promenade etc.)

Altare Thotemico will havea DVD out soon,SLIVOVITZ started recording
a new album..

etc. etc.

Edited by TheH - June 21 2014 at 17:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 01:16
Two albums from Argentina inspired by the 70's RPI movement. Great stuff !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtjydOoMsEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmRJ0UxcP8

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 11:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Astrolabio.
Buddy, I forgot to tell you that I very much enjoyed your review on their debut album. 5 beans huh? That's high praise. Looks like i shall lend an ear....or 2!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2014 at 18:41
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Two albums from Argentina inspired by the 70's RPI movement. Great stuff !

Pierre, I bought the CD reissue of this one about a year ago, some of the vocals are a little dated, but it's generally excellent. I've kept it on my Ipod so I can eventually review if hopefully!

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Astrolabio.
Buddy, I forgot to tell you that I very much enjoyed your review on their debut album. 5 beans huh? That's high praise. Looks like i shall lend an ear....or 2!

I think you'll dig this one too, Nick! Check out this promo track of samples of the album:

As soon as there's some full clips I'll post them.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 04:22
Very good album, Mike. Personally I prefer the Sintesis album from 76. But only Lp.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 04:38
Yes, I love it Pierre, might listen to it on the way home from work soon!

Other then where they originate from, does the Sintesis one have any relation to the Agnus album? Beautiful artwork on that one too! Will give the clip a spin when I'm home - short album at 27 minutes!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 04:53
Dunno, my 'D-Day' is tomorrow............(just ask Aussie-Byrd......).
If I never appear on P.A. again, blame it on IGA.......
Seriously though, still, to this day, my ultimate, ultra-fave RPI fave has got to be Le Orme's Uomo di Pezza. May this fact be known ( and I have well over 100 RPI Prog LP's).......
Hard to beat this Orme album for me.....

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 23 2014 at 04:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 05:22
My fav Le Orme too. Heart But there are 6 albums from them that I adore. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 11:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Seriously though, still, to this day, my ultimate, ultra-fave RPI fave has got to be Le Orme's Uomo di Pezza. May this fact be known ( and I have well over 100 RPI Prog LP's).......

Hope you survived your D-Day!  That Le Orme album was my second RPI album that I purchased and is in my top 3 of RPI...so far.

Been listening to this one lately, good stuff!Thumbs Up
Reale Accademia Di Musica Reale Accademia Di Musica  album cover

Real accademia di musica, its on the Tube...sorry do not have the link handy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:02
The link 

Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWa5u0Kf66U

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:05
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The link 

Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWa5u0Kf66U

Thank you my fine feathered friend!  The work location I am at today blocks the Tube...
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 12:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 358>